Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by goatdan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

compare.jpg

#1 7 years ago

Hey all,

I have a RFM and I recently got a NIB SWE1 kit. Finally got around to putting it in and LED the machine up. Prior to this I had only played the game a couple times. Now that I have had some time with it, it’s really not that bad. I mean it’s no ST:TNG, but it is fun. I had some friends come over that don’t play pins much and they loved it. What’s the hate on this game? Just boring and not many shots?

Mat

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

I have a RFM and I recently got a NIB SWE1 kit. Finally got around to putting it in and LED the machine up. Prior to this I had only played the game a couple times. Now that I have had some time with it, it’s really not that bad. I mean it’s no ST:TNG, but it is fun. I had some friends come over that don’t play pins much and they loved it. What’s the hate on this game? Just boring and not many shots?

Mat

It's just one of those Love/hate games due to the screen play on the playfield and many consider it not pinball.I would like to add one to my collection one day,I really can't see anyone not liking this game.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

Just boring and not many shots?

That's really it for me. I just don't like it. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, so I was excited to give it a go. I realized pretty quickly that it was very limited in terms of shots.

#4 7 years ago

I like it ok. I would buy it for the right price. (i'll be accosted for this, but I like it a bit better that RFM).

#5 7 years ago

Owned a HUO example for awhile but didn't play it much after the new effect was gone. I will say when no pinheads came over people all loved it.

#6 7 years ago

Awful. The biggest issues with it, besides the holes that are impossible to hit balls in, it's just so damn boring. RFM is basically a smaller AFM. Has all the shots, is really funny, and you have a good time. Ep1 is more than anything shooting the center shot, left ball return, shoot the middle...endlessly. Video quality is also really bad, where RFM is cartoon and doesn't suffer that issue.

The funny part is I play ep1 a month or 2 ago for the first time in a decade. It did hold my attention at first, and I strted thinking maybe I remembered it harshly. Then after 10 minutes all those negatives came back to me.
Then I played a RFM the other week and thought, "another horrible P2000," played it and had a great time.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

I like it ok. I would buy it for the right price. (i'll be accosted for this, but I like it a bit better that RFM).

I like it a lot and I do not care if I am accosted for this,every body has their own tastes and to me SWE1 is really cool!

#8 7 years ago

I liked it. Got mine with proto software .40 in it. Biggest complaint no wizard mode. Yes i updated but still after you gt to jedi spirit it just rolls over. Notta nothing. Sucks the big one at that point. But game play wise its fun. It was meant for kids people.....

#9 7 years ago

I like it! The sounds are good, the videos interact well.. JPop's design flows well, I like the virtual spinners. The magnet works well. I just find it WAY too easy.. oh and Jar Jar sucks.

People beat on this game for a LOT of reasons though. It's a P2K (purists hate it), it's SWE1 (SW fans hate it), It's got Jar Jar in it (everyone hates it), etc.

#10 7 years ago

yep, these are all good comments. It my pin 2k machine was the only machine I owned I would dump it in a second, but along with the other games in my collection its a nice change. Like everyone else says when people come over they are all like "oh cool" and play it like crazy. I do like that its has a little Jpop to it and you can see some of his designs in the game. Love the old button rollovers and the high score SFX's that match CV

#11 7 years ago

I'm not much of a fan because you loose the ball in the back of the playfield for quite a while.. I don't Like not being able to see the ball..

Its Novel but when the cool effect wares off its just ok

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

I'm not much of a fan because you loose the ball in the back of the playfield for quite a while.. I don't Like not being able to see the ball..

That is my biggest complaint but I still like it. The only other thing is when one is placed in a dim room and the holo is bright it makes it hard to see the field. Still want one though.

#13 7 years ago

Jedi battles are a lot if fun.

#14 7 years ago

It's not terrible. I had one fixed up really nice with LEDs and white rubber. Sucky theme for me and limited shot map are my main complaints. Never got to Jedi Spirit but hearing that it just starts again was disappointing. It needed a real wizard mode.

#15 7 years ago

It's pretty fun for a while but I found it gets tiring pretty quick. I own one of these machines and may sell it off.

#16 7 years ago

For me, never was a star wars fan. AFM plays decent, but on both of these P2k systems the playfield is much shorter to make room for the big rear cabinet to house the monitor. I think this is perhaps the biggest reason for the lack of replay. Had LCD screens been reasonably priced back then, and playfield space hadn't been sacrificed for the monitor, it may have saved williams.

#17 7 years ago

SWE1 is certainly the worst P2K game, but is it the worst pin? No.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Had LCD screens been reasonably priced back then, and playfield space hadn't been sacrificed for the monitor, it may have saved Williams.

The monitor is mounted in the backbox, and in no way affects the size of the playfield.

#19 7 years ago

Pretty, nice sounding pin. Great license Jar Jar notwithstanding. I just don't like the shots or the huge emphasis on the center shot.
I would definitely get a kit for my RFM for the right price.

#20 7 years ago

I like it as well just not as much as RFM.

At that point SWE1 would be in a box and I would mostly play RFM.

I would like to own RFM with SWE1 PF to swap out. LCD nucore etc..

#21 7 years ago

Got to play several games on a fairly nice one at Tx Pinball Festival last weekend. This was my 1st time playing SWE1. To me it's more of a novelty game. I could see it being part of a mid-size or large home collection, or at an arcade type business that has a large number of machines (pins & vids, etc.). And of course Star Wars fans probably like it. I prefer RFM, but both have the same problem of having a hard-to-see upper playfield.

#22 7 years ago

The monitor is mounted in the backbox, and in no way affects the size of the playfield

Depends on how you compare it. It's 1" longer than early solid state williams, yet 4" shorter than playfields from 1991

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/pinball2000/faq.html

"I noticed that the Pinball 2000 cabinet is shorter than the old pinball cabinet. Why?

To get the optimal manufacturing yield from our cabinet vendors, the cabinet was made slightly shorter. This also met a request from our European operators to make the pinball footprint smaller while delivering the same Williams pinball feel everyone knows.

While the cabinet width has not changed, the depth has been changed from 51.5" to 47.5", a difference of four inches. (Flyers that quote a depth of 55" are referring to the crated game).

This means the playfield has been shortened as well. By making very small adjustments to the playfield geometry, our designers have found they can give the same Williams pinball feel, and the change is not even noticable! The distance from the flippers to the ramps, scoops, and other shots has not changed at all.

For history buffs, Williams' standard playfield length increased from 42" to 46" in 1988. With Pinball 2000, the size is changing from 46" to 43". This makes the Pinball 2000 playfield 1 inch longer than classics such as Firepower, Black Knight, Comet, High Speed, Pin*Bot, and Cyclone among many others.

compare.jpg

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

It's 1" longer than early solid state williams, yet 4" shorter than playfields from 1991...

True, but that's not because of the monitor. The smaller playfield was simply the byproduct of a smaller cabinet.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

For history buffs, Williams' standard playfield length increased from 42" to 46" in 1988. With Pinball 2000, the size is changing from 46" to 43". This makes the Pinball 2000 playfield 1 inch longer than classics such as Firepower, Black Knight, Comet, High Speed, Pin*Bot, and Cyclone among many others

I did not know this - very interesting.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

To get the optimal manufacturing yield from our cabinet vendors, the cabinet was made slightly shorter. This also met a request from our European operators to make the pinball footprint smaller while delivering the same Williams pinball feel everyone knows.

Optimal manufacturing yield doesn't have anything to do with the monitors though. They determined that they could save money by shrinking the playfield slightly. I believe in Tilt, they talk about how they did this because it allowed them to make a cabinet out of one piece of wood instead of two or something to that extent.

Also, I always find the argument that the games play so much differently because of this 3" size difference to be a strange argument. Look at the picture that you attached. While the RFM playfield is clearly shorter than T2, neither has shots at the very back of the playfield that you're hitting, nor do most games out there. T2 has targets on the lower right closer to the flippers than RFM does. The center targets on RFM are higher up the playfield than they are on T2. T2's right ramp starts closer than either of the ramps on RFM do.

I'm not saying by a long stretch that T2 sucks -- my buddy has one and I LOVE it -- but it clearly illustrates to me that the geometry of the actual shots isn't changed, just the length of the playfield. If anything, it makes the games play faster than they had been, something that to me is a win

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Collins, CO
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PCB Emporium
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 50.00
$ 40.00
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Trade
Machine - For Trade
San Mateo, CA
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside