Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by smassa
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
IMG_6784.jpg

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

I am thinking of buying one but have not played it yet. how do you guys like the game and what's a good price for home use only?

#2 7 years ago

Absolutely not. It is boring as hell. See my review under game. Another game I wanted to like when it came out but could not get into with limited boring slow shots. Some neat toys with ship and chest but movement and fell without big ramps makes the game go no where for me. Please pick something else as you have a great collection so far.

#3 7 years ago

I can't stand the left ramp that goes into the spinner. I dread that shot and avoid it. It just kills the flow of the game.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

I am thinking of buying one but have not played it yet. how do you guys like the game and what's a good price for home use only?

see my post rbion or potc which one would you choose

#6 7 years ago

You have 3 fast/flowing games and 1 stop and go game. POTC is a lot like IJ in terms of gameplay. IJ may have a little bit more flow than POTC does though.

I love POTC, it is a fun game, and one that is pretty tough to complete. My POTC sits next to my IJ and when guests come over they gravitate to the POTC right away. Sinking the ship never gets old. The theme integration on POTC is great.

HUO price? I think at 4300-4500 you are pretty good (stock). I just had one shipped (not HUO but nice) from Texas a few months ago for 4100 to my door.

#7 7 years ago

I like it

#8 7 years ago

It was, at one point in time, Gary Stern's favorite pinball! So it must be fun right?

#9 7 years ago

I generally like faster flow games, but I do like potc even though its more stop and go. But I'm a fanboy of the movies so I'm sure that helps

The artwork is great all around, sound is pretty good. The game does a very good job of taking you into the world of pirates imo, just like tron takes you into the grid . I find it tough to get through all the objectives in the game which maybe why I keep coming back for more. Plus I've never hit that super skill shot!

Its on my short list of stern games and would love to own one day

#10 7 years ago

I picked one up a HUO, heavily modded example in September.

As far as "eye candy" goes, I think it's one of Stern's best efforts. The ship and chest are high quality toys when compared with Stern's latest efforts.

As a player, it's not one of my favorites. It is, however, really "different" from all my other pins and I like having some variety. Completing all the modes is really challenging and takes awhile.

More casual players love the theme and like it a lot (since it isn't brutal like IM or AC/DC).

In a 10 pin (or more) collection I would recommend it. In a smaller collection, I'm not sure it would last long.

#11 7 years ago

Great game! get on it! Markmon just added a thread on installing the shaker motor from pinbits as well. it shakes whenever u hit the ship, sink it, or hit the kraken.

Yes the game can be a little slow at first if u dont get anywhere in it. which im guessing is the case with Jackontherocks, he probably never owned one therefore never got anywhere in the game. and never really gave it a fair chance..
Once you sink a few ships and get tortuga MB going the game comes to life and really kicks ass! not to mention i think it has one of the best toppers in pinball! skull and swords!

#12 7 years ago

The game is really unique and challenging. I like. It a lot. It's a great addition to a larger collection. The game may not have a lot of flow. In fact it's interestingly flowless. But there some really great strategy in getting to tortuga mb stacked with sinking the ship. The sounds are really good also.

To those that ruled it out as a turd when it first came out, the rules have come a long way since. Unless you have given it another chance since, your review is horribly out of date.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

I can't stand the left ramp that goes into the spinner. I dread that shot and avoid it. It just kills the flow of the game.

Im guessing u never got tortuga mb than, for me i love the left ramp, u can have three balls locked and spinning while playing one and than they all drop!

#14 7 years ago

I place it in the sane neighborhood as avatar, TF, BBH and the stones. it's a decent game but it's not LOTR or TSPP either.

#15 7 years ago

I would like to have variety as far as fast vs.s stop and go pins. This would be one of 12to14 pins so maybe it would be a good one to add. I may be able to get it around
4700_4800 with I believe no mods.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

I would like to have variety as far as fast vs.s stop and go pins. This would be one of 12to14 pins so maybe it would be a good one to add. I may be able to get it around

at that price should be HUO minty fresh! i see a couple HUO lately around 4500-5000 more so actually selling around 4500.. goodluck

there is a couple of mods you will need

1. ship LED kit only like $30

2. Matt McGee topper if u can find one

3. LEDs throughout

4. shaker motor which i still need to add to mine. THanks to Markmon's thread

#17 7 years ago

I was actually surprised by this game. I put one in a location next to a beater monster bash, (both set at .50) and monster bash earned 2-1 what pirates did. Pulled the bash put in a fish tales or something, and at best, the pirates did equal to other game. Moved it around a bit, with no results. It was basically a new game, that only broke once. I think it was the drive gear on ship. I tried to like it too, but just couldn't get into it, so I dumped it. Now with that being said, if you like it just buy it. These things are like pies, there's a flavor for everyone.

#18 7 years ago

not to mention i think it has one of the best toppers in pinball! skull and swords!

Good point...here's a pic of two cool toppers on mine. A little over the top, but definitely add to the look.

IMG_6784.jpg

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

I would like to have variety as far as fast vs.s stop and go pins.

This isn't just stop and go though, it's stop and take a nap, and then have a shower, lunch, and think about going again. It's not just TZ or TSPP stop or go, this really emphasizes the stop.

I don't have a lot of play on it, but it's a love it or hate it game it seems.

#20 7 years ago

I owned a POTC for a few years and just couldn't get into it. A real disappointment as I love the theme. The sinking ship is a fantastic toy, but beyond that the game just didn't work for me. Ruleset feels like work. No modes to speak of (other than collect the pirates) and practically every single shot besides Jack the Monkey kills the flow. Note that I enjoy stop-and-go games as much as flow games, but I couldn't get into POTC. One of the few games I've sold with absolutely zero regrets.

#21 7 years ago

What's the super skill shot?

#22 7 years ago

I really liked it when I owned, and non-pinheads LOVED it. I mean, I had family members who visit every few months pretty ticked with me when they found out I sold it. If it's something where it is just for a total hardcore pinhead, it may not be the best pick, but for fun with family and friends who aren't hardcores, I've never found anything better.

#23 7 years ago

it's a very uneventful game. Just shoot the ball around until stuff happens. Doesn't have that methodical feel to it, like some sterns has. Has more of just shoot around until shit happens feel. I don't care for it at all.

#24 7 years ago

I just bought one a few weeks ago not HUO paid 4k for it. I like it but I don't love it. Not sure it is going to be a keeper for me as of yet. I am thinking of trading it for X-Men pro or Avengers pro still waiting to see video of Avengers before I make my decision.

All of my friends and family love it and are pissed that I said I may not keep it.

#25 7 years ago

Super Skill shot: If I remember correctly, plunge ball so if falls immediately back to right flipper, then hit left outside lane above the left sling. tough shot.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

What's the super skill shot?

On the plunge, short plunge the ball so it comes back to the right flipper. Shoot the ball through the left mini loop that goes behind the treasure standup and you get a 3 million super skill shot. If the ball goes through the left mini loop, all the way across the playfield and down the same mini loop on the right side of the playfield it gives you a super duper skill shot and 10 million points. If the game isn't leveled right, it is almost impossible to get the super duper skill shot unless you get a lucky bounce.

#28 7 years ago

I think POTC is a fun game (and I've played a good 500+ games on it)

#29 7 years ago

I think the launch ramp and return is poorly conceived and other than sinking the ship and the spinning disk it is boring. I find it my last choice to play next to SW episode 1.

#30 7 years ago

Thanks have to look at the super skill shot

Can anyone give me a strategy for the game, for example what to stack and so forth? It may make me enjoy the game more if I'm doing it right. Plus I had a guest who claimed all my high scores I need to get them back.

#31 7 years ago

I like to play the game on location, but I would never want to own it. It's simply too slow - shoot the ball in the spinning disk and it gets held... wait. Shoot the ball at the first ship and it gets held... wait. Shoot the treasure chest and it gets held... wait.

I did hear Dennis Nordman say he intentionally designed the game without flow so it isn't as intimidating to newbies. Something like people new to pinball don't want to be constantly flipping.

But, I've got to give Dennis a lot credit on this design. It doesn't have a single orbit and no ordinary ramps (Jack the Monkey is kind of a ramp). It's a really different game. In fact, Dennis does a great job of making all of his games feel different from the others.

#32 7 years ago

I had a HUO one and sold it in a little over a month. I think is the the shortest lived game I've owned. Terrible music, bad callouts, too many things that stop or interrupt the game. I'm not necessarily a flow guy nor do I hate stop and go games, but POTC just grates on my nerves. Nobody in my family played it. The only good thing I can say about it is aesthetically it is beautiful. I've since played the game several other times and each time it reaffirmed my decision to sell it. I don't miss it.

#33 7 years ago

I like the game because it is different. Beautiful looking game, especially all LED'd out. In the mood for something different, it's the game.

#34 7 years ago

I like the game. You have to be in the right mood for it, as it is not exactly an action packed frenzy. It might pair well with IM, as they are polar opposites.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Thanks have to look at the super skill shot
Can anyone give me a strategy for the game, for example what to stack and so forth? It may make me enjoy the game more if I'm doing it right. Plus I had a guest who claimed all my high scores I need to get them back.

Stacking is key. You want to start a Kraken and then Tortuga so your ball save lasts forever. Other way around and Kraken has almost no ball save. After starting Tortuga, you want to put the next 2 balls up there as well, to get the max multiplier for scoring. Adding in heart multiball to these really makes the points go up. You can get heart a couple letters away and then complete it quickly in another multiball. Also, do not waste your max jackpot value award of 2 million. Make sure you are stacking multiballs on that ball, otherwise you lose out on a lot of points.

#36 7 years ago

It's fun until it's not.

Pros:
-Ship is a great toy w/ multiple stages of destruction & animation
-Cool Multiball rules using the spinner to lock balls dictating the # of balls you get during Multi
-Unique layout...no other modern game is really like it at all

Cons:
-Zero flow (may or may not be important to you)...every shot stops.
-Goals can feel monotonous (Hit ship 100 times...hit chest 100 times...)
-Many people put a green light on the ship making it look like a '89 Gameboy screen

I used to really hate POTC....then I decided to buy one and figure it out. I don't hate it anymore...I definitely respect it...but it got old after about 300 plays or so and I decided to sell it.

#38 7 years ago

Im selling mine. Let me know if interested

image.jpg

#39 7 years ago

Love the game!!

#40 7 years ago

i like it but, it's slow as $hit. pull up a bar stool, because its going to be a long boring game. watch the clock in the meanwhile. the animation, and the stop and go kills me. get's old after 100 games. becomes a chore. shoot the ball up tortuga and walk to the fridge for a beer. it's going to be a while before it comes down. still a cool game, but too slow for my tastes. i don't have the patience for it aymore. glad i passed on two of them.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from cmproductions:

Im selling mine. Let me know if interested

Ohp, there's that "Gameboy Green" Ship!

I think it's interesting that for all the people who don't like the game or criticize its flow (including myself) ...it's one of Stern's best selling games ever. So are TSPP and LOTR, other games that are criticized by the Flow Police. I think that means its pretty clear that flow and speed isn't for everyone - especially novice players. So if you're thinking about getting POTC, think about YOUR tastes in gameplay.

#42 7 years ago

POTC has been in my collection longer than most. Looks great with leds and is different from other pins- agree good game to have in collection of 5 or more pins

#43 7 years ago

Had mine for about three months and still loving it, I think it has a good clear rule set. Would agree may not want as only game in collection.

#44 7 years ago

Beautiful Pin . Stern should have new software downloads. Integrate all the sequels into the pin.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from sterlingpinball:

Beautiful Pin . Stern should have new software downloads. Integrate all the sequels into the pin.

The game is based really loosely on the movies...I'm not sure there would be any benefit to incorporating anything from 3 and 4 into it. There isn't any movie dialog or music in the game as it stands anyway...it's a relatively original interpretation of the theme. I mean...that's like trying to put stuff from Addams Family Values in TAF or something. The game is what it is....plus its out of production, they don't hold the license anymore...no way they could put any more creative effort into that one when there are recent games that desperately need updates just for stuff to work right! LOL

#46 7 years ago

I think its fun, probably not fun enough @ the going price.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I mean...that's like trying to put stuff from Addams Family Values in TAF or something. /blockquote>

Can you imagine TAF having the 'eat me' song from the camp's Thanksgiving play with dancing food on the DMD? Pure awesomeness

#48 7 years ago

I think it's a great game.

#49 7 years ago

Yes, it is a fun game IMO.

#50 7 years ago

They should go back and include...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside