(Topic ID: 173473)

Is " Sparkle" the same cleaner PDI sells?

By MK6PIN

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by SealClubber
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

sparkle MSDS 2 (resized).JPG
    sparkle MSDS 1 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1327 (resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

I know that any non ammonia glass cleaner should be ok for my PDI, but I swear the stuff that they sell cleans better than a brand such as "Sparkle" . Has a different smell, and seems to just work better.

I'm quite sure Joey doesn't make this stuff, so what is in the magic blue bottle?

#2 3 years ago

Is the liquid purple? Sparkle is distinctly purple hued.

#3 3 years ago

Check the MSDS of both items.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Check the MSDS of both items.

Sorry for my ignorance ....what is "MSDS"?

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from weaselfest:

Is the liquid purple? Sparkle is distinctly purple hued.

No, it's more clear in nature. The PDI is in an unmarked bottle, no way to identify the ingredients. Has a distinctive smell (pleasant). Convinced it's not " sparkle" .....ideas?

#6 3 years ago

Material Safety Data Sheet. a federally required document for any chemical agent. Should show hazards, handling and storage information and maybe basic components, but I'm not sure it's enough to tell a specific chemical formulation. Definitely a good place to start a comparison, though.

#7 3 years ago

PDI is $32.00 for a small bottle...gotta break this code.....

#8 3 years ago

Yes, if it isn't purple, it isn't Sparkle. By law, there should be a MSDS available.
    Good luck on finding a formulation.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from weaselfest:

Yes, if it isn't purple, it isn't Sparkle. By law, there should a MSDS available.
    Good luck on finding a formulation.

It's nowhere on the bottle ( I'm sure on purpose)...highly doubt Joey would provide ( he might not even know) even if he had it ( trade secret, I'm sure)....

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

PDI is $32.00 for a small bottle...gotta break this code.....

before it breaks you!....sheesh $32? Stuff better spray and wipe itself and repel dust for a year at that price.

#11 3 years ago

What other options are you guys using on your PDI? It has an actual optical coating on it, so not crazy about experimenting too much....Sparkle works, but looking for options...maybe I stumble upon the secret mix...

#12 3 years ago

trade secret or not, if somebody wanted to take the time to make a stink of it, he'd have to produce a MSDS. Don't think there are exceptions for small quantities, just lack of oversight.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from weaselfest:

before it breaks you!....sheesh $32? Stuff better spray and wipe itself and repel dust for a year at that price.

Exactly!!!!....

#14 3 years ago

Costs more than the Bourbon I drink, by volume

IMG_1327 (resized).JPG

To be fair, he includes a pair of cotton gloves and a small microfiber cloth, but geesh

#15 3 years ago

Anything optical I don't use anymore than distilled water and Kimberly Clark Kimwipes, which I procure from the world of fiber optics maintenance. If it needs serious cleaning, I'll step it up to 100% denatured alcohol, but only if I know for sure it is uncoated glass. Always lightly moistening the cleaning tissue, never applying liquid directly to the optical surface.

#16 3 years ago

most "flat screen" cleaners are 1% alcohol solution with distilled water. I wouldn't go past 10% if I was unsure of the optical coating.

#17 3 years ago

The MSDS should give you the basic ingredients by percentage. I can't get PDFs to open on my work computer for some reason.
    What is the name of the PDI glass cleaner?

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from weaselfest:

most "flat screen" cleaners are 1% alcohol solution with distilled water. I wouldn't go past 10% if I was unsure of the optical coating.

Now that I read this, I think it is alcohol I'm smelling.....standard rubbing variety?

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

The MSDS should give you the basic ingredients by percentage. I can't get PDFs to open on my work computer for some reason.

Where would I look ?

#20 3 years ago

search for Sparkle Glass Cleaner MSDS a bunch of links show up.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Now that I read this, I think it is alcohol I'm smelling.....standard rubbing variety?

I've always been told by the BICSI and Corning folks you don't want to use rubbing alcohol, there are other aromatics and who knows what else, up to 10% of the contents. If you are trying to concoct your own formula, I'd start with 100% denatured alcohol.

#22 3 years ago

sparkle MSDS 1 (resized).JPG

sparkle MSDS 2 (resized).JPG

#23 3 years ago

Invisiglass used to (or still does) come with instructions to use Sparkle or 1/2 distilled water & 1/2 Isopropyl Alcohol. That could be what the cleaner is if it is clear but I have no idea.

#24 3 years ago

If you ask they have to produce a MSDS but... they do not to list the ingredients just effects of the chemicals (trade secret). Every single chemical in my shop has to have a MSDS in the book. Sometimes it's crazy. MSDS for water... is that really necessary?

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

What is the name of the PDI glass cleaner?

It's simply called "PDI glass cleaner" on the label:

http://pinballdecals.com/NonGlareOpticalGlassPage.html

Quoted from TomGWI:

Invisiglass used to (or still does) come with instructions to use Sparkle or 1/2 distilled water & 1/2 Isopropyl Alcohol. That could be what the cleaner is if it is clear but I have no idea.

Invisiglass doesn't have the optical coating on it ( I have both, and there is substantial difference) you can actually " feel" the coating on the PDI ( similar to when you clean your eyeglasses), an ever so slight " adhesion" feel when you clean it

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

It's simply called "PDI glass cleaner" on the label:
    http://pinballdecals.com/NonGlareOpticalGlassPage.html

Invisiglass doesn't have the optical coating on it ( I have both, and there is substantial difference) you can actually " feel" the coating on the PDI ( similar to when you clean your eyeglasses), an ever so slight " adhesion" feel when you clean it

Really ? thats funny i have both right beside one another and not any huge difference between the 2 imo . Pretty sure both have the coating which is why its so clear.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Really thats funny i have both and not any huge difference between the 2 imo . Pretty sure both have the coating which is why its so clear.

I keep telling myself that, but I'm really OCD in some details, and the coatings are definitely different. Invisiglass may have a coating, but definitely not the same as PDI, and for me, it's the top dog.

I've left the invisiglass in my WOZ, as I can't justify paying more ( machine came with it), but there is definitely a difference.

( not looking to debate this beat to death topic, just want to know what the hell is in that spray bottle, it works better than anything I've used)

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

they do not to list the ingredients just effects of the chemicals (trade secret). Every single chemical in my shop has to have a MSDS in the book.

Probably right. I haven't looked at many of them since my HAZMAT class over a decade ago.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 7.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 160.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Lit Frames
    $ 29.99
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 27.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 1,099.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 14.95
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinfarmer Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5,999.99
    $ 11.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 7,500.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside