Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 632 posts
  • 137 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Lamberger
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    who_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpg
    3a5861c95871f4063a7f57a2ed97988a (resized).jpg
    7F40F8D9-EC7B-4A2F-A080-A2CD33B30BA7.jpeg
    1baish (resized).jpg
    Sternlist.png
    f25823345ceba8a48be4ea8808379243ccc40817 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    34F84C3D-C593-4F4E-B959-8568BE709D4B.gif
    blocked (resized).png
    ohhh-god-please-kill-them-all_o_4837453 (resized).jpg
    thread-derailed (resized).jpg
    4292979A-4F4E-42C1-9E7E-FE5AB2B66C91 (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpeg
    6FC6BA3F-3A40-4940-B1CF-14F3FCE7E83A (resized).png
    D228CF42-B3CB-4464-A009-2B3912615AE9 (resized).jpeg
    There are 632 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.
    #101 3 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

Sure, and Stern has the right to try to stop them from doing it.
    My point is that there is no reason for people to leak the images, other than the fact that they are probably assholes.

Leaking images is one thing but in this particular case, with Cary, as he explains it, looks like they (likely being Stern or who knows) got to the location and put the clamps on the whole thing. This is a machine that is no longer under wraps and is now fair game for comment both good and bad. The whole thing reeks of the evil empire fighting to snuff out the resistance.

#102 3 years ago

Just leave Stern alone!!!

You guys are getting them all flustered over there.

CE5140F3-9ECF-429D-B476-5E02FF2726AA (resized).pngCE5140F3-9ECF-429D-B476-5E02FF2726AA (resized).png
    #103 3 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

My point is that there is no reason for people to leak the images, other than the fact that they are probably assholes.

But Stern doesn't have the right to try to stop it, other than trying to be better about controlling things before stuff gets leaked. Once it's out there, it's out there. They can file DMCA claims all they want, but it is widely considered fair use to cover newsworthy items in a hobby. This sorta thing happens all the time in video games industry.

Unless it was stolen or illegally gained in some other way, they have no legal right to remove that content.

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

Leaking images is one thing but in this particular case, with Cary, as he explains it, looks like they (likely being Stern or who knows) got to the location and put the clamps on the whole thing. This is a machine that is no longer under wraps and is now fair game for comment both good and bad. The whole thing reeks of the evil empire fighting to snuff out the resistance.

I have no idea what is going on with this, and it sounds like most people really don't. Which goes back to my original point that this is all speculation and no one has provided any proof that Stern had anything to do with anything.

#105 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

But Stern doesn't have the right to try to stop it, other than trying to be better about controlling things before stuff gets leaked. Once it's out there, it's out there. They can file DMCA claims all they want, but it is widely considered fair use to cover newsworthy items in a hobby. This sorta thing happens all the time in video games industry.
    Unless it was stolen or illegally gained in some other way, they have no legal right to remove that content.

You may be right on this, the fact is we can't get into specifics about what they can and can't do, because no one knows anything. We have no idea what was said or done or by whom. We are talking about them hypothetically trying to limit the leaking of their promo material, is there any thing documented about this happening at all?

#106 3 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

I have no idea what is going on with this, and it sounds like most people really don't. Which goes back to my original point that this is all speculation and no one has provided any proof that Stern had anything to do with anything.

It's complete bullshit with zero evidence but people think Stern should be issuing a press release to combat it.

I kinda thought fewer podcasts was better but now I don't know. Before, you had one guy telling everybody what to think and a couple thousand people here just followed whatever he said and it became their opinion. Now, the inmates are running the asylum and everybody is coming up with their own crazy horseshit. So instead of one line of opinions/conspiracies, we got a whole clearinghouse.

As a social experiment it's pretty fascinating.

#107 3 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

Sterns concern is leaked images and videos, guys. That is the core. Not reviews of now fully released games.
    I feel it is highly likely that the alledged action against an individual as layout out here, if so happened, is rooted in set individual previously publishing leaked images.
    Leaked stuff is not a joke for Stern. Causing them to not be able to run their release schedule and promotion plans as the want to. And possibly violating business agreements.

But isn't the stuff that is leaked always material that is given to distributors by Stern? If you don't want it out there, don't give it to people. If Stern has a problem with what is going on, perhaps they should take a look into the mirror.

#108 3 years ago
    Quoted from majicman110:

But isn't the stuff that is leaked always material that is given to distributors by Stern? If you don't want it out there, don't give it to people. If Stern has a problem with what is going on, perhaps they should take a look into the mirror.

To be fair to Stern, they should have those pre-announcement conferences calls with their distributors. It's a professional courtesy and a good business practice because the distributors need to know what they're about to sell, because their customers will be calling instantly.

What I think is a mistake is having that call a few days before the actual announcement. It could be done in the morning and the announcement posted that afternoon. That way the leaks are minimized and a bunch of people aren't trying to dissect and draw false conclusions based on low res photos.

#109 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

To be fair to Stern, they should have those pre-announcement conferences calls with their distributors. It's a professional courtesy and a good business practice because the distributors need to know what they're about to sell, because their customers will be calling instantly.
    What I think is a mistake is having that call a few days before the actual announcement. It could be done in the morning and the announcement posted that afternoon. That way the leaks are minimized and a bunch of people aren't trying to dissect and draw false conclusions based on low res photos.

This is the way they've always done it because it's the way they've always done it.

If they really want to end the leaks they should really stop. I don't see what antiquated purpose this practice serves any more. Thanks to my pal CJ for convincing me of this.

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

So if a blogger gets hold of sensitive information somehow, they are free to do whatever with that information? I don't think so. That's like buying stolen goods knowing they are stolen but justifying it because you were not the one that actually stole it. I see no reason why Stern cannot protect their business from not only leaks but malicious attacks from entitled individuals. Jobs and money are on the line. Facebook and others have the right to ban individuals they feel are not following the rules. Pinside no different. Brick and mortar stores can kick out people causing problems as well. This is nothing new.

So my question would be, what loss has stern suffered? How did people seeing turtles 24 hours (but after Stern sent images out to distributors) early hurt Stern? If anything it got people more excited for the actual revealing. How does Carey Hardy praising games but saying that $600 topper is a scam (i don't even know if he ever actually said that. I just assume he did because he has a brain) malicious?
    Stern came out with a cash grab product, and everyone recognized it. Did anyone think it was a great deal and Cary changed their mind?
    This whole thing seems stupid.

#111 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's complete bullshit with zero evidence...

I don't assume that I'm being intentionally lied to.

And again, while I notarially certify that you're the most bitter person on the interwebz, you're usually right.
    But it's funny how you yourself are "bittering" all over the place, but yet always seem to run to Sterns defense if someone else is.
    (While the gist is still right, as always, but your attitude changes. )

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from majicman110:

So my question would be, what loss has stern suffered? How did people seeing turtles 24 hours (but after Stern sent images out to distributors) early hurt Stern? If anything it got people more excited for the actual revealing. How does Carey Hardy praising games but saying that $600 topper is a scam (i don't even know if he ever actually said that. I just assume he did because he has a brain) malicious?
    Stern came out with a cash grab product, and everyone recognized it. Did anyone think it was a great deal and Cary changed their mind?

I can only guess Gary and co feel mildly embarrassed and wants their licensing partners to know they don't run some rinky-dink operation. It's important that they can be trusted with potentially confidential things. (Not that Stern makes anything in advance of a movie/show/band release anymore)

#113 3 years ago
    Quoted from majicman110:

So let's back up, what did Cary actually say about Stern? Did he say they requested that he not stream anything? Did he say anything about why they asked that?

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

Or they are excited about the release and want to share what they find out with other excited people. I think the dumbest pay of this is that so few people give a shit about pinball, and stern is potentially trying to silence some of those people.
    I mean Carey ORDERED THE DAMN GAME for crying out loud.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but he ordered the game. He was excited to stream it. He was going to go somewhere where the game on location because he was excited and didn't want to wait for his game. Not to mention that the only people on the planet that would ever watch it are either excited to buy it, or considering buying it. Then Stern allegedly says they don't want the location to allow him to stream it.
    WTF?
    I just don't get it.

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from majicman110:

Yes. And for leaks, say, within a few days of their own public presentation, it does not change anything for them. Or diminish they sales potential or competitive position. But, they have to think ahead. Maybe it is several weeks next time.

Besides. A business partner that has a date for a presentation in some contract, may see it as a violation regardless of how little or small. Which may burden Stern with needs to explain, legal dispute, claims of compensation and what else. If not for anything else, they will expect Stern to try and control it.

#116 3 years ago

Sad that we have people trying to control everything in the hobby.

#118 3 years ago
    Quoted from majicman110:

How does Carey Hardy praising games but saying that $600 topper is a scam (i don't even know if he ever actually said that. I just assume he did because he has a brain) malicious?
    Stern came out with a cash grab product, and everyone recognized it.

Yes everyone but the Stern sycophants and shills - Buy, Buy, Buy

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Stern marketing has some serious snowflakes. One of my locations has a non ifpa league with 50+ players a week. I tried to become a Stern army location since I buy every new Stern and my application was turned down since I refuse to tithe to IFPA.

This is absurd! Sorry to ask, but was this the explaination? And given by Stern directly. I thought Stern Army was for supportive locations. Regardless of competition activity. Let alone IFPA activity. Maybe Zach Sharpe is wearing one to many hats at the same time these days.

#120 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I agree, so wouldn't doing what you suggested be 100x easier than going after people that distributors forward photos to?

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

Yes. And for leaks, say, within a few days of their own public presentation, it does not change anything for them. Or diminish they sales potential or competitive position. But, they have to think ahead. Maybe it is several weeks next time.
    Besides. A business partner that has a date for a presentation in some contract, may see it as a violation regardless of how little or small. Which may burden Stern with needs to explain, legal dispute, claims of compensation and what else. If not for anything else, they will expect Stern to try and control it.

But how would it be leaked earlier if Stern doesn't give the material to the distributors earlier? Isn't the Stern distributor presentation always the source of the leaked images?

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from majicman110:

I agree, so wouldn't doing what you suggested be 100x easier than going after people that distributors forward photos to?

Yes? But it's not my choice. I'd run the hell out of Stern...straight into the ground most likely! But what a glorious few years it'd be for the consumers in the hobby (till the support is gone and buried)

#123 3 years ago

Ghostbusters and Deadpool, to name ones at the top of my head, was not from a semi-official presentation closly before launch. It was way ealier.

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from porkcarrot:

So let's back up, what did Cary actually say about Stern? Did he say they requested that he not stream anything? Did he say anything about why they asked that?

To paraphrase, he was going to stream from a location, had permission from the location and when he arrived to stream the location said that Stern had contacted them and requested that they not allow Cary to stream Stern games from their location.

#125 3 years ago

Oh, Stranger Things was reportedly leaked via the licenceholder. It goes both ways, I guess.

#126 3 years ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Can't say I disagree...I'm not a big fan of Cary Hardy, he shat all over Stranger things, and admitted to never having played it...Kind of hard to take an early review like that seriously.

Are you talking about his video titled "So, I Played Stranger Things Pinball and I'm Done" because that's his video where he talks about the problems with the build quality and design? He had definitely played it before voicing his opinion on the various issues he experienced.

#127 3 years ago

I don’t get the need to be so secretive about releases. What exactly is the correlation between leaks and sales?

#128 3 years ago
    Quoted from Waxx:

Are you talking about his video titled "So, I Played Stranger Things Pinball and I'm Done" because that's his video where he talks about the problems with the build quality and design? He had definitely played it before voicing his opinion on the various issues he experienced.

And the video shows his gameplay footage as he talks about it...

#129 3 years ago
    Quoted from Waxx:

You might say he went in there with his opinion allready made up, but that's no problem if you see what he does for what it is - his opinion.

There are things I don't like, wich doesn't mean they're shit, I just don't like 'em.

And that is a good thing, because you get opinions you can relate to.

I personally do not like Stranger Things (Pro), but Black Knight very much.
    Cary was pretty positive on BK and not so much with ST, wich for me makes his taste one I can relate to.

I love to play certain types of Japanese Visual Novels and RPG's and I read a video game magazine with most of the writers doing this for decades, and by knowing them I know if THIS CERTAIN GUY loves (or poops) on a game I will love (or hate) it, because we have identical tastes.
    (You don't get that when not critiquing.)

#130 3 years ago

Ok, so I went and watched the video where he talks about it, and as I suspected, this is pretty much all speculation. He says the owner told him he couldn't stream because of a "conflict of interest" and something about the content of his previous videos. I don't know who this guy is so I don't know what his previous videos are about other than what he says. Was he leaking images or information in these videos, or was he just talking about games that had already been released and his opinions of them?

But, he is the one who speculates that it is because Stern didn't like him being negative. We don't know of that is the case. A conflict of interest doesn't make sense to me there, maybe someone can explain that.

I'm not saying Stern isn't being petty, it just seems like everyone is jumping on them for doing this stuff when we don't know any of the facts.

#131 3 years ago

I could see pin-stack or another FEC doing that. Especially since they have had cross promos in the past.

#132 3 years ago

This is some serious bullshit and this is the time all the content creators should be calling this out. Cary is by far my favorite so it's real easy for me to simply not watch anyone that doesn't voice some support. Zach pulled a video the other day and had to make edits. These guys really should not be doing this for anything in the public domain.

#133 3 years ago

I think we all are over looking the most important issue here as stated in post #26 :

When the hell did we find out Dinosaurs plucked their eyebrows.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #134 3 years ago

Leaks are the best publicity for any new launch. So good I always assumed they were deliberate.

#135 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Leaks are the best publicity for any new launch. So good I always assumed they were deliberate.

Why leak poor quality photos on purpose? How does that help anything?

The first impression is the most important, so the first impression needs to be high quality, informative, and tempting. A fuzzy photo from a circa 2007 cellphone does none of these things. If it's to gin up appetite, then there are better ways to make teasers.

#136 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Why leak poor quality photos on purpose? How does that help anything?
    The first impression is the most important, so the first impression needs to be high quality, informative, and tempting. A fuzzy photo from a circa 2007 cellphone does none of these things. If it's to gin up appetite, then there are better ways to make teasers.

Just making a point as to how ridiculous it is to try to stop 100% of leaks (if that’s what they’re doing).

If they are leaks, just go with it and be thankful everyone is taking about your game for days or weeks before launch.

#137 3 years ago

Nevermind.

#138 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Before, you had one guy telling everybody what to think and a couple thousand people here just followed whatever he said and it became their opinion. Now, the inmates are running the asylum and everybody is coming up with their own crazy horseshit. So instead of one line of opinions/conspiracies, we got a whole clearinghouse.
    As a social experiment it's pretty fascinating.

Just as a reminder, politics isn't allowed on Pinside.

#139 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Yeah. Directly from Stern.
    [quoted image]

Stern wants launch parties to be IFPA.

What's the problem? Competitive pinball players want to attend IFPA events, not bootleg non-IFPA events, and there's only so many launch parties to go around. Allowing non IFPA events to be "Stern Army" endorsed dilutes the brand.

#140 3 years ago

I didn’t even think anti-IFPA was a thing anymore.

#141 3 years ago

Wait... antIFPA... antIFA?? Antifa??

#142 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Stern wants launch parties to be IFPA.
    What's the problem? Competitive pinball players want to attend IFPA events, not bootleg non-IFPA events, and there's only so many launch parties to go around. Allowing non IFPA events to be "Stern Army" endorsed dilutes the brand.

The issue is that Stern is missing a segment of the fan base that doesn't enjoy playing with hyper competitive players. I wouldn't call playing pinball for fun bootleg. Isn't that the whole point of the game? To have fun?

#143 3 years ago

Kanaeda had his links to his podcasts all censored off Facebook shortly before the end, by Facebook. He said he did some research and made a call or a friend at FB or something, and was able to confirm it was Stern playing dirty.

Here is an example of Stern throwing a hissy fit at select fan pages (but the seemed to let other go).

There is more than just rumors and conjecture in this thread.

FB_IMG_1594160597870 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1594160597870 (resized).jpg
    #144 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I'm not paying rent to the IFPA to be part of your bullshit fake internet points club.

Rent? you mean the buck per entry.

#145 3 years ago

Counterpoint. Not condoning or even defending what they are doing... but I'm going to make an anecdotal observation. It seems to me, most pinheads slam / go negative in the narrative no? Huge expecations, followed invariably by disappointment with LOTS of raging commentary. Of course there will be lovers of any game who will sing its praises, but for the most part, I get the impression that a disproporationate amount of commentary outside of actual game owners tends towards the negative...

So if you are Stern, trying to expand the pinball universe beyond this eclectic community, do you risk having die hard pinhead culture pollute your message with opinions that tend toward negative and/or spotlight things that a neutral observer would never notice on their own accord?

#146 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Isn't that the whole point of the game? To have fun?

somebody said the “F” word!

#147 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

What's the problem?

Guy who supports Stern gets no support in return? That's about as succinct as I can put it.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Competitive pinball players want to attend IFPA events,

Yeah, those dorks only show up for whoppers. Cool people just wanna have fun. Might be a good idea to cater to both groups.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Allowing non IFPA events to be "Stern Army" endorsed dilutes the brand.

Is the brand Stern, or IFPA?

Even if it's a total coincidence that the Stern employee delivering the news is the VP of the IFPA, it's a bad look. Like the old saying goes, Jimmy Carter sold his peanut farm.

#148 3 years ago
    Quoted from holminone:

Counterpoint. Not condoning or even defending what they are doing... but I'm going to make an anecdotal observation. It seems to me, most pinheads slam / go negative in the narrative no? Huge expecations, followed invariably by disappointment with LOTS of raging commentary. Of course there will be lovers of any game who will sing its praises, but for the most part, I get the impression that a disproporationate amount of commentary outside of actual game owners tends towards the negative...
    So if you are Stern, trying to expand the pinball universe beyond this eclectic community, do you risk having die hard pinhead culture pollute your message with opinions that tend toward negative and/or spotlight things that a neutral observer would never notice on their own accord?

There is nothing stern can do if the people doing the complaining aren’t getting anything from stern.

#149 3 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Kanaeda had his links to his podcasts all censored off Facebook shortly before the end, by Facebook. He said he did some research and made a call or a friend at FB or something, and was able to confirm it was Stern playing dirty.
    Here is an example of Stern throwing a hissy fit at select fan pages (but the seemed to let other go).
    There is more than just rumors and conjecture in this thread.
    [quoted image]

Boom!

#150 3 years ago

What is Stern's objective in pursuing such a strategy? What are the benefits and risks of pursuing such a course?

There are 632 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-stern-blacklisting-people/page/3?hl=majicman110 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.