Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Butch2099
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago

isnt telling people that the item is for sale outside of ebay or trying to make that sale outside of ebay and using their free advertising against their policy..... wont they take the ad down.... i do know what you guys are talking about though i sold a tredmill once, buyer paid cash and i never had to deal with him again..... he was pleasant not complaining about him. im just saying selling directly through ebay opens you up to being responsible for and repairs after sale... no such thing as a warranty on a pinball machine.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from Jackster:

If you're really motivated to sell it, throw it on ebay starting at a buck with no reserve and let the chips fly.

Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

The price is the problem. The market is telling you "We are not willing to pay $2000 for that game". Think about it...post it for $100 and it will be sold in seconds, regardless the theme.

Citing the lack of interest, it would appear to be priced too high to sell in any venue. You can wait it out, drop asking price, rinse, repeat...

If you have run out of patience to do that - then use EBay in auction mode as suggested and it will certainly sell. In an auction, you start with a large market of buyers and work backwards, whittling down the number of buyers until you have one who's willing to pay the most.

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from aveamike:

When I sell a game, I price it to move quickly.
A data east game like that or Rocky and bullwinkle are 1,000$ games in a local market, if you want to sell them in 2 weeks.
Simpsons, 1200$. Maybe 1300.

Let me know when you've got your next R&B for sale at $1000 - I'll take it!

#54 9 years ago

Smaller auction houses may be another option for you. One I follow a little bit is capitolonlineauctions.com - they mostly get restaurant and inflatables auctions, but sometimes have pinballs. When they have pinballs they seem to sell for premium and interestingly, the auctioneer attaches the fee onto the buyer above their winning bid. So, if they bid 1800, you get 1800 and the buyer pays 1800 + auction fee. Compare to the eBay model where the seller pays the fees and I think you will like.

Agree with some earlier posts that you need to fix the DMD because you want to appeal to the "plug and play" buyers; otherwise you are targeting smaller audiences - the fix-up crowd and the part-out crowd. These two groups value your machine differently than the "plug and play" buyers... you seem to want the "plug and play" price.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets

#55 9 years ago

Location seems to be a killer.

#56 9 years ago

IMHO selling a high dollar (let's say over $1000) item on eBay is probably not a good idea if you are an inexperienced e-bay seller.

Although I don't sell on eBay, I would not be afraid to do it for smaller items.

With Pinside and other pinball communities you probably have your target customers better lined up to see your ads right here than on eBay.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from ad356:

isnt telling people that the item is for sale outside of ebay or trying to make that sale outside of ebay and using their free advertising against their policy..... wont they take the ad down

Probably, if they find out you're doing it. Don't actually say in the listing that you want to sell independently of Fraudbay, just include a Best Offer option, make it clear that the listed price is much higher than you expect to actually get, and include your contact details in the listing. Recommend that people personally inspect the game before they make an offer. When they contact you in person (not via Ebay's email system) let them know you want to sell away from Ebay.

If you're really worried about breaching Fraudbay's policies, tell anyone who contacts you that the reason the price is so high is to cover fees and the potential for scammers/refund demands (since this is open ended you haven't specified how much you've inflated the price by), and that they can contact you after the listing ends to see if you've still got the game. Once they do, name your price. Ebay would have to look pretty deep into their terms and conditions to find something to get you on this way.

#58 9 years ago

I have sold many pins and high dollar games on eBay. As a seller-I don't like ebay and pay pal. High fees from them and also in most cases the buyer is too far away to see or pick up the game. Even with games in great shape you can have problems. The upside is the exposure. You almost allways will sell a game if priced correctly to condition. Craigslist is the worst! Half price offers and no shows. Only upside is if you do get a legitimate buyer it's cash and carry.

#59 9 years ago

I used to sell on Ebay, but I am going to try to avoid them in the future. They no longer protect sellers at all. For example, I sold an item for $19.99 with free shipping. The guy got the item and demanded a full refund. His reason was that "he no longer needed it and wanted it to go back". I sent him a response and said I would refund him what he paid for the item minus the shipping cost. I had no idea that just responding to his request opened a return on the item. To make a long story short, he sent the item back and I lost the amount it cost me to ship it to him because Ebay doesn't allow partial refunds in that situation. I'm done with them!

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Probably, if they find out you're doing it. Don't actually say in the listing that you want to sell independently of Fraudbay, just include a Best Offer option, make it clear that the listed price is much higher than you expect to actually get, and include your contact details in the listing. Recommend that people personally inspect the game before they make an offer. When they contact you in person (not via Ebay's email system) let them know you want to sell away from Ebay.
If you're really worried about breaching Fraudbay's policies, tell anyone who contacts you that the reason the price is so high is to cover fees and the potential for scammers/refund demands (since this is open ended you haven't specified how much you've inflated the price by), and that they can contact you after the listing ends to see if you've still got the game. Once they do, name your price. Ebay would have to look pretty deep into their terms and conditions to find something to get you on this way.

I'll add to this that if you do sell it outside while the auction is still running you can't just cancel the auction. You have to jack the price to something no one would ever pay and shorten the legnth of the auction if there are a lot of days left.
Also be aware if someone sent you an offer and you counter offered, that counter offer will stand even if you jack the original price up. I had that happen to me & I had to honor the Ebay sale. Luckily the off-Ebay guy was very understanding.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-selling-on-ebay-a-mistake/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.