(Topic ID: 138631)

Has Stern priced itself out of non US markets?

By clg

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by kvan99
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gary_stern_doesnt_care_about_operators.jpg
    Sys80.jpg
    ArchieBunker.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

The US$ has done quite well recently against most currencies as interest rates are finally supposed to go up. Locally this doesn't mean much to me because most things I buy are not from the US. Pinball is the glaring exception.

Out of the US I think it is fair to say most countries are stuck with their local Stern distributor and there is no competition. In New Zealand that means that we are asked to pay MSRP and then some. As we know MSRP keeps going up. What this means practically is that a GOT LE is going for something like 16k. To put that in perspective that is enough to buy two very good quality TZ's with change left over for a decent third game.

Bottom line is the people I know that used to buy NIB sterns or might buy them are mostly out. Am I correct in thinking this is happening in other countries too? If I am, I wonder if Stern will be able to keep that big new factory busy if there is a significant drop off in overseas sales.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Buy whatever gizmo it takes to get 120V 60hz power, then buy games though a friend in the US.

Yep that is where things are headed. I am heading to the states next year and was looking to come back with a few new games... Importing is a hassle though and the stupid locks stern put on their games will cost 200 per game to defeat.

#8 8 years ago

Good point on the US market! I'm aiming to buy some used, but newer, sterns to bring back.

#14 8 years ago

People not buying will definitely be happening here!

I just got pricing for GOT pro 10,200. In contrast Metallica was 7,200. Slight difference between those two pro models too!

#18 8 years ago

^^^Agree completely kvan999 ^^^

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The bubble for NIB pins is going to burst at some point.

I think they will need to change their pricing. Demand for pins is finite . For the kind of money they are asking for now someone will really need to love the theme, love the game, have too much money, or is a newb wanting the latest and greatest getting caught up in the hype machine.

I guess pinball could take off on location adding to demand but that is a bit of a long shot unfortunately

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from taz:

The biggest part of the equation right now is the US dollar value in relation to foreign currencies. Stern can't do anything about that, or JJP, etc., for that matter. Stern's games have crept up in cost, but the biggest problem is the strong dollar exchange rate right now. The exchange rate might end up being a huge problem for Stern if it stays that way for long. I seem to recall reading previously that a large segment of Stern's historic sales are overseas. Nearly half maybe, but I can't remember for sure? Sales have got to take a hit if that's the case. GOT's popularity could possibly have largely overcome that if it wasn't hit with an ugly stick. I think GOT will still do better than average, but good grief what a massive lost opportunity to make the game look irresistible.

Stern has some flexibility and could rethink its margins if it wants to. Would it rather sell 100 pins with a 200 margin or 200 pins with a 100 margin. Selling more pins is good for stern as it keeps the line going and lowers incremental costs. They don't need to keep prices the same in every market. Most other manufacturers take approaches like this. Car prices are far less volatile!

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

At 64 cents to our dollar, not economic to do that either.....

rd

Hoping the exchange rate will be better but I can route it for 6 months and the economics get resonable. That is assuming I can find good used games. Since metallica sterns are getting a lot rarer in NZ and this is one way of getting them in.

#43 8 years ago

If stern wants to build games cheap they need to go to Asia. They can export every where from there. They would probably keep prices the same though and pocket the cash.

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from ahdelarge:

Does everyone have an affordable figure in their head? I always say that the $5950 AUD AC/DC Pro was the sweet spot for me.....expensive for a toy, a price I can stomach for a new in box pinball.

I guess sweet spot is relative given currencies but ACDC/Metallica were OK for price and what you got. It has been going downhill since then though to GOT which pricing wise is a joke for what you get. I think sales of sterns in NZ would follow that, decline since then with only a couple KISS coming over. I wonder if there will be any GOT.

#51 8 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

IMO the question in the thread title should be in the past tense.
    Has Stern priceED itself out of many international markets?
    YES.

Updated!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-stern-pricing-itself-out-of-non-us-markets?tu=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.