Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by robin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tumblr_9d85e578ab7d49294c53c7e653f20860_a168b4fe_540 (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

#1 6 months ago

I am just trying to sell something.
    UPS needs email address and phone number.
    Dude sends it to me
    Pinside changes it to _______@_______ and ###,###,####
    WTF
    About done with this place.

#2 6 months ago

That stuff should probably be blocked by default in public posts, but not PMs...

#3 6 months ago
    Quoted from metallik:

That stuff should probably be blocked by default in public posts, but not PMs...

agreed. This was a PM
    Annoying

#4 6 months ago

Just checked and I've gotten PMs with phone numbers in the recent past, maybe you hit a bug? Number was 000-111-2222 format

#5 6 months ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Just checked and I've gotten PMs with phone numbers in the recent past, maybe you hit a bug? Number was 000-111-2222 format

I think maybe because the guys account is fairly new. BUT, it already shows me a warning. Why not let me make up my own mind from there.
    ITS TOO MUCH

#6 6 months ago

I just purchased a pair of slings off a fellow and we were able to exchange email address phone numbers and PayPal information with no problem

#8 6 months ago
    Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

I think maybe because the guys account is fairly new. BUT, it already shows me a warning. Why not let me make up my own mind from there.
    ITS TOO MUCH

Hes not a verified acct, that's why.

#9 6 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Hes not a verified acct, that's why.

Probably. but why not let me make up my own mind.
    This world is too full of please please protect me from my own stupidity.

The warning is fine (in fact, the warning is nice). BUT! STOP THERE

#10 6 months ago

Most scammers know how to get around all that stuff anyways.
    He just re-sent it to me with spaces between the characters. LOL....ooooooo I feel so safe now with pinsides annoying blocker system that can so easily be bypassed.

#11 6 months ago

RANT over. Draining my own thread.
    Hopefully the pinside big brother people re-think their level of censorship.

#12 6 months ago

Did this dude just finally rage quit pinside?

#13 6 months ago

100 percent so !

#15 6 months ago

OK, I'll do it.

IBTL

#16 6 months ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Did this dude just finally rage quit pinside?

Yeah...For the moment anyway.

#17 6 months ago

Not sure if this is the first one, but I believe you only get two revives befor permanent.

#18 6 months ago

I mean… huh. There it is. Maybe it was just one of those kind of days for him?

#19 6 months ago

“YOU DON’T CENSOR ME! I CENSOR YOU! I’M OUTTA HERE!!”

#20 6 months ago

Shocked he didn’t get a moderation since they love handing those out for any minor question even if it doesn’t violate the rules!

#21 6 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Not sure if this is the first one, but I believe you only get two revives befor permanent.

Yep, 3rd deactivation is permanent unless you email Robin and beg to be let back on. It’s kinda funny.

#23 6 months ago

Lol Now he can take all his business over to Mr. Pinball

#24 6 months ago

Once you make contact just go to another form of communication such as text. It's easier too.

#25 6 months ago

Barely over a year hear. RIP

#26 6 months ago

Yes, but acted like he was here for 10.

#27 6 months ago

Probably. but why not let me make up my own mind.
    This world is too full of please please protect me from my own stupidity.
    The warning is fine (in fact, the warning is nice). BUT! STOP THERE

My wife works in fraud...let me tell you..there's a reason. Most people are too stupid, and then they want the banks to fix it when they've lost their money.

#28 6 months ago
    Quoted from chad:Barely over a year hear. RIP

He was on like his third or forth avatar/user name here as he kept coming back to troll

-Vulgarity has no place on Pinside

#29 6 months ago

So to sum up:

"This place sucks I can't see his phone number!1!!!!!"

"He resent it, and now I can see his phone number!!!!1!!"

"Fuck this place! ITS TOO MUCH!!1! I'm outta here!!!1!"

#30 6 months ago

I hate it when my freeze peach gets spoiled by draconian overlords trying to protect me from getting scammed. The minor inconvenience of clarifying details is totally not worth it. If I want to send PayPal funds to an overseas prince needing money for pinballs, I should be able to turn on one-click payments here on Pinside.

#thanksrobin

#31 6 months ago

Self Immolation !!
    IBTL !!

tumblr_9d85e578ab7d49294c53c7e653f20860_a168b4fe_540 (resized).jpgtumblr_9d85e578ab7d49294c53c7e653f20860_a168b4fe_540 (resized).jpg
    #32 6 months ago

Wackybrakke!

Whatever the name it's the same amount of miserable.

#33 6 months ago

Oh... Noooo.... he's.... inactive.
    The loss to the community.

#34 6 months ago
    Quoted from chad:

Barely over a year hear. RIP

Quoted from RyanStl:

Yes, but acted like he was here for 10.

That’s because he’s on his 2nd or 3rd account.

I’ll just leave this here… https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thinking-about-selling-my-entire-collection-15-games

#35 6 months ago

I see he was agitated in the charity thread to.

#36 6 months ago

This thread is the equivalent to watching a drunk sh*t his own pants, wake up, and start yelling at others about a foul smell.

#37 6 months ago

Poor little lamb!

#38 6 months ago

I can see his frustration. Tracking down credible leads in the Heisenberg case, is probably stressful.

#39 6 months ago
    Quoted from pokerag2:

Once you make contact just go to another form of communication such as text. It's easier too.

Yes, but unfortunately, scammers often use this to take their conversation to a space they can more easily control to better trick/phish/scam people.

Quoted from Zablon:

My wife works in fraud...let me tell you..there's a reason. Most people are too stupid, and then they want the banks to fix it when they've lost their money.

Brand new and unverified accounts can be the most high risk, so contact info is hidden until they can offer a bit more proof that they aren't a scammer. Scammers can be pretty clever and fool newbies pretty easily, unfortunately. So, a small inconvenience isn't really that terrible if it helps prevent someone from getting scammed. Because *that* is really what's terrible.

#40 6 months ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Yep, 3rd deactivation is permanent unless you email Robin and beg to be let back on. It’s kinda funny.

Begging won't help. But I do take bribes.

Quoted from Zablon:

I wouldn't use the word stupid, many simply don't suspect a scammer to know all the ins and outs of a specific game (hint: some scammers are quite educated!).

RANT over. Draining my own thread.
    Hopefully the pinside big brother people re-think their level of censorship.

Looks like you drained yourself instead of the thread.

I didn't implement this feature just to censor and/or annoy you. Since we have started masking out phone numbers and emails, we've seen a great reduction in potential scams. There is a reason why we've had zero reported scams on Pinside in the past 5 years or so. You can't say that about Craigslist or Facebook, unfortunately.

I know what you're thinking: most scammers are easy to figure out. Poor language and stolen photos etc. But there is a small percentage that shows quite an impressive palet of tactics to make you believe they're for real. They'll take you to Whatsapp and know just the right ways to make you fall for their hoaxes. They'll have you sending in small deposits for local pickups. They'll have legit shipping companies (even the ones we all know and love) reach out to you with a delivery date of the non-existing pinball machine. Man, some of these guys are pretty damn clever.

Most scammers know how to get around all that stuff anyways.
    He just re-sent it to me with spaces between the characters. LOL....ooooooo I feel so safe now with pinsides annoying blocker system that can so easily be bypassed.

Hiding contact details for new and unverified accounts helps a great deal to keep people aware of the fact that scammers are out there (especially when messages come from brand new or unverified accounts). Of course one can go around these blocks by ob f u s c a t i n g phone numbers or email addresses, but, by masking out stuff, we are not just informing you, we are also showing the scammers that Pinside is a protected space and have them move on and stop wasting our time.

But, hey, it's a free world. If you do decide to take your communication off of Pinside and start Whatsapping with some Nigerian prince at least Pinside won't be to blame when you sent a deposit out with nothing to show for it.

Just this week we had a pretty obvious scammer who had sent out a couple dozen PMs to people trying to lure them to text them at a number. Luckily our system found him out quickly and we sent warning messages to all involved recipients to tell them about the possible scammer who had contacted them.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.