(Topic ID: 50222)

Is Pinball your only hobby?

By littlecammi

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2841_1052144668808_410910_n.jpg
    2841_1052144508804_1106039_n.jpg
    462605_5001119790718_1996104626_o.jpg
    1d184992d0ea61543e4b1c517b2269c3_larg.jpeg
    wpid-IMG_20130504_123406.jpeg
    IMG_0184.JPG
    pinball_guns.jpg
    BRP_&_West_Virginia_2003_040.jpg
    CT70.JPG
    R1150_GS_Adventure.JPG
    Brian_s_GS_Adventure.jpg
    308203cc-6fa5-4965-8eb7-d1509366108f.jpg
    2010_TO_2012_553.JPG
    46e0f8c62ca0d73f35e3c96d886875c2.jpg
    33bc94e1d35ae10750ed30a4b075eef8.jpg
    My_Harley.jpg

There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 10 years ago

Is Pinball even your number one hobby?

I've had German shepherd dogs for the last 20 years that have been the very best things in my life. I have two now (ages 1 and 11) that are more fun to play with than anything else.

Besides a 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT as my daily driver, I have collected 4 "hobby"cars:
    1996 Mustang SVT Cobra, 2001 Mustang SVT Cobra, 2008 Shelby GT500, 2013 Camaro ZL1

I have 15 pinball machines and 2 linked Cruis'n Exotica video games. The 12 pins that fit in my gameroom are my personal favorites. Adding a new game would mean bumping one of them.

I have 9 electric guitars, bass guitar, three Fender amps, and assorted keyboard synthesizer and recording gear that I use to play and record my own jazz-rock instrumental compositions.

I have an 80" flatscreen TV with surround sound system wired through the walls and a collection of over 1500 movies (and growing) in various video formats (from BR to DVD to VHS).

(Several lesser hobbies omitted here to save time and space.)

My wife is aggravated by my need to collect everything. If cars are my number one hobby (after the dogs, and certainly my most expensive hobby), maybe I should sell my BBB and MB and my 1964 pre-CBS Fender Stratocaster in order to afford another modern muscle car a couple years from now? I'd still have 13 pins and 8 electric guitars left, just not the best ones.

#2 10 years ago

Sounds like you should be on that Hoarders show

#4 10 years ago

No.

Freshwater fish
    Music (Guitar, Bass, Drums, Vocals)
    Beer
    Cooking
    Cars (Mostly driving other peoples nice cars now, sold mine for pinball LOL)
    Hockey
    Softball

Im sure im missing some stuff.

#5 10 years ago

Yeah, I've got the car, music and movie hobbies too. Current toy car is an 88 Porsche 944, 7 pins in the game room, tons of musical gear, I own over 1,000 movies and have probably seen near 5,000 in my lifetime. I used to clock about 500 a year for a few years before having to work full-time. Writing is a big hobby of mine two, recently finished my first novel! Going through the revision process now.

Plus, since I do video work, I also make narrative shorts and such when time allows (corporate video pays the bills, but narrative feeds my soul), so I have a decent amount of gear for film production. Here's one of the quirky shorts I've shot (this one for the 48 Hour Film Project 2011 in Greensboro):

Would have a lot more free money if I wasn't involved in so many hobbies...

#6 10 years ago

Astronomy and collecting Karakuri Japanese Trick (puzzle) Boxes.

#7 10 years ago

Vintage Skateboards

#8 10 years ago

Flying model rockets.

Flying RC planes.

Shooting. Fishing.

Anything raspberry pi.

Electronic hacking - just getting started on this, it is very exciting! Gonna learn a little python along the way.

Teenagers! Raising them, not hunting them

#9 10 years ago

Hobby #1. Alcoholism

Hobby #2. Bacon

Hobby #3. Pinball/Arcade

#10 10 years ago

Maybe I just worded the thread title poorly. What I am really interested in is more like:
    "If pinball isn't your number one hobby, would you sell off some pins to support another of your hobbies?"

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Anything raspberry pi.

I wish my brain didnt hurt every time i tried to use mine for anything but openelec.

#12 10 years ago

This post sounds like an avenue to brag about all your sh**. Now, with that being said, it sounds like some pretty nice sh**.

#13 10 years ago

Flying rocks.
    Now I go to get a glider licence.

#14 10 years ago

My first hobby is my kids...they suck all my time and money...mostly a good thing haha

#15 10 years ago

My hobbies (in order)

1) Chasing women
    2) Drinking beer
    3) Fishing
    4) Running
    5) Pinball

#16 10 years ago

I've got a few things I do on the side for fun, but most of my non-work time is taken up caring for my 9 dogs. All are rescues, and all have special needs. One with cancer, one with heart failure, and we go through 6 pounds of dry food a night. If I had to sell a pin to take care of them, I would do it. Otherwise, pinball is my most expensive hobby and I don't see myself selling a pin to fund any other interests at this point. (Of course, I just started last year with the higher prices and don't have pin equity built up like most of you do.)

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

My first hobby is my kids...they suck all my time and money...mostly a good thing haha

My brain first read this post just as: "My first hobby is my kids...they suck".

The second read through proved to be less funny, but a little bit nicer.

#18 10 years ago

My son just dented our neighbours car playing basketball 2 days ago. $615.00 dollars damage. That does suck...damn kids cutting into my beer and pinball fund...

#19 10 years ago

Who has all that time and money for other hobbies ?

#20 10 years ago

my hobbies

1) pinball
    2) dune buggies
    3) drumming
    4) r/c cars (the really nice kind)
    5) skateboarding

#21 10 years ago

Other hobbies? Huh? You mean there are other things in life besides pinball?
    I used to collect and tinker on hot rods but it became too costly, so I switched and got into pins. They are soooo much cheaper. Hah!

#22 10 years ago

The original post seems like its just bragging lol.
    Im into music too but don't have a band at the moment and Im into miniature wargaming. Also a big nba and cricket fan

#23 10 years ago

1. Computer controlled Christmas lights to set to music!
    2. Pinball Playing and Restoring
    3. Coaching Softball (My Daughter 14U)

#24 10 years ago

Today pinball is feeling more like work than a hobby.

I like gardening too. Right now I'm watering. Not so much work there.

#25 10 years ago

Hobbies in order

1 - gym (I am not sure if you count going to the gym a couple hours a day a hobby?)
    2 - pinball
    3 - camping (swap with pinball in the summer)

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

so I switched and got into pins. They are soooo much cheaper. Hah!

ya, until you buy a restored BBB or MB

#27 10 years ago

I probably should of typed Not! instead of Hah!, as it was meant to be sarcastic.

#28 10 years ago

I count gym...

Gym
    Home Theater
    Guitar
    Pinball

In no particular order.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

I probably should of typed Not! instead of Hah!, as it was meant to be sarcastic.

i knew you were being sarcastic, i can sense sarcasticness from a mile away!

#30 10 years ago

Coaching Little League
    Sports Cards
    Hanging out with the Dogs (we have 2 pugs)
    Movies
    Pinball

#31 10 years ago

pinball.. of course.
    r/c helicopter/quadrocopter
    still a dj every weekends, music/animation, mc is a big part of my life.
    renovations (house is 100+ years old) coming along great.
    used to do fishtank, not enough time now.

#32 10 years ago

Pinball is my winter time hobby. Summer I spend most of time outside doing thing and stocking up pin projects for the winter.

#33 10 years ago

1) Triathlon - Doing Ironman TX next weekend
    2)Pinball
    3)Sleep

#34 10 years ago

Nope. Dark Rides and Fun Houses. Helped form: WWW.laffinthedark.com years ago. ~ SpOoKy

#35 10 years ago

NFA stamp collecting.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyd044:

Vintage Skateboards

I'd like to hear (or see) what you've got!

#37 10 years ago

Architecture
    Pinball
    growing trees

#38 10 years ago

The collector mentality is a fun life style. My wife gets frustrated as well. We have substantial collections in 9 categories , and at this stage in life pinball is the most fun. Everything else other than cars , are display only.

#39 10 years ago

Lego Minifigures...
    Dogs

#40 10 years ago

Scratch DJing, beat making and record digging is my true love
    I also play a lot of soocer
    but arcade games and pinball are heavily in the mix

#41 10 years ago

Fantasy Football!

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from BackFlipper:

Fantasy Football!

Oh yeah for sure...didn't even think of that. Probably becasue of my poor finish last season...from best to 4th....goddamn Gronk.

#43 10 years ago

Golf. It's finally spring in the northeast!

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from BackFlipper:

Fantasy Football!

Forgot all about that! Fantasy football is the only one I get into. I run 1 league (21st year) and am in 2 others. I used to only watch the Steelers, but I watch them all now. Drives the wife crazy watching the NFL Redzone.

#45 10 years ago

In addition to pinball:

Home Improvement
    Restoration (beer signs, arcades, pinballs, gumballs)
    Camping
    Rafting
    Photography

#46 10 years ago

Frikkin best thing EVAR!!!!

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Frikkin best thing EVAR!!!!

I agree. The wife says it just fed the addiction! Pretty sad when I have the laptop and iPad going, have the remote set to flip between the Steelers game and NFL Redzone and start getting butterflies at 12:55pm. Not sure it still qualifies as a hobby!

#48 10 years ago

Nope, I have no less than a dozen others..

Golf Cart Restoration and Modification~mostly a Springtime hobby...I get a few over the Winter, restore them and sell them at Spring Carlisle swap meet in PA

16mm Film Collecting~I have one of the largest privately owned Drive-In Intermission film collections in New England (Over 12,000 films in my collection)

1967 Ford Mustang (have owned +/- 350 of them!) Love that car!

2007 Ford Mustang (First one of this generation, really like it!)

Nixie Tubes that I make into clocks & other counting devices.

Drive-In Theaters! I have my own drive-in set up on my property. Nearly every weekend in the decent weather we run a show-complete with cartoons, trailers of upcoming shows and of course, intermission.

N-Scale Trains...another Winter hobby as it keeps me busy inside on miserable days. One of my oldest hobbies...been doing it since I was 5 years old.

Collecting comic books...NOT the lame-ass superhero crap that's crammed into pop culture, but the REAL comics from the 1950's. I collect only E.C.'s. I have nearly every pre-code E.C. ever printed. Still need a few, but man, what great comics those are.

Currency Collecting, U.S. only and pre-1928. This hobby comes & goes but I really enjoy it.

DVD Collecting-I have, at last count over 73,000 discs in my archives. While this number may seem high, when I used to collect LaserDiscs, I had close to 125,000 in my collection. I needed to store these off-site as they took up an inordinate amount of room. And HEAVY!! I still have a few that are and probably never will be available on DVD format, but sadly it is a dead format.

Urban Exploring. One of the few hobbies that does not require space to store stuff in! if you've never tried it and have an interest in history, try it! Be safe, though.

Lastly, I build Tesla Coils/Jacobs Ladders. For those of you not familiar, those are what you see in the background of old monster movies. I built my 1st one when I was around 11 years old. I've been zapped MANY times but it is a cool hobby. Freaks people out at parties!

I'm sure I have a few more but those are my top hobbies.
    Doc

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

have the remote set to flip between the Steelers game and NFL Redzone and start getting butterflies at 12:55pm.

AS a Steelers fan abroad, I'm always thankful they are a popular team and usually on TV here.

#50 10 years ago

Fantasy baseball/football
    Coaching 8th grade boys football/basketball
    Star Wars memorabilia
    Movie score soundtracks (over 600)

There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-pinball-your-only-hobby and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.