Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 168 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Reznnate
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 6.57.01 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 6.57.19 AM (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 10.24.25 AM (resized).png
    BD5BFC2E-0858-4896-A0A2-77161B21CF02 (resized).jpeg
    Stadium_lights (resized).jpg
    59AF1DDA-0CDD-45C3-98BE-3651BAA3693F (resized).jpeg
    woz before (resized).JPG
    woz after (resized).JPG
    03dfcc4d2d2effa3a824df53058e81213cf16a9d_png_png (resized).jpg
    20171106_235609 (resized).jpg
    20171109_123404 (resized).jpg
    dominos_pinball (resized).jpg
    blackrose (resized).jpg
    black_rose (resized).png
    woz horizontal (resized).jpg

There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 6 years ago

Totally agree. I really only have 100% for streams as you need tons of light for 60 fps. Just enough brightness so that you don’t sacrifice the original look of the game and can also track the ball everywhere.

#52 6 years ago

This is clearly a situation for YMMV.

I prefer to play in the dark because pinball lighting to me is all about CONTRAST. Diffusely lighting the playfield is totally analogous to playing in rooms with high ambient lighting. Even if you turn the intensity down you are still diminishing the impact of regional difference in GI and flasher effects. Its just not for me.

Some machines clearly benefit from a playability standpoint, which is fine. But I would rather add lighting in a focused, intentional manner.

Either way, I am glad that the option exists.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

This is clearly a situation for YMMV.
    I prefer to play in the dark because pinball lighting to me is all about CONTRAST. Diffusely lighting the playfield is totally analogous to playing in rooms with high ambient lighting. Even if you turn the intensity down you are still diminishing the impact of regional difference in GI and flasher effects. Its just not for me.
    Some machines clearly benefit from a playability standpoint, which is fine. But I would rather add lighting in a focused, intentional manner.
    Either way, I am glad that the option exists.

Watch this. Not sure you can have much more contrast than this. Haha. Much more intense on video as cameras can’t keep up with that kind of contrast, but still you can see you get plenty of contrast with these.

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Watch this. Not sure you can have much more contrast than this. Haha. Much more intense on video as cameras can’t keep up with that kind of contrast, but still you can see you get plenty of contrast with these.
    » YouTube video

The all-off effect works nicely, but everything else is what I don't like- diffuse lighting or flashing which diminishes contrast.

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Can't stand them, way too bright. I think it detracts from the original lighting in games.

I use the controls to balance brightness and white level with my custom color choice. After the first couple minutes I was able to adjust the brightness to levels that suited the mood and the color to turquoise to highlight the Zombie Yeti artwork.

It has also improved my game as I can track the ball easier and GB is is challenging enough as is. It is like having a new game! I highly recommend the Pinstadium kit with both options. The UV/Glow is amazing on this game.

My photography leaves a lot to be desired but here are two shots with the system off and with it on. It looks even more impressive in person.

7AB32A6A-A860-43AF-8F3E-A3FD3CD55AD8 (resized).jpeg7AB32A6A-A860-43AF-8F3E-A3FD3CD55AD8 (resized).jpeg

6F892644-F9DF-4B00-95A6-3C9BE38312FE (resized).jpeg6F892644-F9DF-4B00-95A6-3C9BE38312FE (resized).jpeg

#56 6 years ago

Just to be clear these are nothing like standard LED light strips. They have a wifi interface, GI interface with your machine (including power from the pin), flasher interface, housing to block the light sources from view, and magnetic mount system. An extremely well thought out product.

#57 6 years ago

just make you own...and the use a pinduino to control it, if you want.

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from algrande:

just make you own...and the use a pinduino to control it, if you want.

Good luck

#59 6 years ago

I can do the same thing with Adafruit neopixelsrings and Trinket. I made pop bumper rings for my Pinbot and LEDs for my aquarium.

I don't think there's enough clearance for strips on a lot of the older solid state games.

IMG_20171102_195943971 (resized).jpgIMG_20171102_195943971 (resized).jpg

#60 6 years ago

Looks like a nice mod...but COLOR DMD is by far the best mod ever...theres not even a close second (at least that one can buy readily)....

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Looks like a nice mod...but COLOR DMD is by far the best mod ever...theres not even a close second (at least that one can buy readily)....

Only reason why I give these the slight nod is that CDMD is for the spectator not the player. I don’t experience the awesomeness that is CDMD unless I’m watching someone else play. Pinstadium is directly experienced by the player. It’s like a sub, shaker, or upgraded sound. Love those mods the best.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I can do the same thing with Adafruit neopixelsrings and Trinket. I made pop bumper rings for my Pinbot and LEDs for my aquarium.
    I don't think there's enough clearance for strips on a lot of the older solid state games.

Looks like the clearance on my Firepower.

Since the lights will be so close to the playfield they don’t throw as much light to the middle of the game as well, but still a big difference.

6EA4061E-4122-4AFC-B911-52988138B14F (resized).jpeg6EA4061E-4122-4AFC-B911-52988138B14F (resized).jpeg

#63 6 years ago

These comparison pics really tell the story, especially the RZ game on page one. These lights make a huge difference on how well you can light up the playfield and the appearance of your game by being able to change the colors to anyway that you like it. This is such a nice mod, props to the designer!

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

These comparison pics really tell the story, especially the RZ game on page one. These lights make a huge difference on how well you can light up the playfield and the appearance of your game by being able to change the colors to anyway that you like it. This is such a nice mod, props to the designer!

Those RZ pics both had pinstadium. It was to show the variety of settings you can use.

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Only reason why I give these the slight nod is that CDMD is for the spectator not the player. I don’t experience the awesomeness that is CDMD unless I’m watching someone else play. Pinstadium is directly experienced by the player. It’s like a sub, shaker, or upgraded sound. Love those mods the best.

point taken, but the color dmd changes the entire game experience over the standard dmd display (IMHO)....

#66 6 years ago

I love my pinstadium kit and I love color DMD. But I'll be damn if my favorite mod isn't the pingulp! Ya gotta have a safe and secure place for your frosty beverage.

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

I love my pinstadium kit and I love color DMD. But I'll be damn if my favorite mod isn't the pingulp! Ya gotta have a safe and secure place for your frosty beverage.

Good point...I like mine as well...and its cheap

#68 6 years ago

If anyone wants to see a great video from Zach @ SDTM Pinball showing off the Pinstadium Lights click on the link below. SDTM is a great pinball show and a must watch for any pinball enthusiast. If you do decide you like what you see in the video there is a coupon code for a very aggressive discount on your next purchase through Pinstadium.

Enjoy and see for yourself. If you like it take advantage and save a few bucks. Also Zach is the real Billy Mays of Pinball.

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Those RZ pics both had pinstadium. It was to show the variety of settings you can use.

Right and that’s the point that I was trying to make. It shows you what all these lights can do other than just light up your playfield. You can literally change the look of your game with many different colors and stuff. These lights aren’t a one trick pony, they do all kinds of cool stuff.

#70 6 years ago

what does the GI Plug-in option look like? Does it replace the alligator clips?

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from JimB:

what does the GI Plug-in option look like? Does it replace the alligator clips?

It's a custom PCB board that has the clips still and they connect the + and - of any GI connection using them as the trigger so that the Pin Stadiums are synced with the machine GI controls.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#72 6 years ago

I have had mine for a few weeks and just posted a review in the main thread, so I will not rehash everything there.

I don't know if it is the single greatest mod ever, but I would say that the improvement to my WOZ was the most dramatic of any mod I have ever purchased for any of my games. So, for dark games, yes, it might be the greatest mod ever.

And to those saying it makes everything too bright or look washed out, it is customizable (through a very easy to use app) from 1 to 100 in terms of brightness for both the general white channel and the infinite number of custom colors you can create in the other channel. Everything being too bright or washed out was a concern of mine before I got it, but you really have complete control of the brightness and color levels and can dial it in to your personal tastes or room conditions.

woz horizontal (resized).jpgwoz horizontal (resized).jpg

woz vertical (resized).jpgwoz vertical (resized).jpg

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar123:

I have had mine for a few weeks and just posted a review in the main thread, so I will not rehash everything there.
    I don't know if it is the single greatest mod ever, but I would say that the improvement to my WOZ was the most dramatic of any mod I have ever purchased for any of my games. So, for dark games, yes, it might be the greatest mod ever.
    And to those saying it makes everything too bright or look washed out, it is customizable (through a very easy to use app) from 1 to 100 in terms of brightness for both the general white channel and the infinite number of custom colors you can create in the other channel. Everything being too bright or washed out was a concern of mine before I got it, but you really have complete control of the brightness and color levels and can dial it in to your personal tastes or room conditions.

I agree they are incredible on WOZ and really make the game playable in a dark room which it really isn't otherwise.

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar123:

Wow there IS a yellow brick road in that game! Lol. Now that’s how the art Should be presented! This game like many are a prime example of this not being a Mod but more of a Requirement. Thanks for sharing!

#75 6 years ago

How do you lift the playfield up with these installed?

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

How do you lift the playfield up with these installed?

They are held on by a magnetic strip so simply pull them off the sides of the game, lay them on the playfield, then lift the playfield.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

They are held on by a magnetic strip so simply pull them off the sides of the game, lay them on the playfield, then lift the playfield.

What happens when you stand the playfield up against the backbox ?

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from ronaldvg:

What happens when you stand the playfield up against the backbox ?

I lay my lights in an X and let them lean up against the backglass when all the way up. Every game is a bit different with the junk on the playfield. Once you do it a few times you get the hang of it.

#79 6 years ago

Oh and these things are durable. I’ve forgotten to take them off before lifting the playfield and also dropped them multiple times.

I don’t suggest doing any of this stuff but they can take a beating from what I’ve seen.

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Oh and these things are durable. I’ve forgotten to take them off before lifting the playfield and also dropped them multiple times.
    I don’t suggest doing any of this stuff but they can take a beating from what I’ve seen.

Yes they are designed to be very durable and have a reinforced design as a result.

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah, I had one of mine crunched between the back of the PF and cabinet opening when lowering the PF in Pinball Magic (unusual playfield tilt / removal on that game) one time. It had slipped while I was lowering and I thought for sure it would be bent and or some LEDs would be damaged - nope, no worse for wear, though I wouldn't really recommend doing that to them.

#82 6 years ago

My Black Rose was very dark. I could barely see the top third of play field. I placed invisible glass in and it made a big difference. I ordered pinstadium to complete the game. I can't wait to see the difference.

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

I agree they are incredible on WOZ and really make the game playable in a dark room.

Quoted from Yelobird:

WoZ, like many games, is a prime example of this not being a Mod but more of a Requirement.

The subdued lighting I deliberately chose for my game room makes Pinstadiums essential for most of my pins (ten Pinstadium sets ordered so far). And I was prepared to recommend them to everyone I know. But I went to Rick's game party this last Saturday and the bright lighting in the ceiling of his pinball room illuminated his playfields nicely. Based on that, I think the dimmer your game room the more you need Pinstadiums. And they can help darker games like WoZ even in a brighter room.

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

The subdued lighting I deliberately chose for my game room makes Pinstadiums essential for most of my pins (ten Pinstadium sets ordered so far). And I was prepared to recommend them to everyone I know. But I went to Rick's game party this last Saturday and the bright lighting in the ceiling of his pinball room illuminated his playfields nicely. Based on that, I think the dimmer your game room the more you need Pinstadiums. And they can help darker games like WoZ even in a brighter room.

You are a very very good customer and supporter of Pin Stadiums and that is so appreciated. It is so great to hear your excitement for them and also to have met you in person at Expo in Chicago. Thanks for spreading the word and helping out others on this forum too.

#85 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whitenoise3000:

My Black Rose was very dark. I could barely see the top third of play field. I placed invisible glass in and it made a big difference. I ordered pinstadium to complete the game. I can't wait to see the difference.

This link may help:

Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Got the kit myself late last week and have been playing with the lights every night.....pretty sweet the customization you can get into with it. Here is a before and 3 after.....1st pic is more yellows....2nd is more reds and 3rd is more blues. My fav is the last pic comparing my Airborne that’s right next to my BR....man that pin is dark! It’s weird because I can’t even play that way now....the PF all lit up and artwork visible is absolutely the way to go!!! Love these pinstadium lights!
    Edit: This BR currently has all incandescent lights as well.

Here Pinballerchef 's link to his Black Rose. He did some nice before and afters also to show different settings you can do with the Pin Stadium app on that machine.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pin-stadium-lights-official-announcement/page/14#post-4012915

black_rose (resized).pngblack_rose (resized).png

blackrose (resized).jpgblackrose (resized).jpg

#86 6 years ago

Here is a Spooky Dominos before and after

dominos_pinball (resized).jpgdominos_pinball (resized).jpg

#87 6 years ago

Before and after of my congo. Lets just say I'm buying more!!

20171109_123404 (resized).jpg20171109_123404 (resized).jpg

20171106_235609 (resized).jpg20171106_235609 (resized).jpg

#88 6 years ago

Ordered my first set today, can’t wait to try them out!

#89 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer22:

Ordered my first set today, can’t wait to try them out!

Just be warned, they are like Pinball and potato chips, you can't just have one! lol

#90 6 years ago

It's a V good mod but not the greatest.
    One of first and greatest is still the simple LED bulb.

#91 6 years ago

Single greatest?---Gosh NO!! It's just more LED lighting. I'm not sure what the greatest is right off the top of my head but there's gotta be something better then adding more bright lights to a game.

John

#92 6 years ago

For people with poor vision it might be but to me it's a complete waste of cash.

#93 6 years ago

It's certainly the single greatest marketing push in the hobby's history. This shit is all over Pinside, Facebook and now the JJP forums.

#94 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

It's certainly the single greatest marketing push in the hobby's history. This shit is all over Pinside, Facebook and now the JJP forums.

Truly annoying and it's just goddamn spam. Spam every fucking owner threads with links to selling the shit.

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Truly annoying and it's just goddamn spam. Spam every fucking owner threads with links to selling the shit.

While not taking sides, how is it spam to represent or even promote your product in a Pinstadium thread which for the record they did Not start??? Only met Scott (Pin Stadium guy) one time at a show and he is the Least pushy sales guy you will meet! Because a few pinside collectors like a product and enjoy showing off what they did on Their machine does not mean the product or seller is Marketing?? If you wanted to avoid it you Could not enter the Pin Stadium Thread!?!?! Again, not taking sides but I personally like the product and it was a Great upgrade for Me which I am proud to recommend to any fellow pin collector Without Marketing Push, spam, or direction from the seller. If it says Pin Stadium, just Avoid the Thread! Problem solved!!! lol

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

While not taking sides, how is it spam to represent or even promote your product in a Pinstadium thread which for the record they did Not start???

It is not.
    Reading you entire post your seem to be missing the part where I was referring to their constant posts in club/owner threads, not this thread.
    lol

#97 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

He’s got a point. Little ridiculous how it is everywhere. A little too much hype IMO

#98 6 years ago

Very easy to drain/not click on pinstadium threads. If the postings of Scott really bother you that much, just put him on ignore. Pretty simple.

This is a great mod and has lots and lots of applications.

#99 6 years ago

I'm sure most of the posting is coming from people that got the product for free in return for favorable reviews. Nothing new...

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

I'm sure most of the posting is coming from people that got the product for free in return for favorable reviews. Nothing new...

I 1000000000% disagree with this.

There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-pinstadium-the-single-greatest-mod/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.