(Topic ID: 334467)

Is the act of tipping currently out of control?

By gandamack

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,188 posts
  • 217 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by Mr_Tantrum
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    R (20).gif
    FB_IMG_1688598293445 (resized).jpg
    20240408_204007 (resized).jpg
    20240408_203958 (resized).jpg
    20240408_202750 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1712596541857 (resized).jpg
    just-the-tip.gif
    giphy (15).gif
    tired-af-insomnia.gif
    83038015-13252729-Customers_from_around_the_world_have_shared_absurd_service_charg-a-40_1711727286016~2.jpg
    ball washer with tip jar (resized).png
    proxy-image (6).gif
    thumbnail_image0 (resized).png
    IMG_4323 (resized).jpeg
    20240309_194843 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Daditude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#444 1 year ago

This is a VERY personal subject for me since I was a server and bartender for many, many years. Here's my two cents:

I typically tip servers and bartenders 20% or greater for their service. I will give larger tips for exceptional service. If I feel I was given subpar service that is the server's fault (many times this actually is NOT the servers fault, however), I will tip 15%.

This country has gotten away with restaurants underpaying staff for decades. Here in Texas, servers make 2.13/hr. You heard that right. Even at super high-end places they pay that and rarely, if ever, give raises. As such... some say the system is flawed. I'm not a lawmaker, so I don't have a say. What I can tell you is you should be tipping your servers.

Hotel employees, taxi services, and hair dressers should also be tipped. Some of them make MUCH higher wages than servers and bartenders, but taxis have to pay cab fees and hairdressers pay for booth space....so giving a little extra is always a nicety that makes up for some of the B.S. most of us don't see that they deal with regularly.

What I CAN'T STAND is the tipping at fast food places. They already enjoy the benefits of regular pay plus typically free food or large discounts. The phenomenon of the question about the added tip is just ridiculous unless they are somehow going WAYYYYYY above and beyond...and I can't fathom how that might be since I don't recall having ever seen it myself (and I go out to eat VERY FREQUENTLY)

#450 1 year ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

So everything is not bigger in Texas?

Exactly.

I was able to 'surpass the curve' however. I was Extremely good at what I did. I worked at some of the finest restaurants and had a wait for my section, even when the restaurant wasn't on a wait. I made excellent money.

I believe cream rises to the top, and serving tables/drinks is no different.

#473 1 year ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

It could be that your skin is too dry ? I googled this problem,and this is a short description for the cause of the problem. I have very dry skin, and touch screens give me trouble all the time.
    Almost all devices with touch screens these days, from phones to tablets, use capacitive touch screens. These work by using the electrical charge in our skin to sense where the screen is being touched. The electrical charge is greatest when our hands are warm and moist.
    In older people, dry skin is a common problem as less moisture is retained.
    Next time you're out,and you have to use an iPad to pay your bill,just spit on your fingers first.

Sooooo....you are saying he's too old??

#498 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

No one has mentioned yet how tipping can get you benefits. Be kind to others and it can come back around.
    My wife and I have season tickets at Target Field and the Twins. They have a beer wall with about 22 different beers. A few years ago they started with the swing the screen around for a tip thing. Beers back then were $12ish. Two beers were close to $25 so 20% was close to $5.
    Long runs the beer wall. Long is Vietnamese and understands english but doesn't speak it well. Long is the BEST! Super friendly, super nice and pores one hell of a beer. I would always wait and have Long help us.
    At some point I asked him if they shared the tips and he said yes. Next game I tipped by handing him a $5 bill and I've done that every game ever since.
    Damned if all of a sudden 2 beers cost me the price of one. If my wife is just having water, there's no charge for that. He'll quite frequently throw in a free bag of $6 peanuts.
    Same thing happens at a local restaurant we have breakfast at. We ask for the same waitress every time and the tip is always around 25% and is paid with cash. Funny how my senior selection is always a full one and now and then there's no charge for my orange juice and whatever we have to drink.

Bartenders and servers will absolutely hook you up if you take care of them .

2 weeks later
    #527 11 months ago

I saw this, it reminded me of the random ways companies "nickel and dime"

Screenshot_20230430-205158 (resized).pngScreenshot_20230430-205158 (resized).png
    8 months later
    #991 3 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I don't think the younger generations have enough monies to tip.

They don't have any issues asking for them however.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Daditude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-act-of-tipping-currently-out-of-control?tu=Daditude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.