There are two restaurants in my town that increased their menu prices to pay their staff the average salary they would normally make with tips, then did away completely with tipping. The change has been amazing. Waitstaff are no longer confined to their tables, so everyone helps everyone. You can hire a staff of 5 to run the tables and rotate 15 minute breaks with ease. And as a customer you no longer need to wait for your sever, you can ask anyone for help with your order.
It's awesome. I love it. You can feel it in the atmosphere how free and happy it is. I'll never go back to a tipping establishment for as long as I can help it.
Quoted from pinballplusMN:
Many young people got lazy during Covid and do not want to work. Ive heard this from dozens of small businesses
They might feel that way but the unemployment rate in the US is the lowest it's ever been, yet the workforce is smaller than it was just a few years ago, which is the actual problem.
The baby boomer generation -- the largest workforce generation in US history -- started retiring. This opened up a wave of new upper-level jobs and everyone qualified rose up, which happened through the chain of command, all the way down to the bottom where your fast food jobs and the like are located.
It just so happened it coincided with covid, which is a total coincidence. Covid isn't the reason for the shortfall. Everyone hiring minimum wage will have to wait it out for a while. This isn't going way for a few years.
Electrocute That $14 per hour is relative to where you live. If that was in Burlington Vermont where I live, people would be forced to spend 70% of their take home pay on rent, and use the other 30% on food, utilities, transportation, etc and no health insurance. Hopefully it's not as bad in your neck of the woods.