Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 632 posts
  • 137 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Lamberger
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    who_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpg
    3a5861c95871f4063a7f57a2ed97988a (resized).jpg
    7F40F8D9-EC7B-4A2F-A080-A2CD33B30BA7.jpeg
    1baish (resized).jpg
    Sternlist.png
    f25823345ceba8a48be4ea8808379243ccc40817 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    34F84C3D-C593-4F4E-B959-8568BE709D4B.gif
    blocked (resized).png
    ohhh-god-please-kill-them-all_o_4837453 (resized).jpg
    thread-derailed (resized).jpg
    4292979A-4F4E-42C1-9E7E-FE5AB2B66C91 (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpeg
    6FC6BA3F-3A40-4940-B1CF-14F3FCE7E83A (resized).png
    D228CF42-B3CB-4464-A009-2B3912615AE9 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Darscot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#132 3 years ago

This is some serious bullshit and this is the time all the content creators should be calling this out. Cary is by far my favorite so it's real easy for me to simply not watch anyone that doesn't voice some support. Zach pulled a video the other day and had to make edits. These guys really should not be doing this for anything in the public domain.

#179 3 years ago

Stern is responsible for their marketing and product launch. Trying to stop the internet once it is out there is fucking laughable. They want to try and sail a boat full of holes you blame the captain when it sinks not the water.

#184 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Okay, but you're responsible for what you post on Facebook too.
    Why is it fine to say that Stern should just live with the real world consequences of their own actions, but the podcasters shouldn't have to? They knew they were posting leaked stuff to build clout, they're not innocent bystanders.
    Complaining that people are getting copyright strikes by posting leaked copyrighted images seems just as laughable. Be adults and recognize actions have consequences.
    I'd be pissed if someone leaked my launch stuff too, I can't make Stern out to be the bad guys for taking shots over it. Should they revise their media release stuff to catch the people instead of just letting everyone download off the same server so it's impossible to track? Sure, probably. But to use the boat analogy if they're taking on water they might as well patch over the biggest holes.

Black listing content creators for your product is not helping your marketing. It is completely the wrong way to go, what they should be doing is including guys like Cary and making sure he has high quality content ready to drop the moment Sterns announcement is complete. What approach do you think is more apt to build positive buzz? Stern has shown time and again they are simple in the dark ages. The whole all stick no carrot thing is laughably stupid. Stern has no one to blame but themselves if their shit gets out there.

#188 3 years ago
    Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

It’s not rocket science. If I as an operator invest 6-10k in a game I don’t want some douche bag recording and making fun of that game. I need that game to earn money. Doesn’t matter if you think you’re gods gift to pinball. I don’t want your opinion hurting my investment.

For an idiot you sure think the can can reach and influence a lot of people. Maybe you should make better investments if you think the opinion of one person is all it will take to ruin it. It is pretty hilarious that you feel it's completely ok to voice your opinion calling him an idiot, a douche bad and mocking this opinion of himself but it's off side for him to comment on a machine.

#192 3 years ago
    Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

It’s a niche hobby. Of course his shit talking negatively effects it.

What's next close all social media and ban every poster that ever speaks a bad word against pinball because they are all douche bags and idiots, ruining the hobby and your investment. It's ok for you to talk shit, just no one else? There is not an eye roll big enough for this nonsense.

#287 3 years ago

Man the Stern hardcore protect the hive with the best of them. You guys really need to calm the rage and stand down the defense force. Cary gave Stern the biggest endorsement he could give and slapped his money down and went NIB. This place still loses their minds over the most benign things when it comes to Stern.

#293 3 years ago
    Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

It’s not really about Stern. It’s about Cary going to a location. Making a video about a game that that location just purchased. Using that video to absolutely trash that game. Asking to come back and do another video and the location saying. Sorry. You’re bad for business. Then Cary Hardy taking from that experience “Is Stern and Pinside black listing me?!?!??” And making two videos about it. Don’t you think this all seems a little silly?

The bias is strong in this one. Your lack of understanding of how content creation works and its place in marketing makes it impossible to have any kind of discussion. There is a reason You Tube is what it is, there is a reason content creators make millions of dollars. Its really really good for business. If they had endorsed and supported Cary he would have posted a video how awesome TMNT was and we would all be discussing how Stern has converted him to his first NIB. It's amazing that you can not see how stupid this was of Stern.

#296 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Serious question -- how would Pinside go about blacklisting YouTube videos? Are they refusing his advertising dollars or something?

They can't blacklist him on You Tube they are just trying to make it hard for him to create content. It's just one more lesson Stern needs to learn that pretty much every other business figured out long ago. You have to support content creators and the more you work with them the better it is for your business.

#303 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

The implication was that Pinside was someone involved, which I found ... confusing.

I never heard him mention Pinside, I don't remember it word for word but I thought he intentionally did not mention the place or any website by name. For exact purpose of getting more information before he voiced his opinion.

#305 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

So you're telling us that "content creators" are actually shills? Endorse me and get good reviews, blacklist me and FEEL THE WRATH OF MY NEGATIVE VIDEOS?!?
    Here's a tip: the real "content creators" are hard at work at Stern, JJP, American and Spooky, drawing, designing and building very fun games. Talking heads on youtube are NOT "content creators." At best, they are accessories. At worst, they're narcissist shitstirrers.

Oh I didn't realize we were still in the 1980s. The internet exist and companies have to get on board. Your going to argue about what "content creator" means on you tube. Again its impossible to have discussions when you have no understanding of what modern content creators and influencers are.

#306 3 years ago
    Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

There is no evidence that Stern did anything to Cary. Just his self important paranoid theory. Which he included pinside in until the owner told him wasn’t true to which he had to make another video to walk back that implication. He’s just self aggrandizing and it’s certainly working.

There is no evidence they are trying to support him and improve their marketing and influence. Either way they are making very poor decisions.

#317 3 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

I don't know anything about him, never heard of him before this thread. So I ask, what makes him entitled to their support? I understand supporting content creators and it seems like Stern does that some that, maybe not enough. But there is certainly no decree that they need to support all the content creators. Based on what people are saying in this thread it sounds like he may be pot-stirrer and may be giving negative options without all the facts. It has been mentioned that he has made more that one video correcting, apologizing for, are completely reversing things he said in a previous video. Why would Stern want to support that?

By support all Stern should do, is do themselves a favour. Cary is going to post and have his say. If they were smart they would reach out provide him high resolution marketing material in return ask him not to post until this time on this day. Then he wouldn't be trying to make content on shitty leaked photos. You can't stop the internet. This is how you stop leaks of shit that make you look bad.

#324 3 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

If I decided to start a channel and review games, should Stern and JJP and others include me in sending out their marketing material? What if everyone in this thread decided to start a channel, should we all be included? What puts him on the list of people that Stern should be catering too?

They put him on the list by trying to stop him. Clearly he has influence and is on the rise. Stern should be reaching out to everyone they can. The whole point is to get your marketing out there. This is all information they want to make public, this is not trade secrets.

#331 3 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

So you argument is that Stern should say to themselves: "Hey, this guy is bad for our business. He is leaking our content, creating videos about it, and spreading incomplete and/or false information. We should promote this guys channel and help him out."

You can't truly be this dense, Cary wanted to make a video of his excitement and first play of TMNT. Someone decided to stop him from doing that. So instead of him posting how much he loved it, dropping his money down and influencing others to buy one, we got this thread. Is it that hard to see that maybe it would have been better to invite the guy in show your machine in the best light. Explain the decisions you made on your product. What Stern has yet to figure out is Cary is a hardcore pinball fan, and little effort would go a long way.

#337 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Why would a location care about how people decide to buy a game for home use? The location wants people to come spend money at their location (playing games and/or buying food and drink).

I wish I could watch video of the cool places with new machines recommended by the people I follow on youtube, oh wait they wouldn't let him create content. I'm a long way from Texas but you get the point.

#340 3 years ago

I should know better, it just pointless trying to discuss things like this. You guys have your opinion and all the power too you. Unfortunately just because you don't understand how modern marketing works when it comes to content creation and influence doesn't mean it doesn't work. I watch Cary because his restores are world class. I respect him for the effort and detail he puts into his content. Content creation is a skill, you don't have to be good at pinball to make great content for pinball consumers. His content may not be for you but clearly people feel he has influence.

#344 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Well maybe he should stick to that type of content making, at least he wouldn't be making enemies that ways. What interesting about looking at his channel and his views per video is that his restoration content has the lowest views per video than any of this other content.

The fact the he is provoking is what makes it good content. He is not Kaneda that guy was garbage and would say anything for a click. I like the way he shoots and edits as well as the information he provides. Cary comes across as genuine to me. I enjoy that he says his piece and the reasons for it. When he was concerned about TMNT he was very clear that he wanted to see better pics. It was also very obvious that TMNT was probably going to be the machine that he was going to buy. I find my self in a similar position, I have wanted to buy NIB for a long time but there just hasn't been that combination of, theme, art and fun. Seeing Cary take the plunge gives me hope that maybe on the next one some one is going to get my money. Saying a game is not for him is not bad for the industry.

P.S. His content is something that influences my interest in the hobby as a consumer and that is good for the industry.

#353 3 years ago

Can you two just get a room already. I guess I should have said threesome slcPunk2113 would probably feel left out.

#388 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Stern already has their man. They don't need more, and they don't owe Carey anything except a C&D if he crosses the line again.
    Where did this sense of entitlement come from, that if some "influencer" sets up a youtube channel they should automatically become product spokesmen for whatever they're blabbing about? Stern should be forced to work with any clown with a mic and a camera "just because?" Yea I don't think so and neither does Stern. Cave in to one and suddenly you'll get a dozen more. Hell, look at the proliferation of youtube crap in just the last couple years..

Damn dude, you are a stubborn one. We get it, we got it days ago. Take a breath before you give yourself a stroke.

#448 3 years ago

The whole copyright and sending out a C&D in these instances is completely baseless. I know people hate comparisons to other industries but working in gaming and specifically sports, there are major repercussions to a leak. If someone leaked how a kit or jersey is going to look, there would be sweat shops churning them out in minutes. The financial impact of something like that can be catastrophic. Cary Hardy discussing his opinion of a grainy photo has no provable financial loss or impact, it is completely fair use. No factory is going to start churning out knockoff pins and steal the market. Yes these leaks can spoil the buzz of launch. Sending out all the information to a group of insiders that have signed a time sensitive NDA would solve this and everyone would be happy. This has nothing to do with copyright this is simply some one trying to silence critics.

#453 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

“We get it” posts have no effect on me.
    Sorry dude.

The comparison to you and Sterns complete inability to understand feedback is good comedy. Birds of a feather and all that.

#455 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We get it dude. You all hate stern!
    We get its are a two-Way street.
    What you don’t seem to get is how awful most of the “feedback” here is. If stern “understood” all of the useless feedback it gets here, they’d be out of business in a week.
    We get it. You all want stern bankrupt. We get it!!!

Ah the good old fall back of false equivalence and ranting hyperbole. Throw in some random "air quotes" and you are checking all the boxes of being in an indefensible position.

#457 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We get it. You are an expert.
    Like when you told us stern hiring more software people wouldn’t help them get more code done.
    We get it!!

Ah if only you could understand the difference to trying to discuss a path to success and improvement and wishing failure. Please I would love to hear your expertise when it comes to software engineering. You can keep yelling that I am an expert like its in some way an insult or negative.

P.S. It has to be a couple years since you failed to comprehend that point and your still rolling it out like it makes you look smart, take a little feedback and at least try some new materiel that is less self deprecating.

#479 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

We are just in the hate, cancel and tear it down culture right now

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I know.
    AND IT MAKES ME SO GODDAMMM MAD!!

I hope this was intentional because it was killer funny.

#489 3 years ago
    Quoted from Antron77:

Are you sure? I could have sworn I seen where screws were screwed in popping out of the top of the playfield.

When they partially populate a playfield, put screws in too far, bulge the top sheet, strip it down, throw it in the reject pile, and then recycle it and send to a customer that already has a bad playfield. That is the standard for new and as good as any playfield in a pro machine.

They probably could have gotten away with that playfield in a pro machine and maybe the person would not have noticed. To send it out as a replacement?! I thought it was just a mistake, maybe someone grabbed it out of the wrong pile. Then they told the guy it wasn't and that it was good enough, then it was just them blatantly not giving a fuck.

#536 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Can you use “whiny bitches” in IT nomenclature?

You totally can, it applies to anyone in IT that actually feels the change to stop using master and slave references is too much to ask.
    Who is going to think of those hard drives and sliding that little connector over the pins.
    It's actually hilarious when you see how hard it is for IT to get this right as it is.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Darscot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-stern-blacklisting-people?tu=Darscot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.