Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by goatdan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

compare.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

To get the optimal manufacturing yield from our cabinet vendors, the cabinet was made slightly shorter. This also met a request from our European operators to make the pinball footprint smaller while delivering the same Williams pinball feel everyone knows.

Optimal manufacturing yield doesn't have anything to do with the monitors though. They determined that they could save money by shrinking the playfield slightly. I believe in Tilt, they talk about how they did this because it allowed them to make a cabinet out of one piece of wood instead of two or something to that extent.

Also, I always find the argument that the games play so much differently because of this 3" size difference to be a strange argument. Look at the picture that you attached. While the RFM playfield is clearly shorter than T2, neither has shots at the very back of the playfield that you're hitting, nor do most games out there. T2 has targets on the lower right closer to the flippers than RFM does. The center targets on RFM are higher up the playfield than they are on T2. T2's right ramp starts closer than either of the ramps on RFM do.

I'm not saying by a long stretch that T2 sucks -- my buddy has one and I LOVE it -- but it clearly illustrates to me that the geometry of the actual shots isn't changed, just the length of the playfield. If anything, it makes the games play faster than they had been, something that to me is a win

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wheaton, IL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Trade
Machine - For Trade
San Mateo, CA
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside