(Topic ID: 334467)

Is the act of tipping currently out of control?

By gandamack

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,336 posts
  • 227 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    this-is-the-way-mandalorian.gif
    IMG_0515 (resized).jpeg
    20240605_184236 (resized).jpg
    20240605_184231 (resized).jpg
    20240605_184233 (resized).jpg
    20240605_184159 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8097 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8056 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8081 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image1 (resized).png
    20240511_172442.jpg
    There are 1,336 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 27.
    #1301 38 days ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

[quoted image]

Yep same. It was funny to watch my credit score drop 60 points when I put a NIB Jaws on my CC, only to rise about 70 when I paid it off the next month. Lots of vendors are getting wise and charging an extra 3% for CC transactions because the CC companies charge them that. I get 2% cash back, so the -1% is often worth it to not have to deal with carrying wads of cash or (gasp!) checks around.

#1302 37 days ago

It’s me again from the UK, has the US gone mad must be something in the water. Do the tips really go to the server and kitchen staff? We have a minimum wage and very rarely hear servers complaining about how much they earn, it’s the taxi drivers who make comments about long hours to make a living and taxis over here a really expensive a 5 minute ride can cost about £6 crazy. Come to the UK a few pubs will add 10%. All restaurants will add an optional 10 or 12% whatever optional means. It’s been a while since we been to the US west coast and we never seem to have bills like I see here with all the extras added. Is this something thats happend after covid?

#1303 37 days ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I hear you. I'm so desperate to hire I just offered a job to an "engineer" (not licensed, just EIT after 20 years from graduating so never going to be professional engineer) that needs hip surgery who hopefully can handle what we give him. He was working some menial job after moving because nobody would higher him, supposedly because of the hip problem.

Same. One of my best engineers has no degree. Another engineering manager has no degree. They simply found their way into engineering, worked hard, learned all they could. Shit, as the manager of the group, I don’t know half of what they do. My skill is managing / directing and growing a group, something I truly enjoy. Yet, my schooling wasn’t for management.

#1304 37 days ago

I don’t know when but in our lifetime there will be robot bartenders and bartsias and waiters.

It’ll be like when I tell my kids I didn’t have a computer or cell phone or internet when I was a kid. Kids that are alive today will tell their kids that in their time used to be humans who worked at McDonald’s or Starbucks and swiveled an iPad to get tipped.

#1305 37 days ago
    Quoted from jam878:

Incredibly ignorant to the reality…I had to take a barista job to make ends meet, there aren't really a ton of options…people aren't in a circumstance where they can be choosy…they just need a job and are desperate to work

Your reports of a bad economy are simply Russian disinformation.

#1306 37 days ago
    Quoted from rai:

I don’t know when but in our lifetime there will be robot bartenders and bartsias and waiters.
    It’ll be like when I tell my kids I didn’t have a computer or cell phone or internet when I was a kid. Kids that are alive today will tell their kids that in their time used to be humans who worked at McDonald’s or Starbucks and swiveled an iPad to get tipped.

My local Mexican restaurant already has a robot that carries your food to your table. A human still places it on your table, but the robot does all the transport. This is in a small North Carolina town of about 10,000 people, not NYC or LA.

#1307 37 days ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

My local Mexican restaurant already has a robot that carries your food to your table. A human still places it on your table, but the robot does all the transport. This is in a small North Carolina town of about 10,000 people, not NYC or LA.

Here at one place the robot brings and tells you to grab it.

#1308 37 days ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Here at one place the robot brings and tells you to grab it.

Do they still ask for a tip?

#1309 37 days ago

"COINS DETECTED IN POCKET!"

#1310 37 days ago

I was reading with new AI technology the robots can read your facial expression and see how you feel and talk to you like tell stories or whatnot.

I know all this AI is over promise such as self driving cars but it’s probably gonna happen. Luckily my job is virtually robot proof at least in my lifetime.

Feel sorry for all the truckers and taxi drivers etc but the businesses will do what the money says to do.

#1311 37 days ago

yes
    a humanoid takes the order.

#1312 37 days ago
    Quoted from rx3:

I disagree. People just don't know how to use them. I pay for everything on my credit card and pay it in full every month. Never have to pay a penny in interest. I get about $2,000 in rewards money every year. In addition, I can easily contest a purchase where they tried to rip me off.

Clearly you didn't understand my post. I said they are terrible for businesses, not consumers. I use the cards the same way you do, but businesses pay for that 2k. People need to remember that. Credit cards are like a disease for businesses and the impoverished.

#1313 37 days ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

EIT after 20 years

Wow. Did you find the least motivated engineer out there? I passed my EIT a few months after graduating, but then I got into software and no longer needed a PE license for my new line of work, but I was ready to go when it came time.

#1314 37 days ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Clearly you didn't understand my post. I said they are terrible for businesses, not consumers. I use the cards the same way you do, but businesses pay for that 2k. People need to remember that. Credit cards are like a disease for businesses and the impoverished.

Sorry I must have missed the "businesses"

#1315 37 days ago
    Quoted from metallik:

"COINS DETECTED IN POCKET!"

That would make me go Berzerk !

LTG : )

#1316 37 days ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

The business doesn't pay for it, we all do. It's baked into their retail prices

#1317 37 days ago

Credit cards give to folks who use them for rewards and take from those who carry balances. Do what it takes not to carry a balance - work work work the balance off and never again

They take from businesses also but many do not want to handle massive amounts of cash and want customers with credit lines ready to spend at my time

#1318 37 days ago

Just paid for a pizza delivery. Paid with a cc and asked how he'd prefer the tip...actual cash or through the machine? He said cash.

I asked if it was because he had to split it with everyone else at the shop? He sheepishly said yes.

I gave him a $5 bill.

#1319 37 days ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Credit cards give to folks who use them for rewards and take from those who carry balances. Do what it takes not to carry a balance - work work work the balance off and never again
    They take from businesses also but many do not want to handle massive amounts of cash and want customers with credit lines ready to spend at my time

I've never carried a balance in my life. I've also never met a business owner who likes dealing with credit card companies or thinks the fees are fair.

#1320 36 days ago

Always tip

#1322 34 days ago

I wonder if the no tax on tips would reign this in some haha I only tip people on walk-up transactions if the person goes out of their way to talk to me or has some humor.

#1323 34 days ago

My basic personality and income hasn’t changed in the last 15 or so years. What changed was every checkout device now has a tip option. That is the choice of the person that owns the cash register.

There is no reason I have to change my behavior because the checkout now offers an option for me to pay more.

I don’t get a discount for bagging my own groceries. The merchant / credit devices are attempting to move the social needle by implying you should tip for services that were not historically included in the tip category culturally.

#1324 34 days ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

Yet, my schooling wasn’t for management.

I know there are degrees in this, but I don't think you can really teach management. Either you are a leader or not, IMO. Yes, one can get and implement good tips, but still, it's part of you.

#1325 34 days ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

Wow. Did you find the least motivated engineer out there? I passed my EIT a few months after graduating, but then I got into software and no longer needed a PE license for my new line of work, but I was ready to go when it came time.

Some people just can't pass the test. The EIT is easier and often done your junior or senior year in college. Some colleges require it for graduation. For the PE exam, after you get your mandatory time on the job, they may try a time or three when young and give up if they don't pass. I believe it would be rare for someone to get their PE license decades after graduating. Some places you can still move up without PE, but you usually reach your ceiling. For example, all places I've worked, you can't be a superivsor for an engineering group without a PE. I have one Engineering Tech with a degree in engineering and EIT and she straight up says she likes being a tech and doesn't want to make big decisions. She's a good tech though, but won't be higher than that.

1 week later
    #1326 22 days ago

LTG : )

#1327 21 days ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #1328 19 days ago

I’m usually not a big tipper at take-out but I’ll throw a buck on the Jersey Mike’s app when I feel like.

Today I found an interesting new twist. I was at 5 Guys and the card reader showed the tip options and I usually hit no tip but it had a 5% tip option that’s was 73 cents so I gave that. If the option started at 10/15/20% I would not have given anything.

#1329 19 days ago
    Quoted from rai:

I was at 5 Guys and the card reader showed the tip options and I usually hit no tip but it had a 5% tip option

Isnt 5 guys fast food like McDonalds? Not the quality of the hamburger, but rather you order standing up?

#1330 19 days ago

Stand-up rule, I love it!

How long until stand-up places start doing the bartender trick? (giving you all the change in 1's)

#1331 19 days ago

They already do that at Great Clips

#1332 19 days ago
    Quoted from benheck:

giving you all the change in 1's

I am perfectly fine with this at certain entertainment venues

#1333 19 days ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

They already do that at Great Clips

Great Clips surely earns their $1 tip.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #1334 19 days ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

Isnt 5 guys fast food like McDonalds? Not the quality of the hamburger, but rather you order standing up?

Yes it is, but my point is if it's only a few quarters that's more palatable than a few bucks when they ask for 10-20% as a tip.

#1335 13 days ago

Moe's catering wants you to add a 20% tip. I'm spending $1500 on food that's dropped off, but sure, I'd love to add another $300.

#1336 13 days ago

I say No Moe!

There are 1,336 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.