(Topic ID: 135807)

Is Stern faking the backglasses in their LE machines?

By kbliznick

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 147 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Astropin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AvengersLE-Flyer-1212-01a.pdf (PDF preview)
    image.jpg
    image.png
    Dead_Peter.jpg
    topps-trading-cards.png
    i-d20729cf9e0d847cadd13df24cc9eedc-rodney-dangerfield-picture-01.jpg
    horseshit.jpeg
    There are 147 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 8 years ago

I loved my TWDLE but no matter how hard I tried it was impossible to get past the fact of feeling cheated, for an LE to come in that condition has killed my relationship with the company and NIB Sterns. I played SM the other day and it would easily be considered an LE today but for half the cost, that is horseshit. I understand pins are expensive to manufacture but the bubble has burst for me. I can buy 3 to 4 nice quality System 11's for the same price which I find more fun all around anyway.

#52 8 years ago

What would Pinside be if it wasn't for negative threads and complaining? Stern is putting out great games and just like every other successful business they have found ways streamline manufacturing to stay in business. Clearly there are things to nitpick on for sure, but this is a case of the glass being 95% full and 5% empty and yet we all (myself included sometimes) seem to dwell on the 5% empty.

Once you climb down off the scaffold needed to turn these games on, they are a lot of fun. That is really what it is all about. KISS is a damn fun game and that is coming from someone who REALLY does not like the theme.

#53 8 years ago

Fun yes, too expensive, defintely.

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

I owned STLE. Wasn't a real bg. Mirrored translite.

You are wrong.

STLE is a real screened mirrored glass. As I've stated before, if you can "feel" the raised areas on the back as the layering color process of the screening and the white matte finish on the back it's the indication of a real screened glass as of the comparison of WMS era pins.

If it's glossy, shiny and smooth on the back it's a translite.

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

You are wrong.
    STLE is a real screened mirrored glass. As I've stated before, if you can "feel" the raised areas on the back as the layering color process of the screening and the white matte finish on the back it's the indication of a real screened glass as of the comparison of WMS era pins.
    If it's glossy, shiny and smooth on the back it's a translite.

I just checked, and my STLE backglass is definitely much different than the one in my TWD LE. Like mnpinball mentioned, STLE has a matte finish and you can feel the raised areas. TWD LE is completely flat and glossy.

#56 8 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

What would Pinside be if it wasn't for negative threads and complaining? Stern is putting out great games and just like every other successful business they have found ways streamline manufacturing to stay in business. Clearly there are things to nitpick on for sure, but this is a case of the glass being 95% full and 5% empty and yet we all (myself included sometimes) seem to dwell on the 5% empty.
    Once you climb down off the scaffold needed to turn these games on, they are a lot of fun. That is really what it is all about. KISS is a damn fun game and that is coming from someone who REALLY does not like the theme.

Underlord's advice to Stern says it all in 3 simple words: COLLECTOR'S AREN'T OPERATORS!

I believe the complaining would die down considerably if Stern were more actively engaged with the community. Fortunately, Stern's support continues to shine. Emailed Pat today and received a response within in 30 minutes! If Stern's support were "cheapened" like the machines they sell, my NIB days would be over...no doubt.

I grew up with KISS playing in the NY dive clubs close to where I lived. In those days, they were amazing. After the first 4 albums, I lost interest. Nevertheless, I'm clearly more of a fan than you That said, I love the pin. The rule set seems like it's going to be a nice balance that will appeal to a spectrum of players. Assuming they finish the ruleset and fix the Premium/LE issues (mostly wrt The Demon mech/lock), I am happy with the purchase.

I think another reason for the bitching is inconsistency. Once upon a time, designers names were proudly listed on the translite. In those days, it was a moniker for what to expect. When Joe Balcer did TSPP for Stern, I'm sure he fought for the fit-n-finish...one of the finer built Sterns. Ritchie and Borg have their own schtick. Quite awhile ago, Stern decided to take the designer names off the translite. To me, that should have been a statement that Stern is going to take more ownership over the definition of the Pro/Premium/LE models. Unfortunately, I don't think they do a good job of it. For KISS, my Premium doesn't have powder coated armor (and the LE has Premium level armor). Is this a statement from Stern about future Premium's not having armor? Doubt it. I bet if SR is doing the next pin, that the Premium will have armor. WTF? If they aren't including something or changing something, it would be nice to communicate with collectors. Pinball attracts a geeky, technical crowd and I think more is better when it comes to communication. These are big, discretionary purchases and I get the sense that if the behavior doesn't change, it will hurt their business...especially with the tenacity some of the other vendors are showing.

#57 8 years ago

I can see/feel a difference in my LE backglasses. However, to me no matter, they all have an excellent upgraded appearance, and really make a difference especially when the game room lights are off and the pinballs are lit.
    Big thanks to Stern! But, give us ColorDMDs out of the box!!

#58 8 years ago

I wonder if the mirrored translite/backglass will be around longer should you ever need to buy a spare.

Remember BSM ? Ten extras and they are gone. You break one now you are screwed.

LTG : )™

#59 8 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

They are all fun but are they worth 9K? Hell no they are not. You think it is ok to make every game cheaper yet raise the price Then put out stuff that doesn't work? Not me

#60 8 years ago

Does it really matter when the stock lighting is a goddamn flurescent bulb. 9K and Stern can't put in backbox lighting like the B/W games. Horseshit.

horseshit.jpeghorseshit.jpeg

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Does it really matter when the stock lighting is a goddamn flurescent bulb. 9K and Stern can't put in backbox lighting like the B/W games. Horseshit.

horseshit.jpeg

You do realize the Stern no longer puts a fluorescent bulb in their backbox right? They have controllable LEDs now.

#62 8 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

They are all fun but are they worth 9K?

Has anyone even paid 8K for a Stern including tax and shipping?

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Underlord's advice to Stern says it all in 3 simple words: COLLECTOR'S AREN'T OPERATORS!

I agree when it comes for wrinkles in decals or a noisy fan, but a backglass that you have to take out and rub your hand across to tell that it is different? I looked very closely at the backglass in a KISS LE the other day and it looks awesome. Just as good as my STLE and much better than LOTR LE. I don't care what it is made of or how much it cost Stern to produce.

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

You do realize the Stern no longer puts a fluorescent bulb in their backbox right? They have controllable LEDs now

I didn't know that but it doesn't help with the TWDLE or most of the games in the past. I've been into the classic 80's stuff lately and that has really made the Stern translites and lighting look bad to me, glad they changed it.

#65 8 years ago

If Stern is faking it, I wonder if my wife is faking it too?

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Ask her

#67 8 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I agree when it comes for wrinkles in decals or a noisy fan, but a backglass that you have to take out and rub your hand across to tell that it is different? I looked very closely at the backglass in a KISS LE the other day and it looks awesome. Just as good as my STLE and much better than LOTR LE. I don't care what it is made of or how much it cost Stern to produce.

I agree with you...if it looks great now and will hold up for years, then I don't care about the process.

From my perspective, the much bigger issue with KISS LE is the BG artwork is the basically the same as the Premium! (which IIRC is the same as the Pro, with some minor color variations). An LE without a distinctive BG just isn't an LE. I'm sorry. BIBLE looks awesome...could care less about the process.

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Feel around to see if there are any raised areas.

#69 8 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Have to produce a REALLY exceptional LE option to get me to even consider another Stern. Or a kick ass pf design ( aka Tron).

You mean Funhouse?

#70 8 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

You mean Funhouse?

No, I think he meant Tommy ... or was it Congo?

#71 8 years ago
    Quoted from BenetBoy78:

She said yes.

#72 8 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

I think another reason for the bitching is inconsistency. Once upon a time, designers names were proudly listed on the translite. In those days, it was a moniker for what to expect. When Joe Balcer did TSPP for Stern, I'm sure he fought for the fit-n-finish...one of the finer built Sterns. Ritchie and Borg have their own schtick. Quite awhile ago, Stern decided to take the designer names off the translite. To me, that should have been a statement that Stern is going to take more ownership over the definition of the Pro/Premium/LE models.

Designers names were never on the translite. You used to see PLD (Pat Lawlor Design) and SRP (Steve Ritchie Productions) because they weren't employees - their independent companies were contracted the design work. Look at TSPP, POTC or any game designed in house. No name or logo. SRP no longer exists. Steve works for Stern. Hence, no logo. Nothing to do with pride or any of that.

#73 8 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I agree with a lot of what you said. Stern needs to continue to innovate, while cutting costs to remain competitive.

That said - really don't like Kiss much.

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Designers names were never on the translite. You used to see PLD (Pat Lawlor Design) and SRP (Steve Ritchie Productions) because they weren't employees - their independent companies were contracted the design work. Look at TSPP, POTC or any game designed in house. No name or logo. SRP no longer exists. Steve works for Stern. Hence, no logo. Nothing to do with pride or any of that.

Hey Greg, yeah, PLD and SRP is what I was referring to. That makes sense...thanks for the clarification.

#75 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Thanks. I really didn't feel like writing all of that out.

Artists names however have traditionally been on backglasses/translites for a while.

#76 8 years ago

TWDLE translight is a big improvement over the WD pro translight. TWDLE "mirrored" and color additions realy pop.

#77 8 years ago

I think the TWD Pre has the best looking translite by far.

#78 8 years ago

At least if you break a translite it is not the end of the world. But I prefer glass.

#79 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I think the TWD Pre has the best looking translite by far.

That's one of the worst I've ever seen. It's like Met Roadcase - doesn't match the game at all. The composition is boring with the rows of heads and the green doesn't match the rest of the game's art. TWD Pro and LE translites (or backglass or whatever) fit the rest of the art package perfectly.

#80 8 years ago

Also saw whoa nelly's backglass earlier this week.

Rally nice artwork but you could see some horizontal lines (especially in her legs) that were caused by imperfections in the printing process.

Stern really needs to raise QC. I wouldn't be happy receiving it this way.

Otherwise the game is really nice and the cabinet's design is great.

#81 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

That's one of the worst I've ever seen. It's like Met Roadcase - doesn't match the game at all. The composition is boring with the rows of heads and the green doesn't match the rest of the game's art. TWD Pro and LE translites (or backglass or whatever) fit the rest of the art package perfectly.

Yeah but you think the Family Guy is funny, how could I value your opinion. No offense

i-d20729cf9e0d847cadd13df24cc9eedc-rodney-dangerfield-picture-01.jpgi-d20729cf9e0d847cadd13df24cc9eedc-rodney-dangerfield-picture-01.jpg

#82 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Yeah but you think the Family Guy is funny, how could I value your opinion. No offense

You don't think ANYTHING funny is funny. Obsessed with blood and gore. Does anyone leave your house with all their limbs ? No offense.

#83 8 years ago

Not obsessed but I prefer blood and gore to fart jokes and cartoons that just are not funny at all, if you like it then good for you, I saw ten minutes of that TED movie it almost caused de evolution back to our ape like ancestors. I have a great sense of humour and love All in Family, Raymond, King of Queens, I love a good comedy and tend to prefer older stuff. Its like the new Roasts of today which are shit but I love the Dean Martin roasts, Don Rickles etc. I also love stand up, Doug Stanhope, Dice, Louie CK and many others, you don't know me but if you did you would find out fast that I myself am quite funny. I liked the "Does anyone leave your house with all their limbs" you see know thats funny.

#84 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I saw ten minutes of that TED movie it almost caused de evolution back to our ape like ancestors.

I got scared there for a minute....

#85 8 years ago

Hey, this is a family forum. Everyone must get along and everyone must be happy happy. No one can say anything negative about anything, you must like everything. Duloc is, Duloc is, Duloc is the peeeerfect place.

#86 8 years ago

For a cartoon family guy has plenty of blood and gore. Something for everyone!

#87 8 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Stern will continue to cut corners and increase prices until you are lining up to buy a cardboard machine for $25k.

Quoted from RobT:

These posts were made all the time on RGP 5-7 years ago. Same shit, different day. So if this were true 7 years ago, it seems that we would be playing cardboard machines by now, right?

Remember that in December 2012, Stern hired John Buscaglia as their Chief Revenue Officer.

Guess what he sold at his previous gig.

#88 8 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

Remember that in December 2012, Stern hired John Buscaglia as their Chief Revenue Officer.
    Guess what he sold at his previous gig.

topps-trading-cards.pngtopps-trading-cards.png

#89 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

That's Hilarious. Greg (rare-hero) doesn't just think Family Guy is funny, he is actually a writer for the show!!

#90 8 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

That's Hilarious. Greg (rare-hero) doesn't just think Family Guy is funny, he is actually a writer for the show!!

That is incorrect. I have never written an episode.

#91 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

That is incorrect. I have never written an episode.

Sorry, my mistake. You do work on the show though, correct? What do you do?

#92 8 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

I saw this before on an LE Avengers and have noticed it again on a Kiss LE, but it looks to me like they are no longer printing directly onto a glass for their backglasses or doing traditional silvering. Instead it looks like an adhesive translite stuck to a piece of glass. Anybody with a recent LE want to pull the trim off the side of their backglass to confirm this?

yes I can confirm they are doing this and still advertising it as a mirrored backglass not a mirrored translite. that is the only thing that bugs me, its false advertising.

#93 8 years ago

Rarehero you're a writer? Anything I would know, it doesn't have to be horror based, Sci Fi is actually my favorite concept for TV and Film, videogames and pinball too.

#94 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

For a cartoon Family Guy has plenty of blood and gore. Something for everyone!

That's true...maybe Hazoff will really like the season premiere in September!

Dead_Peter.jpgDead_Peter.jpg

#95 8 years ago

Its just not my style but I'm not really a fan of South Park either, I just can't find the humour in it, but on the other hand a lot of people can't find the humour in All in the Family so everyone has different taste's. Some people like Nicki Minaj.

#96 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Its just not my style but I'm not really a fan of South Park either, I just can't find the humour in it, but on the other hand a lot of people can't find the humour in All in the Family so everyone has different taste's.

You and Seth have similar tastes

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/style/norman-lear-and-seth-macfarlane-and-their-tv-families.html?_r=0

Quoted from kbliznick:

Sorry, my mistake. You do work on the show though, correct? What do you do?

No one understands what I do lol. Director. Short version: I draw a lot.

#97 8 years ago

....but back on topic. I don't understand why this is a controversy. Whether it's matte on the back or smooth on the back, the art is adhered to the glass. So, if it breaks, you're f*cked....therefore, it's a backglass.

I've had most of the LE's up through STLE & I have seen TWD LE...they all looked nice and mirrored - if they've changed the process, it doesn't bother me as they all look like the same quality from the front, IMO. These are probably more durable, too - and not prone to scratching or flaking like old-school backglasses.

#98 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

....but back on topic. I don't understand why this is a controversy. Whether it's matte on the back or smooth on the back, the art is adhered to the glass. So, if it breaks, you're f*cked....therefore, it's a backglass.

So just to look at this from a different angle. If I was to take my FGY translite and glue it to the glass, could I then advertise it as a family guy with a real backglass when I sell it?

#99 8 years ago

I was incorrect in my earlier statement, went down and took the glass off my STLE last night as I originally thought it was only a translite. It is some sort of screening, not the same as my Metallica, but it isn't a translite.

#100 8 years ago

I just stopped by to say that Family Guy is pretty funny.

There are 147 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-stern-faking-the-backglasses-in-their-le-machines/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.