Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Propaganda
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

both-dying-in-the-cave1.jpg
    chud.png
    There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

or sick?

Several times in the last few days I go to post something and I go to an error page. I click back and try posting again and it works, but it's actually a double post.

Also, I went to the Events page and it listed 16 events. Clicked the Pinagogo More Info link and got an error page. Now when I click on Events it says there aren't any.

I DEMAND BETTER FROM THIS FREE SERVICE.

#2 11 years ago

It is the amount of traffic. When people post random images it takes up space. That is why you can turn images off. If everybody did that it would be a lot faster.

I am sure Robin may have a better answer, but that is the short version.

#3 11 years ago

390 users last looked. Used to be under 200 - where has everybody appeared from?!!

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Several times in the last few days I go to post something and I go to an error page. I click back and try posting again and it works, but it's actually a double post.

I get the error a lot as well. Always assume that it actually posted.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

390 users last looked. Used to be under 200 - where has everybody appeared from?!!

RGP

#6 11 years ago

where has everybody appeared from?!!

chud.pngchud.png

#7 11 years ago

Cannabalistic Human Underground Dwellars......oh nooooooooo

#8 11 years ago

Now I can't see avatars or high score initials.

both-dying-in-the-cave1.jpgboth-dying-in-the-cave1.jpg

#9 11 years ago

You mean it wasn't my pc?

#10 11 years ago

I never get that error

#11 11 years ago

I get that error only when I forget to select a sub-forum for the topic... do it right and you'll live to see another day!

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Okay.

LTG : )

#13 11 years ago

I don't know if it is dying but it sure smells like it sometimes.

#14 11 years ago

Try a different browser. Firefox rarely gets errors here for me. Slow sometimes, but not many errors.

#15 11 years ago

Firefox browser works well for me. IE not so well.

Rick. "I'm gonna have me some fun." #190

#16 11 years ago

Far from dying. Anyone been on RGP lately? I was there today and I swear a tumbleweed actually rolled across my screen (just kidding RGP spies... I love RGP too!)

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

or sick?
    Also, I went to the Events page and it listed 16 events. Clicked the Pinagogo More Info link and got an error page. Now when I click on Events it says there aren't any.

Donation Police will soon be bugging you.

#18 11 years ago

Errors? What errors? I've yet to see one & I'm surfing here every day with IE9. The only thing I have noticed is slow load times occasionally. Site works great for me other than that.

#19 11 years ago

The problem that I see most often is when I post a reply, I get the message saying "posting reply, this could take some time" and it just spins, and spins, and spins. I usually have to refresh the page.

#20 11 years ago

I usually just click back to the forum page but it will then show my post I just made as new to me.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

The problem that I see most often is when I post a reply, I get the message saying "posting reply, this could take some time" and it just spins, and spins, and spins. I usually have to refresh the page.

Yeah, there is quite a bit of latency.

#22 11 years ago

Maybe it is "the cloud?"

#23 11 years ago

My computer works smoother with Firefox.

#24 11 years ago

Lol, you guys are nuts. Robin uses tech that processes your post though Ajax (or equivalent), so it doesn't have to make a full page request. Sometimes, the return data on those gets sploogified, or the script engine never handles it properly.

The reason the post gets through is because the server got the request and processed it, but your browser either never received or failed processing the return data.

I personally recommend you use Chrome as your browser of choice. Install the AdBlock plugin for sure, and sync it across your google account. That gives me access to all my bookmarks, history, settings, etc... Across all of my devices that use Chrome (home laptop, work laptop, work desktop, iPad, s3cell, etc...).

#25 11 years ago

might be slowing down. Only took 20 min for my tech questions to get 2 pages deep.

#26 11 years ago

You must pick a section on the site where the post is to be made,(sub forum), If you don't it will give this error

#27 11 years ago

Agree sites been slow but its the traffic. I'm glad there is traffic and that means pinball is growing!!

#28 11 years ago

Never had a problem on Safari but don't know if it's related.

#29 11 years ago

Someone's got to teach you how to replace a flipper rubber.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Someone's got to teach you how to replace a flipper rubber.

Overrated. I just sell/trade off the machine when any sort of maintenance is required.

#31 11 years ago

Pinside is not dying! It's more alive than it ever was - in fact, there's too many of you and the server is simply struggling during peak hours. Working on upgrades, stay tuned

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

It is the amount of traffic. When people post random images it takes up space. That is why you can turn images off. If everybody did that it would be a lot faster.
    I am sure Robin may have a better answer, but that is the short version.

Maybe as the site grows Robin could have images offsite like Reddit does? On Imgur or something similar?

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from DEWSHO:

Maybe as the site grows Robin could have images offsite like Reddit does? On Imgur or something similar?

Robin has said in the past that he wants to host all images directly on the site so that they will always be available in the future. There is nothing more annoying than finding an old post on RGP with a link to a photo album that no longer exists.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Overrated. I just sell/trade off the machine when any sort of maintenance is required.

copycat

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Robin has said in the past that he wants to host all images directly on the site so that they will always be available in the future. There is nothing more annoying than finding an old post on RGP with a link to a photo album that no longer exists.

Well then I guess I better donate. Damn, paypal only? If there is no other way I will create an account. Let me know mr. moderator.

#36 11 years ago

Dewsho, you don't need to create an account to donate through Paypal. You can just use your credit card without creating an account.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from Marten:

Never had a problem on Safari but don't know if it's related.

Running Safari on a Windows pc right now- very reliable.

#38 11 years ago

Morally, yes.

#40 11 years ago

When you get that error do not post again but load pinside up in another tab and check your post is there. Every time I have done this it is. Saves the double posts.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from alchy999:

When you get that error do not post again but load pinside up in another tab and check your post is there.

Yeah. If that circle is moving you post is already up. I always just close the tab and move on. You will see that thread has 1 unread message in it immediatly which is yours.

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

might be slowing down. Only took 20 min for my tech questions to get 2 pages deep.

i need to ask easier tech questions.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Pinside is not dying! It's more alive than it ever was - in fact, there's too many of you and the server is simply struggling during peak hours. Working on upgrades, stay tuned

Robin,not sure if this is relative ? Even when I sign off Pinside shows me as logged on.
    I realize I'm on here alot but not 24/7

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

Robin,not sure if this is relative ? Even when I sign off Pinside shows me as logged on.

It takes a while for you to drop off. Keep hitting the refresh button and you'll eventually disappear.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

That's because the query looks at the last 20 or 30 minutes of activity (I'm not sure what it was). So it takes a while before you fall of the list of active Pinsiders.

Quoted from DEWSHO:

One of the things I'm investigating is a more scalable storage, as Pinside keeps running out of disk space on the main server. I'm currently looking at utilising Amazon S3 storage for all file uploads.

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Lol, you guys are nuts. Robin uses tech that processes your post though Ajax (or equivalent), so it doesn't have to make a full page request. Sometimes, the return data on those gets sploogified, or the script engine never handles it properly.
    The reason the post gets through is because the server got the request and processed it, but your browser either never received or failed processing the return data.
    I personally recommend you use Chrome as your browser of choice. Install the AdBlock plugin for sure, and sync it across your google account. That gives me access to all my bookmarks, history, settings, etc... Across all of my devices that use Chrome (home laptop, work laptop, work desktop, iPad, s3cell, etc...).

lol!

I'm using Chrome! The issue with posting replies is horrendous on Chrome. I've also tried Firefox *and* Safari. It's the same on all three browsers.

The logical conclusion...it's not the browser!

#47 11 years ago

I am using Chrome and have never had a problem, never seen the error pages you are talking about. Runs fast, and clean. Maybe you have something wrong with your computer?

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from kporter946286:

I am using Chrome and have never had a problem, never seen the error pages you are talking about. Runs fast, and clean. Maybe you have something wrong with your computer?

If you are talking to me, I never said a word about any "error message".

#49 11 years ago

Of course it can happen on all three... It's most likely to be a dropped packet or a server that never sent anything. Sploogified is my fancy term for "lost in the ether".

That's when most people's code will wait forever for the return (why you see the spinning circle forever, even though the post has been made).

The two paragraphs were meant to be de-coupled, I probably could have written it better. I didn't blame a specific browser, but I am definitely recommending chrome for all the reasons I listed. That was done in response to some people saying they use Firefox.

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

If you are talking to me, I never said a word about any "error message".

Sorry, I was quoting the OP and forgot to quote him.

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-pinside-dying/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.