20200928_215432 (resized).jpg
alice1 (resized).jpg
4E457E53-6605-4DE7-BB19-5F5E15430DA6 (resized).jpeg
Captain (resized).jpg
MCB_Sample (resized).png
v4wh7 (resized).jpg
20191005_221535 (resized).jpg
20191005_221911 (resized).jpg
There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

I don't know what switches they are, where they are or how to get to them, that's my problem.

Can easily access them from underneath the playfield. May require some slight housing modification (think I cut some plastic on one switch).

If you aren't having issues, then no need to fix what isn't broken.

#152 3 years ago

Thanks, if i wasn't having issues i wouldn't care. But i am getting balls stuck up in the orbit somewhere and the only way to free them is to shoot another one up there and then i have all sorts of issues with the flippers dying and balls draining all the time.

Hopefully someone will chip in, as i said i don't know much about maintaing the machine, but i need to be able to either tell my tech guy what the problem is, or be able to work out where the switches are that are the problem and maybe how to fix them myself.

#153 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

What about the geometry do you find unforgivable? Just curious because I think it shoots fine.

I'd have to play it again to give you specifics. I had two long sessions on the game years ago, and it just didn't shoot well in either case, even when I was nailing shots. I specifically remember it being a chore to press the start button again, but I wanted to give it a fair chance. Both times were at shows, and no one was in line waiting...

#154 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Thanks, if i wasn't having issues i wouldn't care. But i am getting balls stuck up in the orbit somewhere and the only way to free them is to shoot another one up there and then i have all sorts of issues with the flippers dying and balls draining all the time.
Hopefully someone will chip in, as i said i don't know much about maintaing the machine, but i need to be able to either tell my tech guy what the problem is, or be able to work out where the switches are that are the problem and maybe how to fix them myself.

When the really odd stuff starts happening, it's often damage to the switch under the upper playfield (have to pull the upper playfield to get to it). It causes all sorts of havoc and failed things such as the VUK not working. Right above the murder ride, there's a switch that can get smacked enough to have the pins touching--needs to be pulled and prevented from happening again (after fixing with heat shrink...that ultimately failed after being smashed enough again, I may have ended up hot gluing those pins to prevent it).

With the playfield propped up and a bright flashlight, you may be able to see if those pins are touching at all.

Other switches should be easy to find, and good experience for a pin owner to sort out.

#155 3 years ago

Thanks, i believe it's happening in the outer, not inner orbit where it's getting stuck, so is that the one you are talking about? I have a lot of other stuff that occupies my remaining brain cells (like doing flying lessons, running a business etc) so prefer not to invest the time and what little future i have left learning what is essentially a new trade for me.
That doesn't mean i want my hand held, just that if people know what the fix is they could share it, so thanks.

#156 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I'd have to play it again to give you specifics. I had two long sessions on the game years ago, and it just didn't shoot well in either case, even when I was nailing shots. I specifically remember it being a chore to press the start button again, but I wanted to give it a fair chance. Both times were at shows, and no one was in line waiting...

Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion and I certainly respect yours. However, a lot of the negative reviews on RZ seem to come from those that have played it very little or in less than ideal situations. I guess I feel like playing it a couple times at a show isn’t really giving it a chance. Were you able to hear the call outs and sound when you played? I also think the level of enjoyment is largely dependent on whether you like Rob Zombie. If you don’t like him, you aren’t going to like the pin. Anyway, just my two cents. I love the pin but I know many people do not.

#157 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Thanks, i believe it's happening in the outer, not inner orbit where it's getting stuck, so is that the one you are talking about? I have a lot of other stuff that occupies my remaining brain cells (like doing flying lessons, running a business etc) so prefer not to invest the time and what little future i have left learning what is essentially a new trade for me.
That doesn't mean i want my hand held, just that if people know what the fix is they could share it, so thanks.

I can understand that. Working on the games is part of the fun for me, but I know it isn't for everyone.

I've never had the ball get stuck in the outer orbit (just the H1kC/Murder Ride inner orbit before the fix). Did have some other switches that didn't like to register properly though.

#158 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Is there a post somewhere about that ball trap switch with pics etc for a novice?

A little bit hard to tell from the photos but it is the inner orbit shot that goes under the upper playfield. The ball bounces a bit, hits the switch, and bends the blades. I have siliconed both switches for the upper playfield and haven't had any major issues since. But that just doesn't seem to be a proper way to fix the problem. I have been working with Matt at M & M Creations to produce a rollover type MRS switch. The prototype is in the mail now.
One picture shows the switches from the top of the playfield. It is the left switch that primarily gets hit. The last photo is the prototype switch being mailed to me.

20200816_202142 (resized).jpg20200816_202142 (resized).jpg20200928_214622 (resized).jpg20200928_214622 (resized).jpg20200928_215432 (resized).jpg20200928_215432 (resized).jpgResized_20201005_101006 (resized).jpgResized_20201005_101006 (resized).jpg
#159 3 years ago

Thanks guys, i'll take much more notice if it happens to me again. What happens is a ball sticks up there, ball search won't find it and after 3 it loads a new ball. An orbit shot knoocks the first ball out and then you have two balls for a while. Then the flippers die and both drain. Then next ball halfway through the flippers die again etc.

It means i can't use the machine for my Sunday comps, and it's a bit frustrating if you are having a good game, and stops me pressing the button as often as i would like (although i still play it heaps as i love it).

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#160 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion and I certainly respect yours. However, a lot of the negative reviews on RZ seem to come from those that have played it very little or in less than ideal situations. I guess I feel like playing it a couple times at a show isn’t really giving it a chance. Were you able to hear the call outs and sound when you played? I also think the level of enjoyment is largely dependent on whether you like Rob Zombie. If you don’t like him, you aren’t going to like the pin. Anyway, just my two cents. I love the pin but I know many people do not.

You may be right, but I played DI and IMDN less and bought them right afterward. My first ball on DI is all it took. Some games I'm not going to get much more than an hour of play, and that's just life. I found the game a chore to play, and I dig Rob's music. RZ is usually tough for ppl to sell, so I'm not alone. If you like it, as others do, that's great! I'll try it again, I'm sure.

#161 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I'll try it again

Now that I think about it, I had a similar experience with Rick & Morty. I played it on location, played a couple of games and have never played it again (partly COVID) related). It just didn’t do anything for me at all, but, at the same time, it’s a very loud location and I couldn’t hear any of the audio. I know that’s an important part of that pin. Looking forward to trying it again.

#162 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Now that I think about it, I had a similar experience with Rick & Morty. I played it on location, played a couple of games and have never played it again (partly COVID) related). It just didn’t do anything for me at all, but, at the same time, it’s a very loud location and I couldn’t hear any of the audio. I know that’s an important part of that pin. Looking forward to trying it again.

Yeah, I totally get not having enough time, but I think it's sort of a rarity to have to play a game so much to "get" it. I slaved on Ghostbusters to try to love it. I just can't, and I've put in at least 100 games. The only game I can think of that I had to learn to love was The Shadow, and, man, was it worth it. Maybe STTNG a little as well. Most games that I love, I love them pretty quick. DI is the only game I said "I'm buying this no matter what" on ball one. IMDN was close.

#163 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

but I think it's sort of a rarity to have to play a....

Too true. Funny I was exact same of both of those games. I didn't play any shadow on release, so lumped it in to turds like JM & DM, i was wrong my a long shot.

#164 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

One of our locally places is bad about this. Games are very very well maintained, but because its a bar they volume is turned down to the point you cannot hear it. First time I played RZ it was there. Everything worked, but without sound it kinda sucked. No idea what was going on and it was just meh. My buddy came away feeling the same way.

Later picked up my first RZ because it was cheap 4k huo with some mods including the apron. Turned out to be fun and when I had the chance to snag an LE I did. Only sold because needed the funds and figured it would be easier to replace later.

#165 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

it was cheap 4k huo with some mods

I paid $4000 for my HUO RZ with the Medisinyl mods. I think the pin is a steal at that price. It’s fast and unique and loud and is a nice complement to the other pins I have. It’s a lot of fun.

#166 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I paid $4000 for my HUO RZ with the Medisinyl mods. I think the pin is a steal at that price. It’s fast and unique and loud and is a nice complement to the other pins I have. It’s a lot of fun.

Nice!

I picked mine for $5000 and I am really happy with it. Only 300 made. Should easily get that back if I ever sell it.

#167 3 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

I am really happy with it.

I’m fine keeping mine if I have to. I really love the pin, but I also like Rob Zombie so I’m sure that helps. Hopefully, it will gain more respect over time.

#168 3 years ago

I traded my "Houdini" for a RZ and never looked back!! I hope the Pinsider I traded with has as much fun as I have!! looking forward to owning a R&MBSE,next year sometime!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
5,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 7,700.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 210.00
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-rob-zombie-really-that-bad/page/4?hl=loveneverdiesguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.