Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 632 posts
  • 137 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Lamberger
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    who_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpg
    3a5861c95871f4063a7f57a2ed97988a (resized).jpg
    7F40F8D9-EC7B-4A2F-A080-A2CD33B30BA7.jpeg
    1baish (resized).jpg
    Sternlist.png
    f25823345ceba8a48be4ea8808379243ccc40817 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    34F84C3D-C593-4F4E-B959-8568BE709D4B.gif
    blocked (resized).png
    ohhh-god-please-kill-them-all_o_4837453 (resized).jpg
    thread-derailed (resized).jpg
    4292979A-4F4E-42C1-9E7E-FE5AB2B66C91 (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpeg
    6FC6BA3F-3A40-4940-B1CF-14F3FCE7E83A (resized).png
    D228CF42-B3CB-4464-A009-2B3912615AE9 (resized).jpeg

There are 632 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.
    #1 3 years ago

So I'm not big into following all of the pinball news, but just in the last month multiple people called kaneda's employer which resulted in him ending his podcast. I know there is already a thread on that, but Flippinn and Mashing podcast got banned from facebook and Cary Hardy had a location tell him that Stern requested to not allow himto film any Stern machines.
    So I guess my question is "Seriously, What the Hell is going on?"

#2 3 years ago

I just saw that video too. Not sure what is going on in Stern's public relations department. Discouraging enthusiasts from your product is not good public relations

#3 3 years ago

Well I was gonna keep it a secret, but since you asked nicely:

Yes, stern is blacklisting people. And if you aren’t nice, YOU could be next!!!

#4 3 years ago

So now its "multiple callers" to his employer?

#5 3 years ago

I was banned from Stern's Facebook page. Not sure if that mean's I can still buy one of there games or not though

#6 3 years ago

F*cking idiots.

#7 3 years ago

Why are they being such giant assholes??

#8 3 years ago

Reminds me of the Jody Facebook days.

#9 3 years ago

Blacklisted lives matter too!

#10 3 years ago

Remember the B66 SLE video application debacle? Turns out that was just a test run - every game sold will now require an application and pre-approval.

094564C6-7646-4352-ABB0-9A99A67FDE84 (resized).jpeg094564C6-7646-4352-ABB0-9A99A67FDE84 (resized).jpeg
    #11 3 years ago

I guess I need to tell them how great their quality is and how amazing their theme choices and creative their layouts are now, or I might get banned too!

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from majicman110:

just in the last month multiple people called kaneda's employer which resulted in him ending his podcast.

Consensus seems to be someone from the Neo Geo forum (lol) did it.

Quoted from majicman110:

Cary Hardy had a location tell him that Stern requested to not allow himto film any Stern machines.

Reminds me, back in 2008 (or thereabouts) Stern took me and a friend out to lunch, tried to bribe us with t-shirts not to hunt down their test locations and post early reviews to RGP. Shirts didn't work, but "lucky" for Stern, they started putting out games so bad we lost interest anyway.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Remember the B66 SLE video application debacle? Turns out that was just a test run - every game sold will now require an application and pre-approval.[quoted image]

Would being the no background check distributer selling nothing but wwe and Mick on a stick the most soul crushing job ever?

#14 3 years ago

Latest Stern leak: Black Ball 2⚫️2⚫️

10BFA303-9590-4D13-B31B-A11991E5EC2C (resized).jpeg10BFA303-9590-4D13-B31B-A11991E5EC2C (resized).jpeg
    #15 3 years ago

Sounds like a Zach Attack - can't trust these Zach guys

#16 3 years ago

F*ck stern, there is no reason to go after Cary.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

Sounds like a Zach Attack - can't trust these Zach guys

Holy Shit! You've just leaked their next game.

ZackAttack (resized).jpgZackAttack (resized).jpg
    #18 3 years ago

Honestly, are they so thin skinned? Grow some balls Stern. (See what I did there)

You’re killing it at the moment. Completely dominating the market - even more so than before if that’s possible. You’re literally the only company producing ANYTHING. You’ve got fanboys the world over creaming themselves with every nostalgic release. WTF is there to be sensitive about?

Rule number one of modern social media marketing - don’t get sucked into confrontation with trolls. Just hit the ignore button ffs.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Honestly, are they so thin skinned? Grow some balls Stern. (See what I did there)
    You’re killing it at the moment. Completely dominating the market - even more so than before if that’s possible. You’re literally the only company producing ANYTHING. You’ve got fanboys the world over creaming themselves with every nostalgic release. WTF is there to be sensitive about?
    Rule number one of modern social media marketing - don’t get sucked into confrontation with trolls. Just hit the ignore button ffs.

Which is why they feel the need to give us the finger. That’s fine. I don’t work for Stern, could give a shit about their politics or agendas. If there is anything wrong systemically with any future pin purchase their tech help has been great.

#20 3 years ago

Gary mentioned Cary Hardy in a podcast earlier this year. I recall Gary conveying a weak but favorable opinion of Cary at that time.

To develop and create a product, then have select Negative-Nancy's jump on it at first daylight; been there. Months of work ripped on by limited individuals we perceive as simply hateful and/or bitter who's only focus is the negative aspects of our product. There's good in our product, why so negative and jeez, we just released it to the public.

A newer product will release, then another and another. In time, those reviewers will make a name for themselves. Nooo, stop doing this to us!

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from majicman110:

Flippinn and Mashing podcast got banned from facebook

People still use Facebook?

Quoted from majicman110:

Cary Hardy had a location tell him that Stern requested to not allow himto film any Stern machines.

Stern contacts locations directly to tell them what can happen at their establishment? That sounds a little far fetched and would require more information. My first reaction was that the location didn’t want Cary filming there and is using Stern as an excuse.

Sorry, I can’t join the mob with my pitchfork without more information.

#22 3 years ago

Stern will send games to all purchasers, but the people they do not like will get this:

0108171510_0001_00021 (resized).jpg0108171510_0001_00021 (resized).jpg
    #23 3 years ago

If the location is one of the places that is selected to get new Stern games in the very first wave, Stern could easily hold that status over them to pressure them on whatever wrinkles Stern's underwear that day. I saw the C&D letter that was sent over leaked TMNT photos...and this situation with getting Facebook pages banned is entirely believable to me. There is a specific method that can be used to strike down someones page if you are a Facebook advertiser, and Stern knows the formula. Remember the shameless Godzilla license stunt?

Bottom line is, people are still going to buy Stern games. They are still going to sell out of LE's at the manufacturing level. Until another manufacturer steps up and actually strains their market share, this kind of heavy handed petty crap will continue. When Stern has to actually work for sales, you will see a softening of this stance toward the enthusiasts. Until then, they are going to keep being as arrogant as ever.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Stern will send games to all purchasers, but the people they do not like will get this:[quoted image]

What game is that from?

This whole thing is absolute nonsense of true.

#25 3 years ago

A new low in pinball. Terrible. A global lifestyle brand that pressures people who criticize them.

Cary Hardy your a cool dude. Sorry this happened man. It’s what happens when corporations take over.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

What game is that from?

Its a Data East joke.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/deathball-2000-coming-soon-from-data-east

3f05edf87c11fc75897efb5d11e42e40d7d3c7c4 (resized).png3f05edf87c11fc75897efb5d11e42e40d7d3c7c4 (resized).png
    #27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Reminds me of the Jody Facebook days.

Careful mentioning his name or you'll summon the wrath of pettiness.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

What game is that from?

At Data East tour we saw a completely covered game with just the translite viewable. During the run of Lethal Weapon 3 pinball if I recall.

Edit: When you enable next game promotion on WWF Royal Rumble it shows in the attract mode.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I guess I need to tell them how great their quality is and how amazing their theme choices and creative their layouts are now, or I might get banned too!

Call Gary.

#30 3 years ago

This is marketing 101, people. As an author of 9 books, I can tell you that if someone writes a negative review on a book on the day one release (God forbid if that happens before it is even released) it can seriously impact sales for the entire life of the title.

I pissed off a fellow author once and she apparently decided her revenge was to get five fake email accounts and post 1-star negative reviews on my book about 5 seconds after it was available on amazon. If a zero-star review was available I am sure she would have used it. I protested to amazon since it was impossible that the title could have been read in 5 seconds but they refused to take them down. That title tanked, of course.

It only makes sense for Stern or any pinball manufacturer to try to stop people who they feel are not being objective in the reviews of their products.

Actually, what they should be doing, if they are not already, is put their products in front of more people who are objective (or supporters) so that on release you have a bunch of thorough, well-thought-out reviews on the day one product reveal so that the negative-nellies are drowned out.

#31 3 years ago

Now what if.... as like a funny joke, Stern would put all these efforts of banning people and black balling them, what if they took that effort and used it towards their game quality, instead? Like, as a fun prank or a goof?

#32 3 years ago

I guess when you have 85% of the market as Gary recently claimed paranoia is real.

#33 3 years ago

Just watched Carys video. The last few minutes are worth listening to!

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from Greenandwhite:

I guess when you have 85% of the market as Gary recently claimed paranoia is real.

Thats exactly what’s going on. It’s like Julius Caesar. Paranoia of power.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Just watched Carys video. The last few minutes are worth listening to!

link?

#36 3 years ago

If true , it will probably cause more harm than any damage Cary could have done .
    You catch more flies with honey .

#37 3 years ago

This one perhaps?

#38 3 years ago

Funny it's not on the SDTM channel , I thought he was a part of it .

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from jamescardona:

This is marketing 101, people. As an author of 9 books, I can tell you that if someone writes a negative review on a book on the day one release (God forbid if that happens before it is even released) it can seriously impact sales for the entire life of the title.
    I pissed off a fellow author once and she apparently decided her revenge was to get five fake email accounts and post 1-star negative reviews on my book about 5 seconds after it was available on amazon. If a zero-star review was available I am sure she would have used it. I protested to amazon since it was impossible that the title could have been read in 5 seconds but they refused to take them down. That title tanked, of course.
    It only makes sense for Stern or any pinball manufacturer to try to stop people who they feel are not being objective in the reviews of their products.
    Actually, what they should be doing, if they are not already, is put their products in front of more people who are objective (or supporters) so that on release you have a bunch of thorough, well-thought-out reviews on the day one product reveal so that the negative-nellies are drowned out.

But they’re trying to shut down the objective ones. Unlike your book friend, these guys aren’t competitors nor have any vested interest in criticizing Stern. They are as close to an objective “independent” media we have in pinball.

#40 3 years ago
    blacklist (resized).jpgblacklist (resized).jpg
    #41 3 years ago
    Quoted from jamescardona:

Except ... a lot of the criticism towards stern (& I really like their machines) are being objective and truthful - it's complaints about the poor quality of PF's, parts breaking in the first week of ownership, things not put together correctly.

Actually, what they should be doing is improve their quality and assembly, so the complaints really are just opinions about theme and layout
    A few bad reviews/comments about themes and layouts people don't like won't hurt the company. Revelations about poor quality will.
    My JP arrived with about 3 issues I had to fix out of the box, just not acceptable

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Except ... a lot of the criticism towards stern (& I really like there machines) are being objective and truthful - it's complaints about the poor quality of PF's, parts breaking in the first week of ownership, things not put together correctly.
    Actually, what they should be doing is improve their quality and assembly, so the complaints really are just opinions about theme and layout
    A few bad reviews/comments about themes and layouts people don't like won't hurt the company. Revelations about poor quality will.
    My JP arrived with about 3 issues I had to fix out of the box, just not acceptable

Not that I disagree about Stern’s QC, but EVERY game I’ve ever bought (from 4 different companies) has had things that need to be fixed out of the box. That’s not just Stern, that’s partly just the reality of shipping

#43 3 years ago

What a slap in the face to this hobby. Will be the first and last time i give Stern my money.

#44 3 years ago

I just watched the video , he was talking about a website that would not promote his videos now . Is he talking about Facebook because I've never seen pinside promote anyone's stuff .

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

So now its "multiple callers" to his employer?

Has been the story since day one. He said he was called into his HR department because two separate people called then regarding his podcast.

But that isn't the point I was trying to make at all.

My intention of this thread was to point out that other people that seem to be fairly well liked and respected are now having similar issues. So it doesn't seem like this is just "one a-hole getting what he deserved."

So moving forward. Lets leave the k man stuff for the K man thread. This was more about additional people that feel like they are being silenced.

#46 3 years ago

Perhaps it’s similar to that idea that it’s up to a company to try protect the licensed content that they’ve been granted. What if Stern wants to try to protect their employed streamer (DF)? And since Cary asked the location, who in turn, asked stern, they didn’t want to allow it since it benefitted a competitor of their employee? Maybe they said no just in an effort to protect a contract or something?
    I dunno...just thinking “aloud”

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

People still use Facebook?

Stern contacts locations directly to tell them what can happen at their establishment? That sounds a little far fetched and would require more information. My first reaction was that the location didn’t want Cary filming there and is using Stern as an excuse.
    Sorry, I can’t join the mob with my pitchfork without more information.

I thought Cary's video was very vague. Probably because he wasn't sure of who, what or if anything was directly working against him.
    I'm not part of or trying to form a mob. Just curious if anyone knows what is actually going on.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

If the location is one of the places that is selected to get new Stern games in the very first wave, Stern could easily hold that status over them to pressure them on whatever wrinkles Stern's underwear that day. I saw the C&D letter that was sent over leaked TMNT photos...and this situation with getting Facebook pages banned is entirely believable to me. There is a specific method that can be used to strike down someones page if you are a Facebook advertiser, and Stern knows the formula. Remember the shameless Godzilla license stunt?
    Bottom line is, people are still going to buy Stern games. They are still going to sell out of LE's at the manufacturing level. Until another manufacturer steps up and actually strains their market share, this kind of heavy handed petty crap will continue. When Stern has to actually work for sales, you will see a softening of this stance toward the enthusiasts. Until then, they are going to keep being as arrogant as ever.

I agree, but it just seems odd to me. I always thought people at the top of the mountain should be secure enough to not get swept into this stuff. There is a reason you are at the top.
    If you don't feel like your position is threatened (which stern shouldn't) then why bother. If you do feel threatened, then this isn't the way to fix it.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Remember the B66 SLE video application debacle? Turns out that was just a test run - every game sold will now require an application and pre-approval.[quoted image]

I honestly think stern is trying to move into a “lifestyle” brand. Make less machines and sell them for more money. Like a supercar manufacturer. Remember the Supreme game? I put a video on that games thread a while ago, showing how they became successful. I think stern is trying to switch to the sales model of “you don’t have enough to buy our game, fuck off”. I wouldn’t be surprised if the pro model gets pulled. Stern has never done well selling a more economic games. it’s the really expensive ones that put a smile on Gary’s face. You’ll have to own two previous premium games to apply for a limited edition.

Quoted from JodyG:

this kind of heavy handed petty crap will continue

For sure. Stern is dominating and have no reason to let up.

#50 3 years ago

From wwf royal rumble dmd if i remember correctly. Funny joke.

There are 632 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-stern-blacklisting-people?hl=ripper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.