20200928_215432 (resized).jpg
alice1 (resized).jpg
4E457E53-6605-4DE7-BB19-5F5E15430DA6 (resized).jpeg
Captain (resized).jpg
MCB_Sample (resized).png
v4wh7 (resized).jpg
20191005_221535 (resized).jpg
20191005_221911 (resized).jpg
There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 3 years ago

I see alot of negative reviews and the price is dropping weekly it seems. I have never played it but am a huge Rob Zombie fan since the White Zombie days. I have seen videos of play and rules and I have to say it looks pretty boring to me. I really want to like it, but it doesn't look fun. Since I haven't actually played it that's why I'm asking if it really is that bad...

#2 3 years ago

I like the rules a lot but the layout is just not fun to shoot.

Putting all those slings on the outsides of the game definitely makes the ball action chaotic, but that was a swing and a miss imo.

Plunging straight into a pop bumper isn’t fun either. I get why they did that, and the idea for that 3 part skill shot is cool, but just isn’t fun.

So while I enjoy playing it a few times every time I come across it, I just don’t like the shots so it limits the fun I get out of it.

This is a perfect game to do a temporary trade with a friend imo.

#3 3 years ago

I didn't think it was that bad when I owned it. It does need some extra lighting, and few tweaks to make the upper playfield switches reliable. I liked the game, the music, the art and the attitude. Is it the best game ever, no. But it is fun for what it is. It is hard which probably turns some people off who just like to play it safe on fan layouts and guaranteed ball returns.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead76:

I see alot of negative reviews and the price is dropping weekly it seems. I have never played it but am a huge Rob Zombie fan since the White Zombie days. I have seen videos of play and rules and I have to say it looks pretty boring to me. I really want to like it, but it doesn't look fun. Since I haven't actually played it that's why I'm asking if it really is that bad...

Agree totally. I'm a big Rob Zombie as well. I wanted to like this title SO MUCH, but just can't see paying over 4K for a pin that looks this empty. I've played it a couple times and was "ok" but i can't see myself ever buying one unless it was about 3K.

#5 3 years ago

I enjoy playing it whenever I get a chance at a show. It has a very different and non-traditional layout. Some of the shots are more on the difficult side as well. It is a fast game and a drain monster. But I think that is why I like it, because it is different. Unfortunately, I'm not a Rob Zombie fan and there is no way I could have this machine in the house without my wife getting really mad. So, because of theme, I will never own one. But I would like to own one for a while to get some serious games on one.

#6 3 years ago

I'm a Rob Zombie fan; more when I was younger, but still a fan. I actually kinda liked the non-traditional layout and I had tweaked mine until it was playing well. I just never liked the rules much. I felt like there were too many modes that were just shoot the ramp repeatedly. Like others, I really wanted to like it, but ended up selling it for a big loss.

#7 3 years ago

Yes

#8 3 years ago

To each their own. I like this game a lot. A couple modes are very similar and it's definitely an early Spooky game from layout to the code, but it's way deeper than many pins out there. I am a fan of games that are different and integrate theme well. I like to say it's a bone crushing game, which works well for Rob Zombie. Take a shot and play it. Just because a video and other peoples comments deter you, doesn't mean it's a bad game. I just sold 18 pins last week and Rob Zombie was not one of them.

#9 3 years ago

I really like the game took me a while to buy one due to all the negative reviews as well. Happy I did finally buy one I really enjoy the game it's fast and all the slings make it challenging.

#10 3 years ago

It's actually a good game and worth owning one especially if your a Ron Zombie fan. The only bad thing is how dark the playfield is. Get the pinstadium lighting kit is a gamechanger. I believe it was Logan's arcade who added the lighting so you can see the playfield and quarter drop went up big time.The rules are solid and its a unique challenging layout. I haven't owned one to go deep in the rules but it's on my wish list someday.

#11 3 years ago

It has a bad reputation because it's a non-traditional layout, and people don't like non-traditional layouts. I enjoy playing it when I get the chance. The playfield is dark but that can be corrected with a couple well placed spot lights. The shots are fine. The orbits can be a bit tough to find.

As far as the theme goes, I'm indifferent to it. I like the maturity of the theme, so if you have kids or anyone that might be sensitive to nudity, gore, and language, it might not be suitable. It is definitely not family friendly.

At the current market price, I have toyed around with bringing one into the house. I have young kids though (4 and 6), and they do play pinball, so this probably wouldn't work until they get much older.

#12 3 years ago

Love the theme and music and nothing against Charlie but it’s a terrible terrible design.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

...a pin that looks this empty

A barren game indeed, but they don't all look so empty

20191005_221911 (resized).jpg20191005_221911 (resized).jpg20191005_221535 (resized).jpg20191005_221535 (resized).jpg
#14 3 years ago
Quoted from gecko157:

Love the theme and music and nothing against Charlie but it’s a terrible terrible design.

I agree. I want to say each Spooky title is getting better and better though. You can not even try to compare AMH to R&M

#15 3 years ago

It’s bad, I see it’s priced like most Stern pro pins it’s hard to justify it over a Stern pro unless you want something very different flavor. I can say that’s the main appeal of the game that it’s not another cookie cutter pin but I’d go for TNA for something different to the collection.

#16 3 years ago

I really wanted to love mine. Had it for a couple years, sold for a big loss.

#17 3 years ago

How much was it new? I recall they sold out quickly or was that just the limited edition version??

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

A barren game indeed, but they don't all look so empty
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah, much better. Was the only way i'd consider getting one. IF it was modded out like this example.

#19 3 years ago

like many pins, I am still hoping it gets improved by code. I own it and believe that it can be quite good. Needs improvements to rules though. Stern tweaks code years later. Go Spooky Go! You should too!

#20 3 years ago

As others have pointed out - it’s just not fun enough for the price that is generally asked. That doesn’t make it NOT fun, but since you can get a Judge Dredd or DM for way less, and those games are more fun (certainly more in the playfield - JD especially) so it just doesn’t make sense. If you could get one for $3k I think it would be more highly regarded.

#21 3 years ago

One if the best audio packages ever in pinball with great rules. The wacky layout would be terrible in a one pin collection, but in my 10 game lineup it is a fun change of pace. Putting time in on it and having it in home with a proper setup is crucial. The game does not show well when you play the game a few times on route or a show.....I quite disliked the game until I played one at length in a home collection.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

How much was it new? I recall they sold out quickly or was that just the limited edition version??

The regular version was $6k new + there were some factory installed mods that most people got that were another $300. Shipping was on top of that. Both the LE (which I think was 50), and the regular version (which was an addition 250 games) sold out quickly before anyone really saw or played them. Prior to shipping and when the early ones shipped people sold their spots at a profit. Once the game became more available and people played the game, the hype died and prices plummeted.

The game had layout issues as others have mentioned: For me the main thing was the ramp was a really easy repeatable shot and the upper playfield wasn't any fun.

Mine had light matrix issues out of the box. All the early games the tilt (most annoying) but also other switches would just go off at what seemed to be random times for now reason because of the 3.3V signals and the way the cables were routed. I fixed those issues and sold it at a loss. Spooky was smart to go with PROC boards in future games.

#23 3 years ago

It's a fun pin. Not a bad value at $4k. I doubt they'll dip any lower.

#24 3 years ago

I really enjoyed mine. Medisinyl’s mods were a must to fill out the game, though, and after market lighting was mandatory.

The code was good and House of 1000 Corpses was unique. My biggest issue was the lack of ‘flow.’ Once you plunged the ball, it was total chaos. Ball control was the inherently difficult even under the best circumstances.

I’d own it again because of the theme and art. It’s a fun game.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

It's a fun pin. Not a bad value at $4k. I doubt they'll dip any lower.

Sucks to be first owner at $7-8K after delivery and mods.

What’ll happen to R&M price do you guys think?

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Sucks to be first owner at $7-8K with delivery and mods.

Only time will tell but it will most likely take a hit from original price just like any NIB game these days. More so for the peeps that paid a premium for a spot or early game.

#27 3 years ago

RZ stinks.

Hard to believe people were successfully scalping these above face value.

Hard to believe people would do the same thing again with R&M but pinball people tend to be slow learners.

#28 3 years ago

Flame suit on - I think RZ is the worst modern pin out there by a domestic manufacturer. I applaud designers that try new things, but this misses on so many levels.

1) The right two "orbits" are so janky. Usually orbit rails are curved to the ball on it's incoming path. That right orbit's rail is flat and at an angle to the shot meaning it's going to deaden part of the ball's momentum and be reject city. Nothing in the game is a smooth or good feeling shot.

2) The 1-2-3 Super Skill Shot is impossible and not even fun. Soft plunging to the 1 is hard enough and 99% of the time won't bounce to 2. It's also not intuitive to a new player as most progressing lights during a skill shot mean to time it. Not on RZ. It's telling you to hit 1, then 2, then 3. But you can time a hard plunge to 3, hit 3 when lit, and not get jack. WTF? The DMD should tell you what to do.

3) You can shoot the "Start Mode" on the left orbit, and a mode doesn't start. WTF?!?!? You apparently have to get it in a saucer up there which isn't a guarantee.

4) The upper PF sucks. Nothing to do, unless you're one of those types who go crazy for rollover switches in open spaces!

5) "ADD A BALL NICE. YOU GOTTA SHOOT EVERYTHING TWICE!"

There's a running gag in our league that if I get assigned that game, there's a silence in the room so you can hear the steam coming from my head. I always offer the owners to bring it out to the curb on trash day.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

same thing, it will hit rock bottom.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

RZ stinks.
Hard to believe people were successfully scalping these above face value.
Hard to believe people would do the same thing again with R&M but pinball people tend to be slow learners.

I remember an early RZ selling for $9k, crazy.

#31 3 years ago

I can’t say that spooky makes a good product.

I’ve played all of their titles, except for Jetson’s and R&M

Clunky, bad designs and high rate of failure and needed to be reset due to software freezing.

I know people think they are great, and to each their own, but I wouldn’t recommend them.

#32 3 years ago

I like it . But I understand why some people don’t . Only way for you to find out if it’s a game you will enjoy is play it .

#33 3 years ago

YES and good luck trying to sell it once your done with it

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

same thing, it will hit rock bottom.

yep, said this from get go

#35 3 years ago

I hated it.... and I love the people at Spooky! The game just seems clunky and ill-designed. To me it looked more like a homebrew game and it was the first time that person had ever tried their hand at making a game.

#36 3 years ago
v4wh7 (resized).jpgv4wh7 (resized).jpg
#37 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I think prices will hold up well for R&M. If you're going to compare it to other Spooky games I think it has way more in common with TNA than RZ. TNA prices have held up rather well and that's without the benefit of a killer licensed theme.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I think prices will hold up well for R&M. If you're going to compare it to other Spooky games I think it has way more in common with TNA than RZ. TNA prices have held up rather well and that's without the benefit of a killer licensed theme.

One difference between TNA and other recent Spooky titles (RZ, R&M, and ACNC) is that TNA production was never limited. The others (ACNC, RZ, and R&M) are licensed themes that had huge hype at launch and people scalping early spots and games at a profit. There was never any fear of missing out on TNA so the value was based more on people's perception of the game itself rather than its limited production. Demand for TNA also grew organically as people saw or played the game. R&M sold out before buyers saw anything.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from Jigs:

Clunky, bad designs and high rate of failure and needed to be reset due to software freezing.
I know people think they are great, and to each their own, but I wouldn’t recommend them.

Total bs.

My TNA and ACNC have had zero issues plus the best playfields of any manufacturer lately.
These two games have been the go to games in my lineup for a while. Absolutely love both of them.

#40 3 years ago

We see again that limited edition mean nothing unless the game itself is great.

WWE and Mustang are low runs and not worth a lot.

Tron LE or jjp Potc have low numbers and great gameplay.

#41 3 years ago

Not BS.

The RZ I played was at their booth at SFGE and Charlie and his wife were there resetting it when it locked up.

I could not get a full game of TNA or ACNC at Pinball Palace without the software locking up.

I feel like the games play clunky.

Totally true.

I'm glad your experience is different and you enjoy the games.

#42 3 years ago

TNA is not clunky it’s just doesn’t have a lot of shots.

Mine has never locked up either but there can be software issues depending on the version.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from Jigs:

Not sure what early code versions of TNA and ACNC were played that were "locking up", but that definitely is not the case anymore and has not been for quite some time. Both of these games are great and are very well made. They are not easy games, but I would not call them "clunky". They may turn some people off on location just due to their difficulty (and from what I hear, R&M is even harder), but in the home environment where you can really learn the games and put some quality time on them, they truly shine and are very well made.

Quoted from gliebig:

Total bs.
My TNA and ACNC have had zero issues plus the best playfields of any manufacturer lately.
These two games have been the go to games in my lineup for a while. Absolutely love both of them.

This...

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from Jigs:

Not BS.
The RZ I played was at their booth at SFGE and Charlie and his wife were there resetting it when it locked up.
I could not get a full game of TNA or ACNC at Pinball Palace without the software locking up.
I feel like the games play clunky.
Totally true.
I'm glad your experience is different and you enjoy the games.

I’m assuming they had some beta code in it and were working through issues. If that was the case probably not the best idea as it doesn’t give people good feelings about your product.

My RZ is number 296 and has played great. I had to replace a couple switches that went bad but no terrible trouble and haven’t had to reset my game.

I go back and forth with the game. Some days I’m just ready to sell it and move on then I’ll have a bunch of fun with it.

It is not your typical game. Virtually no flow to it at all but it is VERY challenging if you enjoy that in a game.

#45 3 years ago

Played Rob Zombie a few times, hope to see the playfield someday. Just need to bring my halogen worklights and clamp them to the ceiling.

Don C

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from Don_C:

Played Rob Zombie a few times, hope to see the playfield someday. Just need to bring my halogen worklights and clamp them to the ceiling.
Don C

you can just borrow a set from the guys who put colored LED's in their GI's, i'm sure they keep headlamps standard. Unless they don't play their games. Which I have a sneaky suspicion, many that do that....don't.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you can just borrow a set from the guys who put colored LED's in their GI's, i'm sure they keep headlamps standard. Unless they don't play their games. Which I have a sneaky suspicion, many that do that....don't.

Actually the colored GI in RZ came from spooky. That game is the worst stock lit game I’ve ever seen.

#48 3 years ago

I actually checked for other photos of the PF, because until the photos in the earlier part of the thread, I was completely unaware of the sexy witch on the broom. I though he added it.

Don C.

#49 3 years ago

Early in the RZ release cycle a couple of PinSide ‘influencers’, self appointed experts in all things pinball, decided that for whatever reason, they could somehow build themselves up by tearing down this game. This phase was quickly followed by a number of reviews from people that had played a game or two at a show, on a machine with ridiculously early code. And thus the PinSide groupthink on all things Rob Zombie was born.

As one of the original 300, in from the very beginning, I have more games on this table than all but the very smallest group of players.

No it’s not a fan layout. That is one of the things that really appeals to me.

Yeah, it’s a fairly dark game. That fits perfectly with the dark theme. It’s no darker than the illumination on the early SS games that I grew up with and love.

While I have read about physical issues on some small number of Spooky pins, mine arrived dialed in, and has been remarkably dependable.

I sort of get it. There are games that never clicked for me, too. Some of these are very prominent in the top 100. So what? How does that hurt me? I’ll just go play the ones that I do enjoy. I just don’t get the gleeful negativity that follows this title.

#50 3 years ago

I own and love a South Park, so blast away!!!!!!!!!!

All pinball are beautiful, even non-working Bally home models.

Don C.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Wanted
$ 7,700.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
5,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods

There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-rob-zombie-really-that-bad?hl=theadicts77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.