(Topic ID: 314834)

Is Stern now offering better code support then JJP?

By PanzerFreak

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by J85M
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is Stern now offering better code support then JJP?”

• Yes 74 votes
      94%
    • No 5 votes
      6%

(79 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Waiting-Skeleton (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2022-09-26 160954 (resized).jpg
    27d8ae6018fbedf4a149d0eee8a76c4a698b778d (1) (resized).jpg
    6quvf9 (resized).jpg
    71BFAE3C-3BD9-4190-AD18-E4DC0EDB5260 (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

5 years ago it seemed that JJP was easily out pacing Stern with code updates that polished games and added additional content. Fast forward to 2022 and JJP code updates seem few and far between. Meanwhile Stern is regularly releasing code updates for their games that polish existing code and add additional features.

Is JJP releasing games with more completed code which has led to less code updates being required or is their a pattern of recent games not being polished? Wonka for example has had great post code update support but GNR and Pirates still have plenty of reports about a lack of polish from owners.

I did want to say one thing about JJP code design for some of their modes. There are too many modes across a number of JJP games that come across as generic IMO, and play extremely similar to other main modes in the game. I personally rather have 8 - 12 main modes with unique animations, sounds, shots, etc versus 20+ generic ones. I owned a JJP Pirates and Stern TMNT, I’ll gladly take the 8 unique main mode in TMNT over the 100+ generic ones in Pirates.

#2 1 year ago

It's not as black/white as this as even JJP's game's differ. The Hobbit has amazing modes and theme integration, Pirates left me cold and Wonka is just odd in terms of code structure (just my opinion).

There could be a bit of smoke and mirrors going on in terms of communications but I do feel that Stern are managing this better these days so voted yes. I haven't been that keen on the latest JJP games.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from thewool:

It's not as black/white as this as even JJP's game's differ. The Hobbit has amazing modes and theme integration, Pirates left me cold and Wonka is just odd in terms of code structure (just my opinion).
    There could be a bit of smoke and mirrors going on in terms of communications but I do feel that Stern are managing this better these days so voted yes. I haven't been that keen on the latest JJP games.

Agree. I wish the newer JJP's would have more modes similar to the Hobbits in terms of great mode choreography (lights, animations, music, etc all times to shots that work the playfield in interesting ways). Hobbit has masterpiece code, I hope we see a similar code design in future JJP pins.

#4 1 year ago

Stern is firing on all cylinders for sure. Just wish they could crank out some toppers!

#5 1 year ago

delete

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from MaxIsDead:

Stern is firing on all cylinders for sure. Just wish they could crank out some toppers!

Yup, they sure are.

#7 1 year ago

The lack of code support from JJP has me second guessing buying another one.

GNR has needed a code update for a long time and still hasn’t gotten it. It’s like they just get you to buy a game and then it’s fuck off from there.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

GNR has needed a code update for a long time and still hasn’t gotten it. It’s like they just get you to buy a game and then it’s fuck off from there.

What’s the code in gnr need? Game seems fine to me after the last update finished the wizard mode issues.

Jjp games come out the gate with more completed code to begin with, so further updates aren’t needed as often as stern. Potc is the only jjp that seemed to get left behind on code for some reason, but all the rest are masterful imo.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from MaxIsDead:

Firing on all cylinders? They can't even get games shipped out.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Firing on all cylinders? They can't even get games shipped out.

At last check they were manufacturing 8-9 different titles this year. This is what firing on all cylinders looks like when you're doing that. It feels clunky, I agree. But if any other manufacturer was doing that people would stand on their rooftops and applaud!

1 month later
    #11 1 year ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

I don’t understand the wait at all at this point. This isn’t how JJP used to be with code updates.

1 month later
    #12 1 year ago

Yes, Stern.

71BFAE3C-3BD9-4190-AD18-E4DC0EDB5260 (resized).jpeg71BFAE3C-3BD9-4190-AD18-E4DC0EDB5260 (resized).jpeg

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

What’s the code in gnr need?

They need to balance out the scoring.

Top scores depend only on a massive song jackpot, which isn't consistently commensurate with the play required to build it up.

Every game feels like a grind toward a song jackpot. The destination is more valuable than the tedious, wood choppy journey to get there.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from RTS:

They need to balance out the scoring.
    Top scores depend only on a massive song jackpot, which isn't consistently commensurate with the play required to build it up.
    Every game feels like a grind toward a song jackpot. The destination is more valuable than the tedious, wood choppy journey to get there.

This is the reason why I sold my GnR pretty quickly. I was not a fan of the gameplay loop. It wasn't fun to me. All of the lights, choreography, etc. was not enough to make up for that.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yes, Stern.
    [quoted image]

Think this is all the proof needed, stern are knocking out code ups for all 18 of their spike 2 games, yes it was mostly IC updates this time round but AIQ had additional code and bug fixes so did Mando so did Beatles maybe others?

Meanwhile JJP have what 6 games in total? In theory they should be banging out codes in comparison, is POTC feature complete yet?

Since getting the shareholders/millionaire's into JJP they have gone from amazing mech rich games with deep code like WOZ/Hobbit/POTC (although chest mech shouldNt have been removed) to stripped out mech less games with shallow code like TS4 it’s a night and day change.

And I’m not bashing them I’d love a JJP that’s a dream theme and keeper.

#16 1 year ago

Stern is killing it lately. Shitty launch code & begging them to fix/add things was the norm for a while. Now they launch solid & then just keep getting more amazing. More than happy with my Rush & Godzilla “code journey.” Extremely polished & fun - and just keep getting better. My sense is that they’re really planning well & collaborating better than before.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Stern is killing it lately. Shitty launch code & begging them to fix/add things was the norm for a while. Now they launch solid & then just keep getting more amazing. More than happy with my Rush & Godzilla “code journey.” Extremely polished & fun - and just keep getting better. My sense is that they’re really planning well & collaborating better than before.

Yup! Stern has done a complete 180 over the past 5 years in terms of code and I would also argue creating more loaded games.

It's a bummer to see the direction at JJP in terms of less overall code support and now with Toy Story less mechanically packed games at all time high prices.

#18 1 year ago

Just my 2 cents.

Stern is putting out a lot of updates, no doubt about it. However, it seems that they release with the code about 60% complete. So, they have to release a lot of updates. It seems like it takes a couple of years to get to "complete" after a game is released (Complete meaning all modes are coded).

I haven't purchased any new JJPs, but from reading the forums, it seems like they release with more complete code.

How does that relate to support?

I think people get a warn fuzzy with all the updates that Stern is putting out. But, I know a lot of people feel disappointed with NIB purchases because they get bored of a game before the code is even done. That also leads to people getting games again after code complete. I don't think I'd buy a NIB Stern due to QC issues and code status at launch.

Perhaps not congruent to the topic, but I wonder how the release code affects sales for Stern? I assume it doesn't have too much affect of overall sales. But, I still wonder as several recent games seemed have suffered at launch and people attribute that to the poor launch code. I don't have any proof, just chatter on the forums about people playing a game at launch and passing due to the code. I passed on Stranger Things due to launch code. I know it has gotten better, so I may pick one up. But, the lack of code did cause me to pass on a NIB purchase.

#19 1 year ago

Stern is king

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lamprey:

Just my 2 cents.
    Stern is putting out a lot of updates, no doubt about it. However, it seems that they release with the code about 60% complete. So, they have to release a lot of updates. It seems like it takes a couple of years to get to "complete" after a game is released (Complete meaning all modes are coded).

To me this is not a very current view. I remember those days; and I don't feel like I'm living there anymore.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It's a bummer to see the direction at JJP in terms of less overall code support and now with Toy Story less mechanically packed games at all time high prices.

This, plus the (rumored) next few snoozer themes from them is a bummer. They need to pack those games or slash prices or both.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

To me this is not a very current view. I remember those days; and I don't feel like I'm living there anymore.

Are you referring to the state of the code at launch?

If so, you may be right. I was referencing games like Jurassic Park that took (a little over?) a year to get "Code Complete." I haven't been tracking the state of the code on the last 3-4 releases, so if they are launching with complete code, then that is encouraging.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah. Code from Stern and JJP is more complete at launch compared to 5+ years ago. Stern however seems to be doing a far better job over the past few years of consistently polishing code. Lately JJP releases their launch code and then only a few minor updates follow. Hopefully that changes. Half the time when JJP announces a code update on their Facebook page it's just for a few bug fixes versus anything that polishes and expands on game code.

One last thing I'll add is that if you asked me 5 years who should make Back to the Future I would say JJP. However, after seeing how code support has been from JJP over the past few titles, the amount of generic shoot everything modes in them, and a lack of mechanical toys in TS4 I would today much rather see Stern make Back to the Future.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lamprey:

Are you referring to the state of the code at launch?
    If so, you may be right. I was referencing games like Jurassic Park that took (a little over?) a year to get "Code Complete." I haven't been tracking the state of the code on the last 3-4 releases, so if they are launching with complete code, then that is encouraging.

Yeah launch and in general. JP is actually the quickest one I sold so I didn't keep up with that one much, but I feel like all the other Keith games have been pretty reasonable time. Obviously, the Lyman games were always going to take longer for sure.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah launch and in general. JP is actually the quickest one I sold so I didn't keep up with that one much, but I feel like all the other Keith games have been pretty reasonable time. Obviously, the Lyman games were always going to take longer for sure.

Yup. All of Keith Elwin's game's have been incredibly well polished with a number of updates. It's that extra polish that has been lacking as of late from JJP. I've said this before but I can't stand the "shoot everything" modes JJP has been putting many of their latest games, just comes across as a throw away mode with nothing to accomplish.

1 week later
    #26 1 year ago

The latest JJP GNR beta update...

6quvf9 (resized).jpg6quvf9 (resized).jpg
    27d8ae6018fbedf4a149d0eee8a76c4a698b778d (1) (resized).jpg27d8ae6018fbedf4a149d0eee8a76c4a698b778d (1) (resized).jpg

1 month later
    #27 1 year ago

Stern does it yet again and released code updates for 16 games. Meanwhile crickets from JJP on the code update front. What happened to continuing to polish code?

Screenshot 2022-09-26 160954 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2022-09-26 160954 (resized).jpg

#28 1 year ago

Well we been waiting only 2 plus yrs for a pirates update, JJP seems to be in no hurry. I do like how Stern keeps polishing and adding features to their games. I am leaning to start buying their games. Just seems like way better support from a company.

Prove me wrong JJP !

1 week later
    #29 1 year ago

Waiting for a JJP code update... All in good fun but seriously come on, release some code updates.

Waiting-Skeleton (resized).jpgWaiting-Skeleton (resized).jpg

4 weeks later
    #30 1 year ago

JJP are no longer the company Jack created.

At the beginning Jack made a huge point of being the manufacturer of the most fully featured games in the industry. Slowly they have moved further and further away from that and TS is barren (let’s call it a pro when it comes to features) yet it’s what 2-3 times the price of a pro at entry level?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-stern-offering-better-code-support-then-jjp?hl=krupps4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.