• Latest reply 8 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tron_topper_(resized).jpg
8613e452e2bd91a36f06107f5763df3c708da503_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lesmanley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Just learned my location has 1 more slot to fill. It's slim pickings right now in the local market. I can pick up a clean Ripley's from a buddy for around $3000 to fill the slot, but I'm not sure how it would earn.
It may be somewhat more popular due to The Pinball Arcade, but it's still an obscure theme with a complex layout. My gut is the pinheads would like it (our league plays there), but the casual customers would walk right past it. If so, the pinheads alone would not drop enough coin to carry it and I should pass.
Has anyone here operated one, or have some experience to share?
Also, if you think it would be a dud, what would you recommend instead for similar money?
Which DMD era pins earn well, play well and aren't too high-maintenance for around $2500-$3500?

Love the game, but I don't think it would earn well. The game is too difficult and the ruleset to unique for casual players to pick up quickly. Personally I love the theme as well, but I don't think kids or a casual audience would be attracted to it. We don't have any on route locally anymore for a reason. I think your gut is right on, pinheads would play it and casual players would play a game with a theme they know from current popularity or a game they reminder from their youth.

South Park earns if you don't have one on route already.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

yeah unless its a league location it probably won't earn more than any other game
but I hear southpark is one of the best earners, I would also think that SMB would do well.
it seems like a lot of the games that pinheads don't care for earn well

With SMB you may have the reverse issue, casual people would play it, but the pinheads would avoid it. Family Guy is great for all types of players if you can find one for $3500.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from insearchofspace:

Step 1: Hit vari-target, follow on screen instructions.
Step 2: Hit right ramp to relight vari-target.
Step 3: Repeat steps 1 through 2

If only it were that easy...

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I almost never hit the vari-target...lol

I never shoot the scoop. I always get crazy rebounds when I try to hit the scoop, so I go strictly vari-target for starting continents.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Basically, a certain(t) number of hits or jackpots in a mode. So for Asia, it's hitting spinners. You can see a little dude walking over hot coals and the more you spin the more he moves till he's done, mode over, Ripley letter.
Europe is hitting enough tombstones. The MB modes work by shooting both ramps then either head or idol to relight, gotta collect X jackpots.
So going to all the Continents will get you a continent bonus, then they start over and you keep trying to spell Ripleys

They timers are very short for the non-multiball modes so you can't miss much. Plus there is no carryover, so if you get within 1 spin of completing Asia the first time you play it, you will need all 24 spins again to complete it the next time you play it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
$ 45.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Canton, TX
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lesmanley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-ripleys-a-good-earner-these-days?tu=lesmanley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.