(Topic ID: 123279)

Is Shadow a good fit for average player?

By jawjaw

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ziz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

So, you have decent ball times when you play IM, huh. You are ready for The Shadow.

Ooooo......do I see a head to head IM challenge being laid on the table? Lol

#52 9 years ago

Scoring to me is secondary to advancing in the game. I have got some really high scores in ST without even making it that deep. I feel better when I make it deeper into the game with a lower score. Not sure that makes sense.

Quoted from someoneelse:This has "I need The Shadow" written all over it.
Especially having an "easy shooter" like ST next to it is a perfect setup. Love ST, by the way.

That's what got me interested in the first place. It seems like a game I would like but I have been fooled before by nice looking games. ST was the first game for me that looked really awesome and then played really awesome. I knew I was going to buy one from the first ball. Love getting huge combos and nailing the warp ramp over and over. Getaway is similar. Feels great to keep the ball moving and flying through the gears. Definitely looking forward to whatever the next Ritchie pin will be.

#53 9 years ago

It'll only make ya a better player.

#54 9 years ago

I bought shadow based on what others said about it.

2 years later, I can finally play it.

"meh" ... is the feeling I'm getting from it. I finished it after 5-10 games and I just couldn't believe I had it so easily.I've had Tron for 2 years and play it every other day and twice on sunday and CAN NOT finish it.

Reading the comments again here I'm tempted to keep it and "give it another chance" but I'm still "meh" about it and would probably trade it for hey, a fishtales or somethin'...

it was "underated" for so long for a reason ... and I know why now.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from Mrhide:

"meh" ... is the feeling I'm getting from it. I finished it after 5-10 games and I just couldn't believe I had it so easily.I've had Tron for 2 years and play it every other day and twice on sunday and CAN NOT finish it.
Reading the comments again here I'm tempted to keep it and "give it another chance" but I'm still "meh" about it and would probably trade it for hey, a fishtales or somethin'...

If it's too easy for you open the outlanes and/or make it steeper. Problem solved.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from Mrhide:

You are saying that it's meh because it is too easy? Now Fishtails is the game I would call hard. Love it but it's brutal.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Now Fishtails is the game I would call hard.

Had a fish tales ,yes great game but way easier than shadow by a mile.

#58 9 years ago

The Shadow is an amazing game. Many things I would say about it have already been mentioned, but I'll add that I think it's a game you can grow in to. By that I mean, if you aren't a blackbelt in pinfu you can have a very fun time with it and as you improve you can incorporate more of the features and dig deeper into the rules.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Scoring to me is secondary to advancing in the game. I have got some really high scores in ST without even making it that deep. I feel better when I make it deeper into the game with a lower score. Not sure that makes sense.

I'm a mediocre player at best and Shadow is my first (and still only) pin. Have never regretted it. As people have said here, you can adjust the game to play longer if you like (tighten the out lanes, extend ball save time, award extra balls). And adjusting the upper flipper to direct loop shots into the scene-start/Kahn multiball hole allows you to more easily advance through the modes. I'm not ashamed to admit that I've done all of these and enjoy reasonably long and fulfilling games.

I would say that if you're a purist about maintaining standard (or tough) settings, or if you want a game that you can regularly beat with modest skills, this is not the game for you. Otherwise, I'd have no problem recommending it to even a beginner that's really into pinball and wants to improve his skills on a fun and challenging machine.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

Had a Fish Tales ,yes great game but way easier than Shadow by a mile.

I had one too...glad to see it gone! Had a good video mode and I liked the music but the scoring was so unbalanced.

#61 9 years ago

I played a game last night and focused on the left loop > Shadow loop combo (Bowen recommended tourney strategy) and ended up with a 2Billion + score. I got to Final Battle without even really trying for it but screwed that up and was left with 5 shots remaining) Full disclosure I did earn 3 extra balls during the game earned by completing the Battlefield, video mode and 3 x successive Shadow loops

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

Had a fish tales ,yes great game but way easier than shadow by a mile.

Depends on how they are set up my ft is crazy fast and difficult

#63 9 years ago

FT is one of the toughest games from the 90s. That guy must have closed off the I lanes and replaced the lightning flips with regular ones.

#64 9 years ago

The Shadow was very high on my list of wanted games (mostly from what I had read on Pinside) until I got to play one. It was a fast and fun game, but Judge Dredd won out for me. I definitely advise playing one before you buy.

#65 9 years ago

Yea im so glad I kept my jd its a real winner in my book glad its finally getting the love it deserves

#66 9 years ago

Can anyone confirm the spec for me for the shadow mini playfield motor? It should be listed on the gear box of the motor and is 4 digits. Thanks.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from Alamo_Pin:

The Shadow was very high on my list of wanted games (mostly from what I had read on Pinside) until I got to play one. It was a fast and fun game, but Judge Dredd won out for me. I definitely advise playing one before you buy.

I have not seen a JD either but don't like the theme, music, and art. I would like to play one but doubt I would ever buy one. I would like to get a FT someday. Not sure why but always liked that one.

#68 9 years ago

I'm not a great player, but I've owned TS for a couple weeks and love it. I want hard games in my collection. Even so, I've found Shadow challenging but not frustrating. It took me a few games to get comfortable using the diverters and the upper playfield is still challenging for me (probably because I have my game set up a little steep & just waxed). Some of the newer stern games are equally difficult if not more so IMHO. Walking Dead is what I would call frustratingly difficult, whereas the drains on The Shadow feel a little more fair (like missing a ramp shot, or going for a close-range MONGOL target).

The multiballs are not particularly hard to get, but keeping them in play is difficult, which is a positive for re-playability in my opinion. The game gives you a lot of tastes of success.

Generally, I would say the diverters keep the game from being completely accessible for beginners, but for average or better players, The Shadow is awesome.

1 month later
#69 8 years ago

Bump....any advice on what to look for condition wise when looking for a Shadow?

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Bump....any advice on what to look for condition wise when looking for a Shadow?

Sanctum wear. Not missing any of the rings and Mongol figures. The brick wall drop target can be a PITA, so if it's working properly that's a plus.

#71 8 years ago

Shadow is a very good game for any skill level. It can be tough, but not in a frustrating way. If you make good shots, you'll do well. If you make poor shots, you get drained.

As for stuff to look out for when buying; Sanctum wear is almost always present. If it creates a deep divot, it can mess with the magnet and multiball modes. Even if you're not good at playfield repair, you can fill the hole with epoxy and cover with a sticker so this usually isn't too bad a flaw. Lift up the playfield and make sure both diverter brackets are present and in good condition. If they break, you could probably get a welder to repair it, but if it's missing, you are going to have a very, very hard time finding a replacement.

Real nice ones are going for around 2800. I'd start there and adjust down for wear, broken stuff. Hope that helps

#72 8 years ago

I just set mine up to go straight to the Kahn hole off the loop. It is easier, but it makes sense that it was part of the design. You get extra rewards for starting modes off the right hole because of the Who Knows and the Extra Ball, seems intentional to give a bonus for starting the mode the hard way. The Kahn light is lit so often that it actually prevents starting modes from the Kahn hole a lot of the time. Especially if I have Duel of Wills set up and I want to start it I find that I am forced to shoot the right hole anyway because Kahn multiball is lit and I want that mode over the multiball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-shadow-a-good-fit-for-average-player/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.