Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 632 posts
  • 137 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Lamberger
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    who_designed-tech_support_3_laughing_man (resized).jpg
    3a5861c95871f4063a7f57a2ed97988a (resized).jpg
    7F40F8D9-EC7B-4A2F-A080-A2CD33B30BA7.jpeg
    1baish (resized).jpg
    Sternlist.png
    f25823345ceba8a48be4ea8808379243ccc40817 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    34F84C3D-C593-4F4E-B959-8568BE709D4B.gif
    blocked (resized).png
    ohhh-god-please-kill-them-all_o_4837453 (resized).jpg
    thread-derailed (resized).jpg
    4292979A-4F4E-42C1-9E7E-FE5AB2B66C91 (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpeg
    6FC6BA3F-3A40-4940-B1CF-14F3FCE7E83A (resized).png
    D228CF42-B3CB-4464-A009-2B3912615AE9 (resized).jpeg

There are 632 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 13.
    #501 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Remember those splitting Aerosmith cabinets?
    WHY DO YOU HATE US STERN?!?!
    Asking for a friend: is there a merit badge for contributing to Stern Rolling Grievance greatest hits threads?

Sometimes when parents seem to hate their kids it‘s just because deep inside they hate themselfes!

#502 3 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

You mastered the art of selective reading.

Look if you have nothing to contribute please do not post.

Surely you have some stern QC or pricing grievance completely unrelated to imaginary Stern blacklists that you can offer?

#503 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Look if you have nothing to contribute please do not post.

Lol.

Please look in the mirror.

Edit: And no, I love everyone, not just Stern like you do.

#504 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ve closely inspected a STH pro playfield against my LE and the pro the clear was noticeably thinner and could feel the inserts. LE?. Like glass. Couldn’t feel inserts.
    Intentional? No idea. Just my experience.

I’m pretty sure I recall someone from Stern commenting that LEs would receive “better pf quality”?

On a podcast last year I think?

#505 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I’m pretty sure I recall someone from Stern commenting that LEs would receive “better pf quality”?
    On a podcast last year I think?

They do some PF in house.
    Some not. Afaik it was not mentioned how these are spread amongst machines.

If you do stuff like this it‘s to regain control and to be less dependent from suppliers (and MAYBE their variing quality).

#506 3 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

They do some PF in house.
    Some not.

False. they cut and make EVERY playfield in house. They use multiple vendors to apply art and clear.

#507 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

False. they cut and make EVERY playfield in house. They use multiple vendors to apply art and clear.

I was only referring to including art & clear and: Tell Gary!

As far as I remember (!) he said in his recent multiple hour long birthday interview on pinball news that some are (completely) manufactured in house.

(And yes that would be news to me as well but thats why I remembered him saying that)

I still may remember wrong, I won‘t fight over that in an online forum.
    It still is a great interview to listen to.

#508 3 years ago

Sorry i trust the people in the trenches there. And that’s the word as of late summer 2019. Possible it’s changed since then.

#509 3 years ago

I thought this was old news??? Agree or Disagree with their policy, the answer is yes, Stern blocks/bans/backlists FB users.

blocked (resized).pngblocked (resized).png

#510 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Sorry i trust the people in the trenches there. And that’s the word as of late summer 2019. Possible it’s changed since then.

Maybe. Maybe not. Doesn‘t matter.

Only thing you‘re to blame for is that I want a GoT Pro.

#511 3 years ago
    Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Maybe. Maybe not. Doesn‘t matter.
    Only thing you‘re to blame for is that I want a GoT Pro.

You’re welcome.

#512 3 years ago

I was blacklisted as well, just because I criticized the quality of the playfields.. Haven't purchased a stern machine for all of my locations since, 4 years now. Sticking to JJP, Chicago, American, and spooky and old williams, bally.. More than $400k in machines purchased... not one stern, all over poor clear coat and rising insert issues.. not to smart on Gary's part. How many other clients have they pissed off? That's just bad business.

#513 3 years ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:Stern blocks/bans/backlists FB users.

Good.
    Who the hell is actually commenting on Sterns facebook page? I've never even visited it before.
    Then again I can't understand how anyone even goes on that ridiculous site, I mean with the exception of young folk and people who can generate money from it what is the point, to advertise ur life? no one really cares.

#514 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I mean with the exception of young folk and people who can generate money from it what is the point, to advertise ur life?

My understanding is that young folk won’t touch Facebook with a ten-foot pole.

#515 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lamberger:

I was blacklisted as well, just because I criticized the quality of the playfields.

By “blacklisted” do you mean you had comments deleted from Stern’s Facebook page? Or were you also denied access to do streaming video at a location?

#516 3 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

My understanding is that young folk won’t touch Facebook with a ten-foot pole.

Yep, Hazoff is clearly out of touch. FB is 30+ or older. But still, over 70% of the first world is on social media in some capacity, so to not even know what it is is pretty funny.

#517 3 years ago

Hey guys.

Over the years some users were banned/removed from the Stern Pinball social media pages for reasons that in many cases were diminutive. It’s always OK to express your opinion, even if we don’t agree with it.

If for some reason you have been banned/blocked at any point in the past, simply message me here on pinside or on facebook (Jared Guynes) and I’ll fix the issue personally.

Many users have reached out to Zach and in 100% of the cases we have removed previous blocks.

These days, a page ban is especially rare, only used if a user is using considerable profanity, making physical threats or harassing other users. We try to avoid it if at all possible.

Facebook is not necessarily for everyone. But it is for 2.4 billion people, and about 75% of Americans.

You can also interact with Stern on Twitter, Instagram or YouTube.

#518 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Hey guys.
    Over the years some users were banned/removed from the Stern Pinball social media pages for reasons that in many cases were diminutive. It’s always OK to express your opinion, even if we don’t agree with it.
    If for some reason you have been banned/blocked at any point in the past, simply message me here on pinside or on facebook (Jared Guynes) and I’ll fix the issue personally.
    Many users have reached out to Zach and in 100% of the cases we have removed previous blocks.
    These days, a page ban is especially rare, only used if a user is using considerable profanity, making physical threats or harassing other users. We try to avoid it if at all possible.
    Facebook is not necessarily for everyone. But it is for 2.4 billion people, and about 75% of Americans.

I read this as

Yes we did ban people, but we realized that wasn’t a smart move.

#519 3 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I read this as

I'd again post something about "selective reading" but I'm afraid CrazyLevi will clobber me.

#520 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Hey guys.

It's B.S, at no time was profanity, making physical threats or harassing other users done. They simply wanted to shut me up about the quality of the stern products. Its simple, use a good glue on inserts and a fantastic clear cote on the playfield. Everyone is willing to pay the extra $3 dollars for this at sterns bulk costs.
    But they won't... because they make to much on new playfeilds and parts. I think that's a horrible, and snaky. And that's why I haven't purchased a stern game in 4 years. You just lost $400k in business over your playfields... and if I'm not the only one, you are losing. LMAO.

#521 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Yep, Hazoff is clearly out of touch.

When it comes to social media? Yes sir, and staying that way. What r 30 year old's doing on that site exactly? On second thought I don't want to know.

#522 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lamberger:

It's B.S, at no time was profanity, making physical threats or harassing other users done. They simply wanted to shut me up about the quality of the stern products.

When we’re you banned? I bet it happened before Zach got there. That’s when they had itchy trigger fingers. This has changed as Jared’s post explains.

#523 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lamberger:

It's B.S, at no time was profanity, making physical threats or harassing other users done. They simply wanted to shut me up about the quality of the stern products.

And there goes the "unban"...

#524 3 years ago
    Quoted from billyboy:

Rather than wage war against an influencer, you hire them and have guys like this help launch your games without anyone knowing. The leaks could have been purposeful and calculated to build hype. Unfortunately, it didn't work that way.

Generally speaking, this never works. Usually people who are self described "content creators" are bad at working on or with a team.

#525 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Blacklisted lives matter too!

We're not supposed to use the term "blacklist" anymore though!

Being in IT, I'm seriously pissed off about this bs. This, and the removal of the terms "master" and "slave" as well. Working in firewalls constantly and also hard/soft chaining servers & networking hw that uses master/slave terminology, I am afraid of what the new nomenclature will be. It is hard enough to keep track of the endless acronyms. If they're going to rename it, I at least hope it is changed to something fun like "pooplist."

I'm guessing primary/secondary will replace master/slave, but doesn't inherently explain the nature of the control relationship, and is usually used in failover scenarios.

#526 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lamberger:

I was blacklisted as well, just because I criticized the quality of the playfields.. Haven't purchased a stern machine for all of my locations since, 4 years now. Sticking to JJP, Chicago, American, and spooky and old williams, bally.. More than $400k in machines purchased... not one stern, all over poor clear coat and rising insert issues.. not to smart on Gary's part. How many other clients have they pissed off? That's just bad business.

On the flip side, how much business have you lost from not having Stern games on location? I enjoy playing Stern games on location more than those other games tbh. You are free to do what you want but think you should base buying decisions more on customers than personal grudges.

I still don't get what people really want. Everyone moderates posts - including pinside. Jared comes on here to try on help and immediately blasted. And you wonder why Stern moderates posts?

#527 3 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I read this as

And - Yes, you guys actually run the show...if you would like a fully featured game for $5k...just pound the table hard enough

#528 3 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

Stern already has hired guns - Jack Danger and the shill on The Pinball Show.
    Thing is, they are never going to give an honest review like a Kaneda or Cary are willing to throw out there. You know the $600 topper that is a buy, buy, buy We need the Ying to the over the top Yang that you get from the sycophants to balance things out.
    Look at how Kaneda helped build the hype train for the new JJP Guns N Roses before he got skewered. Now that was clever on JJP's part to give him a taste unlike what Stern is purportedly doing.
    In the end we are all grown kids on here and need to make our own choices on what we purchase!!

I listened to Kaneda... and appreciated him for “speaking his mind.” He was entertaining. But, let’s be honest: Not being afraid to “speaking your mind” and giving an honest review are two totally different animals.

If you’re a pinball enthusiast that’s only concerned about art and assets, then he had some validity as a source for “reviews.” But if you’re an enthusiast that plays pinball for the game... then Chris was often useless.

I’m not talking tournament player “playing.”

Half the stuff he critiqued and skewered, he’d either never touched, or touched momentarily and didn’t understand.

I think Chris inflicted a lot of unnecessary and undeserved damage on titles (not to mention quality people working in the industry), but got a pat on his back because he was willing to say something negative. And that’s unfortunate, because a segment would take his boldness and brash comments and assume that they carried the weight of truth, when the reality was that he was simply saying dickish things.

Did Chris’s boldness help expose some shysters in the industry? Yes. Was his spotlight on pricing greed spot-on? Yes.

But, let’s not assume his “honest reviews” were all worth using to make decisions. Because they weren’t.

#529 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

On the flip side, how much business have you lost from not having Stern games on location? I enjoy playing Stern games on location more than those other games tbh. You are free to do what you want but think you should base buying decisions more on customers than personal grudges.
    I still don't get what people really want. Everyone moderates posts - including pinside. Jared comes on here to try on help and immediately blasted. And you wonder why Stern moderates posts?

Well said!

#530 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ve closely inspected a STH pro playfield against my LE and the pro the clear was noticeably thinner and could feel the inserts. LE?. Like glass. Couldn’t feel inserts.
    Intentional? No idea. Just my experience.

Not intentional. Pro models get just as much clearcoat as the LE’s do. It just worked out that way that yours had more, could have just as easy been the other way around i am sure.

#531 3 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Being in IT, I'm seriously pissed off about this bs. This, and the removal of the terms "master" and "slave" as well. Working in firewalls constantly and also hard/soft chaining servers & networking hw that uses master/slave terminology, I am afraid of what the new nomenclature will be. It is hard enough to keep track of the endless acronyms. If they're going to rename it, I at least hope it is changed to something fun like "pooplist."
    I'm guessing primary/secondary will replace master/slave, but doesn't inherently explain the nature of the control relationship, and is usually used in failover scenarios.

Master / Slave becomes primary and secondary.

Master branch becomes main branch.

Whitelist / blacklist becomes accepted / rejected lists.

Etc..

Currently doing a similar change and while I won’t get into a debate about right/wrong etc. most of the changes are not actual, tangible work, but more of a consideration to change habits when referring. The master branch change though... across hundreds of repos, even more workstations... definitely not what I was hoping to do with our Q3.

Life happens, stay positive and healthy... about all you can do.

#532 3 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Primary/secondary or production/failover work fine as substitute terms for redundant devices. Shitlist is an apt description for your list of networks/addresses that need to be blocked.

#533 3 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Not intentional. Pro models get just as much clearcoat as the LE’s do. It just worked out that way that yours had more, could have just as easy been the other way around i am sure.

Man I love how you live in this world where actual facts and observations are completely irrelevant because "you are sure" it just works the way you want it to.

I have never seen someone so detached from reality and who refuses to accept facts. Did the '90s era Bengals screw up your head that much?!

#534 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

By “blacklisted” do you mean you had comments deleted from Stern’s Facebook page? Or were you also denied access to do streaming video at a location?

I was blacklisted from the JJP FB page I can still view all content but may not comment. So to the whiny bitches who trash talk on the Stern FB pg and got banned man up and deal with it

#535 3 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

whiny bitches

Can you use “whiny bitches” in IT nomenclature?

#536 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Can you use “whiny bitches” in IT nomenclature?

You totally can, it applies to anyone in IT that actually feels the change to stop using master and slave references is too much to ask.
    Who is going to think of those hard drives and sliding that little connector over the pins.
    It's actually hilarious when you see how hard it is for IT to get this right as it is.

#537 3 years ago

Anybody in IT complaining about the master/slave nomenclature is an actual whiny bitch; however, it is decidedly less convenient for any real engineers who have to deal with various communication buses (e.g. CAN, I2C, etc.)

I said it. REAL engineers.

#538 3 years ago

I’m just concerned for the bondage industry. Primary/Secondary just doesn’t the same ring to it.

#539 3 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Who is going to think of those hard drives and sliding that little connector over the pins.

Do you still surf the information superhighway on your Pentium? might want to stick with social media...

Quoted from cooked71:

I’m just concerned for the bondage industry. Primary/Secondary just doesn’t the same ring to it.

Dom/sub is still ok I think

#540 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Do you still surf the information superhighway on your Pentium? might want to stick with social media...

No because my Pentium is stuck at 55 mph on an old two lane highway! And there are many off ramps that I am unable to exit on. Netscape just does not like all of the new code.

Edit: I will say this though, I am still using my phone to access the internet! It’s just not dial up with a modem...screeech, bwaaaaaa, screeeech, bo de da!

#541 3 years ago

Not sure I can start calling my Stern Metallica LE “Primary of Puppets”

#542 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Not sure I can start calling my Stern Metallica LE “Primary of Puppets”

lol.

Not sure Puppet is allowed either.

“Primary of Object Resembling a Human”

#543 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

My bills are still paid, and I have total freedom to buy whatever my heart desires... And stern still doesn't get a single dollar from me;D
    All they have do is use a well known clear coat product, 3 coats maybe. I'm sure everyone here would pay the extra dow for it.
    I have friends that buy the stern games they really like...(AC DC..Metallica) pull the playfield, recoat it and add extra glue on the inserts because they plan to keep it forever. Stupid amount of work but cheaper than buying a new playfield 2 years later and doing the same thing.

#544 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lamberger:

pull the playfield, recoat it and add extra glue on the inserts because they plan to keep it forever.

Maybe for routed games but Jesus what r u guys doing with ur pins? "keep it forever" famous last words.

#545 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lamberger:

My bills are still paid, and I have total freedom to buy whatever my heart desires... And stern still doesn't get a single dollar from me;D All they have do is use a well known clear coat product, 3 coats maybe. I'm sure everyone here would pay the extra dow for it. I have friends that buy the stern games they really like...(AC DC..Metallica) pull the playfield, recoat it and add extra glue on the inserts because they plan to keep it forever. Stupid amount of work but cheaper than buying a new playfield 2 years later and doing the same thing.

Your dime, your call of course. But I doubt most other operators would agree that they'd happily pay more for Stern Pros with extra clear. Stern's got 80%+ of the market by underselling everyone (I guess they were there first of all the current mfrs, so maybe the others are "overselling" them), not sure whey they'd mess with that.

#546 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Maybe for routed games but Jesus what r u guys doing with ur pins? "keep it forever" famous last words.

Have you read the forums regarding HUO Stern playfield issues?

#547 3 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

34F84C3D-C593-4F4E-B959-8568BE709D4B.gif34F84C3D-C593-4F4E-B959-8568BE709D4B.gif
    #548 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lamberger:

Have you read the forums regarding HUO Stern playfield issues?

Yeah kinda. I never had any real issues and even if I did it wouldn't stop from buying another Stern. If I was routing my games there's no way I wouldn't be putting Sterns out there. Whatever.

#549 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Yeah kinda. I never had any real issues and even if I did it wouldn't stop from buying another Stern. If I was routing my games there's no way I wouldn't be putting Sterns out there. Whatever.

Sometimes you gotta stand up to the bean counters... This is the one issue I won't let go till they do it right. A buddy cleared and reglued all the inserts on a brand new Metalica, sold it to me a few years ago...Its absolutely stunning, looks as good as the day I bought it. over 4000 plays. Absolutely amazing what a good clear coat/product will do to a stern game...and Donny's art! ... Beautiful game with mirror blades. never selling it.

#550 3 years ago

I'll never forget a live interview with Pat Lawlor...I witnessed it.. Gery Stern was there promoting ripley's believe it or not. And said Lawlor's biggest regret was Diamond Plate. the games lasted too long!

There are 632 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-stern-blacklisting-people/page/11?hl=otto110 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.