Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WP_20141122_19_52_41_Pro.jpg
image.jpg
Uh-Oh.jpeg
image-530.jpg
48856302.jpg
0.jpg
There are 241 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 10 years ago

I have been seeing a lot of STs up for sale as of late does the game play
wear out fast? I have not played game and was thinking on buying one.
But the bunch of ads have me a little put off.

#2 10 years ago

Interesting topic, I had a pro, sold it thinking premium.....now I am debating if I want to order back the pro or not.....still debating. I will be interested in the replies as well.

Of course there is always "the shuffle" ...people that bought it prior to playing it. But decided it wasn't for them, and with the buying frenzy people don't have the room and or money to keep them all

#3 10 years ago

Considering there is a major software update coming, I'd say it is premature to sell. The game as it stands is great, imo.

It was/is a good seller for Stern though, so you are bound to see some churn in ownership.

#4 10 years ago

I think the 'keeper' list of today will be pretty slim compared to the past. With so many new titles coming out and so little money left I think a lot of guys will be selling more and more titles to fund the new stuff.

Rotation, Rotation, Rotation will be the new motto in the pinball hobby. I've noticed a lot of different titles for sale and I think that will become the norm. Plus you usually see titles come up for sale in groups for some reason. After a while that title dries up again and before you know it people are complaining they can't find one for sale...

Just because a title is changing hands often doesn't always mean its not a keeper... but only you can decide that.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Just because a title is changing hands often doesn't always mean its not a keeper... but only you can decide that.

This.

I was going to say that you can't judge a pin by it's marketplace history. It's all personal preference.

#6 10 years ago

First there are to many pinheads who buy a game because it is the latest thing out there. There is ever a HUO mustang for sale. If you can't get out and play one watch this it may help http://papa.org/2013/11/02/star-trek-tutorial-live/
I like the game fast and you don't have to be a great player to get to the end of level 1

#7 10 years ago

So far I really like it (STLE). I'm waiting for a software update. Since stern has gone out of their way to let us know we will have additional custom speech, we can assume it will happen. I don't see it leaving any time soon unless something special pops up.

#8 10 years ago

No

#9 10 years ago

It is a keeper for me. I am really enjoying mine. It also is the crowd favorite, everyone is amazed by lighting and gameplay. I think you will see some LE's coming up for sale because people want something else or once they got it the appeal wore off and $8000 is a considerable amount of money. Some just like to rotate and sell games often. I also think the new code will improve the game as well. I was really impressed with the Metallica update. I think it is one of the fastest-great flowing games ever made and it will be a very sought after pinball machine in the future-it's a Ritchie classic(;

Do not pay attention to the few that sell early-remember they made 799 LE machines and Premium and Pro will continue to churn out of the factory. Think of when Tron was released and how many people were selling their games within weeks or months, and now look at what that title has done.

#10 10 years ago

I like it a lot.

#11 10 years ago

It's a keeper for me.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

First there are to many pinheads who buy a game because it is the latest thing out there is ever a HUO mustang for sale.

#13 10 years ago

I think it is a very fun pin and will not be leaving my line up any time soon. I am looking forward to seeing what they do with the code.

#14 10 years ago

Keeper for me.

#16 10 years ago

We desperately need a code update to address the monotony of the modes. It's a keeper at least until then.

#17 10 years ago

Love my Pro, won't be going anywhere.

#18 10 years ago

It may be too fast for some.....

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

With so many new titles coming out and so little money left I think a lot of guys will be selling more and more titles to fund the new stuff.

There's plenty of money still out there Teekee, new players and owners are joining the ranks every day. Keep up hope man

#20 10 years ago

Its a great game, I am selling mine only because it was between that and metallica and metallica just offers more toys and depth in code right now. Star Trek is a way better shooter there, very satisfying flow and shots probably more so than metallica.

#21 10 years ago

Some games I've bought and sold include AC/DC Premium and Tron. Both great games. But I have a limited amount of funds and space, so those left in order to get a new experience. In an ideal world, I would have kept those games.

With that said, selling those games eventually led to my STLE. For what it's worth, I like STLE better than those 2 games.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

There's plenty of money still out there Teekee, new players and owners are joining the ranks every day. Keep up hope man

Its not about hope its about being realistic. All markets go down this road and end the same way. Everything always seems fine and dandy before the bottom drops out. How much the bottom drops remains to be seen but its not if its when.

#23 10 years ago

If the code were to stay in its current state forever, I would fire sale. However, code is coming, Karl urban is coming, and Steve Ritchie is still behind the console. So things are looking up for ST owners, current and future.

#24 10 years ago

This is the normal cycle now, for better or for worse. New game comes out, everyone gets excited, code updates comes, people are happy, then the first code push slows, the major update the game needs to satisfy the desires of home owners lags a little bit. People get restless, a couple flip games, and then omg the sky is falling.

Metallica went through the same thing. At least this time we know more from Stern about the new code coming, Steve Ritchie has been very up front that they hear our concerns and are working on it, we know the Karl Urban recording is done. It's time to just chill and let the process play out. If you can't take it then just don't buy the game until the code is done.

#25 10 years ago

Any pinball machine will become boring in time, it's a game people. If there were still arcades around like the 90's I might own a pin or 2 but I would going out and playing pinball in the field then anticipating a new game coming as I have had my time with that pin etc. Every new pin I get for the house is never leaving but always does eventually, outside of a collector who has unlimited money and space we all have to sell sometime. I have bought many pins that just didn't do it for me and were gone in a month, there are very few keepers in my opinion.

#26 10 years ago

It's way too early to tell. Some of the people selling on here are constantly moving games in and out of their line up anyway. It's going to take some time to get a real gauge.

#27 10 years ago

Pinheads like to gamble

#28 10 years ago

I'm still playing mine.

#29 10 years ago

I loved mine until something happened and I no longer enjoyed it at all... That said, I will consider it again once the code updates are through.

-Wes

#30 10 years ago

No game I own is ever a keeper. I rotate pretty frequently. That being said, I think Star Trek will be in my house for a while. I really like the game so far. It flows very well (like any Ritchie game).

The issue of the code. I think the code is very good. But like any code, it can always be improved. There is definitely some room for improvement on the Star Trek code, but as it sits it's still great.

So is Star Trek a good game? Yeah I think so.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

I loved mine until something happened and I no longer enjoyed it at all... That said, I will consider it again once the code updates are through.
-Wes

Id like to hear that story.....

What happened, did the coin return flap reach out and tear off your weenie ?

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Id like to hear that story.....

I don't think the code update will help that...Unless it says sorry or something.

#33 10 years ago

The weenie ripper update was installed in the last code. I'm waiting for the 7 of 9 update before I jump on board!

#34 10 years ago

Not for me. Just traded mine for an IM.

I love the way the pin looks and plays (shoots), but the modes are simply too repetitive and it feels like more work than it does fun after awhile. Code will likely improve the repetitive feeling of the modes, but I think the 18 modes will still be largely the same as they are now in terms of getting through them. I didn't feel the need or desire to wait on the code on this one, which is the complete opposite of how I felt with MET.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I didn't feel the need or desire to wait on the code on this one, which is the complete opposite of how I felt with MET.

I'm on the flip side. I felt that no amount of code would help MET so I ditched it and I'm really digging my ST-LE and the code will only make it better.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

I'm on the flip side. I felt that no amount of code would help MET so I ditched it and I'm really digging my ST-LE and the code will only make it better.

So funny how different opinions can be when it comes to pins.

I had STLE about 4 months. I've had MET for 8 months. STLE got a lot "older" to me in that 4 months than MET did even prior to the epic code update.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

So funny how different opinions can be when it comes to pins.

So true and its a good thing.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I like it a lot.

0.jpg0.jpg

#39 10 years ago

I enjoy playing ST as it is and think it will only get better with new code...
OT: I have a lightly routed Iron man that I can pick up local for $4250 I am debating it as I enjoy playing the game but it looks and feels so cheaply built IMHO It's hard for me to look past that aspect of IM.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Its not about hope its about being realistic. All markets go down this road and end the same way. Everything always seems fine and dandy before the bottom drops out. How much the bottom drops remains to be seen but its not if its when.

First you're born; then you die.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Not for me. Just traded mine for an IM.

See, I get that there's this big love for IM from some people, I just haven't experienced it myself. I haven't played it a ton, just some on location play, so maybe I'm missing the magic spark, it just felt really basic to me. If you're feeling like ST is a grind I can get why you'd maybe want that kind of pin instead, it's just not all that appealing to me personally. I'd rather have something fast and hard that also had a little more meat, like The Shadow. Sterns are great because their depth overcomes all the crappy cheap downsides they have, and IM excels in that last department.

As you said, different strokes!

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I enjoy playing ST as it is and think it will only get better with new code...
OT: I have a lightly routed Iron Man that I can pick up local for $4250 I am debating it as I enjoy playing the game but it looks and feels so cheaply built IMHO It's hard for me to look past that aspect of IM.

I was always a critic of IM being flimsy....but having owned it for 6 months I'll say it's fine. I play ST - and Mustang - on route alot and honestly, they feel about the same as IM. A little "light" but nothing that's going to start falling apart. Mustang might be a little more solid. MET feels much more sturdy in comparison to any of them.

I'm not surprised at ST being sold off. It's a cool game, but outside the lighting and some good flow it is nothing special right now. I'll get one someday if the rules get better.

#43 10 years ago

At the moment I am not digging any of my pins, lost interest.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Getting warm out!

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

I'm sorry you're feeling the pinball blues. Give pinball a break and go enjoy the springtime or something else. Maybe you'll get back into it after a few months.

--Luke

#46 10 years ago

In it's current form, I don't think ST is a keeper. I felt the same way about AC/DC initially too with the first software, and Spiderman...you can see how those turned out, awesome. Not a guarantee with this though, this may not turn itself around necessarily.

#47 10 years ago

I will say this. When I talk about selling or trading a pin, the 2 that my sons ask me not to sell are LOTR-LE and STLE. They are staying I would think for a while. Anything to keep my boys flippin'!

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

New fear created.

What happened was the game became a slog (as has been mentioned by others). All the modes are 'shoot ramps and loops', but there's nothing INTERESTING about making those shots once you get them down. I LOVED stringing together 4-5 shot combos, but then, that became fairly standard, because the shots are so wide open. I feel like the modes need to be a LOT cooler. Like require certain combo sequences or a timing between shots or something like that.

Also, I probably would have held on to it, but I'm an XMLE preorder guy, so I've already been through that once, don't feel like waiting months and months for a code update. So I moved on, to a Twilight Zone, and now I'm enjoying that while I wait and see what happens with ST.

-Wes

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from john041160:

I have been seeing a lot of STs up for sale as of late does the game play
wear out fast? I have not played game and was thinking on buying one.
But the bunch of ads have me a little put off.

You have a nice collection of titles . You have not rated any of your pinball machines . So there is no frame of reference for me to gauge the type of game play you prefer . That being said I will do the best to answer you question based solely on my experience with STERN STAR TREK . STLE in my case is a lot of fun. The game play is solid. Even with the level one missions being similar there is enough fun to be had with them. the sound track is good for the individual missions . Plenty of different Dot animations . Several skill shot options. Once you qualify for KM ball. The muli-ball is great. Seven shots to achieve and each shot in KM must be hit twice. this gets the excitement going . The WARP RAMP shot is just so fun and rewarding in terms of fun factor. The Vengeance 1st multi-Ball has a great feel and wonderful music and sound effects and one of the better voice overs in the game. If you defeat the Vengeance ship there is a great Victory lap in were the music changes to a triumphant tune and an opportunity for some awesome set of shots. After completing all the level one missions you Enter the Next major Multi-ball . This scores based on how you did in each individual level one mission modes. The insert light up in different colors for the level one modes. Neat to complete the shots and if you can remember witch modes you faired the best in adds better scoring possibilities . STERN STAR TREK is a pinball that is very well thought out and will provide long term replay value in my opinion. I would recommend it as an addition to your line up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 24.95
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 241 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-st-not-a-keeper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.