(Topic ID: 258101)

Is Stern Effectively Targeting the Home Market?

By Pinballer67

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by 7oxford
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

always bet on stern (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kermit24.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 4 years ago

I think your basic premise is incorrect. They are trying some cool stuff. Animatronic ball eating, throwing T-Rex. Projector that projects images on the playfield. No other manufacturer is delivering games below $6,000. Lower prices means they are more accessible, not just for operators, but also home buyers.

Regarding code - I don't think you have been following the new releases. Most of these games have had a LOT of updates in rapid succession and have been basically complete within 60-90 days of launch. The 2 year Batman wait was terrible I agree and hurt the sales big time.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer67:

Maybe I'm the odd man out here. And I never said Stern wasn't killing it, they obviously are. I want a bit more from them, I think they can be more creative and take more risks with layout specifically.
    To clarify: I own 3 Sterns and love them (TRON/BM 66/GoT LE).
    Some of the other Stern layouts from recent history feel a bit samey to me.
    Sure, Iron Maiden and Jurassic Park are great games. Remove Keith Elwin from their stable of designers and personally I'm a bit less interested in what they have to offer, the past couple years. Whether or not my observations that this may translate into loss of home market share is certainly debateable and - from the above support of Stern - it seems that they are nailing it and we should be happy with their offerings.

I think there is no debate that Keith Elwin was a game changing hire for Stern. Some of the old school guys (Gomez with DP) have also had some super fun games. I do agree that some of the designs / mechs are not as fun or inspired. Not really a fan of Borg's last two games. Look at how the Herman mech moves on the Munsters. Borg has been recycling layouts for a while now.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kermit24.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-stern-effectively-targeting-the-home-market?tu=kermit24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.