Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Atomicboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SMs.JPG
download.jpg
MV5BNDM1NDkzOTE0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzA0OTY1._V1_SY317_CR3,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

#1 4 years ago

I loved my SM while I had it and put a couple thousand plays on it before he left. But I've come to sense that while people rave about its fantastic polished code, it doesn't seem to generate much emotion. SM seems to be "respected" rather than "loved". I want my LOTR back badly, but don't miss SM at all. I completely appreciate and respect its quality, but why don't I miss it? I always thought the sound package was too grating and got totally fed up with the Venom squawk, and the "C'mon, c'mon, c'mon!" hurry up callout for example. But it's not really negative things (and there aren't many!) that turn me off it, it's more that it just doesn't stir anything me. Now this applies to everybody for different machines of course, but Spidey seems to simply be a standout in the lack of love vs such high amounts of appreciation and respect. Is SM the height of "academic" pinball with careful thought behind its design and code, whilst somehow becoming "soulless"?

#2 4 years ago

I enjoy SM a lot but I think the issue I have with it is that the multiballs are really rather pointless but rather a tool to try n get through the modes & work your way towards Battle Royal & Super Hero (one of the best mini wizard & wizard modes in all of pinball). It was the best of Ritchie & Lyman though till ACDC came along. ACDC the multiballs are actually worth playing & become quite lucrative once you get to the supers.

SM still a top-10 game IMO.

#3 4 years ago

Oh I love SM no doubt about that. Perfect flow, great toy integration, code is awesome, sounds good. Only flaw for me was somewhat blurry DMD animations but that doesn't really effect gameplay so it's a miner flaw in my book. To call SM soulless is blasphemy IMO but to each their own.

#4 4 years ago

Different strokes I guess.

As an entire package, I think SM might be Stern's best game.

#5 4 years ago

Good to see the love! Great game. I even started the club.

#6 4 years ago

Everyone has different opinions, that's just a given. I can think of no game with a better combination of rules and theme for myself, personally. It's almost like they made it just for me. Actually, I take that back. If this had been based on the comics instead of the films, I'd have zero complaints. Still, it's my favorite game ever made. Best wizard mode by a mile. Plus, you can bang back either side!

If everything goes as planned, I will be getting a SM shortly, and I'll be looking into replacing the villains with their proper comic versions. As far as I can tell, for some inexplicable reason, no one has ever done that!!!

#7 4 years ago

LOL, "Bang Backula". Great name!

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Thank you. With great power comes great irresponsibility.

#9 4 years ago

I got rid of my BlackSM about a year ago and don't miss it at all. I did love the shots and the code was challenging enough. For me, I think the theme just didn't generate much emotion - good or bad. Kinda like the movies its based on. Just ok movies, not something I want to experience over and over.

Post edited by PinCrush: clarification

#10 4 years ago

Spidey is hot, hot, hot.

And that sound package that grates on you?

...I love it. There are tons of quotes from the movies, and the custom work by JK Simmons is fantastic.

One of my favorites.

#11 4 years ago

I like the theme and most of the play, but I think I have the same issue with it that I have with Star Trek - there aren't any hard shots that I am worried about hitting. As a result, I feel like I am making a choice of how to approach the game instead of hoping I will make hard shots and making decisions based on risk/reward. I think that may be what leads to the cold feeling when you don't feel the satisfaction of beating a game that seems like it is fighting back at you because the shots are hard or the outlanes are risky or it has a nasty kickback.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

MV5BNDM1NDkzOTE0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzA0OTY1._V1_SY317_CR3,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

download.jpg

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I loved my SM while I had it and put a couple thousand plays on it before he left.

A couple thousand plays? And SM can be a pretty long game. Sounds like love to me!

SM is a really good game, and right on the edge of greatness. But it is a long playing game. And it kind of brings you into a zone of playing. It isn't slapping you in the face, it is just a relaxing dance with the game.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I loved my SM while I had it and put a couple thousand plays on it before he left. But I've come to sense that while people rave about its fantastic polished code, it doesn't seem to generate much emotion. SM seems to be "respected" rather than "loved". I want my LOTR back badly, but don't miss SM at all. I completely appreciate and respect its quality, but why don't I miss it? I always thought the sound package was too grating and got totally fed up with the Venom squawk, and the "C'mon, c'mon, c'mon!" hurry up callout for example. But it's not really negative things (and there aren't many!) that turn me off it, it's more that it just doesn't stir anything me. Now this applies to everybody for different machines of course, but Spidey seems to simply be a standout in the lack of love vs such high amounts of appreciation and respect. Is SM the height of "academic" pinball with careful thought behind its design and code, whilst somehow becoming "soulless"?

I think this captures my feelings on SM perfectly. I owned the pin for quite awhile, enjoyed it quite a bit overall, but unlike many other pins that I've sold, I have never really missed SM, regretted selling it, or had any meaningful desire to get it back in the lineup.

I played one on route a few weeks ago. It didn't really trigger any nostalgia from previously owning the pin.

It comes down to what you said, a pin that I enjoyed and still respect, but there is something missing in terms of it's overall personality. I.e., "too cold" is an accurate description in my opinion.

#15 4 years ago

I totally get what you're saying. I like the game, a *lot*, but I don't see myself every becoming truly passionate about it. Not sure I can put it into words any better than that.

#16 4 years ago

I'm already working on amassing the troops. Bonus points for catching the "alas..." reference.

SMs.JPG
#17 4 years ago

I think to appreciate it, you've got to understand the rules. Which I know most people here do, but newbies at my house always get confused when playing Spiderman versus all the mode-based games. It's much easier to tell them to shoot the JP control room to start a mode and then feed the t-rex than to try to explain stacking and everything happening simultaneously on Spidey, and the super flow already keeps them on their toes so much they just don't enjoy it.

When we first got ours, I didn't understand it because I didn't know the rules. I would just hit Sandman all the time, and it began to feel too much like RFM by hitting everything up the middle. Then as I learned more of what to do and got good enough at shooting/making shots so that I could get higher in the levels for each character and get to Super Hero, it clicked and I loved it. I didn't care too much for the movies themselves, but I absolutely love the callouts and JK Simmons. I think the artwork is in general ugly, so we replaced all the sling plastics with the black Back Alley options, added the subway/buildings to cover up the majority of faces, added a shaker, added spiders on the webs and speaker grills, and gave it some custom LED lighting to highlight the characters more. I may have to look into replacing them to comic style like BangBackula is doing, but for now it's pretty perfect to me. It helps that Spiderman is my husband's favorite comic, but ours is never leaving.

#18 4 years ago

It needs more modes. I've had one only for a couple weeks so far, got to SH once, BR nearly every game, but although I like the stacking, the repetition of play is starting to grind on me already.

I stayed away from the title forever, because I feared what I think now. We'll see if my mind changes.

#19 4 years ago

Well, Spidey KILLS Metallica, so there's that...JOKING, fellas, don't throw rocks...

Although I do like Spidey quite a bit more. Sandman is meh, but the shot distribution and multiplexing of the shots keeps you shooting all over the field all the time. I only sold mine because I HAD to, and would LOVE, yes LOVE to get one back someday, although that is not very likely.

Definitely an "upper tier" pin and one of Stern's best efforts.

IMO!

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Spidey is hot, hot, hot.
And that sound package that grates on you?
...I love it. There are tons of quotes from the movies, and the custom work by JK Simmons is fantastic.
One of my favorites.

That's Mr. J.K. Simmons now that he has an Oscar. Any other Oscar winners do custom callouts for a pin?

A small thing that I do appreciate about Spider-Man is the game covers all 3 movies in the series...and while I prefer custom dots, at least the video clips are full screen.

I love Spidey. My only criticism is there is no way of seeing how many balls are locked for Black Suit Multiball (and a general lack of instant info).

#21 4 years ago

Game play is great . It is the music and voice overs that I really do not like. Never did. But it is what it is. One of the reasons I love The Avengers is the top notch music and different tunes for each mode you are in . SM just lacks that kind of artistic draw .

#22 4 years ago

I understand, I doesn't do much for me either and I won't miss the game when I eventually get rid of it. I can't put my finger on any one thing, but your "cold" description applies to my sentiments. To me it is a game where if you add up all the parts, on paper it looks great. But in real life when I play it, it just doesn't mesh with me. It is probably a combination of the music, callouts, sounds, and the rules not being as intuitive (to me) as some games.

I hang on to mine because it is popular at my location. If it weren't for that, I'd have sold it a long time ago. When it is back at home I rarely ever play it. In fact, I may not even set it up next time it comes back home.

#23 4 years ago

>is Spidy too "cold"?

Only when it's been in cold storage in Illinois.

rd.

#24 4 years ago

Spidey is for me one of the best or maybe even the best pinball ever made.
Already have it for 3 years and still happy to play. Great theme integration and top notch sound calls, not to big of a fan on the "distorted" rock music theme, but nothing is perfect right.

The rules are outstanding and I still haven't mad it to super herro, and it will not leave my collection before I get there, so it will be in the collection for thext 11 years and three months

@ the dude:
If you don't like the blurry dmd put a colordmd in and set it to sigma uscpaling, all I can say WOW the details you will see in the movie scenes is fantastic and to me it feels like playing a whole new game again.

#25 4 years ago

I am love SM,Best pin ever made!!!

#26 4 years ago

When I turn SM on, it reminds that it deserves a whole lotta love. Total package, it is the best Stern pin ever made. I have SM, Lotr Le and Ac/dc.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Chuckie:

@ the dude:
If you don't like the blurry dmd put a colordmd in and set it to sigma uscpaling, all I can say WOW the details you will see in the movie scenes is fantastic and to me it feels like playing a whole new game again.

Thanks for the info. Once SM returns to the lineup (which it will eventually) I will definitely be putting in a colordmd.

#28 4 years ago

So I've had this for about 3 weeks. I'm getting a little bored of the main play. Sandman and Goblin, meh, they just happen, I don't really go for them. The rest just seems like the same game over and over.

However, and a big however, I have been to Super Hero three times now, and this wizard is very intricate and cool. I play this game with the sole intent of getting to it, as it is very long and hard to complete. I got the furthest I have last night, and was around 120m for that alone.

#29 4 years ago

Spiderman is (imho) Sterns best pin. It doesn't have the best callouts, LOTR has that, but it is an incredibly fun shooting and polished offering from Stern.

It's a tough call, because when you're talking best of the best LOTR and TSPP are right there too.

#30 4 years ago

I had a LOTR le and loved it it is an amazing game. I traded it for a spiderman and can say I prefer the spiderman. Everyone that comes over also prefers spiderman

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

So I've had this for about 3 weeks. I'm getting a little bored of the main play. Sandman and Goblin, meh, they just happen, I don't really go for them. The rest just seems like the same game over and over.

However, and a big however, I have been to Super Hero three times now, and this wizard is very intricate and cool. I play this game with the sole intent of getting to it, as it is very long and hard to complete. I got the furthest I have last night, and was around 120m for that alone.

Wow you must be a great player,I have had SM for 4 years and have not reached super hero yet.
Definately not boring!Still have more fun playing SM than any other pin and I have played most of the top 100 a lot.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from scooter:

Wow you must be a great player,I have had SM for 4 years and have not reached super hero yet.
Definately not boring!Still have more fun playing SM than any other pin and I have played most of the top 100 a lot.

I find it's all about stacking and playing modes with MB's. I first unlight all the required shots for a mode, but don't start, then lock two balls, and get doc ock started, start MB, when then start blacksuit. From there on out, I tried to load up another MB before starting another mode, pick off venom with the upper shots, and again sandman and goblin more or less just "happen" with MB's.

I do enjoy battle royale as well, that's cool. The modes are ho hum though. I like the daily news or whatever it is, and bonesaw is my fav (I'm sure it is with most). I love having to start the wizard with the spidey sense shot... man when on ball three and on the doorstep to this, it's a nervous shot!

I prefer by a long shot though LOTR, TSPP, ACDC and even WPT to it. All games feel very similar.

#33 4 years ago

Scooter, here's something to try to increase the odds of seeing Super Hero. Do nothing but destroy villains. Use every ball save timer and multiball to attack Goblin (he's probably going to be the hardest one to clear). Pick up the extra ball after you beat each villain once. Forget the modes for a few minutes and keep destroying villains. When you cycle through them all, you can get a second extra ball for beating each villain the fourth time.

Now that you've got two extra balls, go to work on the modes. Time them out if you want/need to reach the wizard mode. I'm not saying all that's easy, but it's easier with that second extra ball.

Here's the real cool thing. Once Super Hero ends, all progress clears, and you can start this same process over again. With the standard rule set, games with 6 or more balls is possible. I call this strategy "Sinister Six Ball".

#34 4 years ago

I don't know, going for goblin without a MB is very risky on a snappy game. As I said, I let that just occur with MB's.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I don't know, going for goblin without a MB is very risky on a snappy game. As I said, I let that just occur with MB's.

Agreed. I was just saying only attempt it in multiball, or single ball while the ball saver is still on.

#36 4 years ago

Ahh missed that!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 279.95
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Redding, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 14.95
5,350 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
New Athens, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 399.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Halethorpe, MARYLAND
$ 1,000.00
Trade
Sale Pending!
Madison, WI
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 64.00
$ 25.50

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside