Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 320 posts
  • 123 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is stern evil???”

• Yea, that wasnt cool guys. 76 votes
      40%
    • Nope, stern can do no wrong. 30 votes
      16%
    • Hear no evil, see no evil. Its pinball baby! 83 votes
      44%

(189 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dynasty01 (resized).jpg
    B8A7EE09-972F-4730-BD61-470C8B58C530 (resized).jpeg
    2fg8b9 (resized).jpg
    51P+5zOWVgL (resized).jpg
    who_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpg
    bobcat-goldthwait-one-crazy-summ1 (resized).jpg
    mash_alda_hed (resized).jpg
    Nuclear-Devil-Horns (resized).jpg
    nomoremrniceguy.jpg
    A3C780BC-DB3F-4431-93CF-8974F9D2FFB2 (resized).jpeg
    D8C726EF-0869-4A69-9E03-785AE65DEE32 (resized).jpeg
    Hear-No-Evil-See-No-Evil-Speak-No-Evil (resized).png
    addtext_com_MTA1NzUyNzI2OA.jpg
    BC18DCC0-B9CE-49C2-BA7B-55849B19A63B (resized).jpeg
    ci-captain-morgan-original-spiced-rum-d263a0fe5dd6c1b2 (resized).jpeg
    F0044868-A042-4295-8577-3253522B8FB7 (resized).png
    There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
    #201 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

It should also be noted that Jack was one of sterns biggest distributors for some time. So, jack talking smack about Gary Stern was to be expected

I’m not sure if I understand the logic behind this statement. Given the long and mutually fruitful relationship the parties enjoyed I would say that would make someone far less inclined to bad mouth the other person...not more inclined.

I understand Jack felt mistreated by the LOTR LE situation...but that is a different issue entirely from some of the things Jack was saying before WOZ started shipping...

#202 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Stern has no comment at this time.....

That's what i thought...

#203 5 years ago
    Quoted from Charliew65:

How could you strip back a TNA? Take out the lock? the one interesting thing the game has.

Take out the numeric displays , different operating system , Translite instead of backglass , a cheaper way of controlling the leds . There was plenty of ways to strip back TNA , none of which Scott wanted to happen to his game .

#204 5 years ago

Hard to believe licenses can just be purchased without a commitment to making a game, but I guess anyone takes the money if get an offer to make money from one end user.

#205 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

So, jack talking smack about Gary Stern was to be expected.

My God I bet you also say "it's not what you said but how you said it" "that"s different "

#206 5 years ago

With only 97 Pinsiders participating the thread need relevance of the thread in the poll

#207 5 years ago

I have no knowledge of what went down....if it was a private negotiation and Stern crashed it then yeah it’s a dick move.

Now if the truth is there was a gentleman’s agreement that Stern would not pursue the license and the meeting was not private but for others to make offers then it’s business....dick move still but even shittier by rubbing it in if there is no intention by Stern to make the game.

All these politics and secrecy leave a sour taste in my mouth. Spooky has always said they are not interested in being the big dog and taking down Stern. Well all this tells me is the niche market Spooky is selling to IS hurting Stern. Yeah there are more titles and games selling than there has been in a long time but understand we are talking small numbers of each title being produced so all these companies need every sale they can to survive.

Captain obvious here but the smaller companies have to secure a license that is a hit or do killer original themes and they know this. Stern is the big dog and will protect their interests. If it costs Stern money to buy a license that prevents a competitor from cutting into their sales that’s what they are gonna do. Gary truly has a passion for pinball but his bigger obsession is obviously money and the legacy and survival of the company. That’s business.

#208 5 years ago

What happens more often than not is Spooky (or any other company) will talk to a license. Said license will then "want to look around" which means see if anybody else will give them a better deal. This inevitably leads to Stern. Who then realize some other company does have interest in said license, causing Stern to pounce and remove it as an option for the competition.

And yes Stern will sit on desirable licenses just to prevent others from using it. Of the titles they've sniped only Munsters has become real.

#209 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

And yes Stern will sit on desirable licenses just to prevent others from using it. Of the titles they've sniped only Munsters has become real.

I wish they would use the rumoured Jurassic World licence they have supposedly had for years.

Just don’t tell me they are sitting on Fast and Furious because I’d like to see that as a reality some day.

#210 5 years ago

I think this is a legit question.

Someone from Stern really needs to chime in here:

Is your company indeed evil, and if so, why?

#211 5 years ago

Well Spooky better not blabbermouth about any Jaws licensing when going that route.

#212 5 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Well Spooky better not blabbermouth about any Jaws licensing when going that route.

With Spooky, they had already been declaring it a dream theme well before they were a pinball company. Their podcast predates their manufacturing by quite a bit. Ever since they started making games, they've kept quiet about what they're licensing to build a game.

#213 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Can you list off titles that Stern sniped and not used? Curious.

#214 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Can you list off titles that Stern sniped and not used? Curious.

I don't feel that's my place to say.

If Stern pays more or commits faster, that's just business.

#215 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

I don't feel that's my place to say.
    If Stern pays more or commits faster, that's just business.

Yeah I see your point.

#216 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

If Stern pays more or commits faster

Pays more, commits faster OR have something better to offer.

With new movies there is shared benefit of publicity that goes both ways. I know pinball is very niche. But it is clear that Stern has far more reach out and sells far more games of any particular model.

So, the new movie is a bit of the problem for Spooky. Sure it would have been nice for them, had they landed the license, with some general Godzilla buzz. But, I still assume they would have themed off the Japanese movies. Maybe even the old ones only.

#217 5 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

So, the new movie is a bit of the problem for Spooky. Sure it would have been nice for them, had they landed the license, with some general Godzilla buzz. But, I still assume they would have themed off the Japanese movies. Maybe even the old ones only.

Those are separate licenses, I believe.

#218 5 years ago

alice has some advice for everyone who realizes that pinball manufacturing is a business.

nomoremrniceguy.jpgnomoremrniceguy.jpg
    #219 5 years ago

While SWLE was my last new Stern pinball due to the fact that the LE machine was stripped IMO, I don't see any problem with the free enterprise system. If/When Stern gets too greedy the market will change, but as of now Stern is killing it. I, for one, see more value in the remakes from CGC. My AFMLE has a far superior light show, display, and sound system along with a better cabinet build than anything Stern makes and it was cheaper as well. Of course, the remake market is only so big. I am also finding good value in some older mint Williams machines such as NGG.

I think we are in a bubble as far as the pinball market goes and when the correction comes it will be significant. We will see how Stern and everyone else survives it.

#220 5 years ago

Re-arrange the letters and there SERTN!!! lol

Nuclear-Devil-Horns (resized).jpgNuclear-Devil-Horns (resized).jpg
    #221 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

TWO questions here:
    1. Is Stern making Godzilla? If so, thats cool...
    2. If they are not making Godzilla, why did they buy the rights???
    Very simple questions...

Stern is not going to answer either of these questions for you, nor should they.

#222 5 years ago
    Quoted from glasairpilot:

I think we are in a bubble as far as the pinball market goes and when the correction comes it will be significant. We will see how Stern and everyone else survives it.

I think Stern’s 90% LTV Stated Income/ Stated Asset loan program will bite them in the ass in the long run.

#223 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

TWO questions here:
    1. Is Stern making Godzilla? If so, thats cool...
    2. If they are not making Godzilla, why did they buy the rights???
    Very simple questions...

One question here:
    Is there any evidence that Stern, having paid good money for the Godzilla rights, doesn't intend to make it? And if so, will someone please tell the rest of us what it is already?!?

Unless what everyone means is that Stern's planning a pin based on the new Godzilla movie and is covering their bases so that a competing Godzilla project doesn't pop up, in which case that seems like a reasonable business move and not particularly scandalous.

#224 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I think Stern’s 90% LTV Stated Income/ Stated Asset loan program will bite them in the ass in the long run.

I am surprised they are borrowing any money at this point. I think about how many $6-$8k machines leaving the door daily and what the total overhead would be. It would help a lot if they would move out of the communist country of Chicago to a more tax friendly city/state.

#225 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

One question here:
    Is there any evidence that Stern, having paid good money for the Godzilla rights, doesn't intend to make it? And if so, will someone please tell the rest of us what it is already?!?
    Unless what everyone means is that Stern's planning a pin based on the new Godzilla movie and is covering their bases so that a competing Godzilla project doesn't pop up, in which case that seems like a reasonable business move and not particularly scandalous.

It's fine to buy a license, but to barge in on someone else's meeting is extremely disrespectful and unprofessional. But hey, "that guy" has never been too concerned with being anything other than a jerk.

#226 5 years ago

Jezus christ wat kind of tread is this.
    Stern evil hell no.
    Just as evil as every other manufacture.
    THE WANT TO SELL AS MANY GAMES AS THE CAN JUST AS EVERY OTHER MANUFACTURE.

#227 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwil:

Jezus christ wat kind of tread is this.

It’s a bunch of sensational posts with zero evidence to back them made by people with axes to grind and zero understanding of how business works. I do feel bad for Charlie that he didn’t get the license since it was a dream theme for him, but he’s not the only one that’s ever lost out on a license. If Stern see’s value in a license and think they may want to produce it in the future they have every right to try and obtain it, even if another company has previously expressed interest. With the number of new companies making pinball machines, Stern has probably decided they need to be more aggressive going after desirable licenses.

#228 5 years ago

^^^^This guy gets it

#229 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

What happens more often than not is Spooky (or any other company) will talk to a license. Said license will then "want to look around" which means see if anybody else will give them a better deal. This inevitably leads to Stern. Who then realize some other company does have interest in said license, causing Stern to pounce and remove it as an option for the competition.

Ugg Munsters...we're really scrapping the bottom of the barrel here what's next is JJP doing MASH! lol

mash_alda_hed (resized).jpgmash_alda_hed (resized).jpg
    #230 5 years ago
    Quoted from BudManPinFan:

It’s a bunch of sensational posts with zero evidence to back them made by people with axes to grind and zero understanding of how business works.

Well. I wouldn't say zero evidence. Both Spooky Charlie and Robert Mueller have commented on this. Of course you can refuse this as evidence, if you like.

Yes, there are circumstantial evidence and assumptions at current. But it doesn't mean that it cannot be debated under those terms. I agree, things tend to drift on a forum like this one. But still.

"How business works". Well, wouldn't you agree, that, generally speaking, any business may face a lose due to unethical behaviour. And vice versa. I certainly hope so.

#231 5 years ago

here is some footage of a 'meeting' from the 2018 licensing expo. at 7:33 someone interrupts. 'ill call you next week'. probably happens all the time in such an informal setting.

is this really what took place instead?
    a private meeting, behind closed doors, and someone barges in?

#232 5 years ago

I'd prefer a One Crazy Summer theme anyway. Plus you get the best Godzilla of them all....Bobcat Zilla...

bobcat-goldthwait-one-crazy-summ1 (resized).jpgbobcat-goldthwait-one-crazy-summ1 (resized).jpg
    #233 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

I'd prefer a One Crazy Summer theme anyway. Plus you get the best Godzilla of them all....Bobcat Zilla...[quoted image]

One Crazy Summer, holy cow I haven't thought about that movie in a long time. I must have watched that movie at least a few dozen times as a kid.

Getting the pinball through a ring, i.e. throwing the ball up to the mast, would be a super fun toy.

#234 5 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

Well. I wouldn't say zero evidence. Both Spooky Charlie and Robert Mueller have commented on this. Of course you can refuse this as evidence, if you like.

Did Charlie or Robert Mueller say that Stern told them it has no plans to make a Godzilla pin? Or did they specify why they think Stern won’t actually use the license? I’m honestly asking, haven’t heard the podcast, but so far in this thread it just seems to be people speculating that the game will never be made without ever saying why they think that’s the case.

#235 5 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

It's fine to buy a license, but to barge in on someone else's meeting is extremely disrespectful and unprofessional. But hey, "that guy" has never been too concerned with being anything other than a jerk.

All the smack people are talking Gary is a bad guy boo lol I have no dought if Jack snagged a title from Gary in the same manner Pinside would have a very different reaction. There would be a party on Pinside with few condemning Jack

#236 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

I have no doubt if Jack snagged a title from Gary in the same manner ... There would be a party on Pinside with few condemning Jack.

perphas.
    but what if Jack snagged it from spooky/charlie,
    as is the case being discussed here?

#237 5 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

Well. I wouldn't say zero evidence. Both Spooky Charlie and Robert Mueller have commented on this. Of course you can refuse this as evidence, if you like

What I see there being zero evidence of is that Stern buys licenses with the intention of not making them into a game. This has been stated as fact by many but no person has named one brand that Stern licensed IP from and didn’t use.

I somewhat recall some saying Stern had the license for Jaws a couple years ago, if true that would be one license they had that wasn’t made for whatever reason. Any others?

#238 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

All the smack people are talking Gary is a bad guy boo lol I have no dought if Jack snagged a title from Gary in the same manner Pinside would have a very different reaction. There would be a party on Pinside with few condemning Jack

Stern is the only company that can manufacture enough volume and in a timely manner to work with current popular titles. They should get this license with the new movie coming out.

#239 5 years ago

After thinking about it for a day, I'm willing to concede Stern is indeed evil

But I think it's more like a JR Ewing evil than a Hitler evil.

Cunning, charming, but gets results. Keeps friends close but enemies closer. The pin geniuses you love to hate, always one step ahead of the competition!

Yep, that's Stern. Does that make the other companies CLiff Barnes? Sad sacks who always lose and never blame themselves for their failings?

Gee I hope not. I do think we can all agree DP is the drunken Sue Ellen of this bunch.

#240 5 years ago

The only reason people want to know what the licenses are is so they can whine about what themes Stern ISN'T making.

#241 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

The only reason people want to know what the licenses are is so they can whine about what themes Stern ISN'T making.

Well we need something to talk about.

#242 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Well we need something to talk about.

THere's a new Deadpool reveal we can bitch about! SHould quiet things down here for a bit.

#243 5 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

perphas.
    but what if Jack snagged it from spooky/charlie,
    as is the case being discussed here?

Wow you still don't get it if Gary steals from Spooky or Spooky steals from Jack or Jack steals from Gary it is all the same. If you don't see that then get off your high horse as wanting rules selectively enforced is BS

#244 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

#245 5 years ago

I vote EVIL!

If it's a slap at Spooky, then I guess we're doing something right. I don't judge an entire company with a ton of friends in it by the actions of 1 or a few.

Nuff' said. I got it off my chest, and time to move on. FAR more good than bad happening here!

#246 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Stern isn't "evil".
    Stern is consistently manufacturing the best games out today, and that makes them a target. Being #1 invites the most criticism and blind hate. Stern could release the most amazing game in pinball history and some people would hate on it purely because it came from Stern.
    Take a step back from the godzilla licensing story that everyone wants to turn into some kind of nefarious evil villain plan.

And you really think Stern just came up with the idea of a vinyl release and mix tape for Deadpool as part of a pinball release... in complete isolation?

#247 5 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Business is business. Stern probably saw it as an investment to keep their pin sales on top. I wouldn't consider it evil but good strategy. I've had beef with them about code but not this. That just seemed like a really wise business move.

Except for the whole Dick move by Jody not showing respect for other vendors... That's where they crossed the line.

Competition is 'just business' - disrespect is not 'just business'.

#248 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

And you really think Stern just came up with the idea of a vinyl release and mix tape for Deadpool as part of a pinball release... in complete isolation?

WHO GIVES A SHIT?

Seems like You'd WANT companies to be stealing good ideas from each other.

And Vinyl is a million times cooler than cassette. Steal and improve.

"Competition is good for pinball," remember? It's what we always hear whenever anybody besides Stern does anything.

#249 5 years ago
    Quoted from BudManPinFan:

It’s a bunch of sensational posts with zero evidence to back them made by people with axes to grind and zero understanding of how business works. I do feel bad for Charlie that he didn’t get the license since it was a dream theme for him, but he’s not the only one that’s ever lost out on a license. If Stern see’s value in a license and think they may want to produce it in the future they have every right to try and obtain it, even if another company has previously expressed interest. With the number of new companies making pinball machines, Stern has probably decided they need to be more aggressive going after desirable licenses.

You literally don't know a thing, so stop claiming others don't. Stern doesn't have the cleanest hands.

Ugh, fine...let's just get it out there. Most of Stern Pinball is fantastic. But Jody Dankberg. Yes, JODY DANKBERG OF STERN PINBALL, is a total jackass and the industry would be a better place without him. He's an egotistical jerkwad. He's the main source for the hate Stern pinball catches behind the scenes, and he was a big part of the sour attitude fans had for Stern for years.

Gary can be rough and he can let his ego get out of control as well, but Jody is the real bad apple. Sucks that he can't be rooted out. Yeah, I know you see this Jody. Hi, buddy. You're awful. You know you deserve to hear this. You know it better than most anybody. But we know too.

Edit: Google keywords to make sure when he's googling himself he sees it: jody dankberg, jody pinball, jody stern, jody dankberg pinball stern, stern pinball jody dankberg, jody dankberg jerk

#250 5 years ago

I haven't read every post and I don't have a dog in the race, only logical non-emotional thinking, so maybe someone has pointed these points out already. Obviously, I'm not privy to closed door meetings, I just have public statements to go off of. After listening to the podcast, something really strikes me as odd that a lot of people seem to be missing.

1. Toho has the final say with who they want to do business. Not Spooky, not Stern. Simply being the highest bidder is not always the reason someone acquires a license. There are too many other factors at play especially when companies are presenting value propositions of why their company would be able to maximize a license. As much as Stern swooped in and grabbed the license, Toho decided not to do business with Spooky and chose Stern's offer instead.

2. Toho has indicated they want to expand globally. This directly contradicts what Spooky talked about in their podcast as they focused on the American market discussing how poorly Toho does in America. Spooky's podcast (around 7:30) indicated that the Godzilla theme does not match up with being a major title that will sell thousands of games in their view. Spooky gave no indication that they would move to mass produce games on a global scale for this license and push into foreign territories as around 15:15 they mention there's a non-existent pinball market in Japan and that the game will be aimed at American audiences. Again, this directly contradicts what Toho has stated publicly their intentions are with this license on various products and expanding to other marketplaces. Basically Stern is going to enter an arena that's completely untapped.

Toho's goal isn't to provide their license to a business that really wants it. Toho's stated goal is to focus marketing activities towards the Tokyo Olympic Games in 2020, expand into China, and expand into a global market. This includes using new avenues to allow Godzilla to reach new demographics, they've said this repeatedly in interviews. Again, which company is in a better position to begin further expansion into the Japanese and Chinese demographics with a top tier license for that area? If you're Toho and looking at the portfolios of both companies, who do you have the most confidence in moving forward? If you're Stern, what better theme is there to introduce into these markets?

There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-stern-evil/page/5?hl=asmig and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.