Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Propaganda
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

both-dying-in-the-cave1.jpg
    chud.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 11 years ago

Lol, you guys are nuts. Robin uses tech that processes your post though Ajax (or equivalent), so it doesn't have to make a full page request. Sometimes, the return data on those gets sploogified, or the script engine never handles it properly.

The reason the post gets through is because the server got the request and processed it, but your browser either never received or failed processing the return data.

I personally recommend you use Chrome as your browser of choice. Install the AdBlock plugin for sure, and sync it across your google account. That gives me access to all my bookmarks, history, settings, etc... Across all of my devices that use Chrome (home laptop, work laptop, work desktop, iPad, s3cell, etc...).

#49 11 years ago

Of course it can happen on all three... It's most likely to be a dropped packet or a server that never sent anything. Sploogified is my fancy term for "lost in the ether".

That's when most people's code will wait forever for the return (why you see the spinning circle forever, even though the post has been made).

The two paragraphs were meant to be de-coupled, I probably could have written it better. I didn't blame a specific browser, but I am definitely recommending chrome for all the reasons I listed. That was done in response to some people saying they use Firefox.

#52 11 years ago

It's not the browser, its the javascript that's being run.

A suggestion might be for Robin to include code that kicks off a timer, and asynchronously checks for the status of the post, instead of waiting on an ajax return.

I should add that I have not ever looked at Robin's code, so I may be completely misstating how he has his tech set up, but the general concept of what I am telling you holds true.

#55 11 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It's not the browser, its the javascript that's being run

Quoted from robin:

The issue with the spinning "posting your reply" message is not browser related

I agree...........

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-pinside-dying?tu=wolfmarsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.