(Topic ID: 350319)

IS STERN Killing the Collector AND the guy that saves up for an LE?

By staceyflip

6 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 171 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Jamesays
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7f3ab4a1c293d04318accad0102126f1_w200 (resized).png
R (25).gif
6s8488.gif
10153846300140716 (resized).jpg
IMG_1134 (resized).jpeg
ron-livingston-david-herman-and-ajay-naidu-take-their-news-photo-51101032-1550600743 (resized).jpg
ball-eating-jaws.gif
FB_IMG_1704549041427 (resized).jpg
8cp7m6 (resized).jpg
R (24).gif
pasted_image (resized).png
33254B5B-E1B0-48D2-9E67-AAF401F156E7.gif
BALL (resized).jpg
STERRRRRN (resized).jpg
OIP (resized).jpg
IMG_5466.png
There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 6 months ago

It's always curious to me when people act like they have no choice but to buy a pinball game. It's like everyone is children that are so used to buying every new game that comes out, forgetting that a pinball game doesn't cost as much as a regular videogame($70ish) and actually costs $10,000.

Let me say this as clearly as I can, you can choose not to buy the game. The people buying every new game that comes out are the minority. They just all happen to visit pinside.

#52 6 months ago
Quoted from dts:

Lay it on us, what do you not like about the looks of their future? I like cryptic comments.

If they allow Pinside to dictate their plans, it’s a dark, murky, painful future!!

But surely they are smarter than that.

#53 6 months ago

7/10 rant

needed a price bubble reference, FUD about paid DLC, and a reminder that a former Disney employee is the boss at Stern

#54 6 months ago
Quoted from staceyflip:

I feel it's a good investment meaning that I can get it and play the shit out of it and sell it for the same or more, AND it will most likely be a great build quality, certainly NOT a paperweight. Stern KILLED that expectation. So disappointed because STERN Pinball machines are the GREATEST! BUT, no more NIB.

You never should have had that expectation. That was a COVID caused fluke and not normal.

#55 6 months ago

No one saves up for an LE. The people buying them are already wealthy so if they're 5K or 10K or 15K, it doesn't matter. Most LEs sit in huge line-ups with similar overpriced machines with a couple hundred plays on them. Pinball has turned into another materialistic pissing contest like just like every other "collectible" luxury item racket. The value just isn't there anymore for the homeowner who actually wants to play them, but that's not really the LE market.

#56 6 months ago

Buying any pinball new or used and expecting it to just work perfect is a fantasy. It's a physical machine with moving parts that gets shipped in a cardboard box. I have bought 7 NIB pins from 3 different manufactures and they all need some sort of adjustment or have something that needs fixing. Fixing and tweaking is part of the responsibility of owning a pinball machine.

Out of all the pins I bought guess what company had the best quality and least amount of fixes right out of the box.... Stern did

When I started playing pinball we couldn't even get spare parts for attack from mars or the Adams family, Scoop broke, well go buy another machine for parts. things are much better than they used to be.

#57 6 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If they allow Pinside to dictate their plans, it’s a dark, murky, painful future!!
But surely they are smarter than that.

They are definitely smarter than that. Do we have any Stern employees on here anymore? Elwin's account is inactivated.

#58 6 months ago
Quoted from dts:

They are definitely smarter than that. Do we have any Stern employees on here anymore? Elwin's account is inactivated.

Yeti chimes in rarely, but I don't think Stern employees are encouraged to post here. No good can come of it.

#59 6 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeti chimes in rarely, but I don't think Stern employees are encouraged to post here. No good can come of it.

For fear that we will claim all our spectacular pinball ideas will be stolen no doubt.

#60 6 months ago
Quoted from F__U:

Fatasyland is you thinking people are gonna keep buying these new pins at current prices and losing 3k to 4k to sell to people like you after a year?

But I am a NiB buyer? *shrug*

#61 6 months ago

Tell us you're new to the hobby without telling us you're new to the hobby.

#62 6 months ago

C'mon, buying $15,000 pinball machines is for Rich Douches (RD's) who own yachts, rolex watches, and condos in Aspen. If you have to ask how much it costs, you're not in the club. Pinball use to be a working class hobby, it ain't anymore, at least not that end of it. Pro's is where the Shmoe's are, and that's fine.

That being said, anyone want to trade my Star Wars Premium for their Elvira LE?

#63 6 months ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

That being said, anyone want to trade my Star Wars Premium for their Elvira LE?

Ok now hold your horses....just wait a few more weeks and you could get the 40th.

#64 6 months ago

The weakness in the economy & inflation combined with the softness in the pinball market if it's done anything positive it's stopping flippers & distros from upselling their LE's sideways or on the secondary market! As the economy gets worse the prices will continue to fall even lower! Soon you will get able to buy a Galactic Tank Force for 2 Menthol Cigarettes! Wait and see!

This guy pretty much sums up what many of us are going through right now! And why we just simply no longer have the $$$ to buy....

https://twitter.com/i/status/1747449042194362747

#65 6 months ago
Quoted from dts:

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Dwight Sullivan also tends to chime in on occasion

#66 6 months ago
Quoted from stubborngamer:

For fear that we will claim all our spectacular pinball ideas will be stolen no doubt.

No bearing on anything but remember that SLAMTILT guy who insisted everything Stern had ever done was stolen from one of his virtual pinball tables?

That was funny.

#67 6 months ago

From what I heard from people you had to be with the “in crowd” to get a LE when they were scarce. It sure seemed some Hokey Pokey was going on with the GnR release with confirmed orders for the CE’s being cancelled days later when the wales started calling and changing their minds. That’s the story anyway. Like many have said, buy what you can afford and what you know you want for some time. I still do not understand someone buying a nib and selling it with premature code and under 100 plays. In these cases, you’re getting exactly what you deserve. There are pins for just about any budget. If you truly love this hobby, you’ll find the right one and spread happiness not anger.

#68 6 months ago

The Ford LTD (or Limited) was apparently "limited" to how many they could sell. "Every inch an LTD" is a very strange tagline though, I must say.

Ford LTD (resized).jpgFord LTD (resized).jpg
#69 6 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No bearing on anything but remember that SLAMTILT guy who insisted everything Stern had ever done was stolen from one of his virtual pinball tables?
That was funny.

I don't, but you made me go on a fun habitrail looking for information about him.

Apparently one of his vpin releases was, in fact, Jaws.

#70 6 months ago

Here's another fun clip from his game for all you ETB lovers:

#71 6 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That was funny.

Man I miss that guy. I wonder if he's still around. I think he blocked me a while ago

#72 6 months ago
R (23).gifR (23).gif
#73 6 months ago
IMG_5466.pngIMG_5466.png
#74 6 months ago

I would just like some quality control. Bought Elvira BRK NIB. Alot of the same issues as the first run, Stern knew the issues, decided not to re-engineer it. Rear house diverter motor/gear assembly broke, from stuck diverter. Sent wrong part after two weeks, fifty cent splitter. Four working days later and they just created the shipping label for correct part (hopefully). Im mechanically inclined and don't mind fixing, but Stern needs better quality control. I wouldn't mind ten or twenty games played on a machine to make sure it works, especially when spending almost 14k. I could never see my way clear to buying another Stern NIB.
PS. Im not rich, Im a working man who loves pinball.

#75 6 months ago
Quoted from Whistles:

They really could have riled the community up if they would have said "We just could not find a way for a pinball to go inside of a rubber shark mouth". And then enjoy reading the internet for the next day or two.

If dogs can do it, sharks can do it.

OIP (resized).jpgOIP (resized).jpg
#76 6 months ago
Quoted from 1963BSARGS:

I currently own 8 Stern LE’s, all bought NIB. Stern has lost me as a NIB LE buyer with their recent shenanigans.

LE stands for "Lost Equity".

#77 6 months ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

Exactly.
I've done it twice, and regretted it twice - dealing the game away quickly each time.

I've done it many times (buy NIB sight unseen or without ever playing one before) and so far so good.
JP - NIB (2019)
WOZ (used but in person) - Need the room so this is leaving soon
SW - NIB
STh - NIB - Left quickly because my wife didn't connect with it despite loving the show. I thought the game was good
Labyrinth - NIB
CCr - NIB - This one my wife doesn't connect with it so leaving the lineup and I need the space
P3 and all of its games - NIB - ok this one not all modules are awesome even though I hav'em all

Ordered but unknown if this will be a good fit for us or not:
Jaws (to replace WOZ)
Looney Tunes (to replace CCr)

#78 6 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Man I miss that guy. I wonder if he's still around. I think he blocked me a while ago

I think he took his virtual ball and went home (to a forum where people were more willing to enable his delusions of grandeur).

#79 6 months ago

I stopped buying Stern LE's when they jacked up the price 4000$ and doubled the production run. Vote with your wallet. The market is correcting, used LE's dipping under 10k again. Nothing to complain about, falling prices are AMAZING for the home buyer if you're smart. Eyeing Pulp Fiction as we speak, seems like good value, and I like value.

#80 6 months ago

I can't believe "Golden Goose" hasn't appeared in this thread.

#81 6 months ago

OP

STERRRRRN (resized).jpgSTERRRRRN (resized).jpg
#82 6 months ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

Eyeing Pulp Fiction as we speak, seems like good value, and I like value.

Same here. I'm not liquid enough to grab one now, but have 3 or 4 friends getting one. I could see grabbing a used one, down the road.

#83 6 months ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Same here. I'm not liquid enough to grab one now, but have 3 or 4 friends getting one. I could see grabbing a used one, down the road.

I think the LE might start appreciating once it gets in peoples hands, but its really just the topper you're paying for. I'm not too concerned if it does, I'm a patient man and the regular edition game is exactly the same.

Back on topic, same people who paid 13k+1k tax for nib LE's are the same people buying tech stocks at the top. A fool and their money soon part, the patient man stays rich.

Will be funny watching Stern twist around trying to justify 13k going forward, they really shot themselves in the foot with greed if you ask me. But nobody forced me to buy it so I can just laugh at those who did really.

#84 6 months ago
BALL (resized).jpgBALL (resized).jpg
#85 6 months ago

Does the ball eat a shark in the movie?

#86 6 months ago

Would anyone even be complaining about the shark ball if Stern was 10k retail? Doubt it. Gonna be a lot of this kind of reaction going forward imo, and it's really just people commenting on the price gouging, not the actual lack of a mech.

#87 6 months ago
Quoted from curban:

Does the ball eat a shark in the movie?

In some cases, the balls, the sack, the whole damn thing.

#88 6 months ago
33254B5B-E1B0-48D2-9E67-AAF401F156E7.gif33254B5B-E1B0-48D2-9E67-AAF401F156E7.gif
#89 6 months ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

A lot of anger here, I’m trying to figure out what exactly it is you’re mad about? That Stern introduces new versions on some of their pins? That some of their pins take dialing in from the factory to get to play right? That not all of their pins will go up in value and guarantee you a profit when selling? I hate to tell you, but these things apply to all manufacturers, not just Stern. I’m not trying to defend Stern here but a few points:
1. Stern has never said they won’t go back and rerun premiums or pros, and history had already showed that to be the case well before they did it with STH. If someone went out and paid top dollar for one before Stern announced the rerun they should only be mad at themselves.
2. Stern has never rerun the same LE, they have created new LE versions which I can understand upsetting some people, but they are certainly not the only company to do this.
3. Stern making improvements to the mechs in reruns is a good thing and what should be expected, no one should be upset about that.
4. The shark not eating the ball in JAWS, well if that’s a deal beaker for you then don’t buy the pin. Based on Elwin’s record if he says it wasn’t working for the gameplay, I tend to believe him.

I have to agree with these comments, except would like to discuss the LE remakes:

I've seen so many folks buying and holding LE's NIB for years. Only to try and rip the new buyers... by selling these NIB LE's for thousands more then they paid. Ripping Stern and the Distributor. A Lot of folks were buying two LE's not long ago. Well it seems Stern said BS. We'll make different Special Custom Versions. Like EHOH Blood Kiss Red version. I like this approach.... and yes I have LE's in my collection. But for example Jaws... I think the Premium model art package looks better... and I can powder coat the metal something better looking than white.

My main issue with Stern is their poor customer service department. I've had a NIB stern give me months and months of issues. Stern basically turns a blind eye towards supporting their customers... Spooky on the other hand are fantastic.

#90 6 months ago
Quoted from stubborngamer:

Here's another fun clip from his game for all you ETB lovers:

Terry Red... is a Fantastic FP table developer. The man is handicapped as well, so please be respectful. Sure Virtual Pinball is not for everyone or is it as good as the real thing. But for me, I own 16 pins and a Vpin.

I can tell you it's much better than just having 16 real pins. I can basically play almost any table ever designed and built since the early 60's. Some are amazingly accurate and with a real stern motor, and multiple feedback gadgets inside the cabinet on a 4K PF and a 4K backbox... games I do not own like CV and others are fun and scratch the itch!

#91 6 months ago

I always wondered the percentage of people here that are actually in a good position to buy LEs. It seems like ever new pin thread is just everyone buying LEs, then a few Premiums and a couple of operators buying Pro's. I just assumed most people were putting on a show. Cash aside I could never buy an LE it just seems like a complete scam. People getting "burned" by Stern on LEs makes me chuckle.

#92 6 months ago

Reissuing LE's is nothing to be mad about imo. It's your fault for paying ridiculous prices in the first place.

People can flip games all they want, what other people do with their money is none of my concern. Nobody has a problem with people flipping houses, and that's something people actually need to live, unlike silly childish games.

But you can't expect a company like Stern won't milk their consumers from every angle as much as they possibly can, that's just silly to think otherwise, and it's well within their right to do so imo.

#93 6 months ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I always wondered the percentage of people here that are actually in a good position to buy LEs. It seems like ever new pin thread is just everyone buying LEs, then a few Premiums and a couple of operators buying Pro's. I just assumed most people were putting on a show. Cash aside I could never buy an LE it just seems like a complete scam. People getting "burned" by Stern on LEs makes me chuckle.

Fact is 1% of people (3.5 million in the usa alone) are filthy rich and just getting richer. 10k to you is 100$ to these people relatively speaking.

#94 6 months ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#95 6 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The ball eating shark mech supposedly sucked yet just a week later someone in the community posts how they are making a mod that will do it...my goodness Stern.

that doesn’t mean it will not suck

#96 6 months ago
Quoted from Darscot:

How are LEs a scam? They are no different than any other game. Buy for a good price and likely you’ll get your money back or more depending on popularity and market conditions.

#97 6 months ago
Quoted from hcj13:

that doesn’t mean it will not suck

Now I’m confused, does the shark suck the ball instead of eating it? And do you have to pay more for that option?

#98 6 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

How are LEs a scam? They are no different than any other game. Buy for a good price and likely you’ll get your money back or more depending on popularity and market conditions.

I'm not a big believer in a company deciding thier product is collectable and adding thousands to the price with no justification, it's just marketing. I know people fall for it but that doesn't actually make it real. If Stern turns around and makes another collectable version and the first one turns out not to be collectable, I don't think I care. It was all make believe from the start.

#99 6 months ago

#100 6 months ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

Agreed on most points, but for fwiw the new run stranger things is no better than the old one. Quality control at stern is garbage.

Yep, I bought a pro from the new run and so many things were wrong with it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 188.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 42.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 32.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Dr Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 449.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 17.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 90.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Duke Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Mead, WA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.