(Topic ID: 65298)

Is Road Show worth $700 more than World Cup Soccer?

By robbiedoo

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Banker
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is Road Show worth $700 more than World Cup Soccer?”

• OMG Yes, buy Road Show! 43 votes
    45%
  • They're priced properly, either one is a good choice at the price. 20 votes
    21%
  • Road Show isn't that much better... buy World Cup Soccer! 7 votes
    7%
  • World Cup Soccer is the better game, IT should be the high priced one, buy World Cup Soccer! 25 votes
    26%

(95 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 7 years ago

Assuming both are in good condition.

Thoughts on game play & fun vs. value?

#2 7 years ago

Depends if you want a deep or shallow game. The rules on WCS94 are great, but they are not deep by any means. It is hard and unforgiving game, but you basically have 2 objectives, that is it. That said, it is a fantastic game. I haven't played Road Show enough to fairly judge, but I can tell the rules are deeper.

#3 7 years ago

I don't know if I would say Road Show is a "deep" game, but it does have a long, linear progression. It's more like Whitewater or LOTR in terms of having lots of modes. There's not a whole lot of strategy in RS. You just plow through the cities, play multi-ball and collect items that give you more points when you get to a city. There's nothing to stack or set up in RS. But it's one of the games that will take you the most time to see all its features and content because it was designed for lots of buy-ins.

Personally, I think RS is one of Pat Lawlor's best games.

#4 7 years ago

Buy a RS - it's a fun game that will last

#5 7 years ago

Haven't put a lot of time on WCS94, but RS is a blast and after a few games on one I had to have it. Personally to me RS is worth it.

#6 7 years ago

I agree RS over WCS, but I'd rather have a something else in that price range: JD, BSD, JM, Shadow, HS2 etc...

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

... I'd rather have a something else in that price range: ... JM...

I could get my hands on a JM for about the same price as the WCS, but it really doesn't look like that great of a game (...for my taste anyway).

#8 7 years ago

I have owned a WCS and have played JM a bit. In a small collection I would take JM over WCS. In a large collection it would be a little tougher decision. WCS is a ton of fun for sure and great for family and friends that aren't 'into' pinball.

#9 7 years ago

Owned both, Roadshow is still here 4 years strong. WCS lasted 2 weeks, I defeated Germany within 15 minutes of having it home.

#10 7 years ago

Roadshow by 400 miles.

#11 7 years ago

Roadshow by $700

#12 7 years ago

Yeah, I do like RS better as well.
(Go ahead, biased because I own one, blah blah blah...)

#13 7 years ago

World Cup Soccer gets my vote, for sure. I find that game really fun, while I can barely tolerate Road Show.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

World Cup Soccer gets my vote, for sure. I find that game really fun, while I can barely tolerate Road Show.

I would agree that it *is* all about personal opinion, though. You'd almost have to play one on your own to determine which *you* like better personally, in terms of gameplay and things. "To each his own" type of thing, you know?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I like WCS, it's just that RS would get my vote in a side by side comparison. Still personal opinion though.

#15 7 years ago

LOVE WCS.....wouldn't even consider buying an RS.

#16 7 years ago

Yeah, I like Pat Lawler and I'm a big fan of his work, but I remember playing RS and bricking shot after shot...very frustrating.

#17 7 years ago

I would say RS is worth twice what wcs is. wcs is fun, but RS is very deep. It is linear in play, and if you are having shit games on a well shopped machine (as it is very fast and ruthless) it can always seem like you are playing NY and Atlanta over and over, but there are two very long paths to two wizard modes, one bigger one, and a crap load of other stuff to do.

Sometime I think it would have been nice if the modes were mixed up, but many involving the taxi driver would need to be played in chronological order to make sense. This was Lawlor trying to keep things fresh in new directions, as with SC. Like it or not, he was thinking outside the box and against the grain (grains for which he already invented - a million thanks to you forever Lawlor), and given that the linear path is different than any other machine out there, it's a fun change when you come around to this machine in your lineup.

You can still pick your initial path at the start, but given you mostly shoot for the skill, it usually ends up NY first.

#18 7 years ago

Not voting because I haven't put much time in on WCS. I own a Roadshow, and it is quite good fun. Pat Lawlor's design, and John Youssi's artwork, DCS sound, and some great modes make for a keeper. The family-friendly theme makes it quite popular with my wife, daughter, and guests.

As with most every pin condition counts. A cleaned, waxed, and well tuned RS plays great. I've seen some pretty rough RS's. Judge accordingly.

#19 7 years ago

Roadshow was the game that got me addicted to pinball when it first came out. It has a lot of nostalgic value for me so I had to answer YES.

#20 7 years ago

I owned both. WCS was a blast to play and was probably by far the most popular pin with kids and non pinball friends. RS is still around but is starting to feel old. The only RS complaint I would have is the Linear Play and it is a little stop-n-go (I have a preference for faster games).

WCS just got a little too easy so I sold it to a friend who is a huge soccer (err football) fan.

Given the choice I would take RS over WCS but if you have kids & family that are less than into pinball then WCS is the way to go.

My 2c.

#21 7 years ago

What did you decide on?

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

Assuming both are in good condition.
Thoughts on game play & fun vs. value?

What did you decide on?

#23 7 years ago

today's the day, I won't know until this evening after I travel there and play / judge the condition for myself. There's also a JM and a DM available, maybe FT but I'm not really considering those 3... still, there's a chance!

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

today's the day, I won't know until this evening after I travel there and play / judge the condition for myself. There's also a JM and a DM available, maybe FT but I'm not really considering those 3... still, there's a chance!

JM is another good game

#25 7 years ago

Roadshow is one of my favorite games on my hyperpin. I dont think ive ever played one in person.
Would like to find one eventually to buy.

#26 7 years ago

Dude, buy JM, DM and FT...and stop right there..that's an awesome collection, I owned all three, 2 are still here, I sold my DM as part of a 3 pin for one deal and quickly bought another one. JD and FT are coming back too but I'm looking for a nice examples.

#27 7 years ago

If you have kids and really think they will play....WCS.

If not......JM!

#28 7 years ago

RS FTW!

#29 7 years ago

It's weird, I wanna like Road Show but it just never does me good. I don't hate it but I do like WCS more.

#31 7 years ago

Wtf.........

#32 7 years ago

Fail... j/k

#33 7 years ago

Hard question.

I owned a RS for a few months. Cool game, but I had a proposal for an exchange I could not decline. I somewhat miss the game as it has plenty to offer in terms of PF layout (and being left handed, having 3 flippers on the left vs 1 on the right is fun and unusual!). But it seems the rules do not give this layout its full potential. It had everything to be as "rich" as TZ... but it is not.

I never owned WCS. Could not care less about soccer. Still, the game is fun and good. It may appeal to children (the goal is a cool feature) and does have lastability for decent players.

Bottom line is you can't get wrong with either choice. They are very, very different in terms of gameplay. Try them both, and find the one that fit your style!

#34 7 years ago

My Son all over Soccer, so WCS was the right choice for him....a VERY fun pin to play, especially if you need a "high score" fix....ahh...billions and billions..never played RS, so can't compare, but looks fun, as well....mark

#35 7 years ago

If possible, play them both first. I found with RS that once I knew where the shots were, I could VERY consistently hit them and keep the ball in play for a really long time. I find the game dull because of it, and I've played a bunch including multiple that were supposedly set up "super nasty'.

WCS set up super nasty IS super nasty, and while it doesn't have tons of different stuff to do, getting there is not easy.

RS is one I never need, WCS is one that I got more or less on accident and will never leave.

#36 7 years ago

$2500 + X-Files for a POS TOM?

Whatever floats your boat. I'd MUCH rather have a nice JM or WCS than a beat TOM.

#37 7 years ago

Thanks Astro, I'll keep that in mind when I decide to buy myself what your preferable pin is.

TOM has been my dream machine for quite awhile, and though it is rough, I can spend time fixing it up (I find that just as fun as playing it), invest a few hundred more dollars and make it really nice.

When I saw it, I wanted it, so I bought it.

#38 7 years ago

So what's the difference in price between a RS and a WCS? Assuming playing well, no errors and in nice shape?

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

So what's the difference in price between a RS and a WCS? Assuming playing well, no errors and in nice shape?

I think he was probably fairly close in saying RS in same shape as a WCS would be worth about $700.00 more.

#40 7 years ago

A difference of 700 sounds about right. RS seems to get around $2400 – $2500, WCS gets around $1700 – $1800.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

Thanks Astro, I'll keep that in mind when I decide to buy myself what your preferable pin is.
TOM has been my dream machine for quite awhile, and though it is rough, I can spend time fixing it up (I find that just as fun as playing it), invest a few hundred more dollars and make it really nice.
When I saw it, I wanted it, so I bought it.

You are right.....I apologize. My post was uncalled for.....and now, retracted.

#42 7 years ago

I've had both and WCS is still here. RS was a decent game but I got so sick of the same call outs from the same cities in the same order every game I just got tired of it after about a month.

"You will remove that bulldozer from the street"...cringe

#44 7 years ago

Had both,liked both , but kept RS.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Minneapolis, MN
$ 62.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside