Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by ek77
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unknown-3.jpeg
    IMG_2407.JPG
    IMG_2406.JPG
    boys 013.jpg
    IMG_1976.JPG
    image.jpg
    image-387.jpg
    IMG_20130716_175131_250.jpg
    IMG_20130716_175152_269.jpg
    IMG_20130716_175959_366.jpg
    IMG_20140222_193009.jpg
    IMG_20131124_184428_155.jpg
    little man 2.jpg
    little man 1.jpg
    20140123_162546_zpscma8muub.jpg
    20130922_145645_zps21be51a4.jpg
    There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

I was wondering why it got so quite and then I found two of my granddaughters playing pinball. I've been teaching them to respect the game but still have fun. Sometimes they just flap the flippers but one of these days they're going to take over. These two are 4 and 6.

20140121_155400.jpg20140121_155400.jpg
    #2 10 years ago

Never too young! I put my two year old on a stool all the time to play with me.

IMG_3969.JPGIMG_3969.JPG
    #4 10 years ago

didn't get my first machine until my daughter was just turning 9, but she took to it immediately....loves all the ones that have come through the door since...

#5 10 years ago

These were 3 years ago, and she has gotten better since.11_0322x004.JPG11_0322x004.JPG11_0322x003.JPG11_0322x003.JPG

#6 10 years ago

These are great. I guess we don't have to worry about the future of this hobby. Pretty soon they'll be beating me.

#7 10 years ago

My rule is, if they need a stool, they're too young to play. Super fun to have every game just running on 4 player mode because all they can see is the start button. Toddlers and pinballs is about as good as cats and pinballs. Neither go well together

#8 10 years ago

Children have an innate ability to start 4-player games.

#9 10 years ago

This thread title is going to land someone in prison.

#10 10 years ago

my 4 yr old son on bk2k

IMG_125437051177799.jpegIMG_125437051177799.jpeg
    #11 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

My rule is, if they need a stool, they're too young to play. Super fun to have every game just running on 4 player mode because all they can see is the start button. Toddlers and pinballs is about as good as cats and pinballs. Neither go well together

I bet no one calls you the fun uncle.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

This.

My son loves to start games and they all end up 4-player... Thankfully in Star Trek, he can launch the ball as well!

#13 10 years ago

My kids hardly touch the pins, if ever. It is a novelty to them for a while when a new game comes home and that's about it. Even the local neighbourhood kids don't ask to play them anymore when they are over playing with my kids.
    They would much rather play xbox etc.
    I reckon it is a very fair bet that this hobby will die a slow death with this generation.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Any cousins, nephews, nieces or other younger family members immediately mash the start button then walk away after maybe plunging the ball.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from Wamprat:

My kids hardly touch the pins, if ever. It is a novelty to them for a while when a new game comes home and that's about it. Even the local neighbourhood kids don't ask to play them anymore when they are over playing with my kids.
    They would much rather play xbox etc.
    I reckon it is a very fair bet that this hobby will die a slow death with this generation.

have faith, maybe ps3/4 and xbox/one will help. ps4 has a huge amount of fantastic tables to play that translate very well for what it is. maybe after playing the video version they will warm up to the real thing given the opportunity.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

I bet no one calls you the fun uncle.

Well, if they're old enough to speak clearly they might We have plenty of fun things to do in the house for toddlers. But pinball just isn't really one of them.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I'll go ahead and play devil's advocate and say that my son has been playing (with a stool) since about 2 1/2 - he's 5 1/2 now, still insists on having a stool to stand on the lower rungs when playing, beat the default GC on AC/DC Pro on location and is obsessed with pinball and which designers made which games (the Stern "making of" videos are responsible for this). Yeah, it's an irritating window of time where they insist on starting up a 4-player game and walking away, but that was a 6 month window. The other day he was making "whitewoods" out of cardboard boxes with his mom....I wasn't home, and this definitely wasn't her idea.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from wontwa:

I'll go ahead and play devil's advocate and say that my son has been playing (with a stool) since about 2 1/2 - he's 5 1/2 now, still insists on having a stool to stand on the lower rungs when playing, beat the default GC on AC/DC Pro on location and is obsessed with pinball and which designers made which games (the Stern "making of" videos are responsible for this). Yeah, it's an irritating window of time where they insist on starting up a 4-player game and walking away, but that was a 6 month window. The other day he was making "whitewoods" out of cardboard boxes with his mom....I wasn't home, and this definitely wasn't her idea.

See, now that is just amazing. As a father I hope that my son will take interest in the things I love, and the earlier I can foster that the better.

#19 10 years ago

I was holding my daughter who is almost four weeks old, I told her, hopefully one day you can make it to Valinor since Daddy has no chance

#20 10 years ago

I was in the camp never too young until my two yo that loves to play pinball was actually a bit scared to play the lotr twice. We got over it though lol.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

My son just turned 2. I hand him two tokens, and he runs to the stool, climbs up, inserts the two tokens, presses the start button and reaches to both sides of the machine. Granted, he loses interest in the middle of ball 1, but I'm willing to bet that he'll gradually learn, just like he gradually learns to feed himself, talk, etc. I also bet that he won't learn that he's not allowed to play them and have no interest in them by the time he's 5 and able to see over the lockbar while standing on the floor.

#22 10 years ago

my son (2) will play several games in a row. plus he usually just starts one game at a time. he flips at more or less the right times, cheers when he hits the ball well, goes "oh noooo" when it drains, and immediately moves to the plunger to launch another ball. he definitely grasps the fundamental idea.

my daughter (6) knows how to start Borg Multiball and knows how to get jackpots. she is more accurate with the cannons than i am, and intentionally and appropriately uses post passes, dead passes, and cradles while she plays.

1 month later
    #23 10 years ago

20140221_224731.jpg20140221_224731.jpgOkay, which of the conventions will be first to have an under 5 tournament? Let's include the littles!

#24 10 years ago

I have a 2 yo grandson that loves my pinball game. He figured out how to turn them on and start a game so we bought him his own stool. He will stand on that stool and in front of me and either watch or flip for as long as I will play and is actually getting the hang of hitting the ball with the flipper, not just flipping.
    Fav game is ACDC and loves WOZ however since WOZ is a wide body is face is planted directly on the glass so he can reach out to the wider flipper buttons.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from jamespin:

Okay, which of the conventions will be first to have an under 5 tournament? Let's include the littles!

Make sure everyone gets participation trophies, too.

#27 10 years ago

When my son was about 4 months old I started playing with him strapped to my torso. He's 10 months old now and still likes watching.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Suppose you ban women along with toddlers and cats?

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Make sure everyone gets participation trophies, too.

yeah man right on - kids are just not mature enough to truly appreciate pinball and need to feel like losers as early in life as possible.

some people take themselves and this hobby way too seriously.

#30 10 years ago

just let kids play don't worry about the rule set

#31 10 years ago

My daughter used to stand on a stool in her diapers playing.

Here she is now ....

http://elocal.co.nz/View_Article~Id~1144~title~ELocaL%20COMMUNITY%20MAGAZINE%20-%20View%20Articles.html

rd.

#32 10 years ago

And the award goes to.....

Unknown-2.jpegUnknown-2.jpeg

#33 10 years ago

AWESOME article RD ! She's ranked 4th in NZ ? That's truly amazing. One question....how do you get your wife to make coffee for you ?

#34 10 years ago

Like most Dads, I'd be the 1st one to cut someone's throat if they laid a hand on my girls. But that thread title ...I couldn't help but think about Police-Tek 2000 .....

Damn I miss that show....

#35 10 years ago

Here's my littlest.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #36 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I agree. I brought my nieces over to play and the start button isn't the only button that gets mashed. I regretted it as soon as they started playing. When I was finished moving my fish tank out to the garage, I came back in to find all the machines running 4-player mode, still running a game, and completely left alone as they went to watch TV.

I suppose for those who have brought them up on pinball and have had a chance to observe them while they play, it may not be so bad. Hell, I have brought adults over to my place that didn't know how to play though.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

AWESOME article RD ! She's ranked 4th in NZ ? That's truly amazing. One question....how do you get your wife to make coffee for you ?

Ask nicely

Here's this morning Moccachino in bed

rd

image-193.jpgimage-193.jpg

#38 10 years ago

You guys sound like a bunch of miserable old farts. Now granted I taught my kids from the start not to jam the start button and always to finish their game before shutting it off, but it just takes a little guidance. I know there are some younger but at 39, I am pretty much the last age group to have experienced pinball on location in its heyday. Sure kids are different today growing up with the consoles they have today but it doesn't take much to teach them to play and play properly. My kids are 5 & 6 and ask to play all the time. The button mashing has been the hardest part to teach but they are finally learning to take their shots. Just last night my 6 year old daughter sat with me watching pinball videos checking out machines to look for our second machine.

Instead of just banning kids from your precious GAMES (that's what they are), try taking some time to show them how to play properly and maybe make another generation of player.

20130922_144233_zpscc6f805e.jpg20130922_144233_zpscc6f805e.jpg20140123_162546_zpscma8muub.jpg20140123_162546_zpscma8muub.jpg20130922_145645_zps21be51a4.jpg20130922_145645_zps21be51a4.jpg20130922_144312_zps0703ede9.jpg20130922_144312_zps0703ede9.jpg

#39 10 years ago

Some of the comments here are absolutely mind-boggling. These are freaking toys. They were built to withstand much worse than a toddler, and I'm guessing a little banging on the flippers is a lot less damaging than the average drunken slob or obnoxious teenage who played these games on location originally.

Why bother owning these toys if we can't share our love of them with the next generation. My daughter started playing when she was 6, and got it right away. At 4, my son could consistently hit Rudy's hideout, trap the ball, and beat most adults. My kids know how a solenoid works and why a plunger moves inside a coil. These things alone made this hobby worth it for me and are more valuable than any of my machines.

#40 10 years ago

My avatar says it all she's a wizard in training

#41 10 years ago

At least toddlers won't be spilling beer on your games...

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from albummydavis:

Why bother owning these toys if we can't share our love of them with the next generation.

Toys? Toys R' Us carries toys. I don't consider pins toys any more than a motorcycle. They are to be cared for meticulously, not abused, slapped around, and plunger yanked on. It's not just kids. There are adults that I have had over that I won't allow over again.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from balselly:

Toys? Toys R' Us carries toys. I don't consider pins toys any more than a motorcycle. They are to be cared for meticulously, not abused, slapped around, and plunger yanked on. It's not just kids. There are adults that I have had over that I won't allow over again.

Depends how anal you are. Lots of OCD people in this hobby. I'm not one of them.

I have little kids at my place all the time. We had 90 people here last night, from 5 to 65 years old.

When they come here they learn a few things, and they generally stick with them.

a/ if you start a game, you have to finish it
    b/ don't bugger off with RD's pinball keys!
    c/ don't double flip all the time because the racket does RD's head in

after a visit or two, they soon work it out.

If you don't tell em .... they don't know.

rd

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from balselly:

um, they were built to live in a chucky cheese, not a museum.. they definitely are toys, in fact.. they are industrial strength ones.

#45 10 years ago

if pinball is to live hooking them young is needed before they get a cellphone or tablet. What will kill pinball is a bunch of anal retentive but heads.

#46 10 years ago

little man 1.jpglittle man 1.jpg
    Nope never to young here my friends little one

little man 2.jpglittle man 2.jpg
    #47 10 years ago

give em a chance, kids love pinball. the reality of a physical game is something different for their brains. Try it with a young teen (13-15) they'll love it, especially the girls!

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

My daughter used to stand on a stool in her diapers playing.
    Here she is now ....
    http://elocal.co.nz/View_Article~Id~1144~title~ELocaL%20COMMUNITY%20MAGAZINE%20-%20View%20Articles.html

rd.

Awesome article RD! The memories that you have created with your daughter are irreplaceable! She will never forget who her dad is!
    I built my game room not only for myself, but for a place that my wife and I can build our relationships with our children, future grandchildren, nieces, nephews, cousins, and neighborhood kids. I live in a small town and people know that my home is a safe place for their children to hang out at. They don't have to worry about all of the horrible things that life and reality will throw at them elsewhere. They will be protected here and at the same time, I know where my kids are and what they are doing. Who they are hanging out with. My wife says that we have a revolving door at our place. She never knows who is going to be here when she gets home from work. My son's friends will sometimes show up on their own just to play a few games. They know the rules and respect them.
    Here is a pic of my daughter now that she is all grown up. Watch out, it happens in the blink of an eye!

IMG_20131124_184428_155.jpgIMG_20131124_184428_155.jpg
    #49 10 years ago
    Quoted from Tseamans:

Here's my littlest.

image.jpg 173 KB

Love that photo!

Quoted from Meph:You guys sound like a bunch of miserable old farts. Now granted I taught my kids from the start not to jam the start button and always to finish their game before shutting it off, but it just takes a little guidance. I know there are some younger but at 39, I am pretty much the last age group to have experienced pinball on location in its heyday. Sure kids are different today growing up with the consoles they have today but it doesn't take much to teach them to play and play properly. My kids are 5 & 6 and ask to play all the time. The button mashing has been the hardest part to teach but they are finally learning to take their shots. Just last night my 6 year old daughter sat with me watching pinball videos checking out machines to look for our second machine.
    Instead of just banning kids from your precious GAMES (that's what they are), try taking some time to show them how to play properly and maybe make another generation of player.

20130922_144233_zpscc6f805e.jpg 156 KB

20130922_144312_zps0703ede9.jpg 168 KB

20130922_145645_zps21be51a4.jpg 146 KB

20140 123_162546_zpscma8muub.jpg 174 KB

Quoted from albummydavis:

Some of the comments here are absolutely mind-boggling. These are freaking toys. They were built to withstand much worse than a toddler, and I'm guessing a little banging on the flippers is a lot less damaging than the average drunken slob or obnoxious teenage who played these games on location originally.
    Why bother owning these toys if we can't share our love of them with the next generation. My daughter started playing when she was 6, and got it right away. At 4, my son could consistently hit Rudy's hideout, trap the ball, and beat most adults. My kids know how a solenoid works and why a plunger moves inside a coil. These things alone made this hobby worth it for me and are more valuable than any of my machines.

I love seeing pictures and reading stories from pinheads that take the time to teach little kids a thing or two about our hobby! Be patient, repetitive, loving, and gentle. They will get it. Remember, someone took the time to teach you about it at some point in time.Pay it forward!
    Here are a couple of pics of my niece and my son playing. Enjoy!

IMG_20140222_193009.jpgIMG_20140222_193009.jpg IMG_20130716_175959_366.jpgIMG_20130716_175959_366.jpg IMG_20130716_175152_269.jpgIMG_20130716_175152_269.jpg IMG_20130716_175131_250.jpgIMG_20130716_175131_250.jpg
    #50 10 years ago

my cutoff age is 18 years old...well I had a 17 year old about 4 years ago but she turned 18 2 months after...

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-t-too-young and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.