Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 632 posts
  • 137 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Lamberger
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    who_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpg
    3a5861c95871f4063a7f57a2ed97988a (resized).jpg
    7F40F8D9-EC7B-4A2F-A080-A2CD33B30BA7.jpeg
    1baish (resized).jpg
    Sternlist.png
    f25823345ceba8a48be4ea8808379243ccc40817 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    34F84C3D-C593-4F4E-B959-8568BE709D4B.gif
    blocked (resized).png
    ohhh-god-please-kill-them-all_o_4837453 (resized).jpg
    thread-derailed (resized).jpg
    4292979A-4F4E-42C1-9E7E-FE5AB2B66C91 (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpeg
    6FC6BA3F-3A40-4940-B1CF-14F3FCE7E83A (resized).png
    D228CF42-B3CB-4464-A009-2B3912615AE9 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#273 3 years ago
    Quoted from majicman110:

Kaneda said he believes Stern contacted his employer.

That's what he said on his pinball podcast. Then on the NEO GEO board he blamed it on them.

Who you going to believe, Kaneda or Kaneda?

#291 3 years ago
    Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

It’s not really about Stern. It’s about Cary going to a location. Making a video about a game that that location just purchased. Using that video to absolutely trash that game. Asking to come back and do another video and the location saying. Sorry. You’re bad for business. Then Cary Hardy taking from that experience “Is Stern and Pinside black listing me?!?!??” And making two videos about it. Don’t you think this all seems a little silly?

Serious question -- how would Pinside go about blacklisting YouTube videos? Are they refusing his advertising dollars or something?

#298 3 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

They can't blacklist him on You Tube they are just trying to make it hard for him to create content. It's just one more lesson Stern needs to learn that pretty much every other business figured out long ago. You have to support content creators and the more you work with them the better it is for your business.

The implication was that Pinside was somehow involved, which I found ... confusing.

[EDIT: to clarify I hadn't watched any of Cary's videos when I posted this, I was referring to another post above that said Cary was claiming Pinside had stopped promoting his videos -- having now seen the two videos it's a little hard to believe Cary could have been talking about Pinside since that's not really how this site works]

#316 3 years ago
    Quoted from majicman110:

Just want to say again that I'm not anti Stern. I didn't start this thread to be an anti stern thread.

Don't think I was suggesting you were. Just that you should take things Kaneda says with a massive grain of salt, he's got a track record of blowing smoke.

Don't know anything about Cary, I found it hard to make it through the two videos referenced in this thread given the rambling and throat clearing before he gets to his point, but maybe he does better when he's actually talking pinball vs. "pinball industry controversy" or whatever. Regardless, I haven't seen anything in this thread to suggest he's lying about being disinvited from streaming TMNT at the mystery location. This one still seems potentially newsworthy.

#334 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

This should mean that locations want honest reviews and not just favorable reviews.
    This should mean that location owners should care for reviewers with different views and aspects presented, in order to make up their mind.
    Nobody concerned making a 7k investment if the only reviewer available is yelling Buy, Buy, Buy, whatever the game is?
    I Do like to say ilove the sdtm reviews. They are great.
    As a private customer i Do like some good vs bad feedback aswell.

Why would a location care about how people decide to buy a game for home use? The location wants people to come spend money at their location (playing games and/or buying food and drink).

#387 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ve been touting gottlieb premier for over a year now and nobody has approached me yet to be the official content provider for them. Horse shit.

Have you made a YouTube video yet? That’ll put the fear of god into Gottlieb.

#466 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Stern ain't getting my money.

Couldn't you just buy HUO Sterns and avoid giving Stern money that way? Plus, if you wait a year or so you'd know how the code was going to settle out and be able to spot any issues with the playfield clear on the game you were purchasing.

#470 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Looks good on paper, but then the person you are buying the game from just turns around and buys another NIB game.
    I tell you, it's a vicious circle that just has to stop!

Aha, so what's called for is a total boycott then, do no business and provide no funds to anyone that's bought a NIB Stern in the past three years!

#473 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Just wonder when was the last time he gave a dime to them.

Are you suggesting that Levi's secretly in on the great Stern boycott?!?

#515 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lamberger:

I was blacklisted as well, just because I criticized the quality of the playfields.

By “blacklisted” do you mean you had comments deleted from Stern’s Facebook page? Or were you also denied access to do streaming video at a location?

#545 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lamberger:

My bills are still paid, and I have total freedom to buy whatever my heart desires... And stern still doesn't get a single dollar from me;D All they have do is use a well known clear coat product, 3 coats maybe. I'm sure everyone here would pay the extra dow for it. I have friends that buy the stern games they really like...(AC DC..Metallica) pull the playfield, recoat it and add extra glue on the inserts because they plan to keep it forever. Stupid amount of work but cheaper than buying a new playfield 2 years later and doing the same thing.

Your dime, your call of course. But I doubt most other operators would agree that they'd happily pay more for Stern Pros with extra clear. Stern's got 80%+ of the market by underselling everyone (I guess they were there first of all the current mfrs, so maybe the others are "overselling" them), not sure whey they'd mess with that.

#553 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lamberger:

the playfield is the heart of the attraction to play and resale value. If it looks like crap, the resale value plunges like a rock... And no one wants to pay to play it

So then why do Stern Pros retain a higher % of value than any other new pins?

#556 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lamberger:

That's news to me, didn't know there was a data website on the numbers?

Take a look at the Pinside FS section to get a sense of how the pricing works. You’ll see that people take a bigger haircut on JJP, American, Spooky, and Stern LE games than they do on Stern Pros. You don’t have to agree with it, but that’s how the HUO market works. There’s big demand for newer games in the $5k range, and that’s where Stern shines.

Quoted from Lamberger:

Yepp, still running the old games... Why buy something that's gonna drop like a rock in value over 2 years.

So buy used is your point? Good advice in general, and applies equally to Stern games. Why take the NIB hit if you don’t have to? But your theory that playfield quality specifically has destroyed the secondary market for Stern games is not born out by the reality of what 2-5 year old Sterns continue to sell for.

#601 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lamberger:

Hey, glad to hear you did well on your 1 stern game... But what would impress me is if you can do that with 50 sterns. Route 50 -150 and see how well you do on trades and resale.

So your argument now is that routing Stern Pros makes bad business sense? This thread gets crazier and crazier.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-stern-blacklisting-people?tu=fosaisu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.