(Topic ID: 210665)

Have T2 and Met Pre - what's a good third? (thinking ST Pre)

By Fezmid

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Fezmid
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I know most of this is subjective, but looking for people's opinions here. I bought a T2 last year and had fun with it, but after picking up a MET Pre, it feels a little slow. Now some friends who come over like it BECAUSE it's slower than Metallica, so I have to take that into account, but overall I don't play T2 much anymore.

So now I'm thinking about picking up a ST Premium, but have a few reservations (although I've only played it maybe 20 times, and only the Pro model). My main concern is that it's very "rampy," which is pretty similar to T2. I don't know that it felt like I was playing T2 when I played ST, but after playing more, maybe I'd change my mind after playing it more?

It also feels faster than T2 - which is good and bad.

If you had T2 and Met Pre, what would you get as your third? I could potentially sell T2 as well, but I have the money to buy another Pro/Pre without having to sell, so the extra game for guests is nice.

#2 6 years ago

#terminator-2-judgment-day and #star_trek_le are both Steve Ritchie designs. If you want something totally different, look at games by different designers, Lawlor, Nordman, Oursler, etc. Borg did your #metallica-le , what do you think of his other big hit #the_walking_dead_le ?

#3 6 years ago

I would get a ST Prem sure! It is Rampy, like you mentioned but the wrap shot is really fun to hit. Wrap shot is super fast when you get it 2 or more times in a row, but hitting it once feels good. ST Prem is the last true Prem by Stern IMHO. The armor looks great and it has bling for sure. If you want less bling you face get a ST Pro. I had one for a while and really dug it.

ST can be a little fast on ball speed and flow. Also the shot to change missions can be a tough shot for newbies, so keep that in mind for casual players. For you though it would be a good change from MET.

I had T2 for a while and it was fun . After I got enough super jackpots on it I let it go for ACDC. It kind of plays like an older arcade game - simple, not deep and go get a high score.

If T2 is what more casual players like and you are give or take I would switch T2 out for another 90’s BW pin in the same price range, so you would have a third pin to play also. I liked my WCS and HS2. HS2 is fast but casual folks loved the supercharger. Folks love to hit goals all day long.

So I vote yes on ST and yes on switching out T2 for another 90’s BW.

#4 6 years ago

ST is a decent game but i would go ST Pro if i were you. You don't miss too much on the pro. Almost nothing actually, especially with the great job all the mod makers have done with it. Either way you can't go wrong.

#5 6 years ago

I think ST is a great choice, I also.owned T2 for years and finely sold it. I have the pro.

#6 6 years ago

I would go for a mode based game, a Pat Lawlor title .

#7 6 years ago

I love my Star Trek pro. What is your budget?? There’s a lot of good pins in the $4000-$5000 range

#8 6 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I hadn't really considered replacing the T2, but that actually might not be a bad idea going forward.

Sounds like a lot of people think ST will be a good choice, even if I currently have a T2, so that's good to hear. I can probably get 4 pins total in my basement as well.

As for budget -- part of that will depend on what happens when I do my taxes this weekend. But assuming nothing crazy, I'm thinking around $6k, maybe a bit more. I'd love a Dialed In (Lawlor), but that's a little too rich for my blood right now.

#9 6 years ago

I had Star Trek Pro for awhile. I enjoyed the game, but most games....i just felt like I was trying to keep the ball in play....little too fast for my tastes. Kept it for about a year.

#10 6 years ago

Consider the ST Pro then bling it out like I did, you can use the extra money for all kinds of bling and still have some money left. Mine is bolted to the floor. An LE would REALLY be the way to go IF you could find one and be willing to pay the price.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I can probably get 4 pins total in my basement as well.
As for budget -- part of that will depend on what happens when I do my taxes this weekend. But assuming nothing crazy, I'm thinking around $6k, maybe a bit more. I'd love a Dialed In (Lawlor), but that's a little too rich for my blood right now.

Well if you put it that way - take the $6000 and sell T2 and get DI!

DI is what you would want and will be a big hit with everyone, pinhead to newbie who shows up at your house. DI is very different from MET and both are great. Those 2 totally work!

Different is a good thing. I play my POTC after I play SW and love the change of play. Folks think you need like 10 pins to get your pin fix on, but 2-3 can go a long way and totally work. If you have DI and MET then T2 will never get played much anyway. Get a HUO DI if you can.

Sound good?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Well if you put it that way - take the $6000 and sell T2 and get DI!
DI is what you would want and will be a big hit with everyone, pinhead to newbie who shows up at your house. DI is very different from MET and both are great. Those 2 totally work!
Different is a good thing. I play my POTC after I play SW and love the change of play. Folks think you need like 10 pins to get your pin fix on, but 2-3 can go a long way and totally work. If you have DI and MET then T2 will never get played much anyway. Get a HUO DI if you can.
Sound good?

Yes, great idea!!

#13 6 years ago

My advice if you want it:

4 games is not a lot, it's a good collection. But it's not a lot of slots for games. Focus on quality over quantity, get the games you want. If you can flip T2 and the cash into a game you want you'll have 2 games you really enjoy, and 2 more spots to find similar games later. 2 good games > 4 okay games, unless you're throwing big parties a lot.

Don't buy Star Trek. Get something more different than your T2. I personally tired of my Star Trek Premium pretty quickly. It was fast and smooth, but not interesting to shoot, the rules were all very similar, everything returns to the flippers, and you have to enjoy trying to work big picture scoring strategies to have any real fun. Get a game with more variety. Play your T2 hard, sell it after tax season, and get that DI.

Metallica is a great game, IMHO one of Stern's best ever, that's a great foundation. T2 is a fun game, with great sounds, but not a game with amazing longevity, which is why they tend to be great first pins and change hands a lot, it's one of the more reasonably priced solid DMD games. If you love it, keep it, if you don't, flip it.

#14 6 years ago

What about Houdini, if your going new that is...

#15 6 years ago

GOT pro...best bang for the buck.

#16 6 years ago

Personally, I think Walking Dead and Iron Man spank Star Trek.

#17 6 years ago

Spider-Man vault gets my vote

#18 6 years ago

Get a Gomez game. LOTR, sopranos, Batman dark knight, B66, etc.

#19 6 years ago

I just wanted to say that now is a great time to buy a third in my opinion. Whatever you do get. Now is the time. One of them.

I have my eye out for a second and a third. But I am moving on the first of March. It's all coming together. Good luck.

#20 6 years ago

TWD Prem by a mile

#21 6 years ago

Not sure I understand what rampy means. If you are looking for certain styles of pins it's important to get out and play to see what you like. ST is a good game. I definitely agree that the pro is the way to go. Yes you miss out on a few nice features but cost difference is significant. I had a pro but recently traded it away. It's a great pin but was the easiest pin to let go that I had. I played mine a ton and was time for something new. I love games with more than 2 flippers. Maybe look for a pin with an upper flipper to add a little something new to your collection. If you can swing it, DI would be my top choice for any pin produced in the last few years. ST pro and SM can be found a lot cheaper. I love 90's B/W pins so many great choices there. New pins are great but nothing buts great classic pins.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Not sure I understand what rampy means.

I meant that most of the targets in the game are simply shooting ramps. In T2, aside from shooting the skull, everything is pretty much a ramp of some sort. Compare that to Metallica where you have ramps, you have the snake, you have Sparky, you have the hammer, you have the graveyard... Lots to shoot for.

I've played ST Pro before and I really liked it - it's actually the game that got me back into pinball - and I love the third flipper. I haven't played it recently though, and am just worried it will feel "similar" to T2. Of course I could always flip T2 later as well since ST clearly has more going on than T2...

It's an interesting thought selling T2 and getting DI... Might be pushing things a bit but could be cool.

So many choices... Thanks for giving me more things to think about!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 25.50
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-st-pre-a-good-match-with-t2-and-met-pre?hl=hawks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.