Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Linkage
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2034.JPG
IMG_2040.JPG
IMG_2041.JPG
IMG_1887.JPG
IMG_1886.JPG
1959563_10203642445115916_7232711469495188089_n.jpg
IMG_1695[1].JPG
IMG_1693[1].JPG
IMG_1694[1].JPG
IMG_1689[1].JPG
DSC01094.JPG
IMG_1686.JPG
IMG_1685.JPG
IMG_1684.JPG
IMG_1683.JPG
IMG_1682.JPG

#1 5 years ago

I know this Pin gets a lot of hate, but my kids love it. It's sticking around, so it is time to give it the old spit shine.

I wish I could find the time or space to do some of the amazing restores you see on Pinside. I'm 40 pin/vids deep that need restore jobs though, so I recently decided for the future, I'm going strictly working condition only. As I trade and sell it toward my grails, I'll worry more about how nice everything looks. For now, I would just like to get a game room up and running.

I bought new rubbers, and had planned to install those and than tear it down again to fix a few other issues, but I think I am going to go ahead and do it all at once, even if it means the machine is down for a month.

Machine has mylar which has started to bubble in a few places. Looks fairly decent overaly, but nothing spectacular. Some ramps need a bit of work.

Here's my boys having a four player tourney with myself tonight.

IMG_1682.JPG

Starting to remove parts from the PF. I am going to have to use my camera next time, phone pics aren't cutting it..

IMG_1683.JPG

Some of the heavier wear where there is no mylar.

IMG_1684.JPG

Lots of dirt under the apron.

IMG_1685.JPG

Oh yes, that is a nail.

IMG_1686.JPG

#2 5 years ago

A nail....the ultimate hack. That game saw no love EVER. Have fun, the kids are gonna love it.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Linkage:

I bought new rubbers, and had planned to install those and than tear it down again to fix a few other issues, but I think I am going to go ahead and do it all at once, even if it means the machine is down for a month.

Hmm, that sounds eerily familiar. I don't regret sticking with it and fixing EVERYTHING I could identify at once, even at the expense of not playing yet. There's a lot of stuff to take apart, the deeper you go.

The theme does seem too easy to hate with Adult Cynicism (TM), but the excitement in your boys makes it utterly cherishable. A four-player birthday bash with dad? You can't beat that! I hope they enjoy and remember that. Starting 'em right... plenty of time before they need to start snickering at games like Family Guy...

#4 5 years ago

nailed it

#5 5 years ago

Looking forward to see how it goes. Poor Bugs gets no love.

#6 5 years ago

At least the nail is in a hole where a post should be, and not just somewhere random in (painted) wood.

#7 5 years ago

My Bugs probably get the most play out of my line up during party's. There is a LOT to say about a simple pin with a fun theme. Casual players do not usually care that the ruleset is deep of it's 18 ball multiball or designed by Soandso...

If you get to the point of needing some close up pics that IPDB is not enough to help you reassemble, just ask. If I have time I'll send you some.

DSC01094.JPG

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

My Bugs probably get the most play out of my line up during party's. There is a LOT to say about a simple pin with a fun theme. Casual players do not usually care that the ruleset is deep of it's 18 ball multiball or designed by Soandso...
If you get to the point of needing some close up pics that IPDB is not enough to help you reassemble, just ask. If I have time I'll send you some.

Thanks!

That's a nice looking Bugs. Is it LEDed?

#9 5 years ago

Well, the bulk of it is "cleaned". Cleaner I should say actually, need to try to clean some areas a lot more and do some polishing, but the straight up dirt is gone. I knew the machine was too dark, but I had no idea how many bulbs were out. I actually ran out of spares and need to order more.

Ewww, dirty leftovers.

IMG_1689[1].JPG

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Linkage:

Thanks!
That's a nice looking Bugs. Is it LEDed?

Yes. All but the 'candle' type inserts because LED's can't really mimic the flicker the way they implement it in the machine. Even the display is X-PIN. Since the vid below was take I've also replaced the chrome strips on the speaker panel. Only thing I may do someday is new decals on the cab as it does have some fade. BBBB's are notorious for that with all the red on white.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Linkage:

Well, the bulk of it is "cleaned". Cleaner I should say actually, need to try to clean some areas a lot more and do some polishing, but the straight up dirt is gone. I knew the machine was too dark, but I had no idea how many bulbs were out. I actually ran out of spares and need to order more.
Ewww, dirty leftovers.

IMG_1689[1].JPG 328 KB

Did you use Qtips and clean inside the inserts?

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Linkage:

Ewww, dirty leftovers.

IMG_1689[1].JPG 328 KB

Good grief, that looks pretty much like the pile of bulbs and towels after I cleaned up my yard sale Whirlwind. There were a total of 8-10 bulbs in the entire machine still working (besides the flashers).

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Did you use Qtips and clean inside the inserts?

Yup! Hopefully that helps.

Easily figured out why the drop targets are not working. One spring completely missing, and the other two are completely loose.

IMG_1694[1].JPG

As you can see, the targets are trashed. I have someone with a scan who is supposed to hopefully send me a copy when he gets a chance. I need to replace one of the targets completely, looks like it got chewed off. Targets are $4.00 each at Marco. Might be best to replace all three, as the new one might look a little off.

IMG_1693[1].JPG

Is there something missing here? The armature just seems generally loose.

IMG_1695[1].JPG

#14 4 years ago

Also do system 11 cabs have a universal key by any chance? I assume not. I've never had the head open and don't have a key. Hoping there is no board damage. I get the message "Factory Setting" is displayed on startup, and need to reset the pin to get it started.

Hopefully there is no battery damage and the thing is just dead or removed.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Linkage:

Hoping there is no board damage. I get the message "Factory Setting" is displayed on startup, and need to reset the pin to get it started.

The Factory Setting means the batteries are dead (and probably leaking).

Drill that lock out right NOW!

#16 4 years ago

The armature will be a little loose so there is play, no worries yours looks fine! Just make sure to clean all the dirt and gunk out of all the mechanical areas and anything that touches the drop target.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Linkage:

Ewww, dirty leftovers.

IMG_1689[1].JPG 328 KB

Yup, but it'll look good when done. Most I've bought looked ok, but as soon as you take off one thing, then its another and another......just unpacked an SS I'd had in storage for a year. Looked pretty great when I bought it, then I looked at the rubbers(outta there), one broken sling plastic (90 bucks later for a set).....but when you get this done we have to see it.....

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Linkage:

Also do system 11 cabs have a universal key by any chance?

Take a good look around the lower cabinet before you drill the lock. I have drilled many locks only to find the key hiding in the bottom of a cab under things or in envelopes.

#19 4 years ago

A perfect application for the 3m glass protector is in the drop target assembly for the coil as you can see here in one of my recent restorations. This eliminates the coil slop and replaces the double stick tape as used in the factory.

There is one on either side of the coil.

1959563_10203642445115916_7232711469495188089_n.jpg
#20 4 years ago

Thanks guys.

My tweety ramp is SMASHED (pics soon) so I picked up a new set from Pinball Australia. Killed me to pay this much, but like I said, I do think this one is going to be a family keeper.

ebay.com link

Also picked up the Ramp Protector Set from Cliffys to hopefully keep the new one from getting destroyed. Also grabbed a SW-SLOT-Universal Switch Slot protector for the Tweet drop. Plus some orange post sleeves which I think will look slick.

http://www.passionforpinball.com/bbbb.htm

#21 4 years ago

Cliffys have arrived. I'm actually not sure where the two other ramps go.

IMG_1886.JPG

Comparison of Cliffys (right) compared to generic posts. Color is a bit different, not sure which I like better. I am considering switching the star posts to orange as well.

IMG_1887.JPG

#22 4 years ago

Also figured out why my right kicker / slingshot wasn't working. No spring and part of the plunger link was snapped. More parts to order.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Linkage:

Also do system 11 cabs have a universal key by any chance? I assume not. I've never had the head open and don't have a key. Hoping there is no board damage. I get the message "Factory Setting" is displayed on startup, and need to reset the pin to get it started.
Hopefully there is no battery damage and the thing is just dead or removed.

Did you check the inside of the coin door for the key to the backbox? They are supposed to hang on a little wire loop on the inside of the coin door.

RM

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Linkage:

Also figured out why my right kicker / slingshot wasn't working. No spring and part of the plunger link was snapped. More parts to order.

One of the things that drives me most nuts about shopping a pin is always having to re order parts. You think you're done, then bam. Another order has to be placed. I HATE paying all that shipping.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

One of the things that drives me most nuts about shopping a pin is always having to re order parts. You think you're done, then bam. Another order has to be placed. I HATE paying all that shipping.

As do I. After paying over 100 bucks in shipping to complete my DW (THAT many #$&$ Re-orders!), I check a game over head-to-toe and take very thorough notes of everything I need. I start with the cab, and move up. PF is broken down into sections: Underside and top. Then up to the head. Figure out what I need, and order. So far it has saved me a bunch of re-orders.

#26 4 years ago

Does anyone know what events lead to the 50 Million shot in Bugs?

#27 4 years ago

Totally random with a percentage adjust. You can play the greatest game ever and not see it, then your wife walks up and on first ball, bam!, top score...

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

As do I. After paying over 100 bucks in shipping to complete my DW (THAT many #$&$ Re-orders!), I check a game over head-to-toe and take very thorough notes of everything I need. I start with the cab, and move up. PF is broken down into sections: Underside and top. Then up to the head. Figure out what I need, and order. So far it has saved me a bunch of re-orders.

I try to do the same.

Here's a funny thing that happened on my repop of GNR: some of the final steps I need to do was to reattach the g ramp entry switches to the post they sit on with those tiny little switch screws.

Well, I get to the last switch and I notice that the screws don't stay in place, and the switch just slides off. Ugh. I noticed that there were no tiny nuts (and I'm talking those super tiny ones) on when I took the switch off. SO, with about 99% of the game done, I have to order those tiny parts, which were like .25 and with shipping, etc. comes to like $10.

Well, after order is placed, I realized I had the screws on the wrong side of the switch! I screwed them in on the other side, and all was fine. However, my order for those damn nuts had already been sent.
Oh well, just the nature of the game I guess.

#29 4 years ago

Alright, so I cannot get three of the candles lights on the Candle Lamp Board to work. Any suggestions on where I should start looking? Traced out the wires and nothing. maybe check the diodes first? Seems odd for three to go.

#30 4 years ago

Also a couple of the switch (B-8536 switch & diode assy) are not working.

Marco does not have any:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/B-8536

Any alternative suggestions?

#31 4 years ago

Suggestion would be to not go swapping parts until you fully define the problem.

Which 3 candle lamps? There are 12 total spread across 2 columns so highly unlikely that you have a bad column/row. Did you look at the lamp matrix table in the manual to see if the 3 have something in common? You may just have a simple break in a line or a bad solder joint.

Which switches specifically? Did you look at the switch matrix table in the manual to see if the bad switches have something in common? Again, you may just have a simple break in a line or a bad solder joint. Did you meter the switches as you opened and closed them to make sure they are broken?

1 week later
#32 4 years ago

This is true, I need to get at it more, but I've been swamped with work and this has taken a backseat. Doesn't help either that I have been piling parts for this and other restores onto a list to order all at once to save on shipping to Canada. Total is now over $1,000 and I keep on holding back the trigger.

Threw the switch slot protector in to try to minimize the damage from the tweety ramp.

IMG_2040.JPG
IMG_2041.JPG

Also took the magic eraser to some of the PF and wow, did it ever make a differnce. Especially on the Mylar. Now, this machine will always be a dirty players quality pin, but it's like 1000x better than it was before.

Got my replacement ramp too. Slight difference?

IMG_2034.JPG

#33 4 years ago

I haven't seen one of these machines yet... Thanks for sharing something different with us.

--
Jeremy
Central WI

3 months later
#34 4 years ago

any update? I want see such an uncommon machine restored

2 weeks later
#35 4 years ago

Machine got folded up as I brought more stuff in. Horrible idea, but it happens. Ill get to it this year hopefully.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 50.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Pinball Vault
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Machine - For Sale
De Pere, WI
$ 129.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 27.99
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside