Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Skyemont
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Seen one on E-Bay sell for $1000 bucks.. What are your thoughts on the game for that price?

#2 7 years ago

It has its defenders but even Barry Oursler said he didn't like it and he designed it!

But I considered putting a bid on that same machine myself.

But then again there was a thread like this a week or so ago so maybe Popeye is the new WH20/Shadow

#3 7 years ago

some would say that it would be worth it for parts alone

dmd $130
power driver board $300
cpu board $250
coils/switches $200

personally i think if you could add a newer DMD game to your collection for under $1200 you are doing good. as for the game itself, while it is not on my wish list, i think any game can be fun to play.

just my thoughts

#4 7 years ago

Absolutely. Way underrated. Wasn't there just a big thread here about Popeye? Or maybe on RGP. Either way if you have the cash to spend, give it a shot. Worse that could happen is you don't love it and you move it along. At $1k you won't lose money.

#5 7 years ago

I played Popeye at the PHOF and had fun with it. The upper playfield got repetitive but it's not the worst game I've ever played (Orbitor 1 has that distinction.) For 1000 bucks I'd probably buy it.

#6 7 years ago

So I started that thread. It's definitely NOT the next WH2O/Shadow, but it's fun. I think for 1k you can buy it and play it for a few months then get rid of it and get your money back. If you have kids, then it's a no brainer. I have SM, IM, IJ, and Popeye, and my son says Popeye is BY FAR his favorite pin. Too bad for him... I'm about to ditch Popeye and IJ to fund XMEN to complete my all Stern Marvel Superhero Lineup.

-Wes

#7 7 years ago

It's probably the W/B DMD that I've liked least out of all I've ever played. That being said, I only played it 3 times. For a grand I'd take a chance and add it to my collection. I've had strange thoughts about trying to mod it and make a totally clear upper playfield (not just the existing circle window being clear, the whole thing) and adding a clear section to the blue animal ramp that obscures the left outlane, making nudge saves impossible.

I'd like to toy around with one.

#9 7 years ago

I've had strange thoughts about trying to mod it and make a totally clear upper playfield (not just the existing circle window being clear, the whole thing)

That sounds like a great idea. Makes me want to do it to my WWF upper pf.

#10 7 years ago

Have there been any other games besides Popeye that use the flipper button to kick the ball over in the certain lane you want, like Popeye has on the left side? I was just wondering as Pinball Fx has that feature on 2 or 3 other there games and I've never seen it on any other real games.

I highly suggest everyone read Python's original idea for the story of the Popeye pin....it's....ummmm....just read it. Good entertainment.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from ThePostmaster:

Makes me want to do it to my WWF upper pf.

oh yeah!

#12 7 years ago

Hell yes, any DMD under ~$1200 is a buy-it-now!

Robert

#13 7 years ago

I think it gets a bad rap because it followed up twilight zone. The game is alright especially for a grand or less I got one along with a non-working BSD and it was good enough that I didn't part it out to get the BSD working....

#14 7 years ago

I rather like it. It just has the issue of being a pin with a kids' theme, without the open playfield that kids seem to prefer. Oh, make sure that the center lock mech works, because they are very delicate. Makes them terrible to put on location, but it's fine for your basement.

#15 7 years ago

One word....Yes

#16 7 years ago

When i see the prices people on this site are willing to pay for things, it's absolutely worth it.

#17 7 years ago

Any B/W DMD is worth $1000.

I don't like the game...but it is certainly worth it.

Pete

#18 7 years ago

Thanks, I knew I should have went with my gut feeling on this one.. but I let my wallet talk me out of it. I should have picked it up and at least gave it a shot. Thanks again for the reviews, maybe I'll come across another deal sometime.

#19 7 years ago

I have one, it will be on the chopping block soon to pay for WOZ, but it is a very deep game quite honestly. The theme is more family oriented and childish, but the gameplay is fast and hard. The upper PF is very difficult to complete, I haven't done it yet.

The obstructed shots are a PITA, but I find only the one leading to the mini to be a real hard one to judge.

Many small design flaws which I worked out on mine, but the depth is there in this machine... The skill shot isn't hard, but is a cool design in getting you closer to whatever remaing objectives you need.

#20 7 years ago

How many W/B DMD's can you get for a grand? Not many, so yes.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

How many W/B DMD's can you get for a grand? Not many, so yes.

Exactly! So yes its a widebody and a DMD so 1k is well worth it

#22 7 years ago

For 1000 u can't loose! It's a fun game...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 50.00
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 28.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Machine - For Sale
Olive Branch, MS
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside