(Topic ID: 334467)

Is the act of tipping currently out of control?

By gandamack

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,188 posts
  • 217 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 days ago by Mr_Tantrum
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    R (20).gif
    FB_IMG_1688598293445 (resized).jpg
    20240408_204007 (resized).jpg
    20240408_203958 (resized).jpg
    20240408_202750 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1712596541857 (resized).jpg
    just-the-tip.gif
    giphy (15).gif
    tired-af-insomnia.gif
    83038015-13252729-Customers_from_around_the_world_have_shared_absurd_service_charg-a-40_1711727286016~2.jpg
    ball washer with tip jar (resized).png
    proxy-image (6).gif
    thumbnail_image0 (resized).png
    IMG_4323 (resized).jpeg
    20240309_194843 (resized).jpg
    There are 1,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 24.
    #51 1 year ago

You ain’t been properly tipped until you get a gratuity from beelzeboob

#52 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Telling a fast food worker to “just get a better job” seems like telling a manic depressive to “just cheer up.”

Reminds me of when I accidentally asked a walmart cashier how she was doing..

She replied: "How do you think? I'm working at Walmart".

#53 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

We're not that formal. This person is enrolled, but we have had others in the past that are not.

This discussion makes my head hurt. You’re paying people with no education and prior experience MORE than they make working food service. You also think people don’t always need to make enough money to support themselves…yet your company is paying people presumably with the same background as a Five Guys employee MORE than Five Guys. Is it just that you think your job is better than that type of job? Why not pay less to the interns or offer an unpaid internship? I feel like you’re slowly making my argument for me…

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from koji:

At least her sense of humor is still intact. In a year or so Walmart will pulverize that out of her.

#55 1 year ago

Maybe add a poll
    Tip is earned
    Tip is a given

#56 1 year ago

I'll tip generously at restaurants and bars because that's the current way our system is setup, for better or for worse. I will resist any attempts to move tipping into other transactions. If you think your service or product is worth whatever, then price it at that amount and let me decide if I think it's worth it. Don't bait and switch me with a "regular" price then suddenly ask for another 20% while I'm checking out.

I also don't feel anyone is trapped into needing tips to survive. If you think you're not making enough money, there are other jobs. Enhance your skills, market yourself, make yourself valuable so that someone is willing to pay you the money you think you deserve. Oftentimes the servers I run into can barely take an order correctly and are slow and completely unmotivated.. why should I pay extra for that?

Tipping is definitely one thing the rest of the world (non-US) gets right.

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from koji:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#58 1 year ago

If one can afford to eat out at restaurants or buy coffee at Starbucks don't be a tightwad and skimp on the tip as you then go home to order a 10K NIB. Good grief

#59 1 year ago

I worked at a McDonalds for a long time (starting at $2.35 an hour), but none of us were trying to use that job as a way to support a family.

The real problem is that all the mid-level manufacturing jobs (that you could get without a college degree) no longer exist. So now those without a higher education are left with what used to be "kids" jobs - but now they are having to make a real living off of it.

#60 1 year ago

I only tip if you're serving me directly or delivering it to me. Period. I'm not tipping you to do your job and no amount of shaming will change that.

#61 1 year ago
    Quoted from koji:

I had a similar ish situation one time. I was on a country road and the car in front of me put their hazards on and pulled to the shoulder. I slowed down as I came up to ask if they had an issue and they aggressively waved me on and flipped me off haha

#62 1 year ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

I hate to sound like the Steve Buscemi character in Reservoir Dogs, but I feel tipping for a service has morphed into a monster in this country. It seemed to be heading that way prior to the pandemic and pre-Starbucks.... but not only has the standard 15 percent been eradicated, the list of services requesting/requiring a tip is insane. Anyhow....maybe I am just being a grumpy old man. What are your thoughts?

You may or may not be a grumpy old man, and I could sum it up in 1 sentence, but I would get moderated at the least. Suffice to say you are correct. "They have perverted everything". That is all I can say without reproach. That quotation may solicit reproach!

#63 1 year ago

If I sit down somewhere and receive actual service, I tip based on the quality on the service and I tip well for great service. If I get a delivery I tip based on them doing an extra service to deliver my food. I do not tip when I order to go or order at a cash register and get handed my food. Piss on that. The give a tip for literally anything these days I just ignore and go right on about my day. I don't feel bad about it and I don't care. The principle of tipping is based on you providing me something that is worth it.

#64 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

During Covid it was "a nice thing to do" to tip for take-out since they weren't getting tips with no one dining-in.

That's why I started tipping (in cash) when getting fast food in the drive-thru lane at places like Steak n Shake during Covid.

Last month I tipped the two guys who delivered and installed a new washing machine a twenty (told them to have lunch on me) when they stacked my existing dryer on top of the new washer (both front-loading machines). I think most people feel good when they choose to tip, but not when it seems to be demanded of them.

Question: How do any of you feel about tipping cows? (I am personally against it.)

Question: Is tipping your hat (as a sign of recognition or respect) a forgotten practice?

#65 1 year ago

Another stupid thread. How does this relate to pinball?

#66 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

I only tip if you're serving me directly or delivering it to me. Period. I'm not tipping you to do your job and no amount of shaming will change that.

I've always wondered when tipping via card and now with the point-of-sale ask, how is the collection distributed. When I tip with cash at the grocery pickup or at the Hair Lottery, I'm very confident that the worker gets 100% of the tip and I know for sure it is appreciated. When placing my order on the computer at the Taco Rock and answering the automated tip question, who's in on the payout? Is the merchant taking some? I dunno, but to me tipping a person seems much more authentic than tipping a computer.

-Rob
    -visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement Type 1 sound board for classic Williams games

#67 1 year ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Off Topic

#68 1 year ago

As a paperboy, you worked for tips. You were not expected to tip, and I was only allowed to ask for what you owed. If you gave me something for extra effort, such as making sure the paper was always dry, in the door, and on time, I appreciated it, but if I really wanted a better job, I'm afraid there were no other jobs offered a 15 year old boy at the time. I wasn't even making minimum wage, and newspapers had grandfathered in paperboys as independant contractors, buying papers at wholesale, and reselling at retail. If it wasn't for tips, I would have been working for pennys on dollars. Not everyone tipped, and those that did expected better service and I literally delivered it based on the level of their tips... the highest tippers got their papers delivered first by me on bike, then I finished walking the remainder of my route. I had 88 daily customers and 146 Sunday customers and about 40 that took Sunday and Wednesdays only. When I "purchased" the route from the guy who had it before me, I was expecting to make as much as he did. I started out making much less. Turns out he was the most dishonest paperboy they had ever had. He was double collecting and short changing customers all the time. He would collect from the husband and come back two days later in the morning on Saturday while husband was working overtime and collect again from the wife. People would hand him a $10 and he would give them change for a $5... people got the idea I was an honest paperboy, and then the tips started to flow for real. By the time I sold my route to the next sucker, I was making more than the old paperboy by being honest and hardworking. I always tip for a service well provided and when being served. If I am carrying my own food, or goods, then no tip. Its that easy.

#69 1 year ago

These type of posts never end well.

#70 1 year ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

You are in an off topic thread, wake up Francis...

#71 1 year ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

great! that's one kid who won't have to work service industry jobs for the rest of their lives. any chance you're willing to offer this opportunity to the other 4.9Bil other people in the world who are under the age of 39, or are we back to square one?

Just curious if you are a bar? If so, how well are you paying your employees?

#72 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

You are in an off topic thread, wake up Francis...

These type of posts never end well and we all know it

#73 1 year ago

Half those electronic tips don't even go to the employees, it's just the company skimming more money

Inflation goes up, prices go up, minimum wage doesnt -> employees need bigger tips to make rent, customer gets shafted twice

#74 1 year ago

A local restraunt started sneaking in(without notice) a mandatory tip for the cooks and it has created some backlash. Many people have boycotted the place for the shady practice. I have tipped the chef before at places that have an optional spot on the bill for that but I'll be damned if I pay one that you sneak in. They've also been taking a beating for it online I'm sure the couple hundred dollars they save a week scamming customers has cost them far more in sales.

#75 1 year ago

I just eat at home now, Ramen noodle for lunch and dinner. Im still 40 lbs over weight, but at least I got those dollars in my pocket!

#76 1 year ago

Average restaurant menu prices increased about 6% each of last two years. It seems that typical requested tips increased from 18% to 22%.

That means in past two years the tips increased about 1.06^2 * .22/.18 = 1.37%. I don’t think a lot of other professions got a 37% increase last two years. We can each decide for ourselves whether we think it’s deserved.

FWIW…daughter just graduated with a 4 year degree and ~3.9 gpa in Dec and realizes she can make more waitressing than getting an office job. So now the privileged are stealing the less privileges jobs!!!!

#77 1 year ago

The level of greed in this country is what is currently out of control.

#78 1 year ago
    Quoted from skink91:

In what way? That statement can mean several different things...

#79 1 year ago
    Quoted from skink91:

That’s probably true for most tippers and tippees

#80 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

I'm afraid there were no other jobs offered a 15 year old boy at the time. I wasn't even making minimum wage

I worked at Hardees when I was 15, for more than minimum wage. I'd looked at paper delivery years earlier and decided it wasn't worth the money. YMMV.

Quoted from Puffdanny:

A local restraunt started sneaking in(without notice) a mandatory tip for the cooks and it has created some backlash.

Yep, this is the bullshit I was talking about in earlier post. If you need to pay your employees more, then raise your damn prices. Don't pull sneaky garbage like this.

#81 1 year ago

Good old Judge Smails

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
    #82 1 year ago

I always tip the beer guy who loads cases in my car at the drive thru beer store. Not required but they bust their ass.

#83 1 year ago
    Quoted from curban:

FWIW…daughter just graduated with a 4 year degree and ~3.9 gpa in Dec and realizes she can make more waitressing than getting an office job. So now the privileged are stealing the less privileges jobs!!!!

Which school?

#84 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffro01:

In what way? That statement can mean several different things...

Why shouldn’t it?

#85 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Which school?

Major pac-12 school. I suspect her current decision is based on a number of reasons…but the ‘I can make more as a waitress’ is currently at least a convenient excuse.

#86 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

14 bucks is a decent starting wage? Would you work at Five Guys for 29K a year before taxes?

Well, $29K plus tips.....

#87 1 year ago

#88 1 year ago

i live in the bahamas part of the year. 10% VAT and 20% automatic tip when eating out.

i’m glad to pay only 15% here

#89 1 year ago

I tip like a rock star.

#90 1 year ago

Here's a one that gets some back and forth. If you go pickup a pizza there will often be a tip jar and if you pay by credit card there will be a tip line. What should you do? No one is directly serving you as at a restaurant and the workers are not being paid based off tips. This is an example where I find tipping to be out of control a bit, especially when many of these places are now charging $20+ for a large pizza + a credit card fee in some cases.

#91 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

I tip like a rock star.

That’s because you ARE a rockstar.

#92 1 year ago

#93 1 year ago

I'm a 1%er, I tip everybody.

#94 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Here's a big one that gets some back and forth. If you go pickup a pizza there will often be a tip jar and if you pay by credit card there will be a tip line. What should you do? No one is directly serving you as at a restaurant and the workers are not being paid based off tips. This is an example where I find tipping to be out of control a bit, especially when many of these places are now charging $20+ for a large pizza + a credit card fee in some cases.

Here is an example of being a tightwad, don’t be this guy

#95 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Well, $29K plus tips.....

Not from these tightwads by the sound of it .

#96 1 year ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Here is an example of being a tightwad, don’t be this guy

So are you tipping then at Taco Bell, the grocery store at checkout, etc?

#97 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

So are you tipping then at Taco Bell?

I don’t eat at garbage places …. But your scenario if you are even considering not tipping, makes you a tightwad, true story

#98 1 year ago
    Quoted from 1963BSARGS:

i live in the bahamas part of the year. 10% VAT and 20% automatic tip when eating out.
    i’m glad to pay only 15% here

Candidate for humble brag of the quarter right here.

#99 1 year ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

I don’t eat at garbage places …. But your scenario if you are even considering not tipping, makes you a tightwad, true stor

Nonsense. I've left 50% tips or more for great service. Places try to guilt you into tipping now when they do not provide a service that demands a tip.

Worlds are colliding! Me and panzer have some common ground.

#100 1 year ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

I don’t eat at garbage places …. But your scenario if you are even considering not tipping, makes you a tightwad, true story

Lol oh sorry, Taco Bell isn't good enough for you! Hey if I have cash me I'll happily put $1 into tip jar at my favorite local pizza place. Having a tip line though on a carry out receipt? Some people will see that as being forced to tip.

There are 1,188 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-act-of-tipping-currently-out-of-control/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.