(Topic ID: 258101)

Is Stern Effectively Targeting the Home Market?

By Pinballer67

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by 7oxford
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

always bet on stern (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigerlaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

You can't crush the HUO pinball market any more than Stern is right now. Record sales, great themes, some great pins.
    What more do you want?
    In fact they crush the entire pinball industry.

Agreed. Stern is the dominate leader in the pinball space, pumping out games in numbers not hitherto seen this century. Stern’s innovation in code specially has been great and I’m glad to see they recognize the value in acquiring all the assets of Stranger Things they acquired.

I know I’ll be ordering a Stranger Things for sure.

All that said, I’m glad to see there are other companies out there I can also send my business to. Variety is the spice of life.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

With the rising cost of new machines, the lack of space in homes, and the decline in resale value for most machines, I think the home market will start to level out. I know a few guys that use to own pins and have sold them because they can go play local pinball and play the newest titles. Not everyone shares that mentality but I understand it.

Gosh, this is all so true.

My game room is simply full at the moment, in fact, I have a total of eight games at my office since I have zero space in my house. I’m at the point where I can’t buy anything without selling something, and I don’t want to sell anything because I: (a) really like my collection and still play everything in it, and (b) don’t like losing my butt on machines. If I take too big of a loss, I get criticism from the Mrs, who is also into pinball but like everyone doesn’t like losing money.

For the current home use market to continue to thrive, there has to be a healthy used machine market. For there to be a healthy used machine market there has to be a constant influx of new players and collectors.

Competitive pinball has brought in new players and turned some of those new players into collectors. Stern brings in some new players with the release of each major theme, so far we’ve never seen mass pin acquisition from non-pinhead fans of specific themes, but each major release of new IP must drive a few new collectors here and there. We heard that masses of KISS and Star Wars fans would buy masses of machines and I don’t think that ever materialized, but surely a few new collectors sprung from each release.

Stern (and everyone else for that matter) pushing up prices on new machines has in some ways set expectations on the value of older machines. WOZ machines have appreciated (or at least appear to have appreciated) since the yellow one came around. Regardless, there needs to be new buyers.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigerlaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-stern-effectively-targeting-the-home-market?tu=tigerlaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.