Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 320 posts
  • 123 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is stern evil???”

• Yea, that wasnt cool guys. 76 votes
      40%
    • Nope, stern can do no wrong. 30 votes
      16%
    • Hear no evil, see no evil. Its pinball baby! 83 votes
      44%

(189 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dynasty01 (resized).jpg
    B8A7EE09-972F-4730-BD61-470C8B58C530 (resized).jpeg
    2fg8b9 (resized).jpg
    51P+5zOWVgL (resized).jpg
    who_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpg
    bobcat-goldthwait-one-crazy-summ1 (resized).jpg
    mash_alda_hed (resized).jpg
    Nuclear-Devil-Horns (resized).jpg
    nomoremrniceguy.jpg
    A3C780BC-DB3F-4431-93CF-8974F9D2FFB2 (resized).jpeg
    D8C726EF-0869-4A69-9E03-785AE65DEE32 (resized).jpeg
    Hear-No-Evil-See-No-Evil-Speak-No-Evil (resized).png
    addtext_com_MTA1NzUyNzI2OA.jpg
    BC18DCC0-B9CE-49C2-BA7B-55849B19A63B (resized).jpeg
    ci-captain-morgan-original-spiced-rum-d263a0fe5dd6c1b2 (resized).jpeg
    F0044868-A042-4295-8577-3253522B8FB7 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from TwoHeartedMale:

I just finished the latest spooky pinball podcast and i now have a bad taste in my mouth about stern. I feel everything chuck said i totally agree with, "thats just business" is what cold hearted people say when they walk all over nice people in order to make a few bucks. Spooky will survive im sure, but when you mess with a business that small, your messing with someones family. If stern did that to my family, id be up in arms. And the thing that really gets my goat is they did it for no reason!!! They wont even make this theme, they threw money away just to stab the emerys in the back. And all of that was after chuck handed stern a GOOD licence on a silver platter. If stern hurts spooky they are deliberately hurting pinball. If they hurt pinball they hurt us. I feel stern just attacked us, as a family.

Spot on 100%

Stern cares about noone bu their bottom line. Many of the people in charge don't even care about pinball or the people.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from kst8cat:

Can you bring us up to speed on what exactly Stern did? So they purchased a license to prevent Spooky from acquiring it? What license was it?

There is more to it, but the TLDR version is tha Stern bought godzilla licensewith no inten to make a game and just to prevent spooky from being able to make their dream theme.

#11 5 years ago

Ive always had a love/hate feeling with stern, on one hand they single handedly kept pinball alive, but they did that with paying VERY low wages and making crap games.

Pretty sure pinball would have been just fine without stern. I think pinball stayed alive despite stern and i dispise how they run their business on the backs of the hard working poor. Go read some of the old eddit threads from previous stern employees if you want a eal look athow dark it ison the inside.

#69 5 years ago

Who was making Pins during the "DARK YEARS", other then stern? do you really think someone would have stepped into a dead market?

Yes, 100% someone would have stepped into the market. Everyone always says that "Stern saved pinball" because that is the dialog they started and want you to believe. That is merely marketing that stuck. I firmly believe that us pinheads saved pinball. We saved all the good games from going to the dump, we started up shows and kept them running, we kept games accessible and working for the general public to be exposed to.

If Stern had just closed up shop during the "dark years" then someone else would have stepped in when timing was right and we probably would have seen more innovation and change sooner rather than just the past few years. Stern has done very little positive for pinball history from my perspective.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

I thought Alice Cooper was their dream theme?

Alice was a dream music theme. Then again anyone paying even a sliver of attention to team Spooky knows Godzilla is THE dream theme. Go look at the short history of Charlie/Bug and their first ever pin... or go listen to almost any of their podcasts where for years before even manufacturing pins they obviously loved the theme.

For all those of you that keep saying "it is just business" please step back and realize that this is not just business. Watch the actions and behaviors of Sterns head licensing guy over the years and he is obviously filled with spite and hatred of a small insecure boy. His actions are what provide a clear understanding of his intent. Those that are paying attention have hit the nail on the head with this one. This license grab was done for spite. I know that can be hard on the feels if you are a Stern fan, but that is reality and a reality we all have to live with when we support them.

I really do think we are currently in the beginning of the dark ages of pinball. Stern has ballooned out of control and cant possibly sell enough games in the coming years given the looming competition that are taking market share (sorry but all those smaller parts add up). Toss in a little deeproot which seems to be more than happy to use his financial weight and legal ego to sue others into submission. Mix it all together with decreased Stern quality with higher prices (it is all just business right? and they gotta make hay while the sun shines). Exciting times with lots of new games as the NIB high prices market is all tanking.

JMHO, but the less I can support a company that ruthlessly takes licenses from others with no intent to make them, continues to decrease build quality/qc, and has increased prices over 30% in the past 4 years, the better for the longer term health of a community and hobby I care for.

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Gary Stern DEFINITELY saved pinball!

lol. Gary Stern ran a business. He definitely did not save anything.

Roger Sharpe > sure that guy saved pinball. Gary Stern knew how to do 1 thing and that thing was/is the business of making pinball. Pinball machines were still on route and in bars and even in homes during those dark years. Stern make some sub par games, learned how to cut costs during that time, and cheapened the entire product.

It is not like others had exited the industry because it was not profitable. It merely was not as profitable as other areas where they could leverage the same manufacturing expertise.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Since you seem to know so much more than everyone else, can you please elaborate on which company was going to fill the void if Stern closed up shop in 2008.

ANY company that came along and decided it was a market space they wanted to be in. You can easily predict the alternate history... A previous company could have started back up. Multiple new companies could have started. The reality we now see would likely not be much different in number of players if Stern had closed shop.

Do you really think JJP and spooky only entered the market because Stern was still around? They entered the market despite Stern being the big player with a history of how they act.

I gotta say, it really is not that big of a void to fill... From 2000 to 2010 they made ~30 different titles. How many of those are currently considered good? 3 maybe 4 if you are a stern lover.

LOTR, TSPP, Spidey, Tron

All the rest is largely junk titles that nobody really seeks out or rates highly now. Stern during the dark years is not very good...

#156 5 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

In January of 2018, I took a vacation in Chicago. I got a wild hair up my ass to email Stern on a Sunday and just asked if I could take a tour sometime of the week I was in town. I didn't really think there was a chance of touring on such short notice......a Chief Revenue Officer for Stern (I am purposely leaving his name out) emailed me back early Monday morning and said "When can you tour?" I was blown away that "Stern" responded so quickly. They don't know me. I did explain in my email...I had bought a few NIB machines in the past to carry some weight for a tour..... 48 hours later, my friend and I were touring Stern's factory.... The assembly line was shut down for inventory that week, but we didn't care. After the tour was over (The CRO also gave the tour) dropped us off in the area where you see Jack Danger and others play the different Stern pins on the live streams. The CRO stated he sincerely appreciated my business, gave me his business card, with his cell number on the back. He then said he was going back to his office...and play all the pinball you want...and just left us there to play as much pinball as we wanted. I couldn't believe he just left us there...unattended...what a cool experience.
    I'm calling bullshit when you say "Many of the people in charge don't even care about pinball or the people". Your hatred for Stern is embarrassing and has caused a lot of people to lose money in shoe string operation pinball manufacturers.

yes, i said they are good businessmen... That was them doing business.

This issue at hand is they have no heart and in fact let "business" for the short term (sniping a license) get int he way of business for the long term (good relations with the community as a whole).

I can completely see after that experience why you are all in for them. They stroked what you needed and you are committed to them because of it (you already were if you have bought numerous NIB) and that is cool for you. i am glad they gave you a personal tour and you got that fun experience. I hope you can see where others feel in the same way you do, just opposite due to their recent actions. They kissed your ass while others rightfuly feel kicked in the junk

#170 5 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

"Others" who? If you mean Spooky, they are not Stern customers. They are Stern's competition. It's Stern's job to kick them in the junk.

Others = stern customers

You are fooling yourself if you don't think $5000+ Toys are emotional purchases. Stern has been slowly pissing people off weather it is bad product, poor qc, missing code, lies about code every two weeks, 'just business', etc...

Seems like more and more decisions of where to spend money are out there and the things like this all add up.

Quoted from iceman44:

ome on Hilton, you know better. Nobody really gives a shit in this hobby. Its mostly whatever benefits the individual/company, buyer or seller.

I don't experience that IRL at all. I see both companies and individuals that regularly do nice things for others despite not making the nost money or benefit for them. I have bought and sold multiple deals in the past year. Could have sold for more. Could have been charged more.

I also saw with Spooky that they. Could have easily upped the price on TNA, but they worked hard to keep BOM down and the price of the games down. Pretty sure it is the least profitable game they have meade to date, but they actually care about the community and wanted to not strip back the game in any way just for business reasons. Sometimes it is OK to show your heart IMO. Feels good to.

#257 5 years ago

Can the real Jody Yankberg please stand up? please stand up.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-stern-evil?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.