Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 320 posts
  • 123 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is stern evil???”

• Yea, that wasnt cool guys. 76 votes
      40%
    • Nope, stern can do no wrong. 30 votes
      16%
    • Hear no evil, see no evil. Its pinball baby! 83 votes
      44%

(189 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dynasty01 (resized).jpg
    B8A7EE09-972F-4730-BD61-470C8B58C530 (resized).jpeg
    2fg8b9 (resized).jpg
    51P+5zOWVgL (resized).jpg
    who_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpg
    bobcat-goldthwait-one-crazy-summ1 (resized).jpg
    mash_alda_hed (resized).jpg
    Nuclear-Devil-Horns (resized).jpg
    nomoremrniceguy.jpg
    A3C780BC-DB3F-4431-93CF-8974F9D2FFB2 (resized).jpeg
    D8C726EF-0869-4A69-9E03-785AE65DEE32 (resized).jpeg
    Hear-No-Evil-See-No-Evil-Speak-No-Evil (resized).png
    addtext_com_MTA1NzUyNzI2OA.jpg
    BC18DCC0-B9CE-49C2-BA7B-55849B19A63B (resized).jpeg
    ci-captain-morgan-original-spiced-rum-d263a0fe5dd6c1b2 (resized).jpeg
    F0044868-A042-4295-8577-3253522B8FB7 (resized).png
    There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
    #151 5 years ago
    Quoted from TwoHeartedMale:

remember every time you downvote post here a pinball dies.

A thumbs down just means they disagree with you, don’t take it personally.

#152 5 years ago

personally I view pinball as more of a hobby then a business. The number of people in the hobby is much greater then the number of people in the business.

This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read here. And that's a high hurdle to clear.

#153 5 years ago

I view pinball as more of a hobby then a business

We get that. What you don't seem to get is that Stern is a business. They exist to earn money. If they don't earn money, they go out of business. They do that by manufacturing pinball machines. Many people use those machines in hobby activities. Other folks use those machines in business activities, also to earn money, by charging those who play for amusement or as a hobby. Yet others make and sell parts, accessories, and mods to collectors and hobyists. Again, as a business, to earn money. Any of those folks stop earning money, they go out of business.

Is PPS evil if they start making parts that someone else already sells? Were they evil when they enforced copyright on Retro Returbs? Was Fox evil when they shut down Kevin K on his unlicensed Predator scam? Is Stern evil if they DO make a Godzilla pinball, or only if they don't?

#154 5 years ago
    Quoted from Banker:

Stern is in business the make and sell pins. They win and they fail . It’s competition, not a silly game of round robin
    with titles and the competition. I don’t understand this thread.

Another idiotic thread!

It's life in the big city. But this is the world we live in these days. Nobody needs to shed a tear for Spooky. They can handle it.

And for DP to chime in on Spooky losing a theme to Stern and be pissed about it. What a joke!

Get over it and make another pin we all want to buy. Seriously, WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#155 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read here. And that's a high hurdle to clear.

I haven’t heard that saying before but my keyboard at work is now evenly covered in coffee nicely done good sir

#156 5 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

In January of 2018, I took a vacation in Chicago. I got a wild hair up my ass to email Stern on a Sunday and just asked if I could take a tour sometime of the week I was in town. I didn't really think there was a chance of touring on such short notice......a Chief Revenue Officer for Stern (I am purposely leaving his name out) emailed me back early Monday morning and said "When can you tour?" I was blown away that "Stern" responded so quickly. They don't know me. I did explain in my email...I had bought a few NIB machines in the past to carry some weight for a tour..... 48 hours later, my friend and I were touring Stern's factory.... The assembly line was shut down for inventory that week, but we didn't care. After the tour was over (The CRO also gave the tour) dropped us off in the area where you see Jack Danger and others play the different Stern pins on the live streams. The CRO stated he sincerely appreciated my business, gave me his business card, with his cell number on the back. He then said he was going back to his office...and play all the pinball you want...and just left us there to play as much pinball as we wanted. I couldn't believe he just left us there...unattended...what a cool experience.
    I'm calling bullshit when you say "Many of the people in charge don't even care about pinball or the people". Your hatred for Stern is embarrassing and has caused a lot of people to lose money in shoe string operation pinball manufacturers.

yes, i said they are good businessmen... That was them doing business.

This issue at hand is they have no heart and in fact let "business" for the short term (sniping a license) get int he way of business for the long term (good relations with the community as a whole).

I can completely see after that experience why you are all in for them. They stroked what you needed and you are committed to them because of it (you already were if you have bought numerous NIB) and that is cool for you. i am glad they gave you a personal tour and you got that fun experience. I hope you can see where others feel in the same way you do, just opposite due to their recent actions. They kissed your ass while others rightfuly feel kicked in the junk

#157 5 years ago
    Quoted from frunch:

Have you forgotten BM66 SLE?

At least people can sell that pin in HUGE demand. Yet there aren't any sellers

The JJP DICE is in the toilet because there is zero demand for it.

Dropped my JJP POTCCE because of it.

#158 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

This issue at hand is they have no heart and in fact let "business" for the short term (sniping a license) get int he way of business for the long term (good relations with the community as a whole).

Come on Hilton, you know better. Nobody really gives a shit in this hobby. Its mostly whatever benefits the individual/company, buyer or seller.

Make a great pin and people are gonna buy it. Period.

Stern snipes a license, tough shit, I'm buying ACNC because I love what Spooky is doing.

But its time to give up the crybaby factor here.

#159 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

They kissed your ass while others rightfuly feel kicked in the junk

"Others" who? If you mean Spooky, they are not Stern customers. They are Stern's competition. It's Stern's job to kick them in the junk.

#160 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

At least people can sell that pin in HUGE demand. Yet there aren't any sellers
    The JJP DICE is in the toilet because there is zero demand for it.
    Dropped my JJP POTCCE because of it

+1 Ice, the BM66 argument doesn’t hold weight anymore, the pin is continually out of stock and on backorder at distributors (at least over here) and the only LE & SLE’s I’ve seen for sale since Lyman knocked the code out of the park sold for more than the price of NIB.

#161 5 years ago

personally I view pinball as more of a hobby then a business

Hobby for you, business for others.

#162 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Let’s be honest, Stern getting this license will have minimal impact on the broader pinball community and their feelings towards Stern.

#163 5 years ago

Business is business. Stern probably saw it as an investment to keep their pin sales on top. I wouldn't consider it evil but good strategy. I've had beef with them about code but not this. That just seemed like a really wise business move.

#164 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Spot on 100%
    Stern cares about noone bu their bottom line. Many of the people in charge don't even care about pinball or the people.

Spot off 200%

#166 5 years ago

i had a lot of time to think about what i've done in my time out. i just want to say sorry for acting a little "stern" lol (had to get that bad joke out of the way). but for real, i'm sorry too those that i may have offended with my passion and my broad statements but mostly my stupidity . i did not mean to attack a whole group based on a few actions of a few people. thats not fair and i'm sorry that it came out that way. I really do love stern deep down, and that with my love for spooky/any smart start up, left me feeling confused and hurt. kinda like when mom and dad fight, no one likes that..... what i guess i hoped to get out of this thread was someone to talk me off the edge of jumping off stern(and some great memes)... not to bash, or get bashed. also just want to say thanks to everyone who helped me pop my noob cheery, i learned alot today.

#167 5 years ago

This isn't the first time Stern has pulled some shady nonsense.
    When JJP was first starting up Stern tried to ham string JJP by telling suppliers not to do business with them.

Yeah, that's business, but it's still chicken shit punk ass clown shit. If your product is better, people will buy it.

#168 5 years ago

Stern tried to kill me once.

#169 5 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Stern tried to kill me once.

With an Elvis pin?

#170 5 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

"Others" who? If you mean Spooky, they are not Stern customers. They are Stern's competition. It's Stern's job to kick them in the junk.

Others = stern customers

You are fooling yourself if you don't think $5000+ Toys are emotional purchases. Stern has been slowly pissing people off weather it is bad product, poor qc, missing code, lies about code every two weeks, 'just business', etc...

Seems like more and more decisions of where to spend money are out there and the things like this all add up.

Quoted from iceman44:

ome on Hilton, you know better. Nobody really gives a shit in this hobby. Its mostly whatever benefits the individual/company, buyer or seller.

I don't experience that IRL at all. I see both companies and individuals that regularly do nice things for others despite not making the nost money or benefit for them. I have bought and sold multiple deals in the past year. Could have sold for more. Could have been charged more.

I also saw with Spooky that they. Could have easily upped the price on TNA, but they worked hard to keep BOM down and the price of the games down. Pretty sure it is the least profitable game they have meade to date, but they actually care about the community and wanted to not strip back the game in any way just for business reasons. Sometimes it is OK to show your heart IMO. Feels good to.

#171 5 years ago

Stern turned me into a newt!

#172 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

With an Elvis pin?

Stick jager kicked my dog

#173 5 years ago

Gary Stern drained my entire bank account! He's the Devil I tell ya!

#174 5 years ago

Mr. stern took my sister to prom, think he screwed her too!

#175 5 years ago

Stern isn't evil. They aren't trying to be evil, but they house some huge egos in that company. They can be mean, petty, vindictive, and ruthless, but it's all just sprouting from bloated egos, not a desire to just outright do harm. And it's not all of them, not even most of them, but a few of them with influence that really make some calls that can make dealing with them awful. Here are a few things they do that can piss people off and get threads like this going. None of this is rumor, it's all substantiated, so before blindly defending any of it, know that it's all real.

They aggressively buy up licenses purely to deny others the chance to use them. Call it good business or whatever, but it's obviously going to rub some people the wrong way, but it's fully in their rights to do it. Most companies that could afford to hold a license portfolio would probably do the same.

They fine distributors and partners for being critical of Stern. If a distributor is upset by anything, and they say, "man, working with Stern can be hard sometimes" online, they can draw a fine for that, especially if Gary is aware of it.

They threaten people. This is probably the closest thing they do to what someone can call evil, I guess. But they'll reach out and make direct threats to you or to those connected to you. It's some serious poor man's mafia garbage, but they do it. Make some comments they don't like, and it won't be too long before Jared is sent to reach out to you to let you know you're in danger of being blacklisted by the company. They'll say that they want to review your content before publishing, just to make sure it's cool with them. They might even call an employer and ask that you be fired. Oh wait, they did do that. Not sure if they still do, but they have.

They strong arm part suppliers to pressure them not to do business with other pinball companies. They'll threaten to pull orders if the supplier is caught dealing with another company. Again, this is within their rights. Lots of companies ask for or demand exclusivity, especially in manufacturing. Like chasing licenses, it's going to irritate other industry members, but that's not really of any concern of the common pinball player.

On the other hand, they're getting better. Putting Zach Sharpe over marketing and pushing Jody off stream has helped their image. Zach is cool, has a good sense of humor, and doesn't fly off the handle and start making threats on live streams to fight people. That's been a great move towards being a more thoughtful company in many ways.

While Stern continually pushes the envelope on cost cutting in materials and QC, they do try hard to make things right when stuff goes wrong. When they need to help a customer who has a warranty claim, they do genuinely worry about making them happy.

Stern has also increased their support of events, charities, and the pinball community as a whole. Just look at prizes over the past couple of years from major events and it's common to see that Stern supported the event. Their partnering with Marco and other large distributors to get A TON of games to shows has been a real help to event attendees who don't want to wait 45 minutes to play the latest release.

You can weigh out the pros and cons of Stern being the top dog in the pinball world. But however you weigh it out, calling them evil is definitely way too far. Jokes aside, Stern is getting better in some ways, but there are always going to be rough edges when the egos come into play.

#176 5 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Stern isn't evil. They aren't trying to be evil, but they house some huge egos in that company. They can be mean, petty, vindictive, and ruthless, but it's all just sprouting from bloated egos, not a desire to just outright do harm. And it's not all of them, not even most of them, but a few of them with influence that really make some calls that can make dealing with them awful. Here are a few things they do that can piss people off and get threads like this going. None of this is rumor, it's all substantiated, so before blindly defending any of it, know that it's all real.
    They aggressively buy up licenses purely to deny others the chance to use them. Call it good business or whatever, but it's obviously going to rub some people the wrong way, but it's fully in their rights to do it. Most companies that could afford to hold a license portfolio would probably do the same.
    They fine distributors and partners for being critical of Stern. If a distributor is upset by anything, and they say, "man, working with Stern can be hard sometimes" online, they can draw a fine for that, especially if Gary is aware of it.
    They threaten people. This is probably the closest thing they do to what someone can call evil, I guess. But they'll reach out and make direct threats to you or to those connected to you. It's some serious poor man's mafia garbage, but they do it. Make some comments they don't like, and it won't be too long before Jared is sent to reach out to you to let you know you're in danger of being blacklisted by the company. They'll say that they want to review your content before publishing, just to make sure it's cool with them. They might even call an employer and ask that you be fired. Oh wait, they did do that. Not sure if they still do, but they have.
    They strong arm part suppliers to pressure them not to do business with other pinball companies. They'll threaten to pull orders if the supplier is caught dealing with another company. Again, this is within their rights. Lots of companies ask for or demand exclusivity, especially in manufacturing. Like chasing licenses, it's going to irritate other industry members, but that's not really of any concern of the common pinball player.
    On the other hand, they're getting better. Putting Zach Sharpe over marketing and pushing Jody off stream has helped their image. Zach is cool, has a good sense of humor, and doesn't fly off the handle and start making threats on live streams to fight people. That's been a great move towards being a more thoughtful company in many ways.
    While Stern continually pushes the envelope on cost cutting in materials and QC, they do try hard to make things right when stuff goes wrong. When they need to help a customer who has a warranty claim, they do genuinely worry about making them happy.
    Stern has also increased their support of events, charities, and the pinball community as a whole. Just look at prizes over the past couple of years from major events and it's common to see that Stern supported the event. Their partnering with Marco and other large distributors to get A TON of games to shows has been a real help to event attendees who don't want to wait 45 minutes to play the latest release.
    You can weigh out the pros and cons of Stern being the top dog in the pinball world. But however you weigh it out, calling them evil is definitely way too far. Jokes aside, Stern is getting better in some ways, but there are always going to be rough edges when the egos come into play.

Wow, you win. best post. just what i needed.

#177 5 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

They strong arm part suppliers to pressure them not to do business with other pinball companies. They'll threaten to pull orders if the supplier is caught dealing with another company. Again, this is within their rights. Lots of companies ask for or demand exclusivity, especially in manufacturing.

It's not always within a company's rights to do this. It can be an intentional interference with a contract type of situation if the threat was made after the other supply agreement was entered into and it can be an unfair business practice in some circumstances (I'm not saying either is applicable here, just saying threats to pull orders can have some limitations depending on the circumstances).

Quoted from jar155:

Gosh yes, Zach has done a great job and I feel Stern is trying to improve their communication with and general responsiveness to the community.

Quoted from jar155:

Is there any proof Stern has actually done this? I can't recall a confirmed license they had but didn't eventually run within a few years of acquiring it. Stern is not a big company (it is pinball big...), I just don't see them paying out a bunch of money to not make something...perhaps I'm out of touch. Frankly, it is the fault of the IP holder if their agreement didn't require performance or contain a strong enough penalty to "encourage" performance out of Stern...surely no one grants Stern a back-end fee plan for the license...

#178 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

They stroked what you needed and you are committed to them because of it ...They kissed your ass while others rightfully feel kicked in the junk.

almost as bad as andrew delivering you of one of the first alien prototypes and then ...

#179 5 years ago

I think Gottlieb are evil for not allowing rom and manual downloads on IPDB

#180 5 years ago
    Quoted from the4horse:

I think Gottlieb are evil for not allowing rom and manual downloads on IPDB

Good point. This sort of “evil” behavior has been going on since the birth of pinball. It’s not exclusive to Stern.

#181 5 years ago

Well, Bally/Williams has a couple of games without a licensed theme that are still one of the best ever after 20 years...

Sure a licenced theme is nice, but be honest, MB for example, could just be themed like BBB, aliens playing instruments in a spacebar, and still be epic...

Whereas Stern has shit games with uber licenses...

Boutiquegames should just focus on innovation, quality and gameplay, instead of dumping cash and time into a license.

And for spooky, sure godzilla, blablabla...
    Want big monsters? Get a nice starting cartoon/comic drawer, say "I need big monsters in a city" and give him carte blanche for the artwork...

Oooh, and if you want to rape Stern, give us nice gameplay pins for 4-5k, instead of that 10k pin from the highway leaving guys.

#182 5 years ago

I am in the "what a dick move" camp.

Mainly because this has a thick scent deliberate bullying of Spooky. And taking advantage of Charlies friendly and open hearted way of it all. This is not nice. And it is only fair for Stern to feel the heat and to be confronted with questions on this.

It is not like Spooky have gone public about dozens and dozens of stuff they like to license. It is this one thing, that is very dear to their hearts. This one.

Neither classic Godzilla or the Hollywood movie comming seem to be a top license to have. It was not that obvious. Yeah, it might be a hit movie. But it might also tank. Or tank in some parts of the world where Stern like to sell games.

From what I understand, Charlies approach was to make a game based on classic Godzilla. Which would be a niche game with highly detailed theme integration. A passionate one for themselves. And which may find a fellowship of fans and buyers.

I assume Sterns approach is the new movie only. And having that, it is only logical to secure everything "Godzilla". So you will not see a competitive game of same name/theme. And if so, yes, they have in a sense taken a license off the market that they will never use. The classic Godzilla. Either way it goes.

Now to the gossip. Who from Stern was attending that licensing convention? Or is it safe to assume, that all this was Gary Stern all the way. I feel bad for all the great Stern people who now have to stand loyal and answer to this. But, Stern asked for it.

#183 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

care about the community and wanted to not strip back the game in any way just for business reasons.

How could you strip back a TNA? Take out the lock? the one interesting thing the game has.

#184 5 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

Now to the gossip. Who from Stern was attending that licensing convention? ...

Quoted from jar155:

Putting Zach Sharpe over marketing and pushing Jody off-stream has helped their image.

I was going to let you figure it out by just quoting the above. Gary was at licensing convention, but I think Charlie hinted that it was the off-stream guy mentioned above - who is still in charge of licensing - that walked in on the meeting.

In essence, this topic is about ethics. It's not the first time "Stern" have pulled a move like this. Remember what happened after Jpop showed his KISS mockup at MGC? "Stern" saw the interested that was getting and they quickly picked up the license. Now you can argue about whether it was Stern, or whether it was the now off-stream guy in charge of licensing working for Stern. You can also wonder: did that result in a great game? If I recall it correctly it's one of the very few recent Sterns that hardly went back on the line.

There is another side to the story as well. Ever since JJP came to the party the licensing game in pinball changed. Prior to that Stern could get away with paying a ridiculous low licensing fee per game made. The number was so low you can wonder why companies even bothered as it brought in that little. When JJP stepped in licensing companies all of a sudden had a choice. Where Pinside is speculating on what the next game for company X will be, the people in the licensing offices can tell you a few years upfront. They all know because they all talk to each other and they all try to raise the price. After all, they are paid to get the best deal for the licensor. Whenever JJP (or Spooky, or any other company) is going after a license, Stern will be getting an email or phone call telling them what license another company is after and whether they are interested in it. Same thing the other way around. So all the pinball companies dealing with licenses know who is after which license. What happens then is what you see on Storage Wars / Storage Hunters all the time: sometimes the price goes up because one party is willing to pay that. Sometimes the price goes up because another party wants to make the other party pay more. Sometimes one party acts like a dick and you disapprove, sometimes they play it more smooth and you approve, and sometimes they get stuck with something they didn't really want.

As far as this license goes: Charlie said his thing. I think he worded it very nicely. Whether the off-stream guy pulled a certain move, I'll leave that in the middle. Did ToHo reach out to Stern? Who knows? I think it was nice of Charlie to offer consultancy on the game if Stern decides to actually build it. If Stern would take them up on that, that could be interesting. Stern has arguably the best manufacturing facility, but they sometimes lack the right angle in terms of theme integration. Spooky's angle on theme integration might just be what Stern needs when it comes to this license...

#185 5 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

I think it was nice of Charlie to offer consultancy on the game if Stern decides to actually build it. If Stern would take them up on that, that could be interesting. Stern has arguably the best manufacturing facility, but they sometimes lack the right angle in terms of theme integration. Spooky's angle on theme integration might just be what Stern needs when it comes to this license...

Charlie offering to consult blew my mind, the guy is a class act through and through and that’s possibly the classiest move pinball has seen in years and as you say above whether Stern take him up on that offer or not is certainly going to be interesting to watch.

#186 5 years ago

Personally, I would like to see more original themes.

#187 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gunske:

Well, Bally/Williams has a couple of games without a licensed theme that are still one of the best ever after 20 years...
    Sure a licenced theme is nice, but be honest, MB for example, could just be themed like BBB, aliens playing instruments in a spacebar, and still be epic...
    Whereas Stern has shit games with uber licenses...
    Boutiquegames should just focus on innovation, quality and gameplay, instead of dumping cash and time into a license.
    And for spooky, sure godzilla, blablabla...
    Want big monsters? Get a nice starting cartoon/comic drawer, say "I need big monsters in a city" and give him carte blanche for the artwork...
    Oooh, and if you want to rape Stern, give us nice gameplay pins for 4-5k, instead of that 10k pin from the highway leaving guys.

I couldn’t agree more!
    I can think of some pretty cool ideas that have never been tried for themes.

#188 5 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

There is another side to the story as well. Ever since JJP came to the party the licensing game in pinball changed. Prior to that Stern could get away with paying a ridiculous low licensing fee per game made. The number was so low you can wonder why companies even bothered as it brought in that little. When JJP stepped in licensing companies all of a sudden had a choice. Where Pinside is speculating on what the next game for company X will be, the people in the licensing offices can tell you a few years upfront. They all know because they all talk to each other and they all try to raise the price. After all, they are paid to get the best deal for the licensor. Whenever JJP (or Spooky, or any other company) is going after a license, Stern will be getting an email or phone call telling them what license another company is after and whether they are interested in it. Same thing the other way around. So all the pinball companies dealing with licenses know who is after which license. What happens then is what you see on Storage Wars / Storage Hunters all the time: sometimes the price goes up because one party is willing to pay that. Sometimes the price goes up because another party wants to make the other party pay more. Sometimes one party acts like a dick and you disapprove, sometimes they play it more smooth and you approve, and sometimes they get stuck with something they didn't really want.

That is partially the attorneys fault for the various pinball manufacturers then. The first thing you do when trying to secure a license is go for some sort of exclusive negotiation period or no shop clause on whatever your package proposal is so you don't end up in a bidding war right out the gate. The slot manufacturers do this all the time...with great success...perhaps it is a leverage/money issue though.

#189 5 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

+1 Ice, the BM66 argument doesn’t hold weight anymore, the pin is continually out of stock and on backorder at distributors (at least over here) and the only LE & SLE’s I’ve seen for sale since Lyman knocked the code out of the park sold for more than the price of NIB.

The reason the game is on backorder is there is not enough demand to bother building them

#190 5 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Great post! From my perspective, this ^^^ is what effects me the most as a customer. Fortunately, Pat & Chas in Stern support are responsive/supportive. Without them at the helm of support, I'd be much more cautious about buying new games. Stern's games just aren't as reliable as the use to be (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-lights-out-updating-node-board#post-4510198).

snaroff

#191 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

This isn't the first time Stern has pulled some shady nonsense.
    When JJP was first starting up Stern tried to ham string JJP by telling suppliers not to do business with them.
    Yeah, that's business, but it's still chicken shit punk ass clown shit. If your product is better, people will buy it.

When JJP started up Jack was flapping his gums trashing Gary whenever he got the chance don't act like JJP is just a victim

#192 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Stern has been slowly pissing people

No you are thinking about Pinside. Pinside is to pinball like Fox is to news you find if you spend to much time on either one you wind up in a pissy mood

#193 5 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

When JJP stepped in licensing companies all of a sudden had a choice.

You must be kidding Woz JJP had from a non pinball game from his old company that means JJP has paid for 2 licences in 7 yrs boy that shakes things up

#194 5 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

But they'll reach out and make direct threats to you or to those connected to you. It's some serious poor man's mafia garbage, but they do it. Make some comments they don't like, and it won't be too long before Jared is sent to reach out to you to let you know you're in danger of being blacklisted by the company. They'll say that they want to review your content before publishing, just to make sure it's cool with them. They might even call an employer and ask that you be fired. Oh wait, they did do that. Not sure if they still do, but they have.

Jared as "the enforcer", more like the "enfarcer". That's some funny stuff.

#195 5 years ago

TWO questions here:

1. Is Stern making Godzilla? If so, thats cool...

2. If they are not making Godzilla, why did they buy the rights???

Very simple questions...

#196 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

When JJP started up Jack was flapping his gums trashing Gary whenever he got the chance don't act like JJP is just a victim

I never said JJP was a victim. I said Stern tried to pull some shady shit.
    And they did.
    It should also be noted that Jack was one of sterns biggest distributors for some time. So, jack talking smack about Gary Stern was to be expected.

#197 5 years ago

"Sometimes it is OK to show your heart IMO. Feels good to."

It's ALWAYS good to show your heart, be humble and kind, and show respect. I'm 100% down with that Hilton.

We all get passionate about the hobby we love and the small community we are in.

Stern getting a license that Charlie wanted has nothing to really do with the above.

#198 5 years ago

My theory is that Stern paid up for the Universal Godzilla license that corresponds with the new movies..... then heard Charlie was going after Godzilla TOHO and decided they didn't want another competing Godzilla pin out there, so they bought both. Maybe?

#199 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

TWO questions here:
    1. Is Stern making Godzilla? If so, thats cool...
    2. If they are not making Godzilla, why did they buy the rights???
    Very simple questions...

Stern has no comment at this time.....

#200 5 years ago
    Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

My theory is that Stern paid up for the Universal Godzilla license that corresponds with the new movies..... then heard Charlie was going after Godzilla TOHO and decided they didn't want another competing Godzilla pin out there, so they bought both. Maybe?

Seems pretty plausible if we assume Stern’s just trying to do business here. But it doesn’t fit with the “evil empire” storyline so you may not win anyone over with it.

There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-stern-evil/page/4?hl=atrain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.