5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Sinestro
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

This randomly popped into my head last night and I thought it would make for an interesting discussion. With most EM games at 40+ years old at this point, I feel like they are seen as the GENERALLY less popular/desirable and less expensive pinball machines, with the SS, DMD, and now LCD games obviously dominating location play and what (anecdotally) seems to be the majority of the collector market. With alot of the great SS games approaching that 40+ year mark in the next 5-10 years, will those games eventually head the way of EMs and become the "simpler" and inexpensive less desired games and come down in price? Will current SS guys eventually become "the EM guys" in a decade? Or will the pinball resurgence keep SS games popular and the prices and demand there/increasing? Not an EM bashing thread or "WILL PRICES FALL?!" thread - just an interesting thought I wanted to hear other people's opinions on .

#2 5 years ago

I don't think so, because SS games were made up until 1990 or so, and they have for the most part the modern playfields and gadgets that we see on DMD and LCD games. Some have clearcoat/DiamondPlate, which will keep them looking good for years to come. One thing that really struck me at PinFest was how many SS games had WAY better playfield layouts and mechs than almost any game. For example, Aerosmith has one or two cool mechs, Party zone has about 10! Even Rudy and the clock/magic mirror/trap door have yet to be really outshined.

#3 5 years ago

I think you need to break up SS somewhat. The late 70s SS definitely are simpler and less popular overall than the later ones when the manufacturers really started to compete and increase complexity. There's definitely also a major line in the mid 80s when games started to really add ramps, toys, etc.. Many early SS are basically just EMs with a computer, and I don't think they're any more desired than late EMs are.

New people to the hobby seem to not mind EMs the way many existing collectors do. I think many EMs (especially the more modern ones with 3" flippers and inlanes) are still getting more popular now as their '40 year' mark reaches its peak.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I think you need to break up SS somewhat. The late 70s SS definitely are simpler and less popular overall than the later ones when the manufacturers really started to compete and increase complexity. There's definitely also a major line in the mid 80s when games started to really add ramps, toys, etc.. Many early SS are basically just EMs with a computer, and I don't think they're any more desired than late EMs are.
    New people to the hobby seem to not mind EMs the way many existing collectors do. I think many EMs (especially the more modern ones with 3" flippers and inlanes) are still getting more popular now as their '40 year' mark reaches its peak.

Fair enough. Definitely intended it for a "fun" discussion, but point well taken and I think has alot of merit. What got me thinking about it was a Taxi project I'm finishing up and and how cool I think the game is. Then I was wondering...is my now 20 month old son going to think I'm the guy with a bunch of "old, boring" games in his basement like I've heard people around my age refer to their parents/acquaintances with EM games? The System 11 +/- era was more where my head was at...mid to late 80's.

#5 5 years ago

Zacaj nailed it. I know for me personally, when it boils down to simple games, I'd rather have a late model EM than an early SS. I just think they're simply more reliable, and easy to fix (for me anyway). Plus EM technology is damn cool.

Popular games will always be popular though. EMs like C37 and Atlantis are valued, and SS games like Centaur and Fathom are valued. I don't see them losing value any time soon.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Fair enough. Definitely intended it for a "fun" discussion, but point well taken and I think has alot of merit.

Oh yeah, I like the idea! Though I pictured it as earlier SS than later as they're the next era after EMs. There's definitely some sort of 'wave' of popularity as people who grew up with different eras of games finally get purchase in the market

Quoted from grantopia:

Then I was wondering...is my now 20 month old son going to think I'm the guy with a bunch of "old, boring" games in his basement like I've heard people around my age refer to their parents/acquaintances with EM games? The System 11 +/- era was more where my head was at...mid to late 80's.

I think there will be less of that than when you compare EMs with DMD, or whatever. System 11 games have all of the same concepts in them as modern games, just with less fidelity/etc.

There will always be people who just ignore old stuff though. Way too many people who refer to any single level game as an 'EM' and dismiss "EMs" out of hand.

Quoted from mbaumle:

Popular games will always be popular though. EMs like C37 and Atlantis are valued, and SS games like Centaur and Fathom are valued. I don't see them losing value any time soon.

I hope that's where we can get to. Regardless of era, there are some games that are just well made, popular games, and they should stay that way. The Bally/Stern classics have been going up in value a ton as people stop dismissing them for being SS, some to more expensive prices than some DMDs, and I expect regardless of where the pinball market as a whole goes, that they'll stay competitive with those DMDs

#7 5 years ago

No.

Early SS games have already been “the next EM.” Ask anybody who was picking up firepowers, flashes, and Stars projects for $200 back in the day.

Things have changed.

#8 5 years ago

All games made today are still SS.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-solid-state-the-next-em and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.