(Topic ID: 213173)

Someone possibly pretending to be from Project Pinball and is not?...

By Porkfritter

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mrossman5
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

15221115810231137284044 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they have worked with this charity before? I see tournaments supporting the charity and I love the concept!! I am also wondering if I stumbled upon the wrong form and there is someone pretending to be from the charity and is NOT.

I ask because I filled out their volunteer form about a year ago inquiring about the possibility of placing a pinball machine in an Indiana children's hospital. I promptly heard back but after I let them know I was looking to volunteer my time and cost to maintain a machine, I never heard back. Once I said I didn't have the initial funds to purchase or a new machine to donate all contact ceased. I broke my neck about a year ago and spent a lot of time in the hospital and loved the idea, if I had heard back with more information I was prepared to ask many of the Dr.s who treated me for a small donation and also hit up friends. I know I could have made it happen!

It is just odd because:

1. I never heard a word back after my "I don’t have a machine or $$ right this minute." email (before that prompt responses)
    2. I called the number in the signature of their email and got a very ANGRY gentleman who told me twice to leave him alone. (yes I called twice to make sure I wasn't an idiot and dialed the wrong number) THIS IS NOT THE NUMBER ON THEIR WEBSITE but still was a 239-287 phone number
    3. I wrote them another email telling them of the situation (no response)
    4. Filled out another web form inquiry
    5. Called the phone number on the website and left a message
    6. Rinse and repeat again with same results
    7. Just gave up

To say I was disappointed would be an understatement! I am thinking that once/if my health improves, I'll independently reach out to the local children's hospital independently. I am also in hopes that others my see this and reply with "Project Pinball" is awesome seeing it firsthand and I have outed a scammer who others might have or will stumble upon.

#2 1 year ago

Sounds like a scam.

If it were legit then there would have been more communication from them. With the multiple attempts to reach them and not getting prompt responses, I’d be worried. Even after suggesting that you’d donate time to repair games there was no further contact.

#3 1 year ago

Project Pinball is legit. I have met Dan and Sierra from Project Pinball and they ran a charity tournament at our local arcade Portal Pinball in Kennesaw (Atlanta), GA. Go to the below Facebook pages to see their website and a recent video series done by Imoto Harney.

https://www.facebook.com/ProjectPinball/
    https://www.facebook.com/imotoarcade/

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

Project Pinball is legit. I have met Dan and Sierra from Project Pinball and they ran a charity tournament at our local arcade Portal Pinball in Kennesaw (Atlanta), GA. Go to the below Facebook pages to see their website and a recent video series done by Imoto Harney.
    https://www.facebook.com/ProjectPinball/
    https://www.facebook.com/imotoarcade/

Not sure about my experience then, very odd.... Same contact info.

#5 1 year ago

If you're concerned, their website lists 28 hospitals where they've placed and maintain pinball machines. You can call any of those establishments and verify that they have placed machines.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from AlbanyTim:

If you're concerned, their website lists 28 hospitals where they've placed and maintain pinball machines. You can call any of those establishments and verify that they have placed machines.

Unwarranted reply from myself removed. I misunderstood the intention of someone and it was my fault.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Porkfritter:

I didn't ask for a smart mouthed reply... thanks for being a troll.

I think you misread/misinterpreted something in his post. To me, it just sounded like he was trying to be helpful.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Porkfritter:

Once I said I didn't have the initial funds to purchase or a new machine to donate all contact ceased.

If that's what they require you to do in order to have a game placed somewhere, then if you don't meet their requirements, that's probably why the discussion didn't continue.

I'm sure they get tons of requests to place games at various places.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I think you misread/misinterpreted something in his post. To me, it just sounded like he was trying to be helpful.

I have no doubt that they have placed machines in hospitals. I'm not trying to bust some volunteers for expensing a Cheeseburger when they spend their time... I think it was pretty simple that I asked if anyone had any experience and i wasn't being confrontational. I saw the response as being flippant, but maybe I just word things different.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If that's what they require you to do in order to have a game placed somewhere, then if you don't meet their requirements, that's probably why the discussion didn't continue.
    I'm sure they get tons of requests to place games at various places.

I asked to donate my time, please fully read post... Thanks! They should not be asking for volunteers if they don't really want them and only want $$ or games.

I'll just stay away.... Its all an opinion, I think I have my answers...

#11 1 year ago

Jeez, dude. Why so abrasive?

Project Pinball is far more legit than the other charity that Pinside loves to buy raffle tickets from. That's all I'll say about that. Project Pinball is amazing and Daniel works very, very hard to support children through his charity.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Porkfritter:

I asked to donate my team, please fully read post... Thanks! They should not be asking for volunteers if they don't really want them and only want $$ or games.

I'm starting to realize why the communication ended.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Porkfritter:

I didn't ask for a smart mouthed reply... thanks for being a troll.

Dude, all he's saying is, "Don't believe people who post on a forum, call the hospitals yourself and confirm that they aren't a scam." You can't get any more proof than from the recipients of the charity. Calm down.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

I'm starting to realize why the communication ended.

Yup, first thing to do is bash the guy who only asked a question. I am sure I volunteer way more time and money than you do. It was a simple ??... Oh and thanks for pointing out my typos that I correct immediately... Sorry I can't type as well as you since I broke my neck.

Have an awesome day!

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Jeez, dude. Why so abrasive?
    Project Pinball is far more legit than the other charity that Pinside loves to buy raffle tickets from. That's all I'll say about that. Project Pinball is amazing and Daniel works very, very hard to support children through his charity.

Thanks for the response! This is exactly the type of response I was in hopes to get. I am not sure why I fell through the cracks, and for anyone that thinks its a $$$$ issue, it is and/was not... I could easily have gotten a machine within 30 days....

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from Porkfritter:

Yup, first thing to so is bash the guy who only asked a question. I am sure I volunteer way more time and money than you do. It was a simple ??...
    Have an awesome day!

I agree that you asked a simple question. However, when you received replies from people trying to be helpful you took offense and got confrontational.

I think it's awesome you want to donate your time. That said my initial impression is that you may have escalated the situation a bit and that's why contact was ended. Good luck with your vision.

#17 1 year ago

There's a Project Pinball ad that appears at the top of the main Pinside page at times. It links to this Pinside thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-the-children-and-win-a-new-stern

In that thread is a Pinside user mole who is affiliated. Maybe reach out to them in a private message.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from MRudowsky:

There's a Project Pinball ad that appears at the top of the main Pinside page at times.

It's actually in the banner at the top of the Forum main page. If you don't see it, those adds can be scrolled left/right.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

I agree that you asked a simple question. However, when you received replies from people trying to be helpful you took offense and got confrontational.
    I think it's awesome you want to donate your time. That said my initial impression is that you may have escalated the situation a bit and that's why contact was ended. Good luck with your vision.

Exactly. Even the title of this thread is confrontational. Of course Project Pinball is legit. They have a long and easily verifiable past. I suspect the "question" is less the purpose of this thread than the poorly veiled attack on a charity that has brought pinball joy to so many. Not to mention that Project Pinball has always operated with the kind of transparency and low administrative overhead that we only wish most charities had.

Sorry if I sound mad, but as a friend and supporter of Project Pinball from day one, I am mad. I think I will go purchase a couple of Premium raffle tickets just to make me feel better.

#20 1 year ago

Hope your health improves. Sorry to learn about your injury. Good luck with the Children's hospital.

#21 1 year ago

I think the problem is that if you don't have a pinball machine or money for one, Project Pinball probably has a fairly lengthy waiting list for machines...so the chance of one popping up in your area may be quite a ways off. Although I think that is what they should have told you instead of cutting all communication.

#22 1 year ago

Project Pinball buys and places the machines themselves. They maintain ownership and maintenance of the game. There is all kinds of legal stuff involved and not as simple as dropping off the game. The volunteer part comes from when they place the machine, they need locals to help keep the machine working. My advice is to meet Dan at an event and talk to him personally. I see him several times a year. In fact a local children's hospital here has a project pinball Wizard Of Oz.

#23 1 year ago

Wow, some of you guys here....the OP was asking to volunteer his time. If Project Pinball advertises that they are looking for volunteers, I would be pissed too if they came back with only wanting money or a new pin. If you don't want volunteers to help you then don't ask. I am not sure why some of you don't understand that they probably f@cked up by cutting off communication after there was no money to be had. It could be an honest mistake but a mistake non the less. The OP has a legitimate complaint. That's great that some of you donate money, I am all for that, but that doesn't excuse their behavior in this instance.

#24 1 year ago

Dan is top notch and a nice guy on top of it. my guess is your initial offer might have been misinterpreted and your subsequent communications potentially hostile or off-putting. If you do charitable work for others anyway, I'm not sure the need to drag project pinball through the mud, just chalk it up to mixed signals and move on.

#25 1 year ago

Hello,

We work hard with the Children's Hospitals and Ronald McDonald Houses across the United States. I am definitely sure our Project Pinball Charity is legit.
    We ask for volunteers to help all the time. If we do not have a placement project or locations at the time of request, we place the volunteer’s contact information in our communities file for when we need support in new locations. We don't stop talking to people just because they don't have money or machines to donate. We still need volunteer to help in their local communities. This is how our charity is able to grow to help more and more families across our nation.

We have a lot of moving parts. We are working with over 60 hospitals and RMHCs at this time, so we have a full plate but we would never be rude. At times, a donor has contacted us about a particular hospital or RMHC that we have been working with. It was nice because we had a contract for a placement hospital or RMHC location and volunteers ready to go.

This is mystery to me about several of these numbered questions, especially #2 Where I was angry (twice) with a supporter of our charity? I know for a fact that I would never have a conversation like that, ever. I am not sure which number that you were calling to get such an angry response. My direct number is 239-287-5497. My direct email is danielspolar@projectpinball.org Feel free to contact me so we can clear any confusion about how you can help your local hospital through our charity.

Can I have your contact information? That way I can do research on how to help move forward with your request for your local area.

Thank you,

Daniel Spolar
    Senior Director/ Founder
    Project Pinball Charity

Quoted from Porkfritter:

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they have worked with this charity before? I see tournaments supporting the charity and I love the concept!! I am also wondering if I stumbled upon the wrong form and there is someone pretending to be from the charity and is NOT.
    I ask because I filled out their volunteer form about a year ago inquiring about the possibility of placing a pinball machine in an Indiana children's hospital. I promptly heard back but after I let them know I was looking to volunteer my time and cost to maintain a machine, I never heard back. Once I said I didn't have the initial funds to purchase or a new machine to donate all contact ceased. I broke my neck about a year ago and spent a lot of time in the hospital and loved the idea, if I had heard back with more information I was prepared to ask many of the Dr.s who treated me for a small donation and also hit up friends. I know I could have made it happen!
    It is just odd because:
    1. I never heard a word back after my "I don’t have a machine or $$ right this minute." email (before that prompt responses)
    2. I called the number in the signature of their email and got a very ANGRY gentleman who told me twice to leave him alone. (yes I called twice to make sure I wasn't an idiot and dialed the wrong number) THIS IS NOT THE NUMBER ON THEIR WEBSITE but still was a 239-287 phone number
    3. I wrote them another email telling them of the situation (no response)
    4. Filled out another web form inquiry
    5. Called the phone number on the website and left a message
    6. Rinse and repeat again with same results
    7. Just gave up
    To say I was disappointed would be an understatement! I am thinking that once/if my health improves, I'll independently reach out to the local children's hospital independently. I am also in hopes that others my see this and reply with "Project Pinball" is awesome seeing it firsthand and I have outed a scammer who others might have or will stumble upon.

#26 1 year ago

15221115810231137284044 (resized).jpg

#27 1 year ago

they shipped me a pinball machine last year. pretty legit if you ask me!

#28 1 year ago

Dan is the man. Met him once. Spoken to him on the phone several times.

I take care of a local game for him in a children’s hospital.

#29 1 year ago

Yea Dan is a really nice guy . I have done work with him since the beginning

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from gorgar007:

they shipped me a pinball machine last year. pretty legit if you ask me!

I’ve played it. Seemed real?

#31 1 year ago

I mean zombies aren't real but yeah.

#32 1 year ago

For anyone who thinks I posted this to be confrontational I was not. I was just asking a question. Did I over react to the one response, maybe....
    but I read it as if someone who posted help for a technical question and was replied with "burn the machine".

Of course I can call the hospitals, but I was not trying to do investigative work. I THOUGHT SOMEONE ELSE MIGHT BE PRETENDING TO BE THEM....

I don't think many people took the time to read the entire post... I also have all email threads and can show that I was not mean or flippant at all.

Sorry if I came across wrong but please read this, and maybe you will realize I'm not an A-hole..

http://archive.inside.iu.edu/spotlights-profiles/faculty-staff/2016-07-20-mark-uncapher-iunorthwest.shtml

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Exactly. Even the title of this thread is confrontational. Of course Project Pinball is legit. They have a long and easily verifiable past. I suspect the "question" is less the purpose of this thread than the poorly veiled attack on a charity that has brought pinball joy to so many. Not to mention that Project Pinball has always operated with the kind of transparency and low administrative overhead that we only wish most charities had.
    Sorry if I sound mad, but as a friend and supporter of Project Pinball from day one, I am mad. I think I will go purchase a couple of Premium raffle tickets just to make me feel better.

Did you read where I asked if possible someone was pretending to be them? Hope you win the machine! Have reached out to Mole. It is a shame no matter what cause I know for a fact I could have gotten a machine donated. I had so many procedures and Dr.s and even warmed a couple up to the idea cause they knew I had played pinball.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from Porkfritter:

Did you read where I asked if possible someone was pretending to be them? Hope you win the machine!

Thanks. I've bought enough tickets that I am due to win one at this point. Hopefully you worked out the issue and I apologize if I got a little angry.

#35 1 year ago

Hey guys porkfritter meant no harm. He just isn’t as connected with the Pinside community as some of us. He aimed to help and not cause issues and trust me his intent was genuine to help a charity. He has been kind enough to put a machine at my location with a portion of all the coin drop the machine collects going to the charity of a former student of mine. I think all we have here is a small misunderstanding. He’s a good dude. Project pinball is good people. That’s the bottom line. Everyone back to playing pinball now.

#36 1 year ago

This is great!
    Hilton made sense all week, Black Knights journals were less than 6 pages long, Alien is shipping....drama was at an all time low.

And then our new hero enters stage left....applause!

#37 1 year ago

OP, maybe change the thread title? Best wishes for full recovery with your injury.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from gjm:

OP, maybe change the thread title? Best wishes for full recovery with your injury.

Thank you, for the suggestion and well wishes! Hope the title edit better represents my question and thread.

#39 1 year ago

100 percent legit. A company with a great cause.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields
    $ 15.00
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 41.00
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 229.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    € 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RGP Models
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 27.50
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 2.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside