(Topic ID: 327619)

Is RFM a good machine in a small collection?

By data_eastside

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by hAbO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

compare.jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Have a chance to buy a Revenge From Mars for $3400 in good condition with shaker motor and LCD screen conversion. I have a couple of concerns- is this a good game for a serious player? I'm a little worried that it's too gimmicky and I've read it can get boring pretty quick in a small collection. Also- is the price fair and will it be easy to trade if I don't like it?

#2 1 year ago

It’s fun, but like any game can get old quickly in a small collection. It has fun shots and good humor. Price is good. Easy to sell when you’re done

#3 1 year ago

I would jump on that $3400 RFM with shaker motor (obviously updated code) and LCD in a heartbeat. RFM is a fabulous game that many pinball snobs rag on. I’ve owned mine for 3 years and never plan on selling. I’ve have about 50 games go through my collection in that time.

#4 1 year ago

It isn't AFM for sure, but people really enjoy it and it's funny as hell. I don't know aboot the "serious players" part but I find Pin2k a complete gimmick and I don't need one.

Really not sure what the LCD screen does for value but they've been over 3K for quite awHile so I don't you losing much.
    So why not give it a shot.

#5 1 year ago

No.

It’s just not a game that offers enough to enjoy in a small collection unless you already know you just love it.

It gets “ragged on” for a reason. It’s not a game for serious players. It’s fun to show off to guests and it’s easy so they can shoot up the middle and see the animations interact.

If you love it, like the person above, that’s great. But my opinion is if you’re not already sure you like it that much, you have a small collection, and you’re asking about serious players that you will tire of it quickly.

#6 1 year ago

No. Now where can I get this table for $3400?

#7 1 year ago

I got my RFM as my third pin and it has stuck around in the collection. Despite the hate it's still a top 100 pin for a reason - it's fun. That's a good buy at $3400 - if you find out you dont like it then you can probably sell it and make a profit on it.

#8 1 year ago

The game stinks and always has and always will.

There’s a reason the price increases of pin 2K games have been outpaced badly by every single other 90s Bally Williams.

#9 1 year ago

It's a fun game, but I think the price is a bit high for it these days. But, that's what I think about most games right now.

SWEP1 gets old fast, but RFM has some staying power. It's not a game that appears too frequently, so people seem to hang onto them a little while.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "serious player". It's probably not a good tournament game, if that's what you mean.

It's fun, engaging, challenging, a bit silly, but the types of shots you can make can be a bit limited after a while.

It's a bit shorter than a regular sized pin, so sometimes it's a good game to cram somewhere that isn't quite big enough for a regular sized game.

#10 1 year ago

I just don’t think the game works. The callouts are amusing, but I don’t care for the game.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

No.
    It’s just not a game that offers enough to enjoy in a small collection unless you already know you just love it.
    It gets “ragged on” for a reason. It’s not a game for serious players. It’s fun to show off to guests and it’s easy so they can shoot up the middle and see the animations interact.
    If you love it, like the person above, that’s great. But my opinion is if you’re not already sure you like it that much, you have a small collection, and you’re asking about serious players that you will tire of it quickly.

You have to make all the side shots to get perfects on the modes and collect saucer lights. You can’t attack Mars without collecting all the saucer lights. You can progress through a mode by hitting the center, but it doesn’t get you anywhere.

SWE1 is so bad that it drags pin2000 down as a whole and hurts RFM reputation.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mundy53:

SWE1 is so bad that it drags pin2000 down as a whole and hurts RFM reputation.

I’ve never played any other pin2k game and would hate them all based on RFM alone, so I don’t think thats the problem here.

#13 1 year ago

I don't think you'll go wrong. What pins are available in that price that have more variety? Yes, you may see animations repeatedly if you play it a lot, but what's the difference between seeing the same drop target drop over and over on a different game? I think the shots are satisfying and the variety the game has great. Plus applejuice is still making fantastic updates to it! I don't think you'll find a comparable table unless you have a P3 already and are getting a different game for it.

#14 1 year ago

I was debating on letting it go but after putting leds in it changed my outlook, get Beetlejuice's upgrades.
    SWEP is monotonous but kids absolutely love that pin.
    My 2 cents

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from data_eastside:

Have a chance to buy a Revenge From Mars for $3400 in good condition with shaker motor and LCD screen conversion. I have a couple of concerns- is this a good game for a serious player? I'm a little worried that it's too gimmicky and I've read it can get boring pretty quick in a small collection. Also- is the price fair and will it be easy to trade if I don't like it?

Ultimately, I would say go for it...mainly because you likely won't lose any money on it. In fact, you should be able to make a few hundred. It's basically like getting paid to play pinball!

Deep dive: I owned a RFM, so I'm speaking from experience here. It is not a good game for a serious player. Shots are repetitive, there isn't a ton to do, and it isn't very deep...but it is dirt cheap for a game rated so highly. It is gimmicky also, but still fun. It is also a pain in the ass to move. The head scoop weighs a ton, and it's a pain to take off, especially with just yourself. It would also be easy to break/crack during moving...and you will very likely have to remove it any time it is moved.

I would say it's great for a filler pin until you can trade up.

#16 1 year ago

Bought one of these new on closeout and had it for a while.. it's decently fun, but one huge problem: there's absolutely no stacking. Every single feature plays individually, modes pause during multiballs, no modes stack together, everything is exclusive. There are a lot of features, but the inability to mix them up makes the whole thing very repetitive after a while. Also the center shot isn't very satisfying, just banging into some obscured targets. Also hard to really blow up scores in anything, you just kinda grind it out.

That said, for 3400 you could do a lot worse. Lots of content in the game.. buy it, play it out and move it along after the humor gets stale.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

is also a pain in the ass to move. The head scoop weighs a ton, and it's a pain to take off, especially with just yourself.

With the weight of original CRT monitor in it, definitely. With a LCD monitor, it should make the head much easier to handle.

#18 1 year ago

i've had mine for 15 years now. It's one of the few games to stay in the collection that long. I love p2k tech and wish it would have kept going. EP1 is such a pile of shit, but RFM is good. I like it better than AFM.

#19 1 year ago

It's a fun game, not sure it would be a long term game for me. I've always felt like it was the in between game, from Baby Pac Man to literally any other full size pinball machine. Bigger playfield than Baby Pac Man, but still smaller in comparison to your full size machines. It's like Baby Pac Man on crack

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from SterlingRush:

It's a fun game, not sure it would be a long term game for me. I've always felt like it was the in between game, from Baby Pac Man to literally any other full size pinball machine. Bigger playfield than Baby Pac Man, but still smaller in comparison to your full size machines. It's like Baby Pac Man on crack

actually that's completely false. it's actually longer than a full size machine. playfield is longer than any WPC game.

#21 1 year ago

Its not a bad game. Great for guests who really enjoy it. Probably good in a 5 game collection.

Like others said, it's heavy as hell. Both PIN2000 games are built like absolute tanks with beefy connectors, extra locksets to pop out the glass without getting into the cashbox, etc.

#22 1 year ago

Any idea what brand shaker motor is installed?

#23 1 year ago

I have one and SWE1 kit. RFM is definitely fun and entertaining to play. Fan layout like is older brother AFM. Its weird with the display on the playfield but I think it works for what they were trying to achieve. SWE1 is meh but a guilty pleasure I guess.

Pros and cons to a monitor vs LSD screen with contrast (black levels) but LCDs will be brighter, crisper and make the cabinet overall lighter to wrangle. Price wise that's what they seem to be going for in decent cosmetic shape. Besides the monitor the other troublesome thing I'd be wary if the person selling did any CPU work with replacing the old swollen capacitors after 20 years. Not too difficult to do but you have to be decent at soldering or better yet have a soldering station.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The game stinks and always has and always will.
    There’s a reason the price increases of pin 2K games have been outpaced badly by every single other 90s Bally Williams.

Like Demolition Man?

#25 1 year ago

I had one for a few years in a smaller collection and I think its a great game. It held my attention for a long time and always popular with guests and kids. I think you can't go wrong at the price, no problem getting your money back or more on it if you decide its not for you in a month or a year. Ironically its at the same price I sold mine for last year. Put me on the list of people to notify if you pass on it (:

#26 1 year ago

A Steal - Great find! Fun game that is a no brainer at that price!

#27 1 year ago

The only draw back is the LCD monitor. They are just too dark and don’t resolve well. Also I’m going to be a minority here I like both pin2000 games they are unique and I find them fun to play in the context of what they are…

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pintopia:

The only draw back is the LCD monitor. They are just too dark and don’t resolve well. Also I’m going to be a minority here I like both pin2000 games they are unique and I find them fun to play in the context of what they are…

I agree. The best image possible for this game IMO is a CRT with the video amplifier.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I agree. The best image possible for this game IMO is a CRT with the video amplifier.

One year at a show, I brought my CRT RFM, and someone else brought an LCD RFM, so there was almost a side-by-side comparison between the two.

The LCD looked good, but because it's backlit, the blacks were not quite as deep as they are on a CRT.

#30 1 year ago

I haven't played one since they came out, but at the time it was good for a laugh (it has some really funny callouts), but not for gameplay. There's just not enough there to compete against all the awesome machines from the late 90's you could play instead.

Of course, at that time they all cost the same 50 cents though. Today, RFM costs 1/3 or less what a lot of those great old WPC pins are going for so you've got to factor that in, and about half what a modern Stern Pro would be.

If it were me... Personally I'd save up for a Pro, whichever one appeals to you. But there's no harm in picking it up if you want at that price. You can play it a while and then sell/trade it for something else and then you'll KNOW whether you like it as a home machine instead of just guessing and asking internet strangers

#31 1 year ago

RFM might be the best bang for the buck in todays market.

2 weeks later
    #32 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

RFM might be the best bang for the buck in todays market.

Truth

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:actually that's completely false. it's actually longer than a full size machine. playfield is longer than any WPC game.

Pin2000 is larger than a WPC playfield???

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Yes, it’s longer. If you watch the pin2000 documentary, they talk about it.

#35 1 year ago

yes it is. because the playfield goes under the monitor, all the way to the back of the machine. There is only a 4" gap between the back of the playfield and the back of the machine. most machines have a 8 to 9" neck back there.

#36 1 year ago

RFM’s playfield is 3 inches shorter than a T2 playfield…
    Pin2000 is a 43” playfield and WPC standard is 46”

#37 1 year ago

i've had them sitting side by side and the P2k is longer. maybe T2 is maybe longer, but I havn't restored many T2 fields.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i've had them sitting side by side and the P2k is longer. maybe T2 is maybe longer, but I havn't restored many T2 fields.

. P2K playfields were reduced in size to increase the playfields yielded from a sheet of plywood (read that somewhere) Super pins are 46” and other WPC’s wary but I think wh2o is the shortest at 44’5 outside of safecracker

P2K playfields are smaller, not larger than standard WPC playfields.

#39 1 year ago

well, since I restore playfields for a living, and have had RFM fields standing here on end, and have been longer than B/W games standing right next to them. that is not entirely true. And if they are shorter than some, it's not a significant amount to matter.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

well, since I restore playfields for a living, and have had RFM fields standing here on end, and have been longer than B/W games standing right next to them. that is not entirely true. And if they are shorter than some, it's not a significant amount to matter.

I was originally responding to your absolutism. “ actually that's completely false. it's actually longer than a full size machine. playfield is longer than any WPC game.”

I should have clarified I was referring to DMD era WPC’s. 80’s era WPC’s are shorter than P2k

I totally agree with the sentiment that the perception that p2k playfields aren’t “full-size” playfields is false and that the difference in size between a DMD era WPC playfield and the marginally smaller p2k is relatively insignificant.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from data_eastside:

You are in PA. You can buy this pin and sell it for $3200 (+/- $200) at the Allentown Show in May or York Show in October if you don't want to list it at home. I'm a fan of variety. If you buy it, play it for a few months and then sell it, you are out a few hundred at most. I'm up to 50 pins rotated through the basement in 4.5 years with no more than 6 at a time. Nothing beats exploring the pin in your basement.

#42 1 year ago

I was originally responding to your absolutism. “ actually that's completely false. it's actually longer than a full size machine. playfield is longer than any WPC game.”
    I should have clarified I was referring to DMD era WPC’s. 80’s era WPC’s are shorter than P2k
    I totally agree with the sentiment that the perception that p2k playfields aren’t “full-size” playfields is false and that the difference in size between a DMD era WPC playfield and the marginally smaller p2k is relatively insignificant.

yes, I guess it is shorter than some WPC games, but longer than others. I was initially responding to the statement that it wasn't a full size playfield. When it is actually longer than many games.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.