Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 320 posts
  • 123 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is stern evil???”

• Yea, that wasnt cool guys. 76 votes
      40%
    • Nope, stern can do no wrong. 30 votes
      16%
    • Hear no evil, see no evil. Its pinball baby! 83 votes
      44%

(189 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dynasty01 (resized).jpg
    B8A7EE09-972F-4730-BD61-470C8B58C530 (resized).jpeg
    2fg8b9 (resized).jpg
    51P+5zOWVgL (resized).jpg
    who_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpg
    bobcat-goldthwait-one-crazy-summ1 (resized).jpg
    mash_alda_hed (resized).jpg
    Nuclear-Devil-Horns (resized).jpg
    nomoremrniceguy.jpg
    A3C780BC-DB3F-4431-93CF-8974F9D2FFB2 (resized).jpeg
    D8C726EF-0869-4A69-9E03-785AE65DEE32 (resized).jpeg
    Hear-No-Evil-See-No-Evil-Speak-No-Evil (resized).png
    addtext_com_MTA1NzUyNzI2OA.jpg
    BC18DCC0-B9CE-49C2-BA7B-55849B19A63B (resized).jpeg
    ci-captain-morgan-original-spiced-rum-d263a0fe5dd6c1b2 (resized).jpeg
    F0044868-A042-4295-8577-3253522B8FB7 (resized).png
    There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
    #1 5 years ago

I just finished the latest spooky pinball podcast and i now have a bad taste in my mouth about stern. I feel everything chuck said i totally agree with, "thats just business" is what cold hearted people say when they walk all over nice people in order to make a few bucks. Spooky will survive im sure, but when you mess with a business that small, your messing with someones family. If stern did that to my family, id be up in arms. And the thing that really gets my goat is they did it for no reason!!! They wont even make this theme, they threw money away just to stab the emerys in the back. And all of that was after chuck handed stern a GOOD licence on a silver platter. If stern hurts spooky they are deliberately hurting pinball.

#2 5 years ago

Boo

#3 5 years ago

For those who still think that you can do whatever you want in order to make a few bucks and call it "that's just business" i want to remind you that stern is very unlikely to even do anything with this theme. They spent money for the sole fact of taking a shot at spooky. And that was done as a thank you. Thats an attack in my eyes.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from TwoHeartedMale:

I just finished the latest spooky pinball podcast and i now have a bad taste in my mouth about stern. I feel everything chuck said i totally agree with, "thats just business" is what cold hearted people say when they walk all over nice people in order to make a few bucks. Spooky will survive im sure, but when you mess with a business that small, your messing with someones family. If stern did that to my family, id be up in arms. And the thing that really gets my goat is they did it for no reason!!! They wont even make this theme, they threw money away just to stab the emerys in the back. And all of that was after chuck handed stern a GOOD licence on a silver platter. If stern hurts spooky they are deliberately hurting pinball. If they hurt pinball they hurt us. I feel stern just attacked us, as a family.

Spot on 100%

Stern cares about noone bu their bottom line. Many of the people in charge don't even care about pinball or the people.

#5 5 years ago

I appreciate your passion, but at the end of the day Stern will do what they need to do to protect their company. I own titles form both companies and even though I hate that it was done to Charlie I hope he will see that sometimes it is best to leave your passion under your hat.

#6 5 years ago

Can you provide more detail as to what went down for those of us that haven't listened to the podcast and don't plan to? (I'm far enough behind on "U Talkin' REM 2 Me" as it is without dabbling in other podcasts).

#7 5 years ago

Can you bring us up to speed on what exactly Stern did? So they purchased a license to prevent Spooky from acquiring it? What license was it?

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Spot on 100%
    Stern cares about noone bu their bottom line. Many of the people in charge don't even care about pinball or the people.

Ive always had a love/hate feeling with stern, on one hand they single handedly kept pinball alive, but they did that with paying VERY low *Bleep* and making crap games.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from kst8cat:

Can you bring us up to speed on what exactly Stern did? So they purchased a license to prevent Spooky from acquiring it? What license was it?

There is more to it, but the TLDR version is tha Stern bought godzilla licensewith no inten to make a game and just to prevent spooky from being able to make their dream theme.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

I appreciate your passion, but at the end of the day Stern will do what they need to do to protect their company. I own titles form both companies and even though I hate that it was done to Charlie I hope he will see that sometimes it is best to leave your passion under your hat.

Please explain to me what they really have to gain by this move? Did you hear how it all went down? Stern guy walked in on the middle of a meeting!!!! That's a huge dick move. Everyone knows they are the biggest name in the game, do they need to swing "IT" around and slap people in the face with it? That was an attack, please prove me wrong. I'd like to enjoy stern again.

#11 5 years ago

Ive always had a love/hate feeling with stern, on one hand they single handedly kept pinball alive, but they did that with paying VERY low wages and making crap games.

Pretty sure pinball would have been just fine without stern. I think pinball stayed alive despite stern and i dispise how they run their business on the backs of the hard working poor. Go read some of the old eddit threads from previous stern employees if you want a eal look athow dark it ison the inside.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from kst8cat:

A stern person walked in on a meeting with spooky and TOHO(Godzilla)/(The Emery family drug of choice) and just basically outbid The smallest name in the game just to do it. Stern could have at least waited till after the meeting!?!?!?!? am I right?

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Pretty sure pinball would have been just fine without stern. I think pinball stayed alive despite stern and i dispise how they run their business on the backs of the hard working poor. Go read some of the old eddit threads from previous stern employees if you want a eal look athow dark it ison the inside.

ummmmmm I wish that was true.... Who was making Pins during the "DARK YEARS", other then stern? do you really think someone would have stepped into a dead market? Who whould have had the money to "start" the market back up again? Deeproot? lol. but yea I've heard some of the horror story's of what's its like to work for old Gary.

#14 5 years ago

My question in this is why would TOHO not go with Spooky? I mean it takes two to tango. I think it is crappy on Stern's part, but yeah.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

My question in this is why would TOHO not go with Spooky? I mean it takes two to tango. I think it is crappy on Stern's part, but yeah.

TOHO is in the money making business. This was a license meeting, The people in charge of any License have one goal, make as much money as you can.

#16 5 years ago

TOHO is in the money making business. This was a license meeting, The people in charge of any License have one goal, make as much money as you can.

This means the "original Theme" is and will be making a big comeback!!! Thank God!!! Please no more Butt Rock Themes!!!

#17 5 years ago

Ive always had a love/hate feeling with stern, on one hand they single handedly kept pinball alive, but they did that with paying VERY low wages and making crap games.

Like Lord of the Rings and Spiderman and Pirates? And what do you know about pinball factory wages? Can you spare us the baloney virtue signaling?

#18 5 years ago

Stern as a company has always made me feel distain. Since bringing in 3 models of pins. Building cheaper made games. And cost-cutting every new game but charging more with every new pin. ReIeasing unfinished games. Lipservice about code. Batman 66 was my tipping point. IMHO the greatest theme, but the shittiest playing game. And the highest price. I can't see myself ever buying a new Stern again.

I hope spooky makes a game that blows any Stern out of the water in gameplay and pricing.

Throw it right back at them.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Like Lord of the Rings and Spiderman and Pirates? And what do you know about pinball factory wages? Can you spare us the baloney virtue signaling?

Thats 3 out of how many? Im not aloud to say the W word, but if u dont belive "us" do a google search, my friend.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Stern as a company has always made me feel distain. Since bringing in 3 models of pins. Building cheaper made games. And cost-cutting every new game but charging more with every new pin. ReIeasing unfinished games. Lipservice about code. Batman 66 was my tipping point. IMHO the greatest theme, but the shittiest playing game. And the highest price. I can't

see myself ever buying a new Stern again.
    I hope spooky makes a game that blows any Stern out of the water in gameplay and pricing.

Thats how i feel, thanks.

#21 5 years ago
    A48A3BAF-3808-4F27-8576-5A96B711407C (resized).jpegA48A3BAF-3808-4F27-8576-5A96B711407C (resized).jpeg
    #22 5 years ago

The tallest trees capture the most sun, but also catch the most wind. It's the double edge of being the big dog. You get to swing your market share around, but you will be hated for it. This bothers me very little, as it is common in business of any industry.

I also, like you, think that competition and having multiple pinball manufacturers in the game is good for the industry as well as us, the consumers. However, I think that in the long run this setback is good for Spooky. It will steel their reserve and push them to shed any lingering naivety they may have had, and instead focus themselves to start actually putting out great games. I like TNA, and have hopes that Alice Cooper will be great. However, they still haven't released anything great yet. No instant classic, undeniable pin. I hope this drives them. I want to see it. I know that we all do. It was nice being the cute little underdog that everyone rooted for, and appreciated just for showing up. Now it's time to see the little dog's teeth.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Stern as a company has always made me feel distain. Since bringing in 3 models of pins. Building cheaper made games. And cost-cutting every new game but charging more with every new pin. ReIeasing unfinished games. Lipservice about code. Batman 66 was my tipping point. IMHO the greatest theme, but the shittiest playing game. And the highest price. I can't see myself ever buying a new Stern again.

Welcome to the club....The other Stern Army.

#24 5 years ago

It kind of reminds me of 13 years ago when EA bought the NFL license to prevent NFL2k from competing with them anymore. Well that worked for a while, then they devoted all those same people to NBA2k and crushed EA's basketball game and now outsell Madden with their basketball game, while EA still has to pay the high exclusive license cost, lol. Things that are done for anti-competitive reasons have a way of backfiring. EA lost the respect of all sports gamers with that move and it's reputation really hasn't recovered. That's not to say Spooky is going to outsell Stern anytime soon, but if Spooky ever puts out a superior product to Stern and can produce it in numbers, then things could shift quickly.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

The tallest trees capture the most sun, but also catch the most wind. It's the double edge of being the big dog. You get to swing your market share around, but you will be hated for it. This bothers me very little, as it is common in business of any industry.
    I also, like you, think that competition and having multiple pinball manufacturers in the game is good for the industry as well as us, the consumers. However, I think that in the long run this setback is good for Spooky. It will steel their reserve and push them to shed any lingering naivety they may have had, and instead focus themselves to start actually putting out great games. I like TNA, and have hopes that Alice Cooper will be great. However, they still haven't released anything great yet. No instant classic, undeniable pin. I hope this drives them. I want to see it. I know that we all do. It was nice being the cute little underdog that everyone rooted for, and appreciated just for showing up. Now it's time to see the little dog's teeth.

First off, Thank you for posting something smart and with a little thought behind it. I think i might be able to live with stern stealing TOHO, but what i can't live with is how they did it. They could have just sent an email the next day, but no, they sent someone down in person to walk in on a meeting?!! just walked in with no respect for TOHO or Spooky or to pinball for that matter. Thats what hurts,Its super insulating on few levels. when you take a dig at someone who is putting his heart and soul into our hobby, actually TRYING to make this community better, it cuts me deep. Pinball hasn't been this good in a real long time, and after this, i don't feel like stern thinks thats a good thing.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

There is more to it, but the TLDR version is tha Stern bought godzilla licensewith no inten to make a game and just to prevent spooky from being able to make their dream theme.

I thought Alice Cooper was their dream theme?

#27 5 years ago

First off, Thank you for posting something smart and with a little thought behind it. I think i might be able to live with stern stealing TOHO, but what i can't live with is how they did it. They could have just sent an email the next day, but no, they sent someone down in person to walk in on a meeting?!! just walked in with no respect for TOHO or Spooky or to pinball for that matter. Thats what hurts,Its super insulating on few levels. when you take a dig at someone who is putting his heart and soul into our hobby, actually TRYING to make this community better, it cuts me deep. Pinball hasn't been this good in a real long time, and after this, i don't feel like stern thinks thats a good thing.

Good lord, its called business. It happens everyday, thankfully not in pinball or you would need to buy stock in Kleenex brand.

#28 5 years ago

Thats 3 out of how many? Im not aloud to say the W word, but if u dont belive "us" do a google search, my friend.

"Us"? That's a good one. How long have you been here?

#29 5 years ago

To long?

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

I thought Alice Cooper was their dream theme?

Alice is a dream "music" Theme. Godzilla is tops

#31 5 years ago

Long enough to have learned your rep big fella.

#32 5 years ago

What I'm trying to say is, dude, there's lots of opinions on here and you can only speak for yourself.

#33 5 years ago

I personally own a small business in a very niche field. When I started there were only a few places like mine and now then there were dozens and dozens... Now only a few remain... I personally believe rising tide raises all ships. And that if a company offers a good product, then they will create new customers for our market. Some of those customers in time will find my business, because I have faith in my product, and the quality of it.... Now, you need to of course make a good product for that to be true... Now, I don't hate competitors I like them... So long as they offer good product and don't drive away people by offering inferior rip offs.
    And it's not good business for stern to buy a license that they have no plans to develop.
    Two major reasons. First you paid money for an asset you will never use. And the second reason this drives up the cost of licenses.
    So in both the short and long term its a bad decision.

However, what if Stern does make a game from it. We all know pinball themes matter. There are themes that will never get my money, not even a quarter of it.
    So lets wait and see what happens. I personally if I were stern. Would avoid bidding wars on themes in an attempt to drive the price down on them.
    I refuse to believe that all the good ideas are gone... Also I think you could make a good non-license game and it be successful. Dialed in was just a horrible theme. Also I think no backglass hurt it. It's a cool looking pinball that I would totally play in the wild. Never going to buy. Its just ugly and dumb to look at.

#34 5 years ago

Stern evil? Hmmm....naw they're a business and they are just as shady as anyone else. Now, you wanna talk aboot why shit is so crazy in price that's JJP right there...they boned all of us great games or not. Assholes with their "dream themes," jesus grow up.
    Now if you'll excuse me I gotta grab another Captain(T) & Coke.
    Or Pepsi whatever.

#35 5 years ago

Might have been a decent topic if worded a bit different.
    Instead it’s another agenda ridden Stern bash thread.

#36 5 years ago

What I'm trying to say is, dude, there's lots of opinions on here and you can only speak for yourself.

and what i ment by "Us" was that i'm not the only person who has heard that stern may or *may-not suck to work for. i'm not trying to speak for anyone. and i honestly would like to hear what everyone has to think, hence the me starting this.

#37 5 years ago

I'm sure this is all covered in the podcast, but how did Stern find out the meeting was happening at all, let alone the time and location, such that someone from Stern could bust in on it? Seems pretty melodramatic and not something TOHO would appreciate either. And did someone from Stern actually tell Spooky that they didn't plan to utilize the Godzilla license and were only buying it to jam Spooky up? Again, seems like kooky behavior, not what I'd call "just business."

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

or how aboot when it wasn;t coded with what happened in a goddamn podcast 80% of people didn't listen to.

Now if you'll excuse me I'll go back in my basement and complete my Bible Adventure Game.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Stern evil? Hmmm....naw they're a business and they are just as shady as anyone else. Now, you wanna talk aboot why shit is so crazy in price that's JJP right there...they boned all of us great games or not. Assholes with their "dream themes," jesus grow up.
    Or Pepsi whatever.

Thumbs down for drinking Captain & Pepsi.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Thumbs down for drinking Captain & Pepsi.

thumbs down for late night fourm drinking. guess it makes you crusty

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Or Pepsi whatever.

yea, dammit all of us guys who spend thousands on "games" really need to "grow up" ....... if that means giving up dreaming....... well sign me out.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Instead it’s another agenda ridden Stern bash thread.

thanks for making it better....

#43 5 years ago

If I'm crusty it's because I'm running on tap water this evening, trust me.

#44 5 years ago

naw, he's one of the good guys.

dammit all of us guys who spend thousands on "games" really need to "grow up" ....... if that means giving up dreaming....... well sign me out.

Whoa Whoa tight-tits simmer down. There's a diff'rence betwixt "dreaming" and "jerking off all over a dream theme." Dream themes are dumb...themes don't make games great as a player, gameplay does.

EDIT: Now if you'll excuse me my wife went to bed and I'm going in the basement to drink and listen to music and fumble around like I'm doing something for a couple hours. Don't try to aut Ann Arbor me...I'm a townie.

#45 5 years ago

For those of us that did not listen to the podcast can someone fill in the grey area. Which license, what dud Stern do?

#46 5 years ago

Would they pass the evil corporation test?

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

For those of us that did not listen to the podcast can someone fill in the grey area. Which license, what dud Stern do?

They took all your sticker mods. Those dirty dogs!

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Post #9

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

naw, he's one of the good guys.

Whoa Whoa tight-tits simmer down. There's a diff'rence betwixt "dreaming" and "jerking off all over a dream theme." Dream themes are dumb...themes don't make games great as a player, gameplay does.

well i have been working out, thanks for noticing i also think dream themes and spank bank should be kept apart.... i really hate how a theme can turn people off from a pin. I think the iron madden pin may be the G.O.A.T. but i don't feel the same for the band. doesn't change how great it feels to play that pin.

#50 5 years ago

I wish I could thumbs down this too but for some reason I've used up my quota on the rest of your crazy posts.

There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-stern-evil?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.