Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 168 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Reznnate
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 6.57.01 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 6.57.19 AM (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 10.24.25 AM (resized).png
    BD5BFC2E-0858-4896-A0A2-77161B21CF02 (resized).jpeg
    Stadium_lights (resized).jpg
    59AF1DDA-0CDD-45C3-98BE-3651BAA3693F (resized).jpeg
    woz before (resized).JPG
    woz after (resized).JPG
    03dfcc4d2d2effa3a824df53058e81213cf16a9d_png_png (resized).jpg
    20171106_235609 (resized).jpg
    20171109_123404 (resized).jpg
    dominos_pinball (resized).jpg
    blackrose (resized).jpg
    black_rose (resized).png
    woz horizontal (resized).jpg

There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 6 years ago

I received my Pinstadium today and while I have no affiliation with the company, my feeling is that It may be the single greatest mod available (at least for a great many machines that aren't considered well lit - I.e. Non-recent machines)

I installed it on my Addams Family, which has full LED's but is still probably a fairly dark game. But there are quite a few games I play on location that are much darker, especially Indiana Jones, which I can barely see.

It has also significantly reduced glare coming from outside the machine (including DMD glare). However fingerprints and scratches on the glass do show up significantly more as well)

I've looked at the benefits of invisiglass on location, and I have a color DMD, but in comparison, those two significantly beneficial mods, in my mind would have to be ranked after Pinstadium in order of benefit to the machine and game play.

I've never heard Pinsound in person (only online) or upgraded speakers, so I can't comment on them, but I think I'd have to rank them behind Pinstadium in order of necessity. (And that's coming from someone's who's main hobby is high end audio)

I've attached a before and 2 after pics of my machine (one warm and the other with bluish light just to show its versatility) I tried to control for exposure as best I could, but they are only iPhone6 shots and don't really do justice to how much of an improvement Pinstadium makes.

Please feel free to post your thoughts on your most beneficial mod.

Original lightingOriginal lighting
    IMG_3596 (resized).JPGIMG_3596 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3593 (resized).JPGIMG_3593 (resized).JPG

Other thoughts - the app is very well written since the owner's other profession is as an app coder. Customer service is great and responsive to problems.

My only negative is that the flasher option - while it looks amazing is perhaps a bit strong, possibly depending on how high you set the GI lighting on the app. But it can be disconnected if it proves too strong.

The GI option is highly recommended since it dims (or completely shuts off) in synch with the game's main GI lighting. It is extremely dramatic, and has brought my Addams Family to a new level, and I think may possibly even improve scores since the ball is easier to see.

#2 6 years ago

I would say that it probably is. I hope to have it on all of my games someday.

#3 6 years ago

Not the single greatest, as I would still give Pinball Browser, Pinnovators head phone jack and Pinsound higher ratings, but it definitely is one of the greatest mods around and much needed for many older games.

#4 6 years ago

definitely great. i dunno about greatest. but it's up there with ColorDMD and LED/GI OCD.

#5 6 years ago

Can't stand them, way too bright. I think it detracts from the original lighting in games.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Vdrums:

at least for a great many machines that aren't considered well lit - i.e. Non-recent machines

Quoted from thedarkknight77:

much needed for many older games.

There are some new games that really benefit from it too. My Batman66 was pretty dark in the middle of the playfield and in front of the rotisserie. Pinstadium brings out the great art and color in that playfield.

20171022_201353 (resized).jpg20171022_201353 (resized).jpg

20171022_201311 (resized).jpg20171022_201311 (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Can't stand them, way too bright. I think it detracts from the original lighting in games.

I have to agree. There’s a certain atmosphere or mood that the lighting in a game is meant to achieve. This mod seems to completely wash all of that out. I’ve seen it on TWD for instance and absolutely hate it. The game is meant to be dark. You’re killing zombies afterall. In most cases with older games I just prefer adding a spotlight or two to brighten up some exessively dark areas of a playfield. Pinstadium is just overkill IMO.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

I have to agree. There’s a certain atmosphere or mood that the lighting in a game is meant to achieve. This mod seems to completely wash all of that out. I’ve seen it on TWD for instance and absolutely hate it. The game is meant to be dark. You’re killing zombies afterall. In most cases with older games I just prefer adding a spotlight or two to brighten up some exessively dark areas of a playfield. Pinstadium is just overkill IMO.

the lights hook into the GI and cooperate with whatever ambiance or light show the original designer intended.

#10 6 years ago

It's tough to look at the before and after on that batman and think it's what was intended by designers.

Pinstadium looks great on most machines I've seen with it

#11 6 years ago

It's good but no, not the greatest.

#12 6 years ago

I don't like them on all games but they are great on certain games. The GI and flasher effects are awesome.

#13 6 years ago

I am not a fan of bright lit. I would rather add a spot or two where needed for center of playfield.

I like having certain areas of the pin a little darker and having certain areas lit up and glowing or throwing light a certain way or in a specific area. I think the inserts look nicer lit up in little darker setting.

Throwing light over the entire playfield just washes out everything for me. If i want bright which i dont i can turn the lights on.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ns2973:

It's tough to look at the before and after on that batman and think it's what was intended by designers.
    Pinstadium looks great on most machines I've seen with it

Not sure if you meant that the original design wasn't bright enough? (that was my takeaway)

IMO B66 looks great with PinStadium installed -it brings out the bright colors of the TV Show in a way the original pin lighting doesn't. Again IMO, it doesn't work as well on TAF because the game looses some of the creepiness factor - so I'd have to agree; it makes some specific games look great!

#15 6 years ago

It is definitely in that "top tier" of mods that really improve the game experience, like ColourDMD, PinSound, etc.
    I love being able to see all the playfield art really well. Between all three, a game would be a much more vivid experience.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

the lights hook into the GI and cooperate with whatever ambiance or light show the original designer intended.

The fact that it cooperates with the GI in the game is very cool and I’m sure in certain instances during gameplay it adds some great effects but overall I just find that it floods the playfield with excessive lighting and actually kills the designers intended ambiance.

Also, it’s great that you cannot directly see the pinstadium lighting on the particular game you are playing but when you are a couple of games away from one, that has to get a bit annoying.

Not to bash on it too much, I mean there’s a lot of aspects of this mod that are very innovative and unique but It’s just not for everyone I guess. At least there are more lighting options available now. Glad to see a lot of people are excited about this.

5BAE9CF3-7973-41B0-A39A-7D8C81AACA91 (resized).jpeg5BAE9CF3-7973-41B0-A39A-7D8C81AACA91 (resized).jpeg

#18 6 years ago

While pictures and the settings used for illustration tend to show huge differences from the original, the Pinstadium allows for very subtle lighting enhancements as well.

You can fill in as much or little light as desired, and it really has to be seen in person to be appreciated.

#19 6 years ago

Not the "single greatest mod"

ColorDMD
    PinSound
    OCD LED & OCD GI boards for ultimate LED control
    Pinball Browser
    Invisiglass/PDI
    Mirror Blades

#20 6 years ago

Are we talking greatest mod for the money? Looking at the cost of $200 - 260ish for pinstadium lights.

I don't know about you all, but I put an external subwoofer on all my modern games. $80 goes a long way for a big impact. Plus, I get to keep the sub when I sell the game.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from brenna98:

Plus, I get to keep the sub when I sell the game.

I include any mods, including subs when I sell a game. I also include removed parts, extra insert decals, manuals, documents and whatever I have related to that game. I even threw in a T-shirt once.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I include any mods

Some mods are easier to remove than others. Plus, mods don't necessarily add value to a game unless the buyer sees value in it.
    If the new buyer wants a the external subwoofer, he can buy it from me or Amazon. Makes no difference. I'm not giving it away.

Speaking of removable. Looks like the pinstadium lights utilize an adhesive magnet tape on the inside of the cabinet walls.
    Is this easily removed without damage?
    Can I buy more magnet tape so I can move the lights to a different game?

And, are there videos to show the difference that the flasher colors make?

#23 6 years ago

I can tell you this. Since installing it in my TWD:premium. Wow. My scores have doubled or tripled. No lie. I had issues tracking the ball before on that machine. Now not so much.

I do love the fact to that if someone thinks it’s too bright or that the lights take away from gameplay I simply grab my phone and turn them off!! Simple as that!!

I too hope to make it a “standard” mod to all my machines. (Alongside modfathers pincup and custom shooter rod, and best masters lighted shooter housing.)

Thanks Scott for making such a great product!!

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

You know you can adjust the brightness, right?

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from brenna98:

Some mods are easier to remove than others. Plus, mods don't necessarily add value to a game unless the buyer sees value in it.
    If the new buyer wants a the external subwoofer, he can buy it from me or Amazon. Makes no difference. I'm not giving it away.
    Speaking of removable. Looks like the pinstadium lights utilize an adhesive magnet tape on the inside of the cabinet walls.
    Is this easily removed without damage?
    Can I buy more magnet tape so I can move the lights to a different game?
    And, are there videos to show the difference that the flasher colors make?

Yes, to all of these. I don't see them on the site yet but I know Scott was offering additional mag strips and the adhesive should come off regular sides, mirror blades or side art easily enough with a little heat and clean up afterwards. Scott has mirror or art blades in a lot of his games so I know he had those things in mind when he designed these. I haven't seen the colors other than UV Glow for flashers in action.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

You know you can adjust the brightness, right?

Well, the ones I have seen were at shows - and they hurt my eyes from 3 pins away. So those are cranked to the max, then?

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Well, the ones I have seen were at shows - and they hurt my eyes from 3 pins away. So those are cranked to the max, then?

Mine at the Cleveland show was. It was cranked to 11.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from fxdwg:

Since installing it in my TWD:premium. Wow. My scores have doubled or tripled. No lie. I had issues tracking the ball before on that machine. Now not so much.

This says a lot about why I'm so high on this mod. How many other mods can actually improve your score?

#29 6 years ago

I ordered it specifically for TAF. I like what I've seen. Like others have said, I don't know about every game having it though.

#31 6 years ago

I personally can't say #1 on any Mod list as I think that title is Very selective and Very much of personal taste and also in this case depends on the environment your games are in. I have installed these on several games and the Absolutely look Incredible. Not to come off as an infomercial but there really isn't much not to Like about the product. It's simple, easily removable, highlights All the beautiful playfield art as it should be seen, and its easily configurable to taste. In seconds you can set the light level from barely a glow to dam near sunlight! lol All at the Users taste. As for the show, I did talk with Scott and as this is his Marketing Booth yes he had those awesome bad boys turned up to Nuclear Bright since the product needed to be Shown and the room was already Lit for hotel exhibit safety. It's true that not Everyone loves change or anything (mod or otherwise) not naturally received with the game but thats the beauty of this product. It is a universal solution for most All games that is easily installed/setup/controlled or not required for those that don't wish to. There are a few games that could easily get by without this market solution but there are also Many more that Really need it! I played Alien tonight, Neat game but for the life of me (or possibly my age) I could not even See the playfield let alone a Ball!! I love the product and the support and guidance from the Pin Stadium team is Beyond outstanding for anyone considering the product! And to #pipes comment.... Since when can you only kill Zombies at Night?? lol Have you Watched "The Walking Dead"? They are not Vampires, they are Walking Dead!?? lol Sorry just didn't get his point.

#32 6 years ago

What are they actually..... Led strips on channel that are hooked into the GI. Seems expensive if thats all they are. LMK and THX

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

What are they actually..... Led strips on channel that are hooked into the GI. Seems expensive if thats all they are. LMK and THX

Very true observation and to be honest that was actually my first thought when I seen this product released. As a Mod maker of sorts myself I thought that can't be so hard? That changed when I seen the product. These are NOT Amazon LED strips. He has these Custom manufactured for not only power requirements but also a true dispersed light. Way outside my DIY ability. They are controlled by your game via a very crafty created controller board and the kits I recieved were plug and play to the system of choice. Yes, not a cheap upgrade (I'm Cheap!) but after I bit the bullet I must say it was the Best money I personally have spent on my (select) machines in a long while. For me and my setup, I could buy this flexible creative solution or invest in (last I checked) $300 special pinball glass and $20 duck bills to shade my DMD from glare. This to me and my setup was a great solution to solve many pesky glare etc issues while drastically improving the feel and enjoyment of Play which is why I enjoy Pinball. To play.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from brenna98:

Are we talking greatest mod for the money? Looking at the cost of $200 - 260ish for pinstadium lights.
    I don't know about you all, but I put an external subwoofer on all my modern games. $80 goes a long way for a big impact. Plus, I get to keep the sub when I sell the game.

Dunno. Custom instruction cards look pretty nice for free/$10 donation or so.

Edit. This post just cost me $250. This might make people’s skin crawl, but would this work for a classic Bally, like Flash Gordon?

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

I played Alien tonight, Neat game but for the life of me (or possibly my age) I could not even See the playfield let alone a Ball!!

Don't you dare put those aircraft landing strip lights on Alien!

#36 6 years ago

Just my opinion, but I don't like how any of the games look with these installed. Everything is all bright and washed out. Just my personal opinion though, if you like them then go for it. Please remove them before you sell your game to me though, Thx!

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Everything is all bright and washed out.

Brightness is controlled. Both of these games have the pinstadium lights.

B91C4F54-12EB-4EDF-8861-B50B1056656D (resized).jpegB91C4F54-12EB-4EDF-8861-B50B1056656D (resized).jpeg

9B9A7CFE-37F1-4003-AAA4-1C23FDE19DAD (resized).jpeg9B9A7CFE-37F1-4003-AAA4-1C23FDE19DAD (resized).jpeg

Also. These are $150 if you get the GI piece only. I think these are most beneficial for streamers and operators. Quick and easy and makes it much easier to track the ball especially in dark rooms. The scores being higher comment is absolutely true. People will be drawn to the game from the lights. Would be interesting to see if these increase earnings on location as well.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

People will be drawn to the game from the lights.

Poltergeist04 (resized).jpgPoltergeist04 (resized).jpg

#39 6 years ago

Quoted from wayout440:Can't stand them, way too bright. I think it detracts from the original lighting in games.

Doesn't own the product. Doesn't know the brightness can be adjusted.

#40 6 years ago

Haha. Gryszzz said it best at the Cleveland show. “Chuck I can see your GOT from the parking lot!!”

#41 6 years ago

I don't know...it could be old age for me, but I solve the problem by turning the lights on in the room.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

Doesn't own the product. Doesn't know the brightness can be adjusted.

Yes I don't own the product, and everyone has made me well aware that they can be adjusted. I wouldn't add a even a spotlight to my classic games, they have an ambiance created by light and shadow that the design intended. It's just my opinion, if you like them - knock your socks off.

JackbotFeature (resized).jpgJackbotFeature (resized).jpg

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

The fact that it cooperates with the GI in the game is very cool and I’m sure in certain instances during gameplay it adds some great effects but overall I just find that it floods the playfield with excessive lighting and actually kills the designers intended ambiance.

What was the Designers thinking when it comes to WOZ or the New Aliens "ambiance" ? We're they thinking you could play pinball with one of those flashlight headbands. Perhaps its not for every game unless you have pinball line up OCD like I do. It is a must for certain games and depending on your tastes it is a very good compliment on all others. Choose your color and brightness carefully through the custom app and you will be in great shape. If you are an operator in a dark gameroom or Resturaunt / Bar you are missing out if you do not have these on your games. Missing out on all that extra money they earn because people can see them more and it draws more attention to the game! I was skeptical in the beginning as well. Had to take a leap of faith before buying. All I can say is there is no looking back and zero regrets. I might add the build quality on these units are absolutely amazing. There is nothing cheap about the product whatsoever. These things are built to last and feel solid to the touch. The company has impeccable customer service. If you send an email they respond within seconds very attentive to their customers. This speaks a lot about a company.

Jonathan
    Amusement Services of America

#44 6 years ago

I jumped in on this mod during the preorder phase and I couldn't be happier with these! They provide awesome even lighting throughout the playfield and to make things even better are completely customizable to your liking! The picture below is my personal game this is the lighting type that I prefer.

I personally like playing my games in dark rooms to enhance the light show and with RZ that game is WAY dark. Mostly intentional I'm sure but it definitely needed some help lighting wise. This kid allowed me to keep the spooky feel but gain extra light so I could actually see the playfield art.

The flasher feature is AWESOME! I have the UV+Glow and it does put out some intense light but in a great way. It helps to add to the intensity and excitement while playing.

Build quality and support is great! Scott has always been reachable and more than willing to help and is quite active on the forums. I'm certain he's got other ideas to enhance these even further!

IMG_1368 (resized).JPGIMG_1368 (resized).JPG

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

First thing I thought when I saw the posts about them, and then I actually saw them in person, saw how they are mounted, how they can be controlled and how easily removable they are - it's clearly much, much more than it first appears to be. That being said it certainly isn't for everyone (what is) and definitely not for every game. I'm an incandescent guy for the most part and if I do convert to LEDs it's low-output warm whites (I love the Comet retro ones) except for certain games. But WOZ and Pinball Magic are two great example of where this product resolves a major problem with the game IMO and I know there are others. On the other hand my STTNG will probably never see them installed because I think that game looks great just the way it is. The fact the mod is super easy to remove if you want to sell a game adds value to it to me, just like PDI / Invisiglass it's not game specific (caveat, you do have to have the proper power adapter but that's minor).

As for greatest mod ever, sorry Scott but my vote for that goes to Cliffy protectors.

#46 6 years ago

I'm sorry but I dont see this mod being any different from installing LED bulbs in your game, go buy some LED strip lights for $ 20.00 and install yourself for same effect, definitely not worth their asking price and when you go to their web site they are kind of mysterious about what your actually getting for you money, no actual photo of what will show up in the package, kind of gimmicke to me how they are promoting it and trying to sell it as the CURE ALL Mod for everyone with dark playfields.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

What was the Designers thinking when it comes to WOZ or the New Aliens "ambiance" ? We're they thinking you could play pinball with one of those flashlight headbands. Perhaps its not for every game unless you have pinball line up OCD like I do. It is a must for certain games and depending on your tastes it is a very good compliment on all others. Choose your color and brightness carefully through the custom app and you will be in great shape. If you are an operator in a dark gameroom or Resturaunt / Bar you are missing out if you do not have these on your games. Missing out on all that extra money they earn because people can see them more and it draws more attention to the game! I was skeptical in the beginning as well. Had to take a leap of faith before buying. All I can say is there is no looking back and zero regrets. I might add the build quality on these units are absolutely amazing. There is nothing cheap about the product whatsoever. These things are built to last and feel solid to the touch. The company has impeccable customer service. If you send an email they respond within seconds very attentive to their customers. This speaks a lot about a company.

Jonathan
    Amusement Services of America

I get it, I really do get it. I totally understand what it does...100%. Like I said, it's not for everyone. I'm not a fan but I'm glad that you are. Enjoy!

#48 6 years ago

I would just appreciate if people would always post playfield images on pinside with the pinstadium lighting because dang it makes games easy to see

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from pfinny:

I'm sorry but I dont see this mod being any different from installing LED bulbs in your game, go buy some LED strip lights for $ 20.00 and install yourself for same effect, definitely not worth their asking price and when you go to their web site they are kind of mysterious about what your actually getting for you money, no actual photo of what will show up in the package, kind of gimmicke to me how they are promoting it and trying to sell it as the CURE ALL Mod for everyone with dark playfields.

Here’s what you get.

8F6A6CCD-9592-49B5-AB72-1BD73F56EF7D (resized).jpeg8F6A6CCD-9592-49B5-AB72-1BD73F56EF7D (resized).jpeg

#50 6 years ago

I wouldn't go as far to say they are the greatest mod out there but it's definitely up at the top for me. For my Walking Dead they were a must have. I play in a dark room so when the GI lights dim during multi balls, I had serious trouble tracking the balls. Pin Stadiums helped eliminate that problem for me.

I see everyone posting pictures of the extremes that Pin Stadiums do (either on 100% or off). Here's a good comparison for different levels of brightness. I personally think that 100% brightness on just about any pin is too much and takes away from the original ambient lighting the designers intended on. I put mine at 20% white brightness and 25% red so it gives me just enough light.

Walking Dead Pin Stadium (resized).jpgWalking Dead Pin Stadium (resized).jpg

There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-pinstadium-the-single-greatest-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.