(Topic ID: 276592)

Is Pinside the original Kick Starter?

By Chitownpinball

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

95437279-7FAE-4D96-A5F2-36B0F158713E (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

I had a thought this morning about pin mods and the people that make them.

Are we NOT the original Kick Starter?

A person roughly designs a mod.
    The mod gains momentum as people get on the "list".
    The mod evolves as the designer gets people to test, test, test.
    The list gets fulfilled, in the order the list was made, much like early adopters on Kick starter with tiers of who gets their mod when.

Guys, we were ahead of our time.

Has Robin ever thought about incorporating a feature/section dedicated to something like a Kick starter clone?

The profiles for the modders could show:
    Feedback score
    Number of mods made (with links to the threads)
    Relevant video links, maybe pictures of the mods installed on peoples games

Right now, this doesn't really give me any idea of what they make mods for game wise. No content. Just words.

https://pinside.com/pinball/biz/directory/1026-mezel-mods

Plus, the best mods seem to come from one-off users (with exception to a few). Not companies.

I think this might help to document what has been made. So if some one bails on the hobby, we don't lose their contribution.

Lots of potential there. Does any one think this would be cool?

#2 3 years ago

I think there are a lot of members who create great things in their sheds
    it seems to work how it is, why mess with it?

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

I think there are a lot of members who create great things in their sheds
    it seems to work how it is, why mess with it?

Well, I came upon a mod recently that I had no idea existed. If some one hadn't mentioned it in a thread, I would have never have known to dig super deep into the club thread to find it.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Well, I came upon a mod recently that I had no idea existed. If some one hadn't mentioned it in a thread, I would have never have known to dig super deep into the club thread to find it.

You've peaked my interest. Which mod?

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Are we NOT the original Kick Starter?

No because kick starter has been around longer than Pinside has worked like this. Pinside just used to be a normal business model of someone made a mod and then sold them. Recently it has changed into more of what you're talking aboot.

#6 3 years ago
    95437279-7FAE-4D96-A5F2-36B0F158713E (resized).jpeg95437279-7FAE-4D96-A5F2-36B0F158713E (resized).jpeg
    #7 3 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

You've peaked my interest. Which mod?

The Shadow battlefield illumination mod. Pretty killer mod, dude did a really nice job. It amazes me the knowledge in this hobby!

#8 3 years ago

Where did you find such a mod?

#9 3 years ago

A pre-order feature for Pinside shops is in development, which will be very helpful to kickstart cool pinball ideas.

It essentially works like this. You come up with a mod/idea that you can produce. You open a Pinside shop, create a listing for your mod/idea and mark it as "pre-order". Then you communicate about it on the forums and let the community know about it. Pinsiders can now order it and pay a small percentage of the full amount. If the mod is ready for shipping, the shop owner will request the additional payment. If the project fails, the prepayments will be refunded automatically. Well, at least, that's the plan. Like I said, it's work in progress.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinlawyer:

Where did you find such a mod?

Pm me for more info

Quoted from robin:

A pre-order feature for Pinside shops is in development, which will be very helpful to kickstart cool pinball ideas.
    It essentially works like this. You come up with a mod/idea that you can produce. You open a Pinside shop, create a listing for your mod/idea and mark it as "pre-order". Then you communicate about it on the forums and let the community know about it. Pinsiders can now order it and pay a small percentage of the full amount. If the mod is ready for shipping, the shop owner will request the additional payment. If the project fails, the prepayments will be refunded automatically. Well, at least, that's the plan. Like I said, it's work in progress.

Sweeeeet!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-pinside-the-original-kick-starter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.