Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 632 posts
  • 137 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Lamberger
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    who_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpg
    3a5861c95871f4063a7f57a2ed97988a (resized).jpg
    7F40F8D9-EC7B-4A2F-A080-A2CD33B30BA7.jpeg
    1baish (resized).jpg
    Sternlist.png
    f25823345ceba8a48be4ea8808379243ccc40817 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    34F84C3D-C593-4F4E-B959-8568BE709D4B.gif
    blocked (resized).png
    ohhh-god-please-kill-them-all_o_4837453 (resized).jpg
    thread-derailed (resized).jpg
    4292979A-4F4E-42C1-9E7E-FE5AB2B66C91 (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpeg
    6FC6BA3F-3A40-4940-B1CF-14F3FCE7E83A (resized).png
    D228CF42-B3CB-4464-A009-2B3912615AE9 (resized).jpeg

There are 632 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 13.
    #401 3 years ago

He’s really that good. I would blindly buy the next one.

#402 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Stern already has their man. They don't need more, and they don't owe Carey anything except a C&D if he crosses the line again.
    Where did this sense of entitlement come from, that if some "influencer" sets up a youtube channel they should automatically become product spokesmen for whatever they're blabbing about? Stern should be forced to work with any clown with a mic and a camera "just because?" Yea I don't think so and neither does Stern. Cave in to one and suddenly you'll get a dozen more. Hell, look at the proliferation of youtube crap in just the last couple years..

Yes, yes, same argument, but you seem to have missed the point. Companies no longer get to choose "their man." Stern has every right to lag in ignorance, but it will hurt sales. Joining the 21st century and working with Indy producers is simply good business. No one is saying they should reach out to every little troll either: Cary clearly puts a lot of time and effort into his media, and he tries to be unbiased. I've only seen a few of his vids, and compared to other pinball media, especially Stern's, his stuff is pretty good.

#403 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Cary clearly puts a lot of time and effort into his media, and he tries to be unbiased. I've only seen a few of his vids, and compared to other pinball media, especially Stern's, his stuff is pretty good.

Lol

#404 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I was considering selling my Scared Stiff til I read all of this. Man, B/W for life.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Ugh. You own this? I’d rather watch paint dry. Haha. You’re better than this Jeremiah! Step it up to a good game!

I'm a good but not great player... Scared Stiff is the only modern game I've ever played into utter submission. Twice. Got through the spider wizard mode, getting stiff 3-4 times along the way. Was completely done with the game by that point, no desire to play on, so I drained 3 EBs and put up initials. After doing that again a few years later I sold the SS and replaced it with the one game I'll never, ever beat: Simpsons.

#405 3 years ago

400+ posts basically going ‘whah, whah, whahhhh’ and throwing toys out of the pram. A couple good points here & there.

I’ve been shilling firepower for years. It’s only ever cost me money. I must be doing something wrong.
    17,410 games produced and sold. Beat that, Stern.

Steve Ritchie rules!

#406 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

You can stick with B/W, but you're missing out on some very entertaining pinball...

Oh, I cannot WAIT to get back to Dayton next March and play TF out of your new Stern machines.

Come on down to the pinball wasteland in the Florida Panhandle. You guys have more games in a city radius then we do from New Orleans to Tallahassee.

I don't have the benefit of going to Trent's or having 20 other pinball friends with the new game on the block down here, so I am going with the "tried and trues" - especially while Stern figures out how to make quality PFs again.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Ugh. You own this? I’d rather watch paint dry. Haha. You’re better than this Jeremiah! Step it up to a good game!

I know you mean that in good fun, Erik : ). That being said:

I refuse to buy any new games from Stern. Their QC sucks, their customer service is horrific lately, they have cheapened out and cut corners in every area nearly with dealing with the integrity of their product and their commitments to their customers. They don't care about their core community base; they care about how much money they can squeeze out of each of you. They constantly push the limits to see what they can get away with, seeing how long it takes for the metaphorical frog to jump out of the boiling skillet or if it'll just pop on its own.

They constantly increase prices and reduce what they give you in return. They increase topper prices and take forever to update code (although the latter they are doing better). They introduce new features AFTER a release and then make the consumer decide "Do I spend even more money to get what I should have already had?" (looking at you, Stranger Things). They don't admit to wrong doings or major QC problems in what could be considered one of the biggest "WTF????" moments with the playfield quality to the point we wonder what games do and don't have quality PFs spanning 2-3 years. Lots of circumstantial evidence of cyber-bullying and/or scare tactics towards anyone who has anything really negative to say about them on social media. It's just all a bit much.

To some here, Stern can do no wrong or "not enough" to get them to stop buying games. I get the idea Stern could remove the flippers from the PF and some people here would still give them a pass and install new flippers on Stern's behalf. Stern could release a whitewood PF, and some people here would install a vinyl PF overlay.

Personally, I simply cannot support a company that does everything I mentioned. They may be the big dog on the block - for now. Blockbuster Video could have said the same thing 20 years ago. Funny thing, wonder what happened to them.

#407 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Elwin's games are more interesting and challenging than even the best B/W games.

As you can imagine, Larry, this response is very tongue and cheek:

Forgot to address the above: not all of us play to learn fucking War and Peace in terms of gameplay and rules. For some people, MB, SS, AFM, TS, WH2O, CFTBL, or even BBH, IM, DM, etc. are fun and entertaining (read: enough). I don't want to feel like I'm studying for the MCAT playing a pinball machine. I want to keep things simple and fun. That being said, I recognize that "fun" to others is playing games like LOTR and TSPP where we're going to have a 50+ page book explaining the rules.

To some, fun is a 55 minute marathon game on LOTR. To each their own.

I had a 1 hour game on AFM - got a 90B score. I didn't touch that game again for like...3 months after that.

My point: I'd rather games where the total time is somewhere between 3 and 15 minute rather than having to bust out my Dewey Decimal System just to figure out which of 27 characters I should pick from on JJPPOTC.

#408 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I refuse to buy any new games from Stern.

I don't necessarily disagree with your list of complaints, but the thing is, they've made some of the most fun, rewarding games ever in the last few years. They hired the best player of all time, and he's on pace to be the best designer of all time. Not gonna deprive myself the joy of owning & playing two of my favorite games ever because I disagree with a few business decisions.

#409 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

they don't need Chris's or Carey's to survive.

Clearly they dont need them, but they could do a lot better and a lot smarter than trying to bully them.

Quoted from metallik:

they don't owe Carey anything except a C&D if he crosses the line again.

WTF? Do you mean a C&D for sharing his opinions, or are you talking about leaks?

#410 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I don't necessarily disagree with your list of complaints, but the thing is, they've made some of the most fun, rewarding games ever in the last few years. They hired the best player of all time, and he's on pace to be the best designer of all time. Not gonna deprive myself the joy of owning & playing two of my favorite games ever because I disagree with a few business decisions.

I have two bad playfields and it's been over a year now and I still haven't got anything from Stern. Do you reccomend that I roll the dice and get that JP Premium and Elvira 3 that i want so bad still?

#411 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

WTF? Do you mean a C&D for sharing his opinions, or are you talking about leaks?

I’m pretty sure he means C&D for unauthorized use of copyrighted materials.

#412 3 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Do you reccomend that I roll the dice and get that JP Premium and Elvira 3 that i want so bad still?

I did. Life is short.

#413 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I’m pretty sure he means C&D for unauthorized use of copyrighted materials.

Fair enough - was this the shitty photos from the distributor meeting or were there other photos earlier than that?

In any case, I'm firmly in the camp of ""get your own house in order before you go shooting messengers"".

#414 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Fair enough - was this the shitty photos from the distributor meeting or were there other photos earlier than that?
    In any case, I'm firmly in the camp of ""get your own house in order before you go shooting messengers"".

I’ve got no horse in this race one way or the other.

From an outside perspective I would think you have several issues here.

Leaked images have been happening for a long time. Sometimes it’s a crappy cell phone image that shows a machine in the background, sometimes it’s something like this where licensed and copywriter material gets out and people use it without the right to do so.
    I don’t think there’s much that can be done to someone in regards to a cell phone image, unless they were on something like a factory tour and signed something saying they wouldn’t take photos. Or in the case of an employee, where I’m sure they are contractually obligated under their terms of employment not to release such materials.
    Where this gets a little sketchy is using images that are copywrited material.
    Regardless if these were promotional materials or not, it doesn’t matter, they are still copywrited.
    It doesn’t matter if you’re a podcaster or “content creator” or what have you.
    If you don’t have the rights to use said materials, then it’s as simple as that. You don’t have the rights.

In the age of the internet where anyone can make a podcast or become a “content creator” as people seem to be labeling them, it seems many of these people are completely unaware of rules and guidelines (laws) that need to be followed in media.

Couple that with many of these “content creators” giving bad reviews to products being produced by these manufacturers. Sometimes these bad reviews are warranted, sometimes these people just bash on stuff because people love drama. The manufacturers can’t stop you from speaking your mind, but certainly their legal team can slap you with a C&D if you’re using their materials without permission.

I’m not sure that any specific person was targeted here. Seems more like a group of people all got the same treatment.
    One thing to ponder as well is in regards to a big license like TMNT, few if any here I would bet have any kind of understanding what kind of contract was signed in regards to how that license could be used or marketed.
    I’m not saying I do, but I would bet money that there are things agreed to contractually of how that IP can be used and how it is allowed to be marketed. If any of these “leaked images” violated that, they are going to do everything in their power to get them removed.
    I seriously doubt Gary Stern woke up one morning and decided he was going to go after a bunch of Pinball podcasters, YouTube videos and Facebook feeds etc.
    More likely it was turned over to a legal team because they had an issue and that’s how they handled it.

I don’t know. Maybe I’m way off base here, but that’s kind of what makes sense to me in regards to what has transpired.

#415 3 years ago

Blacklisted Lives Matter

#416 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

By the way, I tend to agree with you that they have a problem internally with their marketing or need to get their own house in order.

It’s kind of a chicken and egg sort of problem though.
    As a manufacturer you really don’t want to release any kind of mass marketing until the distributors are prepped and ready to sell games. Otherwise everyone is going to bombard their distributors with questions and want to place ordered. The distributors won’t be able to do anything or answer questions unless they are prepped before hand with specs and promotional materials. I.E. stock photos of the various models, pricing information and the varrying degrees of differences between the models.
    I suppose the problem is that everyone gets the same stock images, so you would have to do some detective work to figure out who leaked them before you were ready to start your marketing campaign.

I guess one way to solve that going forward would be to watermark the images with the distributors website or logo prior to them receiving the materials. That way if copywrited images get leaked early you would know exactly where they came from.

#417 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

My point: I'd rather games where the total time is somewhere between 3 and 15 minute rather than having to bust out my Dewey Decimal System just to figure out which of 27 characters I should pick from on JJPPOTC.

Totally agree. But why have that 3-15 minutes be wasted on an over priced snore fest like scared stiff? Everyone screamed to the heavens that Munsters was way too simplistic. But then line up to buy a scared stiff for 6-7k. I’ll never understand it.

Life’s too short to own scared stiff people!

It’s all in good fun. Just remember you don’t have to buy a stern from the past 5-6 years to get more enjoyment out of pinball than Scared Stiff.

Hoping to see ya at Pincinnati 2021 brotha.

#418 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Hoping to see ya at Pincinnati 2021 brotha.

You haven't cancelled 2020 yet have you Chuck? We've got until at least Nov. before you have to make a call don't we?

#419 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

You haven't cancelled 2020 yet have you Chuck? We've got until at least Nov. before you have to make a call don't we?

We have until sept to call it. Don’t count on it, but we haven’t canceled yet.

#420 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

We have until sept to call it. Don’t count on it, but we haven’t canceled yet.

Hope is still alive but I know it's iffy at best.

#421 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

To some here, Stern can do no wrong or "not enough" to get them to stop buying games. I get the idea Stern could remove the flippers from the PF and some people here would still give them a pass and install new flippers on Stern's behalf. Stern could release a whitewood PF, and some people here would install a vinyl PF overlay.

Well that just foolish sir.
    Its not that Stern can do no wrong they do plenty wrong as do all of the manufacturers whether it being sales or marketing or the BQ or theme, but we all have different tolerance levels. Haven't u ever sold a pin and been flabbergasted that's right "flabbergasted" by the nit picking of potential buyers. Yeah I didn't like the chipping on my JP2 but I treated the area to stop it from getting out of control and it didn't affect game play at all, then I recently sold it with no issue. I experience this in the music world as well. Some guy has an expensive guitar usually worth much more than his ability would garner but u can't touch it and hes wants perfection and his amp is custom this with this and other crap. U could knock over my bass or guitar and it could chip or get dirty and as long as it plays I don't care. you know. Ah too long I don't care anymore. Never blame other people for buying from a company because u feel its impacting ur ideal of what they should produce. Good day to u sir, I said good day.

#422 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

it seems many of these people are completely unaware of rules and guidelines (laws) that need to be followed in media.

I don’t know the law. I’m not a content creator, but I thought the were Creative Commons laws to use photos ect. As long as your not selling it. The photo leaker was definitely doing something that they shouldn’t have, but once it’s out there can Stern go after every Internet poster just for commenting on it?

You regularly see multiple major outlets post iPhone leaked pictures, are they all worried that Apple will try to remove their content. Again I don’t know the law, but it seems to me that stern is directing its efforts in the wrong place. Edward Snowden leaked sensitive info far worse the anything stern has done. It was spread and reported all over the world, yet the newspapers that published the stories weren’t at risk of shut down, its Snowden their after. (Poor analogy buy I think it makes my point).

Quoted from Coindork:

Where this gets a little sketchy is using images that are copywrited material.

I get It that this would be the main Point of contention. But, I’m sure this isn’t the first example of it happening and you don’t regularly hear of product manufacturers going after Internet personalities. The focus should be on where the leak came from internally.

Quoted from Coindork:

One thing to ponder as well is in regards to a big license like TMNT, few if any here I would bet have any kind of understanding what kind of contract was signed in regards to how that license could be used or marketed.

So stern fucked up, don’t want to admit it (again), and went after the 3rd person down the chain instead of looking at the broken link.

Quoted from Coindork:

I seriously doubt Gary Stern woke up one morning and decided he was going to go after a bunch of Pinball podcasters, YouTube videos and Facebook feeds etc.
    More likely it was turned over to a legal team because they had an issue and that’s how they handled it.

I wouldn’t put it past Stern (the companies not the man) to direct their legal team after the wrong person.

The simple fix is a unique watermark on anything that is intellectual property or copyrighted.

The bottom line on this is that Stern needs to clean up its ship Plug any leaks, instead of going after Social media.

#423 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

why have that 3-15 minutes be wasted on an over priced snore fest like scared stiff?

Because looking at Elviras boobs never gets old, thats why!

#424 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Clearly they dont need them, but they could do a lot better and a lot smarter than trying to bully them.

Leaks. Really, that's all Stern has on these guys. As long as they don't leak copyrighted stuff, Stern can't do much about them, except pressure locations not to admit them, which isn't really feasible in the long run. Carey et al have the right to say whatever they want, but they should have no expectation that Stern is going to assist them or put up with leaks, especially when they have JD filling a similar role.

#425 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I had a 1 hour game on AFM - got a 90B score. I didn't touch that game again for like...3 months after that.

I agree with you bud.. I don't think I've turned LOTR on in a year. That's one of the things I like about JP, it's not really a long player. I don't think you CAN play much longer than an hour because the game actually ends... you either get off the island or die trying. Most games are resolved long before that.. either you make shots and have a good game, or you brick and lose the ball.

Best thing is how the rules are set up, you can get points so many ways. Last night I set a new GC 1.76B, without making it to any wizard modes and with only one each raptor and chaos MB, both of which stunk. Instead I had a good rescue streak, 4 successful smart missles (earning my raptor MB, an EB, invalid? and a wildcard fossil), 140M off the invalid, 130M in bonus on one ball, plus rocking all 4 T-rex modes- 200M off the multiball and 100+ from each of the others. Was one raptor and a MAP set from likely 500M+ visitors center bonus, couple trucks from museum.

Right now, the "one more play" aspect of JP exceeds any other game I've played

#426 3 years ago

People who keep saying that Stern has the right to request takedowns of copyrighted material really need to brush up on the legal doctrine of fair use

The leaks are not being distributed for profit (eg counterfeit prints of the artwork). They are using a small portion of an overall copyrighted item to discuss it as a news item and criticize it (eg people who post movie reviews with clips from the movie). They are photos of a product and represent a small portion of the overall greater copyrighted good. The leaks cannot easily be shown to have a detrimental effect upon the value of the product (some guy saying it ugly doesn’t suddenly make the pinball machine not worth six grand).

Assuming the leaks are not illegally obtained by the leaker, Stern can ask and threaten, but they have no legal right to have them removed.

A lot of major media companies have the clout to abuse the DMCA on social media sites. The social media sites will err on caution, because they’re not going to risk their ass for you.

But generally speaking, Stern can’t stop you from sharing leaks. They can apply pressure to a location to keep someone they don’t like away, but that’s about it. Or the location is proactive about it because they’re afraid of being on Stern’s bad side when it comes to being first to get the latest and greatest

Or possibly in Kaneda’s case, they go to your employer and say how can you have a marketer that is leaking marketing material for other companies including some of your own mutual business partners.

#427 3 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I don’t know the law. I’m not a content creator, but I thought the were Creative Commons laws to use photos ect

No. Many people release their photos under CC licenses, but a photo is copyrighted by the person who took it.

If someone managed to take their own photos of Stern's stuff, Stern can't block those unless the photographer breached some kind of contract, or the photo reproduced copyrighted art well enough the artist could claim copyright, and even then would likely have to involve courts.

#428 3 years ago

Here’s a radical idea......deliberately leak images to one or two members of the media. That way you control the message and discourage “illegal” leaks because they’re now worthless. Same way famous people give photos to media to thwart paparazzi.

Bonus.....free publicity. 2x Bonus .....said media feels like they owe you and are more likely to give you good coverage. 3x Bonus .....the community don’t slam you for being aggressive to the media - you don’t appear as the villain.

#429 3 years ago

Just have the distributor meeting AFTER the official announcement with all the high res pics!!!!!!

Gasp!!!!!

#430 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Here’s a radical idea......deliberately leak images to one or two members of the media. That way you control the message and discourage “illegal” leaks because they’re now worthless. Same way famous people give photos to media to thwart paparazzi.
    Bonus.....free publicity. 2x Bonus .....said media feels like they owe you and are more likely to give you good coverage. 3x Bonus .....the community don’t slam you for being aggressive to the media - you don’t appear as the villain.

The NBA did something several years ago to catch a high level executive that was leaking to the media. They sent a memo to all 30 teams general managers, but placed minor changes in the wording in each memo. Then they sat back and waited to see what the reporter had to say.

The moral of the story is Joe Dumars was a dumbass

4292979A-4F4E-42C1-9E7E-FE5AB2B66C91 (resized).jpeg4292979A-4F4E-42C1-9E7E-FE5AB2B66C91 (resized).jpeg
    #431 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just have the distributor meeting AFTER the official announcement with all the high res pics!!!!!!
    Gasp!!!!!

But then the distributors would be unavailable to take calls from the most enthusiastic buyers

The best they could do is a morning meeting and an afternoon reveal.

#432 3 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I have two bad playfields and it's been over a year now and I still haven't got anything from Stern. Do you reccomend that I roll the dice and get that JP Premium and Elvira 3 that i want so bad still?

Are your bad playfields on LE's? In my experience they are a lot more willing to work with bad playfields on LE's since they were made for the home collector. Not that I agree with it however just my experience.

#433 3 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

Are your bad playfields on LE's? In my experience they are a lot more willing to work with bad playfields on LE's since they were made for the home collector. Not that I agree with it however just my experience.

You have to pester them at least once a week to get any action. Just calling once and filing a claim is a fools errand.

#434 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

But then the distributors would be unavailable to take calls from the most enthusiastic buyers

Huh? Reveal the game with pics at 8am. Distro meeting at 9. What’s the problem?

#435 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

You have to pester them at least once a week to get any action. Just calling once and filing a claim is a fools errand.

I didn't pester them at all and my distributor took care of everything. However on my older LE's when I called and talked to Patrick he was always willing to send me replacement parts and most of the time I was not even the original owner.

#436 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

People would be wanting to call the distro at 8:01am, but they don’t know everything about the game yet. Or during the conference call to learn about it, people would be calling them.

If I was a salesperson, I’d want to know what I’m selling first and then be as available as possible to field all calls/texts/emails.

#437 3 years ago

Zach and others might see this. I’d love to know what their opinion is for when they should be briefed and when the game should be revealed. But I understand if they rather keep those chats just between them and Stern

#438 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

People would be wanting to call the distro at 8:01am, but they don’t know everything about the game yet. Or during the conference call to learn about it, people would be calling them.
    If I was a salesperson, I’d want to know what I’m selling first and then be as available as possible to field all calls/texts/emails.

Why can’t the distro look at the same stuff their clients are? Nobody is going to ask about anything except price and the distros can get that at 8am too. More details to come. No big deal.

It’s a very simple solution for the leaks. VERY simple.

#439 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Why can’t the distro look at the same stuff their clients are? Nobody is going to ask about anything except price and the distros can get that at 8am too. More details to come. No big deal.
    It’s a very simple solution for the leaks. VERY simple.

I think it’s still valuable for the distributor to be more familiar with the feature matrix, especially if they are trying to upsell their potential customers to a premium or LE.

I’m sure there are regular customers that only need to send a single text to place their order, but the initial reveal is when most customers are still trying to figure it out.

#440 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Zach and others might see this. I’d love to know what their opinion is for when they should be briefed and when the game should be revealed. But I understand if they rather keep those chats just between them and Stern

I’ve voiced my opinion to Stern when I started Flip N Out Pinball. I knew that being part of media I would be an easy target to blame for leaks. As a reminder, the most recent TMNT leaks were published prior to distro meetings, so I’m not convinced this was a distro thing, but I understand how it’s easy to lump it into that.

I will say that the distro meetings are very helpful and Stern does a better job with this form of communication for reveals than the other manufacturers, so having them go away would be tough. I personally would love to see the leaks stop because I do think it has the possibility to negatively affect sales and exposure.

I have suggested to Stern some ways to decrease the likelihood of leaks, but it’s nothing they don’t already know and/or utilize. To me, if any distro is caught leaking info, then their rights to distribute games should be terminated immediately. That would stop things pretty quickly. Same with any other individual or group that is given early access. One strike and you’re out. Just my two cents. For us, trust is everything in business and once it’s gone it’s nearly impossible to recover.

#441 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

For us, trust is everything in business and once it’s gone it’s nearly impossible to recover.

Too bad Stern doesn't look at it that way....like needing to spend another $600 after the fact on your LE to get all the game code.

#442 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Too bad Stern doesn't look at it that way....like needing to spend another $600 after the fact on your LE to get all the game code.

I hear what you’re saying but that’s apples to oranges to what is being discussed.

#443 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Distrio meeting at 8, game reveal at 9. Don’t give the leaker time to use the information

#444 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

That one doesn’t bother me nearly as much as the UV kit.

Mostly because it was clearly planned from the beginning, seemingly scrapped, and then brought back for an extra fee. That and the upside down is an iconic part of the show and it’s a very underwhelming implemented feature in the base game.

#445 3 years ago

I don't see why Stern even cares. Their releases look like amateur hour and the leaks definitely don't hurt sales. They should focus on good relations with pinball media and fans, ditch the stupid lifestyle brand idea (it's cringe-worthy), and get their fucking QC under control!

#446 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

That one doesn’t bother me nearly as much as the UV kit.
    Mostly because it was clearly planned from the beginning, seemingly scrapped, and then brought back for an extra fee. That and the upside down is an iconic part of the show and it’s a very underwhelming implemented feature in the base game.

I still haven’t gotten over ghosting!!!

I love these rolling stern grievance threads. They really clear the air.

#447 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

I don't see why Stern even cares. Their releases look like amateur hour and the leaks definitely don't hurt sales. They should focus on good relations with pinball media and fans, ditch the stupid lifestyle brand idea (it's cringe-worthy), and get their fucking QC under control!

Makes them look bad in front of their business partners. They don't want to look untrustworthy if they are given access to confidential things.

#448 3 years ago

The whole copyright and sending out a C&D in these instances is completely baseless. I know people hate comparisons to other industries but working in gaming and specifically sports, there are major repercussions to a leak. If someone leaked how a kit or jersey is going to look, there would be sweat shops churning them out in minutes. The financial impact of something like that can be catastrophic. Cary Hardy discussing his opinion of a grainy photo has no provable financial loss or impact, it is completely fair use. No factory is going to start churning out knockoff pins and steal the market. Yes these leaks can spoil the buzz of launch. Sending out all the information to a group of insiders that have signed a time sensitive NDA would solve this and everyone would be happy. This has nothing to do with copyright this is simply some one trying to silence critics.

#449 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I still haven’t gotten over ghosting!!!
    I love these rolling stern grievance threads. They really clear the air.

We get it, you love Stern and what they do.

#450 3 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

The whole copyright and sending out a C&D in these instances is completely baseless. I know people hate comparisons to other industries but working in gaming and specifically sports, there are major repercussions to a leak. If someone leaked how a kit or jersey is going to look, there would be sweat shops churning them out in minutes. That financial impact of something like that can be catastrophic. Cary Hardy discussing his opinion of a grainy photo has no provable financial loss or impact, it is completely fair use. No factory is going to start churning out knockoff pins and steal the market. Yes these leaks can spoil the buzz of launch. Sending out all the information to a group of insiders that have signed a time sensitive NDA would solve this and everyone would be happy. This has nothing to do with copyright this is simple some one trying to silence critics.

This also reminds me of the people that think companies like Apple are often purposefully leaking details about their next iPhone.

No. People in their vast supply chain are paid bribes to leak things like phone dimensions so other factories can start making phone cases in bulk for day one purchases.

There are 632 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-stern-blacklisting-people/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.