(Topic ID: 261827)

Is Stern's JP Trex mech the best pinball toy ever?

By Halfwasted

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Stern JP Trex Toy da best?”

• Yes 19 votes
    10%
  • No 123 votes
    66%
  • Top 5 all time 45 votes
    24%

(187 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1960-williams-nags-pinball-machine-great-cosmetics_1_b63d3fac7ecc43013bfac69b490ebe7a (resized).jpg
1960-williams-nags-pinball-machine-great-cosmetics_1_b63d3fac7ecc43013bfac69b490ebe7a (1) (resized).jpg
turfch5 (1) (resized).jpg
turfch4 (resized).jpg
1958-williams-turf-champ-animated-horse-race_1_ccbeeda870f440dca0d9181849afe1f1 (resized).jpg
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

If not, what is... Write below:

#2 4 years ago

There are many toys that interact with the ball that I think are better.
A few examples that I think are better:
- DrWho lifting mini-playfield: locks, targets and 3 entrances.
- MM Castle (with all its functionality)
- BSD Mist Multiball

#3 4 years ago

TZ gumball machine
BSD mist feature
ToM trunk
TAF Thing hand
CFTBL hologram

#4 4 years ago

MM castle is pretty solid

Not sure if this is a toy but the quantum theatre in dialed in is pretty sweet.

#5 4 years ago

I agree with BSD Mist Multiball.

As for JP, didn’t another game already have a T-Rex that interacted with the ball? I thought Data East had done something similar...

#6 4 years ago

I've always been a fan of the Stern POTC pirate ship

#7 4 years ago

Its neat but no where near the top imo..

#8 4 years ago

I think it belongs in the discussion. I might personally say it belongs somewhere in the top 10 all time. I don't know if I could ever decide on the true "best" toy of all time, because as a lot of Pinsiders noted above, there's been so many great playfield toys made since the early 90's.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I think it belongs in the discussion. I might personally say it belongs somewhere in the top 10 all time. I don't know if I could ever decide on the true "best" toy of all time, because as a lot of Pinsiders noted above, there's been so many great playfield toys made since the early 90's.

Yep there are so many good ones over the years ...especially in the 90s.

#10 4 years ago

IMO,

Rudy is still #1

JP T-rex is definitely top 5 for sure

#11 4 years ago

best of all time? Hell no
top 5? solid no
top 10? maybe

#12 4 years ago

I honestly don't think it is the best toy on a Jurassic Park table. I prefer the Data East T-rex over it .... I own both machines and while the Stern is far-and-away the better table... the T-rex on the Data East has it beat.

Other things that have it beat

the Castle on MM
Boxer on Champions Pub
Rudy

and like someone else said.. there are a bunch from the 90's that are super cool.

Now if the question was "is it the best toy STERN has used" - that is probably a yes.

#13 4 years ago

Agree with the other comments about awesome toys. I would also add the JJPPOTC rocking mini playfield with a cannon that fires across the playfield as being up there. In my opinion, the whole upper playfield is a toy.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

I honestly don't think it is the best toy on a Jurassic Park table. I prefer the Data East T-rex over it .... I own both machines and while the Stern is far-and-away the better table... the T-rex on the Data East has it beat.
Other things that have it beat
the Castle on MM
Boxer on Champions Pub
Rudy
and like someone else said.. there are a bunch from the 90's that are super cool.
Now if the question was "is it the best toy STERN has used" - that is probably a yes.

Rudy
Buzz and Bud

#15 4 years ago

no order, but some of the most impressive for me:

JP T-Rex (both DE and Stern)
JJP Pirate ship
MM castle
Dr. Who rising playfield
NGG slam ramp
the Alien from Alien

#16 4 years ago

Trex is in the top 5 IMHO

#17 4 years ago

Good toy but not really critical to gameplay. Don't miss it at all playing the pro. +1 for Rudy being the best. It's a big part of gameplay and lots of functionality. Same for MM castle and Dr Who time expander. Those games would be completely different without those features.

#18 4 years ago

Rudy as a total package might be my number one. T-Rex does more ball manipulation, but Rudy's trash-talking personality is hard to beat. Funhouse is on the short list of games that non-pinheads mention when they find out I'm into pinball. "Oh, I hate that game with the dummy! I mean, I love it, but I just wanna bash his face in!" Exactly. The eye movements, snoring, ball-spitting, etc. Just a perfectly theme-integrated, ball interactive toy. Only slight knock against Rudy is the playfield layout makes it hard for casual players to hit him.

MM castle is up there too. That's probably my top three: Rudy, castle, T-rex.

#19 4 years ago

The stage on Pinball Magic is definitely one of the top if not THE top but it never gets talked about. The wand is also really bad ass. Both more inventive and awesome than the overwhelming majority of toys in pinball

Totally blows the stupid trunk in TOM out of the water

#20 4 years ago

I like on Aerosmith and some other games how the ball flies into the toybox (Houdini too, i beliveve)

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Good toy but not really critical to gameplay. Don't miss it at all playing the pro. +1 for Rudy being the best. It's a big part of gameplay and lots of functionality. Same for MM castle and Dr Who time expander. Those games would be completely different without those features.

Are any toys "critical to gameplay"?

I think the Rex makes a HUGE difference and adds to the "moment" of the shots.

#22 4 years ago

Rudy.....FH

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from J-Freeze:

The bell on ACDC Premium is one of my favorite toys that is critical to gameplay. Just the fact that you need to wait for it to settle down before hitting it again makes a huge difference in gameplay. Plus it fits the theme perfectly and is really satisfying to hit.

#24 4 years ago

It's a cool toy for sure, but let's get real, you can't beat The Castle !

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

The bell on ACDC Premium is one of my favorite toys that is critical to gameplay. Just the fact that you need to wait for it to settle down before hitting it again makes a huge difference in gameplay. Plus it fits the theme perfectly and is really satisfying to hit.

Totally forgot about this one! I would put the bell as a close second imo.

#26 4 years ago

TZ upper playfield

#27 4 years ago

not sure if ever, but in the last 5-10 years - yes!

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I agree with BSD Mist Multiball.
As for JP, didn’t another game already have a T-Rex that interacted with the ball? I thought Data East had done something similar...

not near as cool

#29 4 years ago

I think it is or very close, but these are very cool also

Pinball magic wand and stage
Funhouse Rudy
JJPOTC ship and canon

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I've always been a fan of the Stern POTC pirate ship

Also I would add the spinners on Whirlwind. Having three different discs spinning was a great "toy"

Capt B Zarr , the Dancing Dummy and the Supersonic Robotic Comic on Party Zone, the wrecking ball on Junkyard, the claw on JM, the spinning idol ball lock on IJ

#31 4 years ago

TZ upper playfield is great, also MM Castle as that toy never gets old and really fits the theme.

Another forgotten toy imo is the rotating cannon in BR, love when I hit the broadside and sink the ship, really good feeling.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from J-Freeze:

I think the Rex makes a HUGE difference and adds to the "moment" of the shots.

What I meant was that you can remove the feature like on the pro and game plays pretty much the same. I don't think the moving trex is necessary for the full gaming experience. It adds some to it but wouldn't call it huge. Rudy is critical to the gaming experience in Funhouse. The whole game is created around it.

#33 4 years ago

Nobody has mentioned WOZ...there are a number of cool toys...

#34 4 years ago

MM trolls too. I get that some people don't like them but I like the adversarial nature of it.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

TZ upper playfield is great, also MM Castle as that toy never gets old and really fits the theme.
Another forgotten toy imo is the rotating cannon in BR, love when I hit the broadside and sink the ship, really good feeling.

yea that cannon is pretty cool

#36 4 years ago

As someone who has owned a lot (most) of the machines being mentioned for consideration and a current owner of a JP Premium, I would absolutely put the new TREX mech in the conversation for one of the best of all-time. Having played plenty of the Pro model as well, I find the addition of the TREX mech to be huge in my enjoyment of the game. As for the other contenders, I would certainly agree with suggestions like Rudy, the MM Castle, ToM's trunk, or the TZ Upper Playfield. The Stern PIrates ship is pretty damn cool too. I haven't played a lot of Dr Who, but that mech is pretty impressive in its 3-stage design.

As for the TREX mech, as long as it keeps working and doesn't break, I can't imagine getting tired of watching it eat the ball and throw it...it's a pretty awesome spectacle and everyone who seen mine has the same reaction: that's badass!

#37 4 years ago

For me, Hammer coffin lock on MET Premium/LE is the best of all time. For what it is worth I like the Haunted House on 3lvira better than the castle on MM.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

As someone who has owned a lot (most) of the machines being mentioned for consideration and a current owner of a JP Premium, I would absolutely put the new TREX mech in the conversation for one of the best of all-time. Having played plenty of the Pro model as well, I find the addition of the TREX mech to be huge in my enjoyment of the game. As for the other contenders, I would certainly agree with suggestions like Rudy, the MM Castle, ToM's trunk, or the TZ Upper Playfield. The Stern PIrates ship is pretty damn cool too. I haven't played a lot of Dr Who, but that mech is pretty impressive in its 3-stage design.
As for the TREX mech, as long as it keeps working and doesn't break, I can't imagine getting tired of watching it eat the ball and throw it...it's a pretty awesome spectacle and everyone who seen mine has the same reaction: that's badass!

this being key "huge in my enjoyment of the game"

Why I saved a few more bucks and got the premium

#39 4 years ago

No, it's not. Plus I can think of 100s of games I'd rather play anyway.

#41 4 years ago

CV RingMaster (makes that game) and finding the right nudge to get him to toss that thing accross the playfield is really fun. Sneaky locks when you get him to throw it into the one of the locks is to die for.

#42 4 years ago

I'd think to the T Rex in Data East Jurassic Park or the Pirate ship in Sterns Pirates, are better.

LTG : )

#43 4 years ago

Rudy is tough to beat.
MM castle is cool every time you see it.
The Thing hand in AF always brings a smile.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd think to the T Rex in Data East Jurassic Park or the Pirate ship in Sterns Pirates, are better.
LTG : )

forgot about the Stern POTC, that is a good one

#45 4 years ago

Strongly feel that it could be a top 10 or possibly top 5 pinball toy of all time if the t-rex actually ate the ball.

#46 4 years ago

The ship in Stern Pirates is amazing, but it's a shame that its use is limited by repeitive rules. Shoot ship 3x, 5x, then 10x. That gets old quick.

#47 4 years ago

I know it's easy to get enthusiastic about newer machines but there have been quite a few games that picked up a pinball and moved it. In addition to some of the games mentioned here you have games like Rescue 911 and even Frankenstein that came many years earlier that did the same thing.

I might be partial since I own a Black Knight: Sword of Rage, but I think the Black Knight toy looks much nicer and does several things. It has interactive lighting eyes as well as a shield that raises and a flail that spins.

If we are not factoring in gameplay or how good a game actually is, there were a few games with far superior mechs from a long time ago. I own a Williams Turf Champ and the playfield mech is pretty amazing. There is an entire field of horses that run across the playfield. Just take a look...

1958-williams-turf-champ-animated-horse-race_1_ccbeeda870f440dca0d9181849afe1f1 (resized).jpg1958-williams-turf-champ-animated-horse-race_1_ccbeeda870f440dca0d9181849afe1f1 (resized).jpgturfch4 (resized).jpgturfch4 (resized).jpgturfch5 (1) (resized).jpgturfch5 (1) (resized).jpg
#48 4 years ago

And while I'm at it, how about 1960's Williams Nags...

In addition to the backbox which has the field of horses racing, you also get a rotating playfield! The middle of the playfield rotates continuously throughout the game.

1960-williams-nags-pinball-machine-great-cosmetics_1_b63d3fac7ecc43013bfac69b490ebe7a (1) (resized).jpg1960-williams-nags-pinball-machine-great-cosmetics_1_b63d3fac7ecc43013bfac69b490ebe7a (1) (resized).jpg1960-williams-nags-pinball-machine-great-cosmetics_1_b63d3fac7ecc43013bfac69b490ebe7a (resized).jpg1960-williams-nags-pinball-machine-great-cosmetics_1_b63d3fac7ecc43013bfac69b490ebe7a (resized).jpg
#49 4 years ago

It's not even Stern's best toy and I think the safe in Soprano's is one of their best.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Nobody has mentioned WOZ...there are a number of cool toys...

I think WOZ has the best accumulation of interactive toys but I'm not sure if any of them individually are a top 5 or 10 toy. However, if we are considering the moving monkey mech and upper left playfield as one toy I think that's hard to top. A playfield magnet, moving monkey mech with magnet, and an upper playfield with two motorized castle doors, a saucer shot behind 1 of the doors, a ball lock, and a loop shot is pretty damn impressive.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, NJ
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Manalapan, FL
8,599 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, MA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-stern-s-jp-trex-mech-the-best-pinball-toy-ever?hl=per3per3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.