(Topic ID: 350319)

IS STERN Killing the Collector AND the guy that saves up for an LE?

By staceyflip

6 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 171 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Jamesays
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7f3ab4a1c293d04318accad0102126f1_w200 (resized).png
R (25).gif
6s8488.gif
10153846300140716 (resized).jpg
IMG_1134 (resized).jpeg
ron-livingston-david-herman-and-ajay-naidu-take-their-news-photo-51101032-1550600743 (resized).jpg
ball-eating-jaws.gif
FB_IMG_1704549041427 (resized).jpg
8cp7m6 (resized).jpg
R (24).gif
pasted_image (resized).png
33254B5B-E1B0-48D2-9E67-AAF401F156E7.gif
BALL (resized).jpg
STERRRRRN (resized).jpg
OIP (resized).jpg
IMG_5466.png
There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 6 months ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

Crashing markets are a beautiful thing, creates tremendous buying opportunities if you're smart.

The real secret is to never stop buying. Eventually in a long enough time horizon, you'll come out ahead.

#152 6 months ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Ahem.
Not pointless.
[quoted image]

Looks good but how does it flip?

#154 6 months ago

Stern to LE buyers

R (25).gifR (25).gif
#155 6 months ago

Pinball is not short-term investment. If I had a crystal ball I could have bought a lot of 90s pins for under 2k starting in 1998 to 2002. LEs are still LEs even if they make a different le later doesn't add to the original le different art and armor. I don't buy LEs because I'm a player and route guy. I'll get a premium if I like the theme or it will make more on location. Or a tougher tournament machine than the pro.

#156 6 months ago
Quoted from Jaytech10:

Pinball is not short-term investment. If I had a crystal ball I could have bought a lot of 90s pins for under 2k starting in 1998 to 2002. LEs are still LEs even if they make a different le later doesn't add to the original le different art and armor. I don't buy LEs because I'm a player and route guy. I'll get a premium if I like the theme or it will make more on location. Or a tougher tournament machine than the pro.

They aren't even a good long term investment, if you had the $2K to invest in 1998 it would be about $10K today with pretty conservative investing over the last 25 years (Like less than the S&P 500 average). I don't think there is any chance pins bought today for $10K are going to be worth $50K in 25 years from today... I guess it's possible, but if I had 25 years to wait and $10K I wouldn't be buying a pinball.

#157 6 months ago

If you were a genius and only bought very specific nib like jjp pirates or godzilla, maybe but ya it's just the worst of a million different options. Watches, baseball cards, stocks, crypto, etc etc. Let people fill their warehouses then we buy when market turns and they're forced to liquidate.

#158 6 months ago

Should be a lot of desirable pins hitting the market soon. What with all these dead collectors and all.

#159 6 months ago
Quoted from roar:

They aren't even a good long term investment, if you had the $2K to invest in 1998 it would be about $10K today with pretty conservative investing over the last 25 years (Like less than the S&P 500 average). I don't think there is any chance pins bought today for $10K are going to be worth $50K in 25 years from today... I guess it's possible, but if I had 25 years to wait and $10K I wouldn't be buying a pinball.

It's almost like giant toys are an entertainment expense and not an investment.

#160 6 months ago
Quoted from Jaytech10:

Pinball is not a great "investment" period. Even in your most extreme scenario, the $2000 in 1998 is $17,000 if you put it in the SP500 instead of pinball machines.

#161 6 months ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

Pinball is not a great "investment" period. Even in your most extreme scenario, the $2000 in 1998 is $17,000 if you put it in the SP500 instead of pinball machines.

After broker fees and taxes when cash out on investments probably a lot lessprofitthan you think. At I would be able play with my investment physically instead watching it grow like a tree over the years. Stocks are not a crap shoot too. A bigger one probably too.

#162 6 months ago

I’ve decided to not save up for an LE out of an abundance of caution.

#163 6 months ago

I like that Stern keeps re-running games, including special LE versions and additional premiums. I like a financially healthy Stern that cranks out fun games in quantities that meet demand on a regular basis. Stern likes to maximize revenue by being able to dial in their production to meet demand - a demand that is tough to get right in one or two runs. Make too many and they have to discount too much. Make too few and they leave money on the table.

Right now 6 of the top 10 games are Stern Spike 2 system. Premium versions of them, usually with some mods, (probably with any common issues fixed if you buy from the right person) are available at a decent discount to NIB right now on marketplace. How is this a bad thing for pinball enthusiasts? Bad for flippers sure, but better for Stern and the majority of the pinball community that buys in the used market IMO.

#164 6 months ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

Looks good but how does it flip?

Well flipping the device is not recommended, it would decrease the value and fun for sure.

With 700+ hp on tap "flipping" is not out of the realm of possibilities though I have seen more done with less.

#165 6 months ago

I own a few Stern LEs and took a bath on JP LE, but others have held their value well and I don't plan to liquidate my pins anyway. Bring on the $5K to $7.5K Stern LEs, that just means my collection will double in the coming years! Regarding this thread and OP, I'm done buying new pins for good...huge waste of $ with NIB premium, taxes and shipping. I'll wait for the hype train to die down and buy HUO on secondary from now on. These pin companies are on crack if they think the average home collectors are going to spend $13K to $15K for new LE/CE pins. $10K felt like a reasonable price for LE/CE pins, but now prices are completely out of hand. The most I ever paid for a pin was $17.7K for a used JP LE about two years ago...boy was that a lapse in judgment! I also paid $15K for a Godzilla LE around the same time, but fortunately sold it for what I put into it shortly after. The rest of my LEs are doing just fine and glad I bought most of them pre-COVID. It will be interesting to see how low the pin prices go during this market correction.

#166 6 months ago
Quoted from darkryder:

I own a few Stern LEs and took a bath on JP LE, but others have held their value well and I don't plan to liquidate my pins anyway. Bring on the $5K to $7.5K Stern LEs, that just means my collection will double in the coming years! Regarding this thread and OP, I'm done buying new pins for good...huge waste of $ with NIB premium, taxes and shipping. I'll wait for the hype train to die down and buy HUO on secondary from now on. These pin companies are on crack if they think the average home collectors are going to spend $13K to $15K for new LE/CE pins. $10K felt like a reasonable price for LE/CE pins, but now prices are completely out of hand. The most I ever paid for a pin was $17.7K for a used JP LE about two years ago...boy was that a lapse in judgment! I also paid $15K for a Godzilla LE around the same time, but fortunately sold it for what I put into it shortly after. The rest of my LEs are doing just fine and glad I bought most of them pre-COVID. It will be interesting to see how low the pin prices go during this market correction.

My guess is we'll see used LEs on the less desirable titles for 6500-7000 before we truly bottom (2-3 years). Better titles 7000-7500 or so. Helluva deal if you factor in inflation.

#167 6 months ago

Eh, Stern fked me good on GB Prem. The game played like absolute dog shit. My first and last NIB from them.

#168 6 months ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

Eh, Stern fked me good on GB Prem. The game played like absolute dog shit. My first and last NIB from them.

Hey, at least it went up in value a ton.
What a piece of hot garbage.

#169 6 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Hey, at least it went up in value a ton.
What a piece of hot garbage.

After I unloaded it. I should have kept the topper.

#170 6 months ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

After I unloaded it. I should have kept the topper.

I made $100 on my pro and sold it in a couple months; happy day for sure

#171 6 months ago
7f3ab4a1c293d04318accad0102126f1_w200 (resized).png7f3ab4a1c293d04318accad0102126f1_w200 (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 349.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Playfield - Plastics
SilverBall Designs

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
J&K pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Machine - For Sale
Shoreham, NY
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Magnetic Speaker Framez

12,500 (OBO)
$ 9,000.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 188.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.50
9,000 (Firm)
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Pyramid Pinball & Arcade

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.