Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 632 posts
  • 137 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Lamberger
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    who_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpg
    3a5861c95871f4063a7f57a2ed97988a (resized).jpg
    7F40F8D9-EC7B-4A2F-A080-A2CD33B30BA7.jpeg
    1baish (resized).jpg
    Sternlist.png
    f25823345ceba8a48be4ea8808379243ccc40817 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    34F84C3D-C593-4F4E-B959-8568BE709D4B.gif
    blocked (resized).png
    ohhh-god-please-kill-them-all_o_4837453 (resized).jpg
    thread-derailed (resized).jpg
    4292979A-4F4E-42C1-9E7E-FE5AB2B66C91 (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpeg
    6FC6BA3F-3A40-4940-B1CF-14F3FCE7E83A (resized).png
    D228CF42-B3CB-4464-A009-2B3912615AE9 (resized).jpeg
    There are 632 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 13.
    #201 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer67:

Shall this be The Last Podcaster left standing?!
    I swear, sometimes listening to some of these remaining podcasters approximates the act of slowly being force-fed excrement. Listen to them critically. An insult to our collective intelligence.
    A true member of the Army! A real mensch...a man of sensitivity and a true master of repartee and criticism - not driven by blind, obliterating ambition as he stomps on us with his muddy BUY! boots and gleefully notices that he is the only one left at the party who hasn't been pulled aside and "handled".
    Warning: VERY adult content! CHASE your children from the room!

You must be speaking of the main shill at The Pinball Show - BUY, BUY, BUY

#202 3 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

You must be speaking of the main shill at The Pinball Show - BUY, BUY, BUY

No comment! Draw your own conclusions, friend!

#203 3 years ago

My 2 cents - Podcasters being vague on culprits is an intentional misdirection to get some pots stirring... But hopefully they get an episode or 2 out of it!

I’m quite vocal about not liking the imitation podcast world... I’m of the mind that if you think you are so important You need to lead others with your hot take, and so influential that you actually have an affect on the market then you might have bigger issues.

With that said - remove your Anti-Stern bias for a moment and ponder this idea - when it comes to TMNT leaks, the art and license is owned & managed by Viacom/Nickelodeon. They were the ones set to announce & release it - they have pinball fans in their company AND way more pull in Facebook land than Stern - so I think it’s more plausible that maybe they might have a department and legal army to defend and protect their brand... Maybe?

I can assure you in my 5 years of working with Stern Pinball - No one at Stern sits around and shakes their fist at the internet or a podcast.... and Facebook ‘blocks‘ are coming from the social media manager - Not Gary or Zach...

But again I admittedly have a bias against Podcasts and a pro bias towards Stern thanks to my experiences working with them...The amount of work & effort that goes into making these games by every team member doesn’t allow for much outside of constant work...

So to answer the question of this thread I will ask another: “who benefits most from the premise?”

#204 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Keep telling yourself that. Seriously I mean that in a nice way. I feel the same about Hobbit. It is genuinely one of the best games I've ever played and to hell with anyone else. But let's face it.... there are reasons the popular opinion is what it is. You can like a turd, that doesn't make it any less of a turd lol.

Popular opinion has given us some pretty shitty movies, books, and music. Most of the great stuff goes unnoticed by the masses. This site is also notorious for being wrong about almost every game, and the opinion out of the gate is usually much different than the opinion a couple years later. I've been guilty of it myself.

#205 3 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
    #206 3 years ago
    Quoted from holminone:

Counterpoint. ....
    So if you are Stern, trying to expand the pinball universe beyond this eclectic community, do you risk having die hard pinhead culture pollute your message with opinions that tend toward negative and/or spotlight things that a neutral observer would never notice on their own accord?

If you are trying to expand pinball beyond "this eclectic community" - what's the difference?
    The casual non-hobbyist buyer in never going to see/read the stuff they are trying to shut down anyways

It's just stupid - STERN improve your product and address the quality/assembly complaints and most of the negativity will go away - the rest will just be ignored noise

And leaks happen, it's just the nature of the beast.
    Look at all the Ford Bronco leaks

#207 3 years ago

Looks like you proved me right.
    Jared is the social media manager and the copyright owner is Viacom/Nickelodeon.

But thanks for the downvote...

#208 3 years ago

JodyG had posted this. I am not on Facebook and could really care less.

#209 3 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

JodyG had posted this. Zombieyeti you said Facebook blocks weren’t coming from Stern, but this proves they are?

So in the world of licensing, you try to keep licensors happy so you continue to have a good relationship... the premise presented is that Stern is mean and petty And that’s not the case here regardless of who brings the message... it’s not hard to comprehend this concept if you remove your bias against a company...

#210 3 years ago
    Quoted from zombieyeti:

So in the world of licensing, you try to keep licensors happy so you continue to have a good relationship... the premise presented is that Stern is mean and petty And that’s not the case here regardless of who brings the message... it’s not hard to comprehend this concept if you remove your bias against a company...

I am not trying to be a jerk just putting this all together after hearing about Kaneda and Cary. I get it. I like Stern games. Bought 6 so far in last few years. Quality has been concerning though. They gave me a new populated playfield on an AC/DC vault, but nowadays it appears all I would get is an unpopulated one. Man that would be a lot of work.

#212 3 years ago

IMO, those mega-companies who own the rights to this recent release couldn't have given a rat's ass about the leaked photos.

This was a proactive move by the company in question. I'm getting the impression it was personal and most likely motivated by emotion.

IMO, this company should learn to chill out and let the Pinball Community do whatever it likes -- good or bad.

Publicity. Bullshit. Podcasters spewing their nonsense. It all makes this tiny Pinball World go round and keeps us interested. There are usually 6 or fewer "professional" releases a year, total, in the Pinball world...that sell in any kind of realistic numbers (and by numbers, we're talking a few thousand units TOPS and usually a few hundred).

This isn't the video game industry, where releases commonly sell in the millions.

Many of us need something - some noise - some sound and fury - to keep us interested.

As I stated in another post, no such thing as bad publicity.

#213 3 years ago

I am not trying to be a jerk just putting this all together after hearing about Kaneda and Cary. I get it. I like Stern games. Bought 6 so far in last few years. Quality has been concerning though. They gave me a new populated playfield on an AC/DC vault, but nowadays it appears all I would get is an unpopulated one. Man that would be a lot of work.

People like validation- I get it. If you suspect something you try to find evidence to validate it. A dangerous game on a forum...

Not to distract the issue - but Kaneda leaked Tmnt pics and claimed he’d do it for any Game. Then A week later has pics of competing companies game and did not leak ‘out of respect’... Carey posts reaction that he hates TMNT and a week later changes his mind... just 2 recent examples of how trust worthy these people are to their ‘audience’ minute-by-minute...

...my point here is that to give the benefit of the doubt to podcast entertainers focused on ‘clicks/listens/subscribers/ego’ but to say that company X focused on ‘making products/selling products you claim to love/employing hundreds’ is somehow different is a bizarre game to play... in the end it’s about support.

I’ll step away and stay out of it moving forward. I’ll just reiterate that my experience and bias leads me to a different perspective that I gladly share.

#214 3 years ago

Quality has been concerning though. They gave me a new populated playfield on an AC/DC vault, but nowadays it appears all I would get is an unpopulated one. Man that would be a lot of work.

Umm.....now days most people dont even get that. Ask me how i know.......

#215 3 years ago
    Quoted from zombieyeti:

Carey posts reaction that he hates TMNT and a week later changes his mind... just 2 recent examples of how trust worthy these people are to their ‘audience’ minute-by-minute...

I don't think Cary ever said he hates TMNT. He said it looked amazing and fun and would wait to order one until he played it. Then he played it and bought one.

I'm not arguing against your point but just stating I think his overall reaction to TMNT has been very positive.

#216 3 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Umm.....now days most people dont even get that. Ask me how i know.......

What’s your story? Let me guess not even an unpopulated playfield?

#217 3 years ago

I love Stern games but this company needs a shakeup in management and a new vision. They need to focus their energy toward their shitty quality and customer relations instead of worrying about what a YouTuber or a podcaster says about them. Very childish to say the least.

#218 3 years ago

What’s your story? Let me guess not even an unpopulated playfield?

Two bad playfields.......crickets.

#219 3 years ago
    Quoted from zombieyeti:

People like validation- I get it. If you suspect something you try to find evidence to validate it. A dangerous game on a forum...
    Not to distract the issue - but Kaneda leaked Tmnt pics and claimed he’d do it for any Game. Then A week later has pics of competing companies game and did not leak ‘out of respect’... Carey posts reaction that he hates TMNT and a week later changes his mind... just 2 recent examples of how trust worthy these people are to their ‘audience’ minute-by-minute...
    ...my point here is that to give the benefit of the doubt to podcast entertainers focused on ‘clicks/listens/subscribers/ego’ but to say that company X focused on ‘making products/selling products you claim to love/employing hundreds’ is somehow different is a bizarre game to play... in the end it’s about support.
    I’ll step away and stay out of it moving forward. I’ll just reiterate that my experience and bias leads me to a different perspective that I gladly share.

Your unbiased perspective is so refreshing.

#220 3 years ago
    Quoted from majicman110:

So my question would be, what loss has stern suffered? How did people seeing turtles 24 hours (but after Stern sent images out to distributors) early hurt Stern? If anything it got people more excited for the actual revealing. How does Carey Hardy praising games but saying that $600 topper is a scam (i don't even know if he ever actually said that. I just assume he did because he has a brain) malicious?
    Stern came out with a cash grab product, and everyone recognized it. Did anyone think it was a great deal and Cary changed their mind?
    This whole thing seems stupid.

Right there you claimed Stern toppers are a scam and Stern rips off their customers. Sounds malicious to me. Obviously you have some pretty strong opinions on Stern that go beyond one topper.

Leaks can be extremely damaging. It doesn't matter what you think is stupid or not. Let's say someone leaks Sterns next game early. The game is still in development and fans get upset at what they see. The game changes during development but doesn't matter, many have already written the game off and bought a competitor's game. Competitors can also use leak information for their advantage. If JJP knew exactly when Stern was going to announce their next game, they could announce their game before to steal thunder.

#221 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

If JJP knew exactly when Stern was going to announce their next game, they could announce their game before to steal thunder.

Or release a teaser video with no actual tease in it!

#222 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Right there you claimed Stern toppers are a scam and Stern rips off their customers. Sounds malicious to me. Obviously you have some pretty strong opinions on Stern that go beyond one topper.
    Leaks can be extremely damaging. It doesn't matter what you think is stupid or not. Let's say someone leaks Sterns next game early. The game is still in development and fans get upset at what they see. The game changes during development but doesn't matter, many have already written the game off and bought a competitor's game. Competitors can also use leak information for their advantage. If JJP knew exactly when Stern was going to announce their next game, they could announce their game before to steal thunder.

You guys all forget that Stern is THE major player. JJP is lucky to do 1 game a year, same as Spooky (who btw has the best marketing) American who does 1 title, & CGC who is 1 title every 2 years and then some by the time the game actually ships.

The point is they are the top dog and have really nothing to worry about from the others stealing market share. The caveat to this is IF they continue to be a bully and nobody likes bullies OR they continue to produce low quality games. Nobody disputes that their pins aren't a ton of fun and for most operators they really don't care as its just a revenue stream and the casual player has no clue. The HUO market is another story with the expectation we all have for something we are putting in our homes.

Where Stern needs to look, is in the mirror, and do their own due diligence, shut down the leaks and or build the hype. Maybe they should hire Kaneda - can you imagine

#223 3 years ago
    Quoted from zombieyeti:

Just to clarify. My first thoughts of the game were from the leaked images. Which weren't in hatred form, but a little let down. I state and hoped it was due to poor quality pictures. THE NEXT DAY the game is fully revealed with HD images and video - it looks great and I posted a video THAT DAY with even the thumbnail stating "I WAS WRONG". I even apologized for doubting your art. My thoughts as of right now are still mostly positive for TMNT.

If someone can take anything away from leaked images - it would be to wait for HD ones to get a better idea on what the game looks like.

#224 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheCapn:

Just to clarify. My first thoughts of the game were from the leaked images. Which weren't in hatred form, but a little let down. I state and hoped it was due to poor quality pictures. THE NEXT DAY the game is fully revealed with HD images and video - it looks great and I posted a video THAT DAY with even the thumbnail stating "I WAS WRONG". I even apologized for doubting your art. My thoughts as of right now are still mostly positive for TMNT.
    If someone can take anything away from leaked images - it would be to wait for HD ones to get a better idea on what the game looks like.

You shouldn't have to explain yourself Cary...especially to the most biased person in this thread. Don't filter your thoughts and opinions for anyone. Keep doing what you're doing.

#225 3 years ago

Advanced apologies if this has already been addressed.

Why can't Stern simply watermark the reveal videos that they send to distributors? That way, they'll immediately know who is leaking the footage.

#226 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Except Stranger Things. The people around here dissing that game are still wrong. It's the only game I play every damn day, and it gets better with each code drop. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Love Stranger things!!!! Its such a fun pin.

#227 3 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I love Stern games but this company needs a shakeup in management and a new vision. They need to focus their energy toward their shitty quality and customer relations instead of worrying about what a YouTuber or a podcaster says about them. Very childish to say the least.

Can we also suggest they ditch the "lifestyle brand" bullshit while they're at it?

#228 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Popular opinion has given us some pretty shitty movies, books, and music. Most of the great stuff goes unnoticed by the masses. This site is also notorious for being wrong about almost every game, and the opinion out of the gate is usually much different than the opinion a couple years later. I've been guilty of it myself.

100 percent agree

#229 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

100 percent agree

When a movie comes out it is finished. For example I love DP now but when it came out I hated it because the rules were awful.

#230 3 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

You shouldn't have to explain yourself Cary...especially to the most biased person in this thread. Don't filter your thoughts and opinions for anyone. Keep doing what you're doing.

But this is literally this issue we are talking about. Stern doesn't want leaks of poor quality images because it could hurt their launch. And here we have the guy in question saying he posted a reaction to these poor quality images and he was disappointed. Now, that shouldn't matter because someone paying thousands of dollars shouldn't give a shit what someone on the internet thinks of a leaked image. But apparently some people actually do. That's the clear implication here, there are people in this community who think these immediate responses and constant discussion are very important. But if it is responses and discussion on things that aren't complete and quality, it is likely to bring negative reactions just based on that quality. And apparently there are sheep among us who care too much about that stuff.

So, this is exactly why Stern would want to shut down leaks. One of the first reaction videos to their new launch is negative, even though they haven't actually launched yet. Why in the world would you guys think this is good for anybody?

#231 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Somehow everyone is quick to say "well, Stern has to just deal with real life, them's the breaks" when things leak, but nobody says to these leakers "well, you got caught, that's life, deal with the consequences". Copyright strikes exist for this kind of stuff, it's routine for Facebook, not some secret police shit. You post this stuff you gotta know it might happen.
    You can't complain that Stern is fucking up these podcasts' business and not also acknowledge that the podcasts are fucking up Stern's business too. These leaks aren't good marketing, they're not buzz builders, they're flies in the ointment. The only real buzz being built is for the podcast brands, y'all were gonna post and talk about the official pics the moment they dropped if there weren't leaks.
    Seems to me fair is fair, let the dice fall as they will, let both sides do what they're gonna do. Everyone understands how it works by now.
    Everyone just loves leaks, so they want to defend them. I get it, it's all fun to us. I got TMNT stuff leaked to me too. I didn't blast it onto the internet, I just shared with a couple friends quietly, got my little insider thrill, and didn't piss in the Cheerios. I figure the people at Stern worked hard and deserve to at least show off their game on their terms, why not?

So what about stern not wanting people to stream their games after they are released and out on location?

#232 3 years ago

Uh, why are people at this company trying to thwart the discussion of leaks, when they should be trying to thwart the leaks themselves? Seems kinda simple. Get your house in order. Rather than blaming others for noticing it is in disarray.

#233 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Somehow everyone is quick to say "well, Stern has to just deal with real life, them's the breaks" when things leak, but nobody says to these leakers "well, you got caught, that's life, deal with the consequences". Copyright strikes exist for this kind of stuff, it's routine for Facebook, not some secret police shit. You post this stuff you gotta know it might happen.
    You can't complain that Stern is fucking up these podcasts' business and not also acknowledge that the podcasts are fucking up Stern's business too. These leaks aren't good marketing, they're not buzz builders, they're flies in the ointment. The only real buzz being built is for the podcast brands, y'all were gonna post and talk about the official pics the moment they dropped if there weren't leaks.
    Seems to me fair is fair, let the dice fall as they will, let both sides do what they're gonna do. Everyone understands how it works by now.
    Everyone just loves leaks, so they want to defend them. I get it, it's all fun to us. I got TMNT stuff leaked to me too. I didn't blast it onto the internet, I just shared with a couple friends quietly, got my little insider thrill, and didn't piss in the Cheerios. I figure the people at Stern worked hard and deserve to at least show off their game on their terms, why not?

So what about stern not wanting people to stream their games after they are released and out on location?

Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

It’s not rocket science. If I as an operator invest 6-10k in a game I don’t want some douche bag recording and making fun of that game. I need that game to earn money. Doesn’t matter if you think you’re gods gift to pinball. I don’t want your opinion hurting my investment.

It was a game that Cary himself ordered and hadn't received yet. Why do you assume he would make fun of it?
    My experience and impression had always been that Cary discusses the good and bad aspects of machines.

#234 3 years ago
    Quoted from majicman110:

What about it?

That’s a bullshit rumor you made up and are spreading. Just start a podcast or YouTube pinball hot take channel. You are good at it, I can tell.

#235 3 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

But this is literally this issue we are talking about. Stern doesn't want leaks of poor quality images because it could hurt their launch. And here we have the guy in question saying he posted a reaction to these poor quality images and he was disappointed. Now, that shouldn't matter because someone paying thousands of dollars shouldn't give a shit what someone on the internet thinks of a leaked image. But apparently some people actually do. That's the clear implication here, there are people in this community who think these immediate responses and constant discussion are very important. But if it is responses and discussion on things that aren't complete and quality, it is likely to bring negative reactions just based on that quality. And apparently there are sheep among us who care too much about that stuff.
    So, this is exactly why Stern would want to shut down leaks. One of the first reaction videos to their new launch is negative, even though they haven't actually launched yet. Why in the world would you guys think this is good for anybody?

I was going to write my own response but this sums up my thoughts rather nicely.

Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Uh, why are people at this company trying to thwart the discussion of leaks, when they should be trying to thwart the leaks themselves? Seems kinda simple. Get your house in order. Rather than blaming others for noticing it is in disarray.

#237 3 years ago

I don't know anything- Mad season.

#238 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

It’s not rocket science. If I as an operator invest 6-10k in a game I don’t want some douche bag recording and making fun of that game. I need that game to earn money. Doesn’t matter if you think you’re gods gift to pinball. I don’t want your opinion hurting my investment.

It was a game that Cary himself ordered and hadn't received yet. Why do you assume he would make fun of it?
    My experience and impression had always been that Cary discusses the good and bad aspects of machines.

Quoted from cooked71:

Remember Gary Stern trying to tell people to stop taking photos and video of Stranger Things at CES?
    Gary, you'll never stop it. Learn how to go with it and use it to your advantage.

This is the kind of stuff that doesn't make sense to me. One of the "I just don't understand why anyone would do this stuff" things that Stern does.

Quoted from DaWezl:

Again, a company like Apple choosing to strategically leak information about the latest iPhone is 100% different than Stern having information about Star Wars or Stranger Things leak. In Stern’s case, they have to demonstrate to Disney or Netflix that they are acting quickly to shut down the leaks or they are at risk for having the license pulled on them. I’ve worked with marketing licensed products for 14 years now, and I’ve been at the company scrambling to stop a leak as well as at the company who gets a license bc another company screwed up. It’s a very real threat, and you only need one bad incident before you start taking the threat seriously.
    Now whether or not I think these particular actions are the right way to shut down the leaks? The problem is more about why the images are getting out early and less about who gets the images and runs them, but I’d wager that Stern is working on both sides of the issue. We just have more visibility to the external stuff.

The images get out early because Stern sends them out to distributors. There is no reason you couldn't do the distributor call the day of the release an hour or two before the official release. Or reveal the pin and announce when orders are going to go live like Spooky did. It isn't 2002 anymore. Information moves faster. Adapt and condense your timetable, do something else to resolve YOUR leaks, or stop complaining. Going after people in the hobby that buy and support you product is ridiculous.

#239 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

This site is also notorious for being wrong about almost every game, and the opinion out of the gate is usually much different than the opinion a couple years later. I've been guilty of it myself.

You mean when Stern finally releases proper code years after the game is released? It is one reason I'm not enthused about buying a new Stern pin, they are notorious for shipping with half-assed code.

#240 3 years ago

It seems like a lot of the comments here are based on the idea that all Stern is doing is attacking the people posting the leaked images. As if they are totally ignoring where the leaks are coming from. Do you really think they haven't thought of that and aren't working to stop it?

I don't know what their process is so I can't speak to how the leaks are happening. I have to assume most of the randos on these forums also don't actually know. But there is pretty much no chance Stern thinks that just trying to stop people from posting is going to stop the issues. That said, taking actions to punish those who do post leaks is a valid part of a greater plan. All this talk is doing one thing, it is making all of us aware that if you post leaked images of Stern's stuff, you might get banned from Facebook.

#241 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

This site is also notorious for being wrong about almost every game, and the opinion out of the gate is usually much different than the opinion a couple years later.

No truer words have been spoken. All I heard is how much of a turd Wonka was and when I finally got to play it at Pincinnati last year I friggin loved it. I played an easy 15-20 games and would have played more but the wait kept getting longer so I moved on.

#242 3 years ago

LOL there are a whole 88 Pinsiders participating in this thread many taking Sterns side they must be shaking in there boots

who_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpgwho_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpg
    #243 3 years ago

Maybe Cary IS the new Kaneda - just look at how fast this thread has developed and how many posts

#244 3 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

LOL there are a whole 88 Pinsiders participating in this thread many taking Sterns side they must be shaking in there boots
    [quoted image]

Nobody cares we are discussing things amongst ourselves in the great community. They don’t read these threads anyway.

#245 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Wow. I didn't say that Stern toppers are a scam. I said the JP topper and its price were ridiculous. I absolutely don't have an anti Stern bias. I don't have an issue with any other Stern topper. Since you kindly asked my opinion (i know you didn't) I think that it is implied that when you buy a Jurassic Park limited edition you are paying a premium to get all of the bells and whistles. The most complete version of the game if you will That is absolutely how they are marketed. Evidence of this is that mechanically it isn't any different from the premium. Therefore you have a customer that already paid that premium so they could get everything and now they find out that they have th o pay more in order to get the topper or they won't have complete code. That, in my opinion, sounds like a scam.
    I can think that, and express that opinion. That doesn't make it malicious. That doesn't mean I am anti Stern and your assertion that because I have this opinion about the jp topper, that my "opinions about Stern must go beyond one topper" is a nonsensical premise.
    My grandfather worked for Chrysler his entire career. We currently own two Jeeps. I like Jeeps. But I can also acknowledge that they put garbage transmissions in their cars. I have a friend with a 2017 Grand Cherokee that is already on its third transmission. All of these things can be true.
    That topper has its own thread so can we move on?

To address the rest of your comment; the leaks come from Stern. So if they don't want them to happen, then tighten the ship. They are the license holder. It is their responsibility to make sure the leaks don't get out. So how about they don't send out images to people before the reveal?

#246 3 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

It seems like a lot of the comments here are based on the idea that all Stern is doing is attacking the people posting the leaked images. As if they are totally ignoring where the leaks are coming from. Do you really think they haven't thought of that and aren't working to stop it?

Well, I got into this hobby just before the Ghostbusters reveal and there were the same leaked images of GB that we seem today. So, no i don't think that they are working to stop it. Unless you think this is a problem that should take 5 years to resolve.

#247 3 years ago
    Quoted from majicman110:

Well, I got into this hobby just before the Ghostbusters reveal and there were the same leaked images of GB that we seem today.

No.

GB leaked pics were of the early whitewood as well as mockups of ZY cab art package.
    Both MONTHS before release.

What we have now is leaked stuff 2 days before official launch, when stuff has to be spread through retailers & others.

#248 3 years ago
    Quoted from majicman110:

Well, I got into this hobby just before the Ghostbusters reveal and there were the same leaked images of GB that we seem today. So, no i don't think that they are working to stop it. Unless you think this is a problem that should take 5 years to resolve.

I don't think it should take 5 years, but apparently it is. Again, I don't know what their process is for providing info to the distributors. I don't know what steps they have taken in the past. I don't know what steps they are taking now. I don't know when they decided they needed to make more aggressive moves. I am not privy to any of that information. All I am saying is there is a lot of attacking Stern for what people perceive they are doing, without much indication that people really know what is happening.

Ultimately it comes down to this: Yes, Stern needs to get control of the leaks both internally and from distributors. But that doesn't change that fact that people are sharing leaked images Stern doesn't want shared. There is no need to share these images. It only hurts Stern's business. And so Stern (allegedly, we don't know for sure) is taking steps to stop people from doing that. And I have no problem with them doing that. Just don't share leaked images.

#249 3 years ago

If they wanted to stop distributor leaks, they could have the meeting with them and then immediately afterward do their public reveal. Distributors will have fresh info and can start taking orders right away. Why do the distributors need days of advanced notice on what the title is and what it looks like?

#250 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

What about it?
    That’s a bullshit rumor you made up and are spreading. Just start a podcast or YouTube pinball hot take channel. You are good at it, I can tell.

It isn't a rumor I made up. Cary Hardy claimed it happened to him. I literally started this thread asking what was going on and if others have had similar experiences. The accumulation of multiple things that Stern has done are confusing to me. Why would Gary be yelling at people for recording a machine at a show? Why us Stern contacting peoples employers to complain about their hobby? Why are the asking operators to not allow certain people to stream games from location? Why when they can't control their own leaks are they going after hobbyists that are excited to buy their products?
    I am not saying that all of these thing happened. I am saying that there are people that are claiming that all of these things are happening and was just curious about what is going on.
    If you hear something absurd, you may disregard it, but if more and more people claim that absurd thing is true, it raises questions.

There are 632 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-stern-blacklisting-people/page/5?hl=zpinman370 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.