(Topic ID: 334467)

Is the act of tipping currently out of control?

By gandamack

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,188 posts
  • 217 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by Mr_Tantrum
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    R (20).gif
    FB_IMG_1688598293445 (resized).jpg
    20240408_204007 (resized).jpg
    20240408_203958 (resized).jpg
    20240408_202750 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1712596541857 (resized).jpg
    just-the-tip.gif
    giphy (15).gif
    tired-af-insomnia.gif
    83038015-13252729-Customers_from_around_the_world_have_shared_absurd_service_charg-a-40_1711727286016~2.jpg
    ball washer with tip jar (resized).png
    proxy-image (6).gif
    thumbnail_image0 (resized).png
    IMG_4323 (resized).jpeg
    20240309_194843 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigehrl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 1 year ago

Patronizing service establishments is a privilege, not a right. You're always free to cook your own meals, make your own coffee, wash your own clothes, pick up all your own items, and drink alone in your living room. And the places that have added the gratuity option to their POS screens are just that, an option. You're always free to put 0%. There's a big difference between "expected" and "requested". Don't let your own guilt confuse those two words.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

They should get a better job.
    Fast food line work should be an entry level job, not a career.

Hmmmm... I wonder if that ever occurred to them. Perhaps you should mention it to the next line cook who makes your food for you.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Don't like the wage, don't take the job.
    Want a better wage, get a better job.

Yeah, it's just that easy! Why doesn't every desperate person with mouths to feed, bills to pay, and no access to education or employment resources just do that? You're just full of solutions today.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Say no to point of sale tipping, it encourages those corporations to pay their employees less.

Actually, it's bottom lines, share price, executive greed, and outdated minimum wage laws that encourages corporations to pay their employees less. POS tipping just gives the customer an option to help out people who may be making less than them, struggling in their lives, or simply doing a great job. Which is purely optional. If you don't want to, you don't have to. But to openly protest it, and call for an outright collective ban of it is truly some cold-blooded shit.

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

We'll have a student worker for the summer starting in a few weeks. We'll be paying a wage that is more than he's earning now as a part time food service worker, but less than what I would call a "career wage". It's a learning experience position. Most of my "peers" worked similar jobs along the way.

great! that's one kid who won't have to work service industry jobs for the rest of their lives. any chance you're willing to offer this opportunity to the other 4.9Bil other people in the world who are under the age of 39, or are we back to square one?

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

If you want to participate in aiding the corporation's "bottom line" then go for it. You're being bamboozled.

Dammit, just yesterday I promised myself I wouldn't get bamboozled by another corporation! Why does this keep happening to me??

#107 1 year ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Just curious if you are a bar? If so, how well are you paying your employees?

I thought the name Jackbar would be a dead giveaway, but I've learned never to assume.

Anyway, yes, we're a bar. And I suppose how well I pay my employees is subjective, so you'd have to ask them. But our average employee stays with us for 5+ years, if that means anything. That said, they work mostly for tips, so the better question is... how well does the average patron tip? The objective answer seems to be "better than some in this thread".

#113 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

I just saw a sign saying cash tips appreciated.
    That means just scamming the federal taxes. I already pay soooo much taxes I’d appreciate if some others would chip in a little.

You really needed to see that sign to come to the conclusion that people prefer to not pay taxes?

#127 1 year ago
    Quoted from pincoin:

Does anyone tip a funeral director?

i always give the funeral director a tip... I tell them, don't put 'em in sideways.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigehrl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-act-of-tipping-currently-out-of-control?tu=bigehrl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.